Archive for Monday, December 28, 2009

Tonganoxie couple taking retirement as an opportunity to move somewhere warmer: Kenya

A roadside fruit vendor in Nairobi, Kenya, prepares his goods for sale on Tuesday, Dec. 29, 2009. John and Cindy Korb of Tonganoxie will leave next week for Kenya, where they will serve for 3 1/2 years doing mission work.

December 28, 2009

It’s popular for some people, when they retire, to move to a warmer locale.

Tonganoxie’s John and Cindy Korb will be taking that route, but the destination will come by anything but the routine retirement migration.

The former Tonganoxie teachers will leave next week for Kenya where they will serve for 3 1/2 years doing mission work for Maryknoll Lay Missioners, a Catholic organization with missioners in 14 countries.

The couple sold their Tonganoxie home of 21 years. They bought a smaller house they call “home base” in Tonganoxie, but have let go of more than half of their possessions.

“You learn material possessions aren’t important,” Cindy said. “It’s those personal relationships.”

John will turn 55 next month and Cindy is 54. Both taught for more than 30 years.

Their retirement destination will be familiar territory. In 2005, they went to Kenya to visit their oldest daughter, Katrina, who had just graduated from college and was working for Homeless Children International. John and Cindy worked with Kenyan youths that summer. That experience prompted a return for a few weeks in 2007.

In 2008, they started to discuss what they wanted to do when they retired. They contemplated extended mission work.

Cindy was doing research on missioners in summer 2008 when she found information about Maryknoll Lay Missioners. There was one catch: the registration deadline was that day.

“I was out mowing grass,” John recalled. “She came running out ‘John, how serious are we?’ ”

The answer was “very.”

“We just feel like we’ve been blessed all our life and this is our chance to give back something to the world,” Cindy said.

In December 2008, the couple ventured to Ossining, N.Y., for a three-day interview process. And earlier this year, they completed a 13-week training session. John and Cindy said there was a great deal of information to absorb during the training and they’re most concerned about learning the language. John also noted it was difficult to transition from being the teacher to the student, though Cindy said that wasn’t a factor for her.

“They kept saying we’re going to learn more from people we’re with than what we’re teaching them,” Cindy said.

When training was completed, the Korbs took part in a sending ceremony, in which organizers “send you on your way,” Cindy said.

For the ceremony, missioners are called forth to their respective countries in the native languages. The Korbs were welcomed in Swahili.

There were a few countries in which the Korbs could have served, but they selected Kenya because educational needs were the greatest there.

Though John and Cindy will no longer be in the same country as their youngest daughter, Andrea, who lives in New York, they’ll be on the same continent as their oldest daughter. Katrina is a visiting lecturer at the University of Jos in Nigeria.

“I am excited that my parents are going overseas,” Katrina said. “It takes at least a year to learn how to interact within culture, so I think that going overseas for an extended period of time is the best way to make an impact.”

The couple leaves for Kenya on Jan. 1.

Comments

Jimo 4 years, 3 months ago

Boston_Corbett - it's not just Marion. I once had a very interesting exchange with one of the LJW folks about "ad hominem" arguments and it quickly became apparent that they didn't correctly understand the term either. Apparently, "ad hominem" was the equivalent of "not nice" to their minds. The actual substance of the argument was irrelevant.

Of course, an ad hominem argument is that X is wrong because X is stupid. It is a response that attacks the speaker in lieu of actual evidence or argument.

Boston_Corbett:

Please give examples and citations which support your claims.

And please also cease with the personal attacks.

Or shut up; one or the other.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Reading "Marion on American Foreign Relations" is almost as hilarious as reading "Marion on Public Health," "Marion on Race Relations," "Marion on Why My Marketing is Not Fraudulent," "Marion on the Holocaust," and "Marion on Taxes."

Two of his favorite labels are "Red Herring" and "Ad Hominem" although he not infrequently demonstrates he is incapable of correctly using them.

