Archive for Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Democrat defects to GOP over health care

December 23, 2009

— A U.S. House Democrat who opposes the health care overhaul announced Tuesday he is defecting to the GOP, another blow to Democrats ahead of the midterm elections.

U.S. Rep. Parker Griffith spoke to reporters at his home in northern Alabama, a region that relies heavily on defense and aerospace jobs.

“I believe our nation is at a crossroads and I can no longer align myself with a party that continues to pursue legislation that is bad for our country, hurts our economy, and drives us further and further into debt,” Griffith said as his wife, Virginia, stood by his side.

The 67-year-old radiation oncologist was narrowly elected last year in a district that includes Huntsville and Decatur. President Barack Obama lost badly there to Republican John McCain.

Griffith also slammed the health care overhaul making its way through Congress. He was one of 39 House Democrats to vote against a version of the bill that narrowly passed.

“I want to make it perfectly clear that this bill is bad for our doctors,” he said. “It’s bad for our patients. It’s bad for the young men and women who are considering going into the health care field.”

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 12 months ago

Well, Tom, there is really no news here. He's in a conservative district in the South, and the Republican Party has for all intents and purposes been transforming itself into a regional party based in the old confederacy ever since Nixon.

leedavid 4 years, 12 months ago

Bozo....no news? A democrat jumps ship over this health care bill and that is not news. WOW!

Richard Heckler 4 years, 12 months ago

A maine republican left the republican party recently over the health care legislation.

Then again the repubs have no plan that improves the quality of life for americans.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 12 months ago

The healthcare bill may have played a minor part, but this is about a representative in a southern conservative Republican district doing what will most likely get him re-elected. It would only have been news if he hadn't changed parties.

cowboy 4 years, 12 months ago

I am hard pressed to think of a handful of names in the congress that could be associated with honor , truthfulness , commitment to the citizens business. They are nothing but a group of political prostitutes positioning for their next election. It's time for term limits , no more than two terms and you're out. Maybe one term might actually be better !

Dan Eyler 4 years, 12 months ago

Cowboy is the only person with any common sense. So democrats and republicans are going to improve my life? I don't live hoping that someone in government or congress will improve my life. Only I can do that. If I only have gevernment paid healthcare my life will improve and I will be all better. I am laughing all the way to the IRS with my check book. I'm broke but I got crappy government healthcare. So what else do you need from someone else to improve your life? Let me answer that for you. Anything as long as your not accountable.

1029 4 years, 12 months ago

Parker Griffith was never a democrat. His ideology has always been much more like a Republican's--anti-woman's rights, anti-gun control, anti-immigrant, anti-gay, anti-environment, etc. About time that he realized who he was. Way to go with that self-discovery, Parker. Sure took you long enough.

anon1958 4 years, 12 months ago

Unfortunately Cowboy is pretty much spot on. However I think it was Hitchens that said we dont need better politicians, we need a smarter electorate. Hitchens has the answer to the problem Cowboy identified.