Archive for Friday, December 18, 2009

Sunday’s Chiefs game blacked out

December 18, 2009

— A Kansas City Chiefs home game is being blacked out locally for the first time since 1990 after the team failed to sell enough tickets for Sunday’s game against Cleveland.

Chiefs officials say the game won’t be televised within a 75-mile radius of Kansas City, including for subscribers of DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket.

Last week’s contest against Buffalo came close to being blacked out before the Chiefs received an extension and sold the required number of tickets.

The Chiefs (3-10) had sold out 156 straight games. The game against the Browns (2-11) is Kansas City’s final home game this year.

Comments

Steve Jacob 4 years, 9 months ago

About time :) Maybe we get to watch a real game!

kujayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

They've been "blacked out" on my TV for quite some time now.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 9 months ago

Damn-- my whole weekend had been planned around watching two of the worst teams in the league.

skinny 4 years, 9 months ago

That's what happens when you have a losing team!

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

You mean there are people who still watch and cheer for the Chefs?

BrianR 4 years, 9 months ago

Who cares? Football season ended for me when Jayhawk basketball started.

somedude20 4 years, 9 months ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says… Directv is the way to watch sports. Chiefs won't be on, but who cares. I got rid of my season tickets, and frankly, that just means more money for the Jayhawks."

Holy Sh*t!!!!!! Barry P wrote a sentence (had a thought) that was not cryptic and had nothing to do with politics.

Very impressive...there might be hope for you yet!

Fruity22 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, people still watch the Chiefs despite them being bad. It is called being a non fair-weather fan.
No, you do not love football if you would rather watch Jon and Kate, bowling, darts, etc. over a NFL game.
Who wants to watch losers? I guess me I also like to watch KU football games and the Royals on occasion.

leedavid 4 years, 9 months ago

The Chiefs blacked out some time ago. Just took TV a while to catch up.

somedude20 4 years, 9 months ago

as a kid, we would put the word butt before the teams name butt chiefs, butt cowboys, butt packers, butt raiders, ect but the name really seems to fit now

butt buccaneers

ferrislives 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm a long time Chiefs fan, and I still watch their games. But I must admit that I cringe before every game, and I find myself shaking my head in disbelief to the point of getting a headache.

But I'll continue to watch them when they are on t.v., because I refuse to be a fair weather fan. There's nothing worst than a fair weather fan to me.

anon1958 4 years, 9 months ago

I am sure the blackout will inspire people to buy tickets. It has to! Isnt that the reason for blacking out the game?