Archive for Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Oral Roberts recalled as charismatic leader

December 22, 2009

— For decades, Oral Roberts deftly used television to become one of the nation’s most recognized and influential preachers. On Monday, that same medium was used to broadcast the memorial service for the godfather of TV evangelism to tens of millions of homes across the world.

At Roberts’ namesake university in south Tulsa, about 4,000 people — some who waited hours in their cars for the doors to open — packed a campus arena to pay final tribute to the charismatic leader who rose from poverty and humble tent revivals to build a multimillion-dollar ministry.

Roberts died last week of complications from pneumonia in Newport Beach, Calif. He was 91.

“You sent us a man who we know and loved, and who walked with God and never gave up the common touch,” fellow TV evangelist Pat Robertson said during the ceremony’s opening prayer.

Comments

anon1958 5 years, 6 months ago

Praise from Pat Robertson, how insulting and demeaning! Oral Roberts believed he walked not only with God but also a 900 foot tall incarnation of Jesus.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 6 months ago

Charlatan. Huckster. Exploiter of the weak willed. I can't wait to watch the family tear itself apart over where control of the all that money goes. Popcorn anyone?

Romans832 5 years, 6 months ago

ShePrecedes: I say good riddance to such a money-grubbing person.

Let's put that shoe on the other foot. I had no respect for Tiller's occupation, and I thought he was in it for the money, but it would be disrespectful of his survivors to say "good riddance." He was someone's father and husband, and they have every right to my sympathy, whether I agreed with his positions or not. Same goes for Mr. Roberts.

tomatogrower 5 years, 6 months ago

I know, I know. We are just jealous because we didn't think of his scam, er scheme first. What a laugh.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

just glad he can't mislead anybody anymore.

he and robertson should've been ashamed of themseles years ago. they are what the Bible calls "stumblingstones."

here's a story that puts his life's work in proper context: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/dec/28/probe_shines_light_prosperity_gospel/?more_like_this

the false prosperity gospel is deeply destructive to real faith. read more on it and Roberts at www.equip.org

sadly, there are churches here in lawrence that teach some of the same toxic waste.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 6 months ago

Bearded Gnome, thank you!! Oral Roberts was a source of supreme embarrassment. I can't forgive the tearful plea "If I don't raise x-million dollars by such-and-such date, God is going to call me Home." I was a very impressionable 20-something when he pulled that one, but I remember thinking okay, if he claims to be so close to God, why does he mind going? That was nothing more than a shameful, manipulative fleecing of the flock. It was all about the money for that man, period.

Reuben Turner 5 years, 6 months ago

y'all quite hating and let the man die in peace. if you gave money, don't give no more. if you didn't, then don't start. he is just one, there are many more. the difference is they have learned more ways to get your money. Creflo, Jakes, parsley, Hinn, Kerney,and the list goes on and on. if y'all had studied the word and followed it y'all would have not given what you had. don't blame them for being so crooked, because you was aiding them. these preacher-evangelist--prophets-whatever they go by, can only do as much as the people allow them to do. Y'all let the man die in peace.