Archive for Monday, December 28, 2009

City to begin issuing tickets on Tuesday for unshoveled sidewalks

Lawrence resident Carol Hurst gets to work shoveling the walkway to her house Monday on Tennessee Street. Hurst, like many other Lawrencians, spent the day clearing, digging and tossing away the snow.

December 28, 2009, 2:44 p.m. Updated December 28, 2009, 3:58 p.m.

Unshoveled sidewalks to cause fine

The city will begin ticketing people who do not have their sidewalks cleared starting Tuesday morning. The fine will total about $72 and court costs. Enlarge video

Wintery photos

Have a good shot of a winter wonderland? Send it to us and we'll assemble a gallery of your photos.

The first tickets issued under the city’s stricter sidewalk snow shoveling ordinance may come as early as Tuesday morning.

That’s when city inspectors will begin responding to complaints of unshoveled sidewalks, said Brian Jimenez, the city’s director of codes.

The city’s stricter ordinance requires sidewalks to be cleared within 48 hours after snow stops falling in the area. The new ordinance also eliminates the city’s practice of issuing a warning before ticketing a property owner. Instead, Jimenez said the new practice will be that property owners will receive a Municipal Court ticket in the mail.

The ticket carries a $20 fine, but violators also will be responsible for paying the $52 in court costs associated with the ticket. In other words a snowy sidewalk, may cost a property owner $72.

But Jimenez said his inspectors don’t have hearts as cold as the weather. He said some leeway will be given to property owners, given the extraordinary amount of snow that fell in the city.

“We’re discussing how much leeway right now,” Jimenez said Monday afternoon. “If somebody has made the attempt to shovel their sidewalk, I think in most instances we’ll consider that as compliance. I think most of our concern will be when the sidewalks haven’t been touched at all.”

Jimenez also said property owners on Tuesday shouldn’t worry about being ticketed for a sidewalk that was recently covered by snow thrown from a city plow. He said it is easy for inspectors to recognize when a snowplow has covered a sidewalk.

City inspectors won’t be traveling throughout the city to look for violations of the snow shoveling ordinance, but instead will be responding to complaints. If inspectors, though, see obvious violations at other properties while responding to complaints, they can issue tickets, Jimenez said.

People wanting to make a complaint can call the city at 832-7700 or can file a complaint online at the city’s Web site.

By Monday afternoon, the city had received about 15 complaints.

The city passed the stricter snow shoveling ordinance in December 2008, but this will be the first major snowfall that it has been enforced.

Comments

4everahawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Who is responsible for all the 'public' sidewalks along major streets, like Kasold, Monterrey and others?

desertrose 4 years, 8 months ago

I know the city is busy with the streets, but they should get their own sidewalks clear before they start giving out tickets to home owners. I can't even get to my mailbox down the street. Also who do you get ahold of to see why the light is set so long on Folks Rd. That is a busy street and is way to long.

OhHai 4 years, 8 months ago

So, who do I ticket for taking over 48hrs to plow the streets?

OonlyBonly 4 years, 8 months ago

1) they aren't "public" sidewalks. They are the responsibility of the property owner that fronts or backs them. Property extends to the center of the street (usually) with easements for street, utility, etc. restricting use. 2) see number 1 3) no ordinance covering unplowed streets. You can, of course, contact the city about why the street isn't plowed 4) are you referring to a city building where the walk isn't cleared? If so where?

monkey_c 4 years, 8 months ago

This is sooooo stupid. If I lived in city limits, I'd shovel all the snow off my yard and deposit it on the sidewalk. Then I'd put my ticket in the snow pile and pile on some more just for fun.

monkey_c 4 years, 8 months ago

Ever hear the term sidewalk easement? If you have a sidewalk out in front of your house it is on a sidewalk easement. The city can tear it up and do with it as they see fit because it's the city's sidewalk. You didn't put it there did you? Nope and niether did anyone who owned your house before you. Bull Pooey.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 8 months ago

Dear City of Lawrence: Could you please ticket Gage Management? While Peppertree's crew was out there clearing sidewalks as soon as the storm ceased, Gage has done nothing to clear the sidewalks of Heatherwood Valley Apts. Slumlord schmucks!!

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 8 months ago

forget sidewalks I can't get my trash can to the curb.

KU_cynic 4 years, 8 months ago

Who cares about homeowners in mostly residential neighborhoods . . .

But, businesses are a different story, especially marquis locations like downtown Lawrence. Those businesses should be ticketed today if the sidewalks aren't clean -- and I mean really clean.

GardenMomma 4 years, 8 months ago

desertrose 4 years, 8 months ago

So who owns the vacant lot's at the corner of 6th & Folks?

vinividivici 4 years, 8 months ago

GardenMomma (Anonymous) says… Well, I want to know what happens when I shovel the snow off my sidewalk and the city plow comes along and plows the snow from the street right back on it. My tree lawn is about 18 inches wide, and then the side walk.

.....read the article. It addresses this issue.

jhawk0097 4 years, 8 months ago

Take_a_letter_Maria 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree 0097. Mine's been done since Saturday afternoon (I may need to touch up for drifting again though.)

I am curious about when the city will get to the sidewalks around the city parks - thinking Dad Perry in particular since I live out that way and like to walk/jog along the park. Of course since they didn't even plow my street until yesterday afternoon I won't hold my breath waiting.