A living, breathing, example of a "child left behind."

sunflower_sue 4 years, 3 months ago

My oldest child was taught by both John and Cindy. (My hubby was also taught by John...way back when.) They are great people and great teachers. I certainly wish them well on this selfless journey and grand adventure.

KansasPerson;

Try reading my post.

"..none of you...", refers to you and your ilk.(What are "ilk", anyway? Do they travel in herds or flocks?)

I made no reference to any board of directors or concealing any information from boards of directors.

Your patheic attempt at spin is exposed.

Thanks for it at least being sort of cute as it went by.

KansasPerson 4 years, 3 months ago

Okay, let me see if I understand Marion's reasoning.

Helping someone in the USA = Good Helping someone in a foreign country = Bad (as long as there is still any need in the USA)

What about if I help someone in the U.S. and also someone in another country? Do I get one gold star, or does the bad Foreign help cancel out the good American help?

"Suffice it to say that am familiar with fundraising for non-profit groups and were I to work with such groups, any such work would be conducted within my skill set and none of you would ever know who was pulling the strings, pushing the buttons or developing the fundraising plans, nor should you."

Seriously??? Oh, the important place in the universe held by Marion and his secret works..... I feel so inconsequential now! If you were to help out with a non-profit of which I am a member of the board of directors, I would not know about your involvement, "nor should I?" Not according to our bylaws. For the good of the organization, you'd better believe I'd know about it.

p.s. You know next to nothing about real missionary work.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 3 months ago

all that hot air feels good on a chilly december afternoon. i feel like warming my hands in front of marion's mouth.

brujablanco 4 years, 3 months ago

I love it when a plan comes together.....................

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

Irish, The Marshall plan was about rebuilding countries devastated by war and was in the best interest of the USA because a strong and free Europe would be important in the then-coming fifty year fight against Communism; otherwise known as the Cold War.

Comparing the Marshall Plan to sending aid to Africa is classic comparison of apples to oranges.

Postwar Europe was controlled by the victorious Allies and delivery of assistance and cooperation by the locals was assured.

As an example, the streets of Berlin were cleared largely by hand; the work done by the surviving residents themselves.

Much of Africa, on the other hand, is very much like a Wild West on steroids; largely controlled by petty warlords; albeit, well armed petty warlords, central govenrments exist in name only and like nothing we know and as the result most of the goods sent in the form of aid are seized by thos warlods and their armies to disappear into the black market.

Delivering aid to Africa is pretty much like pouring it down a well.

I must also point out that the Korbs are Christian missionaries going to Africa to engage primarily in missionary, work who if engaged in such missionary work on Massachusetts Street would be treated by certain posters hereabouts as have been the other church groups who preach on the street corners.

The Korbs are exempt from this religious persecution because they are going to Africa and going to Africa is Oh!; So PC!

brujablanco 4 years, 3 months ago

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 3 months ago

What about the Marshall Act that helped to rebuild Europe after World War 11 and American soldiers handing out food to children, when there were American children at home going hungry?

ivalueamerica 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion, why are you the way you are? What happened to you?

brujablanco 4 years, 3 months ago

Not much irritates me more than the stereotype that to be liberal is to be full of guilt. To be socially liberal, in my opinion, is to be more mindful of compassion and empathy for others.

Guilt and shame are two completely different emotions. Calling others "America haters" is just proof positive, Marion, that you are incapable of feeling shame for the sins of our forefathers and because of that are just as stunted, if not more, than those who are not capable of being proud of those forefather's glories. I can understand, sadly, by denying any cuplability you have somehow recast the shame felt by some into a character flaw, a political weakness, or maybe even emotionalism as it serves your most basic purpose in life; the hatred of non-whites and a return to 1950's America. I pity your inability to feel shame - negative self-reflection is difficult and can be used for postitive change or can by turned against itself in denial. You make it crystal clear daily which road you have chosen in lfe.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

Firstly, the question of what I do/do not do in connection with fundraising/charitable work/"helping" folks in the USA is nothing but a Red Herring.

