Archive for Saturday, December 19, 2009

Man convicted for being naked in his home

December 19, 2009

— As Erick Williamson sees it, being naked is liberating, and if passers-by get an eyeful while he’s standing in front of a picture window, that’s not his problem.

A Fairfax County judge saw it a little differently Friday, convicting Williamson of indecent exposure in a case that has raised questions about what’s OK when you’re in your own home.

Two women said they saw much more of Williamson than they cared to in October, even though he never left the confines of his home. He received neither jail time nor a fine but is appealing anyway, saying a larger principle is at stake.

“I think that being tried and found guilty of something like this is outrageous,” Williamson said after he was convicted and sentenced. “I feel like I’m living in a fishbowl.”

Comments

KEITHMILES05 5 years ago

Them women should be the ones punished snooping in his house. Is nothing sacred?

Richard Heckler 5 years ago

These women were feeling depressed that the man would not invite them in.

Most windows do not allow vision with clarity unless one puts some effort into the viewing.

Naked people in their own homes goes on daily ..... this is not new.

After all we are born naked.

jonas_opines 5 years ago

“I feel like I’m living in a fishbowl.”

Putting up some curtains might help that feeling, as well as not standing in front of bay windows.

sundancewierdo 5 years ago

This is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard! I used to live next door to this guy that would work out naked, we loved it! It was funny! Nudity is awesome! it's not like he was running around the neighborhood in a trench coat flashing little girls. leave him alone!

BigPrune 5 years ago

He was standing naked in front of his picture window and observed over a period of hours. Now, why would someone want to stand naked in front of a picture window when they will obviously be seen, especially to a woman walking her 7 year old son? He's a pervert.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

Nudity is not beautiful to everyone, and not all bodies are beautiful. This was obviously a case of someone deliberately exposing himself to whoever walked by. He made this into a public viewing so he should be held to the law. If he does this again he should do some jail time.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years ago

This is really a rather stupid ruling, but I found Merrill's sexist comment quite interesting since he's a faux-progressive:

"merrill (Anonymous) says…These women were feeling depressed that the man would not invite them in."

Careful Merrill, your misogyny is showing.

BMI 5 years ago

Look at photos, read more, enjoy the comments thereafter. He had sheer curtains. She was not on a sidewalk but on a path beside his home, and had to stand to watch him to see him. He wasn't wandering from room from room for her to see him, he was in his small kitchen.

Had the person inside been a woman, and the viewer been a man standing outside HER window peering in, he would have been arrested and charged don't you think? Also note, the arresting officer was her husband! A case of my husband is a cop so I am powerful. How did they find out if anyone else saw, did she go door to door, asking others to go look into his windows to support her case? Was he in fact the victim of a phone tree set-up-stalking by her little PTA pit viper squad? He's going to appeal as I suspect he'll win.

Boston_Corbett 5 years ago

When I saw the headline I thought it might have involved our nine-fingered Wyandotte County history and race relations expert.

SandCoAlmanac 5 years ago

" ... saying a larger principle is at stake..." I wonder if his principle is really as large as he thinks it is and is offended because a couple of people disagree with him? He might have been better off keeping his principle on the down-low and outa sight.

Kathy Getto 5 years ago

Irish, this one's for you.

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion. ~Francis Bacon

denak 5 years ago

Any person who willfully exposes his or her person or private parts in any public place, or from any place which is reasonably calculated to be viewed from a public place, shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the purpose of this Section, the phrase "persons or private parts" shall include male and female genitalia, buttocks and female breast. (Code 1979, 14-614; Ord. 5516, Art. 6)...

The above ordinance is for Lawrence but I posted it to point out the issue at hand. I don't have the ordinance for where Mr. Williamson lives but I'm sure it is similar.

The question at hand is not whether or not Mr. Williamson can walk around his house naked. Of course, he can. However, the question is: Did Mr. Williamson violate the ordinance when he exposed himself that one can reasonably expect others to see him?

And to me, the answer is 'yes, he did." One could reasonably calculate that one will be seen if one is standing in front of a picture window naked. One can also reasonably expect to be seen if one is standing in a doorway.Mr. Williamson can spit it all he wants but he exposed himself to the public but standing where he did. He should just take responsibility for his action and accept the consequences which obviously with no jail time or fine, weren't that harsh.

Dena

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

19 June 2009 at 3:38 p.m.

Suggest removal

Anonymous

merrill (Anonymous) says…

Nude buffs ready for Naked Hiking Day

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

3 December 2005 at 4:41 p.m.

Suggest removal

Anonymous

merrill (Anonymous) says…

It seems like the neighborhood has learned to live with the situation[location of Naughty but Nice across from Mass st. Dillans]. So don't make them move. Business will no doubt improve with the new attention…kids will become aware. That part of Mass is so retail. How many gas stations sell rubbers aka Condums? I've never checked these places out but I am becoming evermore curious.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Maybe if he installed a pole to dance around....