Richard Payton 4 years, 8 months ago

Just wondering if some elderly person shovels his sidewalk to abide by the city code suffers heart attack can that person sue the City. Other example person slips on sidewalk to clear sidewalk to meet City demand can that person sue the City? Just wondering?

hail2oldku 4 years, 8 months ago

jhawk0097 must have upset the Cheeto gods. Telling people to get off the couch and quit whining shouldn't be considered a violation.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 8 months ago

THE CITY IS MAKING US DO THEIR JOBS. THE CITY NEEDS TO ADD AN ORDINANCE THAT AFTER A COMPLAINT ABOUT A BROKEN SIDEWALK IS RECIEVED THAT THEY HAVE 48 HOURS TO FIX IT.SO FOR YOU SMOKERS WHEN THE WEATHER IS NICE LETS ALL HANG OUT IN FRONT OF LMH ON THE SIDEWALK AND SMOKE.NOTHING THEY CAN DO BECAUSE I CAN'T STOP THEM FROM PACING MY SIDEWALK.OK JUST SHOVEL A PATH FOR SOMEONE TO WALK IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE WHOLE SIDEWALK.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

My next door neighbors had their walk and driveways looking nice yesterday. A while back they painted the front porch and steps so it looks really nice. South Park had all the walks plowed yesterday. However from the end of the neighbors property down to St. Johns no one else has shoveled their sidewalks. Lucky for me the park extends from across the street down to the church. When I lived in a house on Rhode Island Street I always got out and shoveled the walk, front and back, and now I wonder how I did it.

Nikki May 4 years, 8 months ago

The sidewalks around parks are a huge sticking point for me. Chapparal at 27th and Ponderosa doesn't get shoveled usually. So far this year is proving the same.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 8 months ago

All this opposition to the city daring to tell people they have to have cleared sidewalks...

How about taking personal & civic responsibility for your living area? Do you really want someone to fall and break their neck because you can't be bothered to spend 10 minutes with a shovel?

Here's more motivation... When a place has a sidewalk that is covered with ice and snow, it looks really trashy. It's almost like a having lawn that looks like it has never been mowed, only the uncleared sidewalk is actually dangerous.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

City best get those Bobcats out and begin clearing walks around their areas and the hiking trails.

Another suggestion is once a residential street has been driven on why not treat these streets with a double dose of sand and salt ONLY..... no plowing.

NO PLOWING would prevent residents cars from being buried? I had to clear out my drive AGAIN after the plow. Then I had to dig out my truck. Yes our street had been driven on plenty before the plowing so navigation was NOT necessarily a problem. Between sand,salt and sun the street would have been fine eventually.

Sometimes snow plow trucks driving over snow can make streets easy enough to navigate although slowly.

Intersections on the other hand is another story. Got to be able to stop.

Just saying it may be time to review how things get done.

Generally speaking ..... a good job overall.

I say it is time to bring back some laid off workers in order to take care of business. After all the needs for city services are greater now than 20 years ago.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 8 months ago

"Just wondering if some elderly person shovels his sidewalk to abide by the city code suffers heart attack can that person sue the City. Other example person slips on sidewalk to clear sidewalk to meet City demand can that person sue the City?" - rtpayton

Maybe it's time to move to an assisted living situation or an apartment, if you can't fulfill your responsibilities. No shame in that.

You have to mow your lawn and pay your property taxes too, that goes with being a property owner.

overthemoon 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, I'm sure our busybody neighbor is one of those complaining. He/she keeps the city busy all year round with their complaints. Considering our narrow sidewalk is under three feet of snow plow piles, I guess we won't worry about it. We did carve a path for the mailman to the box, but I don't see many other walkers or runners out this week.

melott 4 years, 8 months ago

Can I ticket the city for blocking my driveway with snow and ice?

parrothead8 4 years, 8 months ago

I live on a corner, so I have more sidewalk to shovel than many. I spent about 30 minutes clearing my sidewalk today. No big deal, my neighbors and I can walk our dogs on it now, plus I got some good exercise. It's not like we have to clear 8-10 inches every week, all winter.

I can't believe people are whining about having to shovel their sidewalks. I'm just glad to live in a community that even HAS sidewalks. I moved here this summer, and it's the first time in 30 years I've lived somewhere that has sidewalks.

GardenMomma 4 years, 8 months ago

Must have missed that paragraph. Glad to know that it won't be a problem.

justforfun 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey!!!! Calling all you high school and college kids!! 32 hours have passed. Now walk down the street where sidewalks have not been shoveled, and go up to these houses and offer to showel the walk for 40 bucks.(don't forget to remind them of the ordinence) When they refuse calmly pull out your cell phone and call the city (832-7700) and report them. Before they know it they will have an $72 ticket from the city. Then that $40 you offered to do it for would look like a deal. LMAO

honestone 4 years, 8 months ago

Not whining because I started shoveling Xmas. Shoveled again on the 26th. Beautiful sidewalk...it sucks that the city then plowed the street back on to my walk and blocked the drive and the street with 2-3 feet of ice and snow. Not whining just amazed at the people that don't see the irony.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 8 months ago

I started xmas eve too and shoveled again including after the trucks blocked the driveway. Still have a little to go but oh well.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 8 months ago

Marion (Marion Lynn) says… "Proof positive that the City of Lawrence, Kansas is dead broke."

Finally!! a topic about which Marion actually has true personal experience and expertise!!!!

Tell us, Marion, what are the filing fees for the city to file its petition? Does this mean the city won't pay its legal debts?

How did it work for you?

livetocook 4 years, 8 months ago

Tell me, what do you (the people of this thread) think "attempt" means?

I believe "attempt" is vague when left with eight plus inches of snow.

LadyJ 4 years, 8 months ago

Not commenting to debate shoveling vs not shoveling, but to relate something that made me laugh and shake my head. Was watching out the living room window tonight. Shoveled sidewalks all along the block, and in less than an hour saw 7 pedestrians, 6 of them walking in the street. Gave me quite a chuckle.

Graczyk 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm out of town and won't return for another week. Will they ticket me? If so, is there an appeal process?

ksarmychick 4 years, 8 months ago

I am out of town. I will not be happy if I come back into town and I have a ticket. Will the city accept a copy of my plane tickets as payment?

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 8 months ago

Mario, You really can't play the martyr-victim role very well at all.

So someone who posts a question to you is a "stalker?"