That is the sort of "argument" in which teenaged girls engage around the booths at the coffee shops or when arguing with their parents.

I have expressed a well-though-out opinion that aid should not be sent offshore but rather concentrated in the USA until we have our own problems solved.

I do not need to justify that opinion by holding up any good works which I may do/not do to the scrutiny of a steaming cesspool of internet haters.

Were I to do so, any organisation which which I work/do not work would be instantly attacked by the denizens of that steaming cesspool anyway, as that population is only about trying to to damage anyway.

I do not submit my opinions for your approval.

It's none of your business.

I am told that my opinion that aid should remain in the USA is "racist"; that my opinion is "anit"semetec"(sic); that my opinion is "xenophobic"; that I hate Africa and Africans, when in point of fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

I think the reality here is that I have quite unintentionally exposed a fairly large group of America haters; a group infested with White Liberal Guilt, which group would rather see our great nation dissolved at the expence of "a starving child in Africa".

The fact is that in the long run there is very little that we or anyone else can do to resolve or even siginificantly afffect the many problems which face the Dark Continent and essentially anything we do there is a waste of time, energy, effort, materials, goods and services and funding.

We should take care of our own and keep America First!

KansasPerson 4 years, 3 months ago

I wish you better luck getting an answer to that question than the rest of us had, Mel!

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 3 months ago

so marion.... what are YOU doing to help less priviledged youth here in america?

brujablanco 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion's problem is not that the Korbs are helping non-Americans so much as non-Americans with dark skin. Marion hates non whites. Simple.

Boston can really yank your chain, can't he, Marion? The bell rings and the smelly dog comes runnin'. HAHAHAHAHA.

Marion Sydney Lynn is the stalker here.

yankeevet 4 years, 3 months ago

The Mungiki, Kenya

Membership: as many as 100,000 men from the Kikuyu, Kenya’s largest ethnic group

Stronghold: the slums of Nairobi, where they manage multimillion-dollar rackets over everything from electricity to public transportation

Known for: formerly, for dreadlocks and bathing in blood; now, for forced female circumcision and the beheading of any opposition, be they members of rival ethnic groups or disloyal minibus drivers

Why they’re dangerous: The Mungiki are just one of Kenya’s many machete-wielding ethnic gangs—some of which sport names like the “Kosovo Boys” or the “Taliban” (an entirely Christian gang that apparently just thought the name sounded tough). But in recent years, the Mungiki, whose name means “multitude” in the Kikuyu language, have become a political force. Most recently, they played a central role in the violence and chaos that wracked Kenya for months before and after its last presidential election. Seven months before the December vote, severed heads began appearing mounted on poles in Nairobi, marking the worst of a spike in Mungiki violence that analysts attribute to rising distrust between gang leaders and Kikuyu politicians. Kenyan police responded to the violent outbreaks by arresting or killing many gang members. But after the hotly contested election on Dec. 27, in which Mwai Kibaki, the Kikuyu incumbent, claimed a dubious win over challenger Raila Odinga, the Mungiki reemerged in full force, brutally killing women and children from rival, pro-opposition ethnic groups. For now, Kenya is at peace after Kibaki and Odinga agreed upon a power-sharing deal. But if instability returns, the Mungiki could help throw the country back into a sea of violence.

thewayne 4 years, 3 months ago

Left_handed; i was drunk, but dont tell me you buy into his pscho babble bs. medecitian? what is that?

Left_handed 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion,

Seems to me that your last reply to thewayne was you reaching out to help a needy American. Certainly one so bereft of basic communication skills is needy, indeed.

Only a needy American would think that you are rediculas and have a lack of indescretion. Either that or one who is off his medecitian.

thewayne 4 years, 3 months ago

Ha Marion you are funny, and by the way, my girlfriend is way hot. does that count? and actually i can spell quite well, winner of five spelling bee awards in my younger days when all we had to live by was the fear of the gun. anyway, keep it rollin. and if it helps, i hate you and you are so racist that i am appalled at your lack of indescretion. isnt it past your curfew, i know your moms asleep by now. nite buddy.

