Archive for Friday, December 18, 2009

Ottawa man lifts car off of trapped 6-year-old, hailed as Superman

December 18, 2009, 2:17 p.m. Updated December 18, 2009, 10:19 p.m.

— A Kansas mother is praising a neighbor as “Superman” after her 6-year-old daughter told her he somehow found the strength to lift a car off her.

The girl escaped with minor injuries after she and neighbor Nick Harris said she was pinned under the vehicle.

“He really is Superman,” Kristen Hough, the child’s mother, said Friday of Harris, the man she said saved her daughter, Ashlyn.

Harris, 32, said he doesn’t know how he managed to lift the Mercury sedan off the child. The 5-foot-7, 185-pound Harris said he tried later that day to lift other cars and couldn’t.

“But somehow, adrenaline, hand of God, whatever you want to call it; I don’t know how I did it,” he said.

Harris was dropping off his 8-year-old daughter at school last week when he saw a driver backing her car out of a driveway and over the child, Harris said.

“I didn’t even think. I ran over there as fast as I could, grabbed the rear end of the car and lifted and pushed as hard as I could to get the tire off the child,” he said.

He realized the little girl was Ashlyn, a friend of his daughter’s.

Harris carried the screaming first-grader to the sidewalk and was going to get his phone to call 911, but Ashlyn said she wanted him to stay with her.

He told people nearby to get the child’s mother, who lives a block away.

There were no witnesses to confirm what happened. But Ottawa police Lt. Adam Weingartner said, “I don’t have anything to dispute it.”

Hough said Ashlyn told her Harris lifted the car off her, Weingartner said.

Weingartner, the first officer at the scene, said Harris “was amped up pretty good. The first words out of his mouth were, ‘I lifted the car off the girl.”’

He said it appeared Ashlyn wasn’t pinned under the car long enough to be seriously hurt, Weingartner said.

Hough said her daughter was released from the hospital that afternoon with a concussion and some scrapes.

“She is my little walking miracle right now,” Hough said. “He truly is a superhero in the family’s eyes.”

Harris also visited Ashlyn later that day and was greeted with a big hug.

“I don’t consider myself a hero at all,” Harris said. “To me, it was payment enough when she gave me that huge hug and said, ‘Thanks, Superman.”’

Comments

thepianoman 5 years ago

Way to go superman! WOW. Amazing. A true hero you are!

diplomacy205 5 years ago

One family got an early Christmas present. Way to go!!

middlemgmt 5 years ago

Great Story! Way to go Mr. Harris! I'm glad it had a happy ending!

jackpot 5 years ago

Saw him on the news last night. Said he has tried to lift the car again three or four times but could not lift it.

Angela Heili 5 years ago

That is absolutely awesome! I'm glad he was there to help her.

thewayne 5 years ago

Great story, yeah. Thanks Superman

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years ago

no that was the hulk. I love happy endings.

bevy 5 years ago

Wish they would tell us whether the girl is o.k. Perhaps that's implied. Guess you never know what you can do until you try! That's amazing.

mdrndgtl 5 years ago

Mike Edson 5 years ago

What an amazing day to be able to thank a real Superman! Thank you Superman!

OutlawJHawk 5 years ago

What happened to the driver of the car? Was she cited?

Christine Anderson 5 years ago

Thank you, Mr. Harris, for caring enough to get involved! Now I know why my 11 yr. old "Rainman" loves Superman so much.

Brad Maestas 5 years ago

Great story. Glad to hear she wasn't seriously hurt. I'm with OutlawJHawk. Was the driver held accountable in any way?

RadarC 5 years ago

I heard that the driver will not be getting a citation.

Glen Moore 5 years ago

Mr Harris is a true hero! Way to go. If not for you I am sure the outcome would have been very different.

Scattered 5 years ago

A beautiful Christmastime miracle!!!!

redmoonrising 5 years ago

What a great story with a great outcome.

BigPrune 5 years ago

What a great story. I already forwarded the story to Drudge :)

I hope the hero didn't sustain any internal injuries which happens sometimes in these kinds of cases.

Richard Heckler 5 years ago

What happened to the person who ran over the child?

BigPrune 5 years ago

They have nightmares, feel guilty, are reluctant to drive again - who knows? Should someone be brought up on charges because they backed over a kid?