Christine Anderson 4 years, 8 months ago

Hmmmm, wonder if I borrow a shovel from a neighbor across the street( at property not owned by Gage) and shovel the sidewalks of Heatherwood, can I deduct the cost of the would-be tickets from my rent? Also, is it to be one ticket per property owner, per property, or one ticket for every unshoveled sidewalk on said property? If an apartment complex has more than one bldg, can the owner get ticketed for each bldg.? Dialing finger getting very, very eager.

brujablanco 4 years, 8 months ago

Interesting that false vicitimization is a key factor in identifying a cyberstalker. Gosh, Marion, that fits you so perfectly!!! You really shouldn't threaten folks with firearms, you know, it is unlawful.

budwhysir 4 years, 8 months ago

Do they need my address? Considering the fact that I am disabled, and have already spent more than the fine amount on snow removal, I feel that being that I could walk on my sidewalk long before I could drive on my street, I look forward to fighting a ticket such as this. With the economy and all the cut backs, I can assure you the city has alot more they could be concerned with. For instance, does anyone know how much revenue was lost due to the bus system being unable to run? According to the city web site, we had crews working 12 hour shifts to plow the streets. Not once did I encounter a plow truck with its blade down. On top of that, the only plow trucks I passed where driving on streets already plowed. I have family that was snowed in for 3 days due to the citys quick response and plowing methods. Paying taxes does not give one the right to complain. Being right gives one the right to brag

Matthew Herbert 4 years, 8 months ago

didn't they just pass a tax for all home owners, regardless of whether you have a sidewalk or not, and in exchange have taken over responsibility of the sidewalks? Why can we still be ticketed if the responsibility is now the city's?

hootman31 4 years, 8 months ago

Where in the city ordinance does it give exemptions that are mentioned in the article? It look like the 'enforcers' are making up and enforcing their own laws?

It would seem illegal (and unenforceable) to selectively enforce the law (and only apply it to say the elderly and disabled), but allow businesses (along Iowa Street as an example; or the sidewalk by the 'Welcome to Lawrence' sign in front of Walmart on Iowa), to be exempt from the law as it is written?

Seems like the city would be better served by ticketing and towing the vehicles parked in the middle of the streets; as opposed to screening and following up on my goal of 100 complaints.

Or better yet, how about actually cleaning the streets (like 6th and Kasold), that suddenly go to 1 lane without warning.

I am sure the city commissioners can recommend one of their friends, that just happen to be in the snow removal business, if you would like to avoid the 'good 'ol boy' tax.

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

I'll be carrying my phone with me on my run tomorrow... for once something will be done about the lazy people who don't maintain their sidewalks... yay!

SWJayhawk13 4 years, 8 months ago

Budwhysir -- agreed!

Considering the fact that the city never plowed my neighborhood, why should I go out of my way to shovel my sidewalk? Even after calling them, three days after the storm they still hadn't plowed the road. The guy plowing for Brandon Woods finally plowed it since the city was taking their sweet-a** time doing it. What a joke.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 8 months ago

tonight. Shoveled sidewalks all along the block, and in less than an hour saw 7 pedestrians, 6 of them walking in the street. Gave me quite a chuckle.

---Cheesehead, "cleared sidewalks" are very often dangerous ice fields! safer with snow left on, harder to walk, harder to slip!

so, I'm scratching my head ... exemptions flexible, maybe if "attempt" and they'll recognize when a plow has put snow up onto a sidewalk--not ticket there.

just what is the purpose of this "tough" ticket policy about snow removal? doesn't sound like it'll achieve any obvious goal like providing good walking surfaces to actual pedestrians...oh, what that the goal?

and remember they gotta ticket: Lawrence bought scam carbon credits, money that could've been used for snow removal.

persevering_gal 4 years, 8 months ago

If anyone needs some help shoveling, message me. I'm a broke college student! :)

desertrose 4 years, 8 months ago

I cleaned my sidewalk too. I just don't like the 48 hour rule that applies to people after so much snow. How about starting with Meadowbrook apts on 15th. Surely they have kept enough deposits to afford sidewalk removal. I also saw a lady walking out ON 6th street with heavy traffic east of 6th and Sierra because there was no clean sidewalk. Very dangerous there. The main heavy traffic areas need to get done.

gilly 4 years, 8 months ago

Shoveling sidewalks gives them a chance to be walkable at some point, which is safer than leaving them unshoveled and subjected to stomping, uneven thawing and refreezing.

But shoveled sidewalks do turn into ice for a bit, and those pedestrians were walking in the street because that is where they could find traction.

Lindsey Buscher 4 years, 8 months ago

BREAKING NEWS:

Citizens to begin issuing dumps on steps of City Hall for un-shoveled streets and public sidewalks.

kansasfire911 4 years, 8 months ago

I will save the broken back and possible heart attack and send in my 72 bucks. Of course if I get injured can the city take care of the doctors bill?

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 8 months ago

This ordinance has very little to do with homeowners. It is just another attempt by the city to get landlords who own and proffit off rental properties to own up and take care of them. Most don't and I think we are close to 40% rental in this town. That's a big problem. If you rent and you don't pay extra for snow removal or have it written in your lease, put down the video game controller get off your butt, and shovel your walk.

budwhysir 4 years, 8 months ago

I may be missing something but how does this law effect only lazy landlords. Does renting make all of your responsibilities the duties of the landlord??? Dont think so, if you rent an apartment better go get ya a shovel. I figure if you live in a complex with 100 units and you have 100 stairs and 100ft of sidewalk, its time for you to clear one stair and 0ne running ft of sidewalk. I think I will have to knock on my neighbors door today, she is 90 years old and blind and deaf. I dont think she is aware that she is not in compliance with this law. I wouldnt want her to get a ticket. If I was not disabled I would help her out but no can do, Im lucky to be a free man myself.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 8 months ago

I think the city fines the property owner if snow is not removed. So I guess if the house is a rental the landlord would be fined rather than the renter.

BMI 4 years, 8 months ago

Stores. Clear your handicapped accessible ramps, and the parking lot spaces leading up to them, and I mean flat. The people with bad knees, balance issues,etc can't step up curbs and over the snow piles to get into your stores. Not to mention this is just nice for everyone.