"thewayne (Anonymous) says…

Marion you are rediculas, and why haven't you answered that question? it seems simple enough to even match your intelligance. if you dont actually help anyone out but yourself then you have no reason to comment on things you obviously know nothing about, i hope Boston_Corbett finds you. i feel he is getting close. and no, i cant spell."

Marion writes:

You could learn to spell if you valued yourself enough to go do it.

Lots of online courses and you would improve your online presence by about 10.000 %.

I'm "NOT" messing with you; telling you the truth.

You are smart enough to get online; you are smart enough to learn to spell.

Not being able to spell ain't no sin; the schools don't even require you to know how.

Aw, crap!

I hate it when I do things things like this.

I'll even help find "FREE" methods to help you learn to spell if you want.

Oops!

I just busted out and will now sign off for the night.

Hit me up.

"thewayne (Anonymous) says…

now whos the stalker? anyway, my girlfriend made me appoligize. yes i meant what i wrote, arn't you who people refer to when they say, dont feed the troll? im not gonna feed you. you have enough to deal with."

Marion writes:

I know very well that you meant what you wrote.

I deal with very little and am sorry for you that your GF has the power over you to make you do things that you really do not want to do.

Behold: The Power of The GF!

You are still off my island as the PC ones say.

You obviously have no willingness or ability to support your own opinions and by your own admission are subject to the influences of a third party.

Your input is therefore negated, very much as would be the input of a paid blogger because you, in your own way are being paid by proffering the "apology".

Happy to know that you are submissive to people who can "Make you do things"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpoLxE... Marion writes:

Sit!

Stay!

Salivate!

thewayne 4 years, 3 months ago

"thewayne (Anonymous) says…

sorry marion, for the name calling. after all, your sooo frustrating"

Marion writes:

Your problem; not mine.

Maybe you should search "Comfort Foods" on Google.

Apology "NOT" accepted.

You wrote what you meant and you meant what you wrote.

You do not get to come back from messing with me............

...ever....................

thewayne 4 years, 3 months ago

sorry marion, for the name calling. after all, your sooo frustrating

thewayne 4 years, 3 months ago

perhaps Doritos or chocolate chip cookies will make you go away, troll.

"thewayne (Anonymous) says…

frustrated"

Marion writes:

Perhaps Doritos or chocolate chip cookies will help you deal with your frustrations.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 3 months ago

KansasPerson 4 years, 3 months ago

I think Maryknoll only sends lay missioners to Africa, South America, and Asia, anyway.

thewayne 4 years, 3 months ago

frustrated

"milehighhawk (Anonymous) says…

Marion is the type of person who doesn't hesitate to denigrate the selfless actions of others while doing nothing themselves.

Go to hell."

Marion writes:

Now there is an intellgent and meaningful reply!

"KansasPerson (Anonymous) says…

Hahahahaha!!! Now ask me if I talk to God via the Internet, Marion!"

Marion writes:

Do you talk to "God" via the interent?

KansasPerson 4 years, 3 months ago

Hahahahaha!!! Now ask me if I talk to God via the Internet, Marion! It's so amusing to watch you duck the relevant question.

Cartemus 4 years, 3 months ago

I spelled your name correctly, Marion, and you still haven't answered. I'll just assume it is because you're too busy with your domestic humanitarian causes.

"KansasPerson (Anonymous) says…

I find it interesting that Marian has not yet answered the question of “What have YOU done for the American needy?”

Since it is such a high-priority on his or her “to do” list, I should think that it is something Marian would not mind mentioning, but there is nothing but complete silence!

Come on M — we await your answer!"

marion writes:

Learn to spell and address the correct person and we just might have something to discuss.

