Archive for Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Court orders 2 men’s noses, ears cut off

December 23, 2009

— A Pakistani court has ordered the noses and ears of two men cut off after they did the same thing to a young woman whose family spurned one of the men’s marriage proposal, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

The anti-terrorism court in the eastern city of Lahore said it was applying Islamic law by ordering the punishment.

Lahore prosecutor Chaudhry Ali Ahmed said one of the accused, Sher Mohammad, was a cousin of the 19-year-old woman and wanted to marry her. Her parents refused his proposal.

Sher Mohammad and a friend, Amanat Mohammad, were accused of kidnapping the woman and cutting off her ears and nose in late September in the Raiwind area of Lahore.

The court on Monday also sentenced each man to 50 years in prison and told them to pay fines and compensation to the woman amounting to several thousand dollars, the prosecutor said.

Pakistan’s legal system has Islamic elements that sometimes lead to orders for harsh punishments, but the sentences are often overturned and rarely carried out. Serious crimes are often referred to anti-terrorism courts in Pakistan because they move faster.

Violence against women, especially attacks by spurned lovers, also occurs frequently in this impoverished South Asian nation.

The men have seven days to appeal the ruling, Ahmed said.

Comments

consumer1 5 years ago

This post has too much comedy potential to pass up on.

WhyYouSoStuben 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree - I also think that social injustice, gender inequality, and mutilation are quite entertaining. What's not to laugh about?

sk8infreeee1 5 years ago

BrianR 5 years ago

sk8infreeee1 (Anonymous) says… "I am so glad i do not know what it is like to grow up in a country where acts like these have laws for them because it is common."

Wait until Brownback is governor.

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

they deserve to have anything dangling cut off too.

sk8infreeee1 5 years ago

I second that honey, but is it severe enough. I just don't know. Not familiar with such horrors.

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

i say that they should douse them w/ rubbing alcohol and salt AFTER they cut the danglies off.

sk8infreeee1 5 years ago

Well what about putting lighter fluid up their a** and lighting it letting them burn from the inside out. Is that on the right kind of punishment for crime level?

RoeDapple 5 years ago

consumer, This kind of crime against women, or anyone for that matter usually leave me cold... and angry at the people who commit them, so it is difficult for me to see much humor in them.

That being said, I will be sniffing around for additional clues, and will let you know if I hear anything...

sk8infreeee1 5 years ago

thanks... well hope everyone has a happy holiday. I am thankful to know where I will be at then

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

The problem with such punishments is that someone needs to carry them out. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who would do it is as sadistic as these two guys, only they've been hired by the state. I sure wouldn't want to live next door to these particular state employees.

DMH1983 5 years ago

eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth

KansasPerson 5 years ago

No humor here. Wow, consumer. Glad you re-assessed your position; sorry it took someone else to point it out to you.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

What happened to this woman was horrible, and I respect the right of these people to follow their own law. However, as a Catholic I do not believe in an eye for an eye. I was taught in RCIA that this is one of the things that Jesus was against and was one of the reasons the chief priests of the temple were so angry at him. I would not want to see these men mutilated and in pain. They should be punished for their crime but not this way.

PrettyTony 5 years ago

Sounds like Justice to me. U.S needs to pick up on that type of punishment.

classclown 5 years ago

Was the court order given in order to spite their faces?

Shane Garrett 5 years ago

Brian R: Are you saying that Brownback, if he becomes the gov. of Ks., will bring about something akin to Sharia law?

BrianR 5 years ago

You can't possibly be that thick.

Please do take a sense of humor out of petty cash.

MFC

gccs14r 5 years ago

Those two guys need to be fed to a wood chipper feet first.

feeble 5 years ago

"Revenge is a kind of wild justice, which the more a man's nature runs to, the more ought law to weed it out."

~ Francis Bacon

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

If this had happened to me I would hope that I would wish for justice, but not for any kind of physical pain to be inflicted upon the two men. Because if I wanted that and could understand and accept my desire for mutilation then I should be able to understand it in others.