It won't be good enough for you to just shovel your walk, but leave them with no path to get onto that sidewalk! Your insurance company would want you to do that. ;)

SuperSnot 4 years, 8 months ago

My street is still "unshoveled" !!!!

leedavid 4 years, 8 months ago

If your street is still unshoveled, and you own your home, conduct a family meeting. See if the family is willing to vote in favor of a fine against the city for failure to shovel snow in front of your home. If this motion passes, and becomes family law, write a ticket agains the city. The amount should be reasonable considering family hardship, mental pain, suffering and the like. Oh wait, that method can only be used against us, not for us....nevermind.

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

Glad I dont have a sidewalk in front of my house; lol.......but do have a pile of snow; that the snowremoval folks shoved in front of my driveway.............whats up with that ??

DoUntoOthers 4 years, 8 months ago

Once again Mustard Seed Church lives out the admonition of take care of yourself and no one else as they totally cleaned their parking lot but neighbors can't use the sidewalks that they have not cleaned. They are obviously reading different red words than are written.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 8 months ago

The city could care less. I started shoveling on 12-24-09. I did the entire driveway and a path since I have no sidewalk. As the snow continued to fall I continued to shovel. While people sat at their computers complaining about the plows not coming I shoveled snow. On 12-26-09 the plow came through; pushing a 4 foot pile of ice and snow that was at least 6 feet wide to the end of my driveway, I went back out to remove the pile of large ice and snow chunks. Yesterday the plow came through again and left another pile of ice and snow at least two foot high and 4 feet wide. Only two others on my block have even attempted to shovel their driveways and nobody has shoveled a path for those who walk down the street. My neighbor works for the city and hasn't shoveled. In order to enter my driveway last night I had to shovel the end of the driveway including street area just to get in. Iworked on it as long as I could this morning and there is still a mound of large ice chunks partially blocking the exit of my driveway. I will not pay a ticket for this mess.

bd 4 years, 8 months ago

Topeka has the same ordinance,,,,, they announced that it would not be enforced because of the large amount of snow!!!!

ILoveLawrence 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm with SuperSnot. If the city has yet to plow or even drive on my street (they actually decided to push excess snow from the cross street so it would block my street), I'm not shoveling.

desertrose 4 years, 8 months ago

People having to walk IN the street south of 15th & monterey by Alvamar. Need some shoveling there.

just_me 4 years, 8 months ago

This does seem a little ironic that they plan to ticket people when their own sidewalks are not clear. I went for a run yesterday and it was not easy finding a route, with no sidewalks available.What about the university? Can they be ticketed as well? All that area up Iowa by Shank Field is treacherous!

David Albertson 4 years, 8 months ago

One more reason to move out of Lawrence.

Shane Rogers 4 years, 8 months ago

While I don't have a sidewalk in front of my rental, we were out there Saturday for all but about three hours shoveling the driveway and path (plus all the deposited icepack from the street plow). It was a good time, especially considering that our drive is on a nice embankment.

If I did have a sidewalk, seeing as how it sounds like I would own said sidewalk, I'd dig it up and plant a garden. ;-)

A20271 4 years, 8 months ago

So, surely the ticket would go to the landlord, correct? Mine didn't come by to shovel so I borrowed a shovel and cleared off a pathway from the street to my house, but not the sidewalk. If I knew about this ordinance, I'd probably call the number. He IS supposed to take care of the outside work but never does! Frustrating since I'm not a college student and I do care about my yard. I end up cleaning it.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 8 months ago

budwhysir - excellent points. I think we agree, but I think you worded it better. The reason I pointed out the rental difference is that on my block, the only houses that aren't scooped are all rentals. To be fair, there are a few that have, but most remain under 8 inches of snow. Your point is right on, just because you rent, do not assume your landlord or management company is going to do everything for you. Unless it is specifically written in your lease that snow removal is provided, go get a shovel. Personally i think that if a landlord is issued a ticket and the lease does not stipulate that clearing snow is their responsibility, the renter should be responsible for paying the ticket. Kind of like a noise or parking violation. The tenant should be responsible. And please stop whining about the plows closing in your driveways. All our parking is off the alley and I walked down to the end, dug out the 3' of snow the plow pushed across the alley drive, and pulled my car in the back so the plows could keep the streets open. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of time and energy people waste complaining about something that would take less time and energy to go fix themselves.

monkeyhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

"I did the entire driveway and a path since I have no sidewalk. I will not pay a ticket for this mess."

Can you get a ticket for not shoveling a path? Just curious...

Laura Wilson 4 years, 8 months ago

If you're a tenant and your landlord hasn't cleared the sidewalk check your lease. Many landlords who own houses or duplexes (I'm not talking big complexes here) have clauses in their leases that snow removal is the tenant's responsibility.

As for the shoveling, my 70 year old mother is going to my house today to "attempt" it. I've already wrecked most of the muscles in my body shoveling enough of my driveway (and the huge pile of ice they plowed into the end of it) so I could get my car out. When I get home I'll see what else I can do, but I'm not going to kill myself. If I get fined, I get fined. I'd rather pay the $72 then make myself sick or injure myself.

Where are all the school kids?! Back in my day we went out and earned money shoveling in the neighborhood! I 'd gladly pay some kids to do it for me.

And I don't know if this is true or not, but several years ago a local attorney told me that if you don't shovel your sidewalk and someone falls it's an act of god; if you do and someone slips on the ice, you're liable.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

Mario, how are the sidewalks in Wyandotte Co?

starlite144 4 years, 8 months ago

what's the town's policy on ticketing people who stay parked on the side of a residential street (especially when there's a perfectly good driveway and 2 car garage)? is there any kind of parking ban through the winter? plows can't do their job properly and it only leads to bringing roads down to 1 somewhat cleared lane. and what about the roundabouts on Harvard? clearing that might make driving a little safer.

headdoctor 4 years, 8 months ago

OonlyBonly (Anonymous) says… 1) they aren't “public” sidewalks. They are the responsibility of the property owner that fronts or backs them. Property extends to the center of the street (usually) with easements for street, utility, etc. restricting use.