KansasPerson 4 years, 3 months ago

I find it interesting that Marian has not yet answered the question of "What have YOU done for the American needy?"

Since it is such a high-priority on his or her "to do" list, I should think that it is something Marian would not mind mentioning, but there is nothing but complete silence!

Come on M -- we await your answer!

"Jimo (Anonymous) says…

“I simply place The United States first on my “Help” list.”

God doesn't."

Marion writes:

Never wrote what God thinks but are you claiming to know what your "God" does or does not want or do?

Tell, me, is information from your "God" delivered to you via the Interent, through visions or via celestial conveyor?

angelmom 4 years, 3 months ago

I know the Korbs personally, they are the best people you will every meet. They have been helping American childern for 30+ years. They want to make a change in the world, what is wrong with that?

Cartemus 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion, may I ask what you're currently doing to help the poor in America?

Jimo 4 years, 3 months ago

"I simply place The United States first on my “Help” list."

God doesn't.

yankeevet 4 years, 3 months ago

Is that a picture of the Hy-Vee store over there in Kenya??

KS 4 years, 3 months ago

Take Obama back with them to their homeland.

sadistnations 4 years, 3 months ago

marion is the biggest troll on here. he strives for attention because irl he gets none what so ever. period. oh and marion. irl means "in real life'' now gtfo.

Marion writes:

They treat missionaries really well in Kenya:

"On December 12, 2009 in Kerochi, 190 miles from the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, Fr. Jeremiah Roche was killed by robbers. Fr. Roche was a Kiltegan Missionary (St. Patrick Missionaries). They broke in his home after cutting the metal grille of his window. He was stripped naked, tied on a chair and then stabbed in the throat. The assassins took with them a DC player, two cell phones and his blood stained clothes which were later found. Fr. Jeremiah , a native of Ireland from the town of Limerick served as a missionary in Kenya for 41 year. '

original 4 years, 3 months ago

Normally, I don't respond to Marion's posts, because he's like a baby Fred Phelps--thriving on the attention he gets from making really incredibly ignorant remarks. But I hafta say it just this once: Marion would rather sit on his butt, hiding behind the safety of his computer, making hundreds of comments about other people who are actually out LIVING and DOING something decent. There's really not a need to respond to his posts, because he will never "get it." But people see right through you, Marion.

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

“a couple of others?”

Well, only three. Them, They, and Those.

toddtrip 4 years, 3 months ago

KENYA on climate change:

Kenya has been playing a prominent role in the climate change debate. The first significant declaration on climate change in Africa was made in Kenya in 1990 during the Nairobi Conference of Global Warming and Climate Change. It became known as the Nairobi Declaration on Climate Change: "Global climate change is fundamentally different from the conventional environmental agenda where the practice has been to react and correct. The challenge now is to anticipate and prevent." The conference played an important role in introducing African countries to the international debate on climate change. Subsequent international meetings in Kenya included the Conference on Policy Options and Responses to Climate Change in Nairobi in 1994.

The role of Kenya in the climate change debate has been boosted by the activities of Climate Network Africa (CNA) and the African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS), both organizations based in Kenya, and by the support of the Swedish Environmental Institute (SEI). These organizations have played a leading role in Africa in creating public awareness on climate change issues and in building an African position on the climate convention.

Kenya has been well represented in most climate change debates at scientific, intergovernmental and non-governmental fora. As a result of these efforts, there have been several publications in the country, including those by CNA (Impact Quarterly), ACTS/SEI, the Kenya Academy of Sciences, and individuals. Despite all these efforts, there is still a lack of research and of general awareness about climate change issues, about the existence of the UNFCCC, and about the opportunities it provides for mitigation and adaptation to climate change.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 3 months ago

In Kenya homosexuality is against the law. When they say something is "gay" they mean it's completely illegal.

So a guy would ask if he can park his car on a certain spot, the answer could be "No, that space is totally gay".

They might want to find out if they can own a gun there, or it it's too gay.