50YearResident 5 years ago

Reminds me of the old joke about the 3 traveling salesmans that were caught having sex with the farmer's daughter. As a punishment the farmer asked what each of the salesman sold. The first one was a knife salesman so the farmer went to the kitchen for a knife and proceeded to cut off.......................and so on to the second............then to the third.............! Anyone remember that one?

Newell_Post 5 years ago

Chopping off the hand of a thief for minor shoplifting is cruel and barbaric. Chopping off the noses and ears of a couple of guys who premeditatedly did the same thing to a woman for no good reason, is entirely reasonable. When you all come to your senses and acclaim me emperor, I will clarify these basic issues of justice for you under Shariah law.

BorderRuffian 5 years ago

For the first time ever, I find myself in agrement with Sharia law. Make the punishment fit the crime! As the proud owner (servant?) of two daughters, my blood runs ice cold every time I hear about women/girls being subjected to this kind of horrific abuse.

I would only place two conditions on this punishment: first, carry it out immediately and in public. And two, after a period of 90 days (to let the cuts heal), I would have both of them undergo surgery to turn them into females, so they could return to society and be subjected to the same fate the young lady who was so horrifically disfigured has to endure - a life of scorn, ridicule, and most likely poverty.

Kirk Larson 5 years ago

An ear for an ear, a nose for a nose.

Maybe a few hours with a big anal fetishist wielding a splintery baseball bat?

Vangaurd3, That's my emotional response. My logical response says our Constitution forbids cruel and unusual punishment, no matter how cruel and unusual the crime.

Randall Barnes 5 years ago

NOT GOING TO COMMENT OR IT WILL BE DELETED...... WELL OK BRING JUSTICE TO AMERICA AN EYE FOR AN EYE I AGREE. YES A WOOD CHIPPER WOULD BE GOOD.NAIL THEM TO A TREE LET THEM HANG. AND NO I DID'T SAY A CROSS I SAID A TREE ALONG A BUSY STREET LET PEOPLE COME BY AND SPIT ON THEM AND LET THE DOGS USE THEM AS HYDRANTS.

MeAndFannieLou 5 years ago

Why not just lock them away from society so they can't do any more harm? Nothing you do to them is going to fix what they did to their victim. Nor will it deter other sick people from doing sick things.

Randall Barnes 5 years ago

YOU AND FANNIELOU...... IF THIS WAS THE LAW STUPID PEOPLE WOULD THINK BEFORE THEY COMMITED CRIMES. AND OUR PRISON POPULATION WOULD NOT BE AS BAD AS IT IS NOW. AND YES THAT WOULD KEEP MOST FROM DOING DUMB THINGS.

Kirk Larson 5 years ago

Vangaurd3, Well, you're clearly not a Christian (me neither, really) so I won't try to appeal to you that way. Yes, I believe the Constitution can be interpreted to reflect the morals and standards of the society which it sustains (It is the people who are living, not the document). I do not yet think our society is as sadistic and irrational as the place where these people come from. That's the difference between me and you, I guess. I think we can be better than that. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth leaves us all blind and toothless. I don't defend what they did, but I could not defend what it sounds like you want to do either. Lock 'em up as long as it takes for them to learn, life if you have to. But mercy is what makes us better. Revenge just makes you their equal.

been_there 5 years ago

Now in this country, had they abused and mutilated a dog, they would be legally prohibited from possessing any animals as part of their sentence. I think these guys should not be allowed to have any contact with a female ever again.

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 5 years ago

Turnabout is fair play, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. The woman is disfigured for life, where's the problem in returning the favor? As for Brownback, I think Tom Franks was right. Anyone expecting principles of any kind to rule Brownback's thinking are in for a surprise. it's not that he won't claim to be guided by some overarching principle, it's just that it will be a smokescreen.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

I really believe that if I had had my nose and ears cut off I would not want the same thing to happened to whoever did it. I would want them to get therapy and get healed, to find their way back to the path of peace and moderation.

pace 5 years ago

glad it isn't a local story.

Boston_Corbett 5 years ago

I'm thinking people like Marion who thinks he can interpret or explain anything islamo-related.

Katara 5 years ago

I'm thinking having these men pay for the facial reconstruction the woman needs is at least a minimum requirement. If they can't afford it upfront then all their future wages and earnings go toward that debt.