There are always exceptions to property especially where development was done before being brought into the City or where the development was allowed to plot land clear to the curb. There are things that effect property that are clear to the center of the street but you don't own it. Check your property lines. There are a lot of people out there that assume they own more land than they really do. The only sidewalk truly owned by the property owner are the ones leading to your doors. Most sidewalks are on City property and easement for various purposes can go even closer to your house. The bottom line is you do not own the sidewalk but as in most Cities you are required to scoop, maintain, or replace it. In New developments you may have paid for the sidewalk through Special Taxes but you still do not own the side walks. The only way you can do what ever you want is if the sidewalk is in fact on your property and no easements are extending past its location.

ModSquadGal 4 years, 8 months ago

This is just so typical! Why doesn't the city worry a little more about its OWN responsibilities and leave the stupid piddly stuff alone? The plowing done was ridiculously haphazard. Even the major thoroughfares were not plowed completely and the lanes ranged from two wide down to one with no warning. I saw a police car and an ambulance out there stuck. If the emergency vehicles can't even get around, that's a problem. Call Denver or Fargo and find out how they do it and DO IT HERE.

fouroclock 4 years, 8 months ago

The arrogance of the city is on full display. I worry about the elderly, who by far are the most conscientious law abiding citizens we have, having heart attacks. And as for the mail, it is up to the carriers to get the mail to the people -- rain, sleet or snow.

Ernest Barteldes 4 years, 8 months ago

48 hours??? Here in NYC its like a few hours after the snow has stopped... or else. It doesnt matter if you work 15 hours a day on Wall Street.

2002 4 years, 8 months ago

This isn't going to end well.

mommyoffour 4 years, 8 months ago

Now wouldn't that be calling the pot calling the kettle black! If I ever got a ticket for my sidewalk I would put up a fit with the way these streets looked and are still looking this many days after the storm. Now I understand it takes time but they better give the same consideration to us!

mommyoffour 4 years, 8 months ago

oops! The pot calling the kettle black!

kristyj 4 years, 8 months ago

strategy time! tickets can be issued 48 hrs after snowfall. it's supposed to snow tomorrow, so if you can get through the next 24 hrs without a ticket, you possibly could postpone shoveling until at least Friday evening. or pray for light snowfall every 47 hrs until april?

RonBurgandy 4 years, 8 months ago

At least give people time to shovel after they get home from work. I know the plows at my house piled up the snow on the sidewalks pretty good and I'd like a little extra time to get it taken care of.

Plus if I come home to a ticket while I was at work, I'm going to be pretty PO'd.

Chimes 4 years, 8 months ago

I'd like for the city to be as diligent in writing tickets for folks who violate the fireworks ban on Independence Day as they say they will be about folks who do not shovel snow from sidewalks. When fireworks head for my rooftop, I worry. Not sure why the city makes a much bigger fuss about sidewalks.

headdoctor 4 years, 8 months ago

I have the feeling that the same people who are upset with how the streets were plowed would also be the same people who would be livid if the City went out and bought enough equipment and hired the man power to really take care of storm results of this size, knowing they might only need that equipment and man power once every 5 years or so.

What I find a problem with is the sidewalk ordinance. I hate laws that are enforced by complaint only(nothing like embracing a big brother system). City Ordinances all to often allow for laws being enforced against only who they choose to enforce them against. If they are going to have a law it should be enforced to the letter against all equally or not enforced at all. It would really suck if you have a rabid neighbor that is always calling in reporting people.

chuggy23 4 years, 8 months ago

my street finally got plowed on monday morning. i guess the city didn't want to pay overtime.

paisley 4 years, 8 months ago

Common curteousy (spelling) is DEAD so now there is an ordinance. We shoveled. I expect my neighbors to shovel as well. The plow did cover our driveway after we had shoveled it but we cleared it again also. Hard work, yes BUT it is the right thing to do.

cowboy 4 years, 8 months ago

Public Relations 101 , perhaps some of the city spokesmen should enroll immediately

cammieb 4 years, 8 months ago

Maybe bloggers could spend less time posting complaints about everything published in the paper AND more time helping neighbors shovel their sidewalks and driveways?

cellogrl 4 years, 8 months ago

What irritates me is that many of you above assume that all the people on here complaining are able bodied. I personally am not going to go shovel my sidewalk. I rent. Also though I am still in my late 20s but I have tendonitis in my left shoulder and would be in extreme pain if I tried to shovel the 1 foot on my sidewalk that has also been piled onto by snow plows. It was bad enough that I had to shovel to get my car unstuck. I just think that this ordinance assumes a lot.

classclown 4 years, 8 months ago

For fun i took all the snow the city plowed onto my driveway and piled it on the sidewalk to join all the snow that got plowed on it and then added some more snow on top of that til it came up to about my shoulders.

Then I shoveled a path 18 inches wide on one side of the sidewalk two feet in then turned it toward the other side of the sidewalk then went another two feet and turned back to the other side and continued this the entire length of the sidewalk.

The part I shoveled is nice and clear and the sidewalk is passable. It may slow down the runners that whine about people not shoveling their sidewalks but they can get through. Just not very quickly. Therefore no ticket for me.

Why complain about the ordinance when you can have fun with it?

parrothead8 4 years, 8 months ago

Healthcare_Moocher (Anonymous) says… The additional tax to take care of this should be derived from the sales of runners and bicyclest permits since they are the ones that pushed for this ordinance. Wa, Wa, Wa, their .002% of the population have blessed the rest of us with this attempt to legislate morality.

So only 2 people in every 1000 run or cycle? Nice try.

So anyone who supported having clear sidewalks should now be punished? I guess that means we should start selling parenting permits and elderly permits, and tax those too.

So clearing snow is a "moral" issue, as you seem to indicate? Then why haven't more people done it? It couldn't be that everyone who hasn't cleared their sidewalks are runners or cyclists, because that would only account for about 2 in every 1000 sidewalks.

classclown 4 years, 8 months ago

This one was almost as fun as the snowball gauntlet from last year.

cammieb 4 years, 8 months ago

cellogrl,

Keeping your sidewalks clear is either your responsibility in your lease or your landlord's responsibility. I would bet that it is the same as mowing your lawn. Many other homeowners and renters do not have the ability to mow their lawns, either. Nevertheless, their lawns need to be mowed per city ordinance.