BigPrune 4 years, 3 months ago

There is a HUGE difference between the poor in this country and the poor in a third world country.

Here - Homeless Katrina victims living in a trailer

Kenya - Homeless living in a lean to with no electricity, no running water, no front door, no windows and a dirt floor. And if the government officials don't get enough bribe money, they bring in the bulldozers and destroy then make someone file a permit for a new shack that can take months and bribe money to get it going again. The American relief food is hijacked by local officials and sold on the black market. Nothing here compares to the poverty in Kenya. The average income in Kenya is in the hundreds of dollars.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… I just don't know, except that such things appear only in the minds of Boston_Corbett...and a couple of others..."

"a couple of others?"

Bill Lee 4 years, 3 months ago

Those of you complaining about the Korbs going to Kenya instead of helping people in this country must assume that when they return in three and a half years, they're going to sit on their butts, which is what I'm guessing that you do now instead of helping the poor around Lawrence and Tonganoxie. I'll bet the Korbs will help others when they return because thats the kind of people they appear to be.

toddtrip 4 years, 3 months ago

KANSAS wasn't conservative enough?

Sections 162 to 165 of the Kenyan Penal Code criminalize homosexual behaviour and attempted homosexual behaviour between men, which is referred to as "carnal knowledge against the order of nature". The penalty is 5 to 14 years' imprisonment. The age of consent is 16. Lesbian relations are not prohibited in the law.[2] Homosexuality remains criminalized in Kenya, and even though there are few prosecutions in the country on the sections of the penal code (162 - 165), that criminalize it; LGBTI people are routinely harassed by the police, held in remand houses for long without charges being preferred against them, and presented in court, on trumped-up charges.[citation needed] Closely related to this, is a cartel of corrupt police officials who routinely extort and blackmail LGBTI people with the threat of arrest and imprisonment if they do not give them bribes.[citation needed] According to the 2007 Pew Global Attitudes Project, a strong 96% of Kenya residents said that homosexuality should be rejected by society, making it one of the highest rejection of homosexuality in the 44 countries surveyed

milehighhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion is the type of person who doesn't hesitate to denigrate the selfless actions of others while doing NOTHING themselves.

Go to hell.

The problems Kenyans face are life and death, and even the "poor" in the US would be considered well-off in most other nations. Get a clue.

barrypenders 4 years, 3 months ago

tomatogrower (Anonymous) says…

"barry, are you suggesting family planning? Didn't Bush try to end all that, because it includes abortion? I thought you were against abortion? Or is that just for white Americans? Africans should abort. The “know all” of those who want to make decisions about a woman's reproductive life, but complain if the government wants to tell their corporations not to pollute is disgusting. Don't you know how you sound? It's spelled h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e. Anti-abortion nuts could care less about any children. They just want to control women."

You are a cute poster tomatogrower. D&C's are a great method of birth control for natural, indiscriminate carnal knowledge among those that can't live with out it.

Thanks for your input.

Stimulus, Indiscriminate Carnal Knowledge, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless you

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

"To get so agitated over an article like this makes it seem as if there are some serious issues in your world."

Sing it with me! Projection, projection, my snark is projection I'm so empty inside, and that's why I deride Anyone who's not my reflection!

GmaD321 4 years, 3 months ago

These people don't sound like the kind who are doing it to be "kewl", sulla. Who exactly is the 'Pretty Crowd'? To get so agitated over an article like this makes it seem as if there are some serious issues in your world.

tomatogrower 4 years, 3 months ago

What do you and Marion do to help the children of America, Sulla?

Sulla 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, why don't they go "someplace warm" like New Orleans and help poor American kids? That's what Marion is saying.