We shoveled 4 of our neighbor's drives and sidewalks. If you were my neighbor, we probably would have shoveled your sidewalks.

Try making friends with some neighborhood kids, call a Boy or Girl Scout Troop, contact a church youth group, or a 4H Club. These are all good free resources. OR renegotiate your lease for your landlord to provide snow removal.

All of these options will take some effort on your part. However, it is your choice to live in a city residence that does require care for the property.

momof2ku 4 years, 8 months ago

Janet Lowther 4 years, 8 months ago

The Lawrence City council is power-mad, thinking new ordinances, rules and regulations are the cure for all ills.

The State needs to repeal Article 12, section 5 of the Kansas Constitution (adopted in 1961) which grants cities virtually unlimited powers, and replace it with a statute which strictly limits the authority of local jurisdictions. It was a noble experiment, but one which has failed.

cammieb 4 years, 8 months ago

Healthcare_Moocher,

Great! Thanks for helping your neighbors! We did, too. We always have fun shoveling and helping.

Maybe others in your neighborhood will also help because you were a good model for them. I think we've inspired a few in our neighborhood to help out. We have one neighbor that we shovel for as soon as ours is done. Someone beat us to it this time.

Keep spreading the good cheer and Happy New Year!

bendover61 4 years, 8 months ago

Manhattan has their streets plowed when will Lawrence? We can't afford to plow the streets but we can afford a train depot?

sportsmom2724 4 years, 8 months ago

Think about all the people who are out of town on vacation this week. Just like the City needed extra time to plow the streets because of the holiday, they should give everyone extra time, so they can get back in town and shovel their sidewalks. Also, the City is responsible for several sidewalks along major streets, including Kasold between Bob Billings and Clinton Parkway. Reminds me of my parents - do as you are told and not as I do.

BrianR 4 years, 8 months ago

momof2ku (Anonymous) says… "The only reason my neighbors want the sidewalks clean is so their dogs can have a place to poop and leave it there!!!"

Wait for it to freeze, consult the site below and send it back to them.

arizonajh 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't live in Lawrence but this fascinates me. Is it the cities sidewalk or the home owners? If it is the cities why don't they have to maintain it? If it is the home owners can the owner then just have it removed? Is the homeowner responsible to make repairs in the summer? If they are, who determines the standards by which it is repaired, what elevation must it sit at to meet the next homeowner's sidewalk what are the superelevation requirements? It sounds like the city wants to maintain control over the sidewalk as if it is public use issue but says that the individual home owner has the legal responsibility to maintain the public property.

been_there 4 years, 8 months ago

"The only way you can do what ever you want is if the sidewalk is in fact on your property and no easements are extending past its location"

Hmm, the city has no easement on my property, so if I put a sidewalk on myself they cannot tell me to shovel it or give me a ticket? Boy it's almost tempting just to stir up trouble and have some fun.

Jodi_B 4 years, 8 months ago

Can anyone recommend someone to clear sidewalks? I figured some of the neighborhood kids would pass through looking for a buck, but they must be busy with their new Christmas toys.

Vonda Mailen 4 years, 8 months ago

On the reality side of the issue: Lawrence does not have enough affordable housing or assisted living units to house all the Senior citizens who may not be able to shovel snow. There are long waiting lists for them to get into existing assisted living units and many senior citizens do fine in their homes during normal circumstances.

It is easier to find someone to mow lawns, paint houses, etc. through the summer months which can be pre-scheduled contracts. Pre-scheduled doesn't work with snow and ice storms. In previous years, kids (Jr. High-High School) were going door to door and offering to remove snow - not this time- in our area, at least.

Since this has become such an issue, couldn't the city management organize and offer a prepaid snow removal program, especially to help those who have disabilities or health conditions that hinder snow removal issues. It could provide an option to the citizens whereby they would have a choice to prepay an "Identified" and "Reliable" Company/Service Group to remove snow.

In this day and age, you can't safely respond to just anyone who knocks on your door and wants money to provide a service. They might never show up when you need them or there could be other safety concerns. It would need to be a service provider who can also respond to the city's time frame for snow removal.

KELVISA 4 years, 8 months ago

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

"Healthcare_Moocher (Anonymous) says…

The additional tax to take care of this should be derived from the sales of runners and bicyclest permits since they are the ones that pushed for this ordinance. Wa, Wa, Wa, their .002% of the population have blessed the rest of us with this attempt to legislate morality. ... Typical lib… ok, 4 in 1,000 it is still the same. People like you and yours asked for this ordinance, now you have to deal with the backlash. Where is the funding for this going to come from? I think it should be from permits required for those who choose to run or bike."

My response: I don't think you understand what a moral issue is. It isn't a moral issue, it is a legal issue. State statute and case law defines that you have a responsibility to maintain the sidewalks that abridge your property. This includes repairing damaged sections, maintenance and keeping it clear (which includes things like leaves, branches, cars, snow, etc.). The city, when it passed the ordinance you referenced above, was determining the exact responsibility of the home owner when it comes to clearing snow but that does not remove the existence of a legal duty via state statute and case law to maintain your sidewalks in general. Fine, don't maintain your sidewalk.. and if I slip and fall, I will be happy to see you in court. I'm surely not going to pay for my injuries because someone was to self-righteous (read: lazy) to do something that has been common courtesy in most of this country for decades and thankfully your negligence provides me and any others who injure themselves on your portion of the sidewalk with a remedy at law.

As to the second issue... there is nothing rationale to say in response to your quite obvious hatred for runners and cyclists so I will simply say that the percentage of people who use sidewalks in this town at any point in the week is much greater than 2 out of a 1000. That is just an asinine viewpoint unsupported by reality. It also is completely irrelevant because you still have a legal duty to maintain your sidewalk.

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

"I think whoever made this rule for clearing sidewalks off should be kicked in the seat of their pants. The city puts in sidewalks, then they tell YOU how to maintain then. Then when the sidewalk cracks and people trip on them, the person that gets hurt wants to blame the homeowner. I am so glad that I live in the country. The only reason it concerns me is because I have a house that is empty that I have to maintain for my late father. I think the city needs to worry more about the condition of their sidewalks and not the snow that covers them."

My response: Repairing damage to sidewalks abridging your property is your responsibility in this state. If someone hurts themselves and they want to come after you they can and they probably will.

notanoobhere 4 years, 8 months ago

Stop whining about having to spend 10 minutes shoveling and get you fat lazy @#$ off the couch. Or pay some local kid to do it for you. This town is full of people who will cry about their streets not being plowed on christmas day but are to lazy to shovel a 30 foot stretch of sidewalk in front of their house when it snow twice a year. Stop complaining and get outside and enjoy the white wonder while it still falls here.

Victor Dawson 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, this is a popular article. I am just glad to see that the snowfall isn't a referendum on the Obama Administration, yet. I am sure Mother Nature was trying to send a message to Obama to stop trying to control the weather machine by dumping all of the snow on the sidewalks. Just joking, I couldn't resist!!!

I hope everyone is safe and no injuries!!!

BMI 4 years, 8 months ago

Eride (Anonymous) says…

I'll be carrying my phone with me on my run tomorrow… for once something will be done about the lazy people who don't maintain their sidewalks… yay!

I'm all for shoveling sidewalks, mine is done as is my mother's. But Eride's tattletale attitude may have just done more bad PR for runners than anything I've seen in a long time. Can you see people who normally brake to let runners go through intersections without stopping so they won't break their stride all year long (when the car has the right to go through unheeded) now remembering this comment and thinking:

'That could be Eride, the one who calls about some poor person who might not have even been in town for the snowfall or was disabled and too poor to pay to have their sidewalk shoveled, some single mom whose ex-husband isn't paying the child support on time and she's got a infant or toddler ill inside and can't leave them alone to go out to do it herself. No way in hell am I being nice to a runner!"

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 8 months ago

Don't you know Rez, that snow removal is a right, just like health care?

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 8 months ago

Healthcare_Moocher,

I don't know about you, but I have yet to see a cyclist ride on the sidewalks in this town even when they are completely clear! They like to ride down the middle of the street at 15 miles an hour for blocks at a time.... yada yada yada.

BMI 4 years, 8 months ago

classclown, you bring up a good question. Some people have wider sidewalks then others do. Just how wide a path must be shoveled? Must the entire path be shoveled regardless of width? I think for some elderly, this could be very beneficial. To only have to clear a 2.5 ft path, or 3 ft instead of perhaps 4-5 ft would lessen the time in the extreme cold and heart stress a lot.

KSShy1 4 years, 8 months ago

So as a homeowner....can I just pay to have the dad blasted sidewalk removed so it won't be a problem anymore. I could plant pretty tulips all along the way. It would be so much prettier.

budwhysir 4 years, 8 months ago

we should tour the city and check on all city officials driveways and sidewalks. I expect there to be no question that they have cleared them prior to issuing a ticket. check it out, eastside rocks, leave that snow, leave that snow. The popo will issue a ticket dont ya know

scoop it clear soop it clear, the tax man is getting near. make it clean make it clear, we dont want no snow round here. roads are covered but not the walk, now thats just good old political talk

clovis_sangrail 4 years, 8 months ago

I live off of Michigan Street north of Second. There are sidewalks on both sides ot the street in that area, but pedestrians are having to walk in Michigan Street because hardly any property owners have bothered to clear them. Property owners along North Michigan include, in addition to private residences, two mobile home courts, an apartment complex, a church and a daycare center, and although some of the residences are cleared, very little of the sidewalks adjoining commercial property has been.

I snitched them off and am waiting to see if it has any effect.

KSShy1 4 years, 8 months ago

How about Wakarusa Street and 6th this morning, people exit the bus at the bus stop which is piled high with snow....so the pedestrians have no choice but to walk down Wakarusa Street IN TRAFFIC as there is no access to the sidewalks that are not cleared. So who is supposed to clean these sidewalks? No houses near them. I would think the city should be more concerned with the more public sidewalks around bus stops than with private homeowners on side streets when schools are not in session. Oh, and my not so traveled street, finally got plowed yesterday afternoon......thank you.

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

"But Eride's tattletale attitude may have just done more bad PR for runners than anything I've seen in a long time. Can you see people who normally brake to let runners go through intersections without stopping so they won't break their stride all year long (when the car has the right to go through unheeded) now remembering this comment and thinking:

'That could be Eride, the one who calls about some poor person who might not have even been in town for the snowfall or was disabled and too poor to pay to have their sidewalk shoveled, some single mom whose ex-husband isn't paying the child support on time and she's got a infant or toddler ill inside and can't leave them alone to go out to do it herself. No way in hell am I being nice to a runner!”

Sure hope karma doesn't help Eride blow a knee stepping off a perfectly dry curb one day onto a unseen rock making it extremely painful for he/she to shovel their walk for the rest of their entire life, or go on their daily run."

My response:

Considering that in all cases that a car yields to me (this is a good laugh, like cars frequently yield to pedestrians... the general assumption by runners is they won't and we act accordingly) I have the right of way because I am crossing in a marked or unmarked crosswalk I am puzzled why the driver would only be following the rules of the road and not hitting me for giggles purely out of his love for runners and not due to some legal and moral duty to follow the law. Or wishing harm to befall me simply for wanting people to live up to their pre-existing legal duties (and something that has just been common courtesy nationwide for decades)... hmm...

This all simply comes down to a few things.

1. State law gives you a duty to repair and maintain sidewalks abridging your property.

2. If you don't clear your sidewalks of obstructions and someone is injured you may very well be liable.

3. That person being injured may be... me.

4. The City of Lawrence has passed an ordinance giving property owners 48 hours to clear their sidewalks of snow and given a phone number to call to report violators.

Considering that if the sidewalks are not cleared the dangerous obstruction (i.e. snow) could remain for several more days... of course I am going to call! Why is my ability to legally use a sidewalk trumped by you being to lazy to go out there and spend a few minutes shoveling snow once or twice a year? You don't like the laws of this state and this city? Fine. Ignore them. But don't turn around and cry when you get a ticket. Besides, a ticket spurring you on to do what you should have already done is better then a possible tort action.