But that wouldn't be enough of an exotic "feel-good" story;missionizing to the Third World is "Kewl!", helping American citizens is "Oh..soooo Flanderish!", or something like that with the Pretty Crowd.

acg 4 years, 3 months ago

What a wonderful, selfless thing they're doing. I hope they don't read this blog, or at least pay any heed to comments from Marion and barry and the rest of the merry band of morons that troll thru here every day polluting the earth with their drivel. Good for you, Korbs, you rock!!

tomatogrower 4 years, 3 months ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says… I wonder why they are having “needy, poor children” in Kenya? Why would anyone have children that you can't take care of? Good luck to the teachers for taking on a challenge. But like previous comments, there are just as many children born in this country that cannot be taken care of.

barry, are you suggesting family planning? Didn't Bush try to end all that, because it includes abortion? I thought you were against abortion? Or is that just for white Americans? Africans should abort. The "know all" of those who want to make decisions about a woman's reproductive life, but complain if the government wants to tell their corporations not to pollute is disgusting. Don't you know how you sound? It's spelled h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e. Anti-abortion nuts could care less about any children. They just want to control women.

GmaD321 4 years, 3 months ago

Why must anyone take something generous and kind that these folks are doing and try to demean it? Instead of giving $ to any of the helping agencies who take 95% of it for "administrative costs", these people are willing to give of themselves. What in the world can be wrong with that? Can't there just be a 'feel good' story once in awhile that doesn't get trashed? They have even raised their kids right if they are doing the same types of volunteer work.

Sulla 4 years, 3 months ago

but .... Maryknoll is a Marxist/liberation theology outfit of the Church of Rome, not fundamentalist. They will teach little Kenyan kids to be good comrades; i.e. start holy wars and class wars all in one shot.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

First, where the "racism" and "anti-semitism" is to be found in my previous comments, I just don't know, except that such things appear only in the minds of Boston_Corbett, ivalueamerica (Whose beliefs obviously do not live up to the username!) and a couple of others who manage to translate their rather odd thoughts via the keyboard.

I simply place The United States first on my "Help" list.

We still have homeless families living in trailers following Hurricane Katrina.

No one has addressed any of the nine questions which I earlier posed and no one will, I suspect.

I simply suggest that we need to take care of ourselves and our own before sending funds, labour and resources offshore.

This nation has become subject to the largest national debt in the history of the world, we are experiencing the near total destruction of cities like Detroit; now an urban desert, we are fighting not one but two unconstitutional wars; both of which are draining like vampires on a jugular and those things are just a start.

In shourt, this nation is in a real mess, headed toward financial ruin and on the verge of possible collapse.

I respect the absolute right of this couple to make their own decisions; their money, their life, their chosen work.

I am not required to respect their acts, howver and I do not.

I believ that any funds from the private sector sent offshore in the form of "aid" should be subject to a 500% excise tax; which tax would be place into a fund to help needy Americans.

You want to send a dollar to Kenya?

OK, fine but to do that you must first send "FIVE" dollars to the "Help America" fund.

When and only when we have our own problems fixed should we set out to fix the world.

rbwaa 4 years, 3 months ago

I just wonder how many items 1-9 that marion personally addresses, especially 1-6. Self-righteous indignation is not helpful.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey Marion,

How about you do what the Korbs are, sell your house and most of your possessions. Cash in your retirement (and your keyboard) and commit the next three and a half years of your life to helping all of these needy American children you speak of. You probably won't have to go halfway across the country, I'm sure there is a void right there in Tonganoxie that the Korbs are leaving. Perhaps in all your piety you could slip right in and fill it. Or... you could continue to live of your Momma and post ridiculous rantings about people you don't know and continue in your delusions that you are all wise and benevolent. Usually I enjoy reading your posts but you need to realize that what little (if any) credibility you have goes right out the window with comments like these. Save the blowhard antics for a story really worth debating.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Boo! Poor Marion. Did I scare you again?

I bring up your racist posts, and that makes you a victim.....how?

barrypenders 4 years, 3 months ago

I wonder why they are having "needy, poor children" in Kenya? Why would anyone have children that you can't take care of? Good luck to the teachers for taking on a challenge. But like previous comments, there are just as many children born in this country that cannot be taken care of.