Typical selfish attitude. Blame me for calling when it is the only way the city will enforce the law instead of blaming the lazy people who can't spend a few minutes shoveling snow... ha.

been_there 4 years, 8 months ago

I skimmed through a couple of pages of Eride's comments but cannot tell if he has a sidewalk to shovel. I also wonder if he has volunteered to shovel for elderly or disabled people. How about it Eride? Yes I shoveled my walk.

cammieb 4 years, 8 months ago

KSShy1 said:

"So as a homeowner….can I just pay to have the dad blasted sidewalk removed so it won't be a problem anymore. I could plant pretty tulips all along the way. It would be so much prettier."

No, you may not take out your sidewalk! My father, many planning commissioners, and city commissioners in the late 1960s passed the city ordinance requiring a sidewalk be built on at least one side of the street for all new construction. This was to help ensure the safety of pedestrians. I believe the snow removal ordinance was also passed for the same reason: to ensure the safety of pedestrians.

I understand that many of the bloggers disagree with these ordinances. I suggest: run for the city commission, get appointed to the planning commission, or move to a small town with few city ordinances.

I, myself, greatly appreciate the safety measures our city government have provided for many years.

Thank you Dad.

been_there 4 years, 8 months ago

So the homeowners on the side of the street without sidewalks get to sit in their house and laugh at the neighbors across the street as they shovel.

dani36921 4 years, 8 months ago

Global warming does not exist =)

Oh, and yes the 48 hour ordinance is a pain in the butt and the city isn't quite holding up their end but stop complaining. Get your shovels out. Is our society really that lazy??? I mean you bought the house with the sidewalk in front of it!!! If we are too lazy to shovel our sidewalks, no wonder our city doesn't plow our streets.

KSShy1 4 years, 8 months ago

So if the homeowners are responsible for the sidewalks on their property......does that make the bus drivers responsible for the bus stops? I don't see bus drivers scooping snow. Just like I don't see anyone getting tickets for leaving dog do do on the sidewalks......Crazy town we live in.

Richard Payton 4 years, 8 months ago

Watch out runners for I have shoveled but I noticed a dog that raised its leg. Please don't slip on the yellow ice~!

Betty Bartholomew 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't like my neighbors. I think I'll throw the snow on their lawns. Might make up a bit for them letting their dogs poop in our yard and pee on our trees, shooting pellet guns at our house, and generally coming onto our property uninvited.

I think there needs to be some sort of equalizing force for the people without sidewalks, though. Maybe they should have to pay half of the ticket if the sidewalk across the street from them isn't shoveled. They use it to walk their dogs when they want to use our yard as a restroom, they should have to help keep it clear.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 8 months ago

There are various advantages and disadvantages to owning land.....this is one of the disadvantages; but it is your responsibility. Get out and do it, save the excuses.

mlt7898 4 years, 8 months ago

not everyone is capable of getting out and shoveling their sidewalk right away, how about the eldery or disabled? Maybe the City should worry more about cleaning off the side streets (that as of today are still a mess in some areas) and less about a sidewalk? not sure too many people are out riding their bikes when its snows. I'd love to be able to ticket the city for not cleaning off the streets! Ridiculous.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 4 years, 8 months ago

When I was in school, a friend and I used to go through the neighborhood with our shovels and offer to clear their driveway and sidewalks for $10. Got out there early and finished late, but we bagged ~$200 (a benjamin for each of us) in a day. The trick was to try to get out early enough that you caught some people as they were getting ready for work so their driveway would be clear before they had to leave. For some of the much older neighbors, we did theirs at no charge. Come spring, they were waving at us and saying hello as we walked to and from school instead of cursing at us to get off their lawns.

KSShy1 4 years, 8 months ago

mr_right_wing.... No excuses. The issue is not getting out there and shoveling.....the issue is some folks have physical health issues (age + heart + lungs + discs in the back) that prevent them from just jumping up and running outside to shovel the sidewalk. And our city is wanting to issue them a ticket for not being young and in picture perfect health to shovel snow. Not everyone has grandkids to come over and help grandpa and grandma with this shoveling either. And its not just the elderly that need help. There are folks with minor disabilities that also prevent them from shoveling snow. Teenagers used to walk the neighborhood offering to help people.....those teenagers don't exist anymore.

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

"KSShy1 (Anonymous) says…

So if the homeowners are responsible for the sidewalks on their property……does that make the bus drivers responsible for the bus stops? I don't see bus drivers scooping snow."

My response: Your logic doesn't make any sense. In fact, this is so irrational I can't even figure out what you are trying to argue.

"bethlang1998 (Anonymous) says…
I think there needs to be some sort of equalizing force for the people without sidewalks, though."

My response: The accepted argument for that is property values will adjust for this benefit or inconvenience depending on how you look at it... ha. Personally I would point out that needing to shovel snow has been an on going occurrence around these parts for decades and just like needing to mow a lawn... is something someone should consider before buying or renting property. If you physically can't mow your lawn and do the other things required to own or rent property you had better be able to pay someone else to do it or you should reconsider your choices.

This isn't new. No one debates the need to mow their lawn to comply with that city ordinance but a city ordinance designed for the safety of pedestrians, that Lawrence residents usually only need to do a couple of times a year, that on average takes less time by far then mowing is too much to put up with? What a bunch of lazy, selfish people living in this community.

been_there 4 years, 8 months ago

You missed my comments directed at you Eride. I'm really curious.

raw 4 years, 8 months ago

Ticket the damn city, City crews dumped snow in my driveway and on my sidewalks after they were shoveled. And they did it twice. I'll fight it every step of the way.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 8 months ago

mr_right_wing 4 years, 8 months ago

Don't we still have kids that go around in the summer and mow lawns for $$? Where are some enterprising kids right now...how about earning some after-Christmas $$ while you're still on break?

roger6855 4 years, 8 months ago

I think the city should shovel the sidewalk on the property they own behind my house, I noticed today the sidewalk still hadn't been shoveled.