Stimulus, Indisriminate Breeding, and Posercare live unprecedented.

Darwin bless you all

frankfussman 4 years, 3 months ago

This is for Marion:

I have lived and worked in Africa for 8 years. If you were to visit Africa for a while you would know what I know: needy, poor children and adults in America are rich compared to the same people in Africa...and in many other parts of the world.

We have so much more here than you find anywhere else. That's why many foreigners want to come to America.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

I see my stalker Boston_Corbett is back.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says…" ...Are there American children who need help with housing?"

I know of at least one 50-something who still sponges housing off his mama. Maybe this is about him getting to the front of the line.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Isn't that Marion "I have some interest in preservation of what might be called the 'White culture'" Lynn?

The one whose yet-once-again racist blog was pulled down by the LJW mods just this week?

The one who worships at the feet of Holocaust deniers?

Tongie_soccer 4 years, 3 months ago

It would be easy to disparage marion for his narrow minded thought process but instead I will focus on the positive. The Korbs are amazing people who taught one of my children and both siblings (we moved to Tonganoxie after I was past the grade level they taught at). They are kind, hardworking, wonderful people who spent decades in service to American children. I am happy for them that they have this opportunity for a new adventure while still helping children grow. In today's global society every child helped (no matter where they live Marion) benefits us. I am not a religious person but may their God bless them and keep them safe.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 3 months ago

marion is racist and anti-semetic, he should be ignored as a lost cause.

America busy enough starbucks every day that if we used that money instead, we could eliminate hunger world-wide, so I read.

We help where we can, when we can and how we want.

Marion does not control who we help, where we help or why we help.

He hates it, he wants to control everyone and everything. For someone who is anti-religion, he acts just like the Catholic church.

His heart is so dark and weak, I pity him deeply.

tomatogrower 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion, I thought that all poor people deserve to be that way, because they are lazy and want to mooch off others.

Marion writes the following:

(1) Are there hungry American Children who need food?

(2) Are there American Children who could use help with education?

(3) Are there American children who need help with housing?

(4) Are there American children awaiting adoption?

(5) Are there American children who might need spiriitual support if you are of such mind?

(6) Why are these people not ministering in children's cancer wards, right here in the Midwest?

(7) Why do these people hate America and American children so much that they must take their works to Africa?

(8) Is it that "There are enough agencies to take care of Americans already!"?

(9) Or is it "Liberal Guilt" incarnate?

I would remind a few of the Gentle Readers that these people are fundalmentalist Christian Missionaries and some of you spend lots of time picking on Christians while at the same time coming to their defence because I believe that we should take care of our own first.

lastcall4oh 4 years, 3 months ago

Marion is but a smelly swoosh...

Actually not a swoosh, but it rhymes with that.

You know next to nothing, and obviously what you do know does not include anything about the Korbs. Get in your Mercedes and see how fast you can get it going headed South. Maybe you won't make it back.

TongieMom 4 years, 3 months ago

It's clear you don't even know the Korbs as they are WONDERFUL people who care about the education of young people regardless of their background. Those 'needy' Americans that you mention have open access to an education regardless of their race, religion, sex, ability to pay, etc. They have spent years making a positive difference in the lives of others, not only in their 30+ years in education, but in their personal lives.

John & Cindy are setting an amazing example of what a difference we can each make in the world...from our own community to another half way around world. They have faith in God, compassion toward others and a strong desire to continue to share the gift of education with those who aren't offered what some tend to take for granted.

"Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world" - Nelson Mandela

MarianKay 4 years, 3 months ago

My children had both John and Cindy as teachers when we lived in Tongie. These are wonderful teachers and wonderful, kind people. I wish them well.

davidmm 4 years, 3 months ago

They spent many years teaching and helping Americans. Besides, helping people is helping people, regardless.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

Too bad these people do not care enough about needy Americans to help them out.