Archive for Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Police apprehend driver after pursuit, collision

December 16, 2009, 10:25 p.m. Updated December 16, 2009, 11:50 p.m.

Police arrested a 22-year-old Lawrence man Wednesday night on multiple charges after a vehicular pursuit that included a minor injury accident.

According to Lawrence Police Capt. Ray Urbanek, officers started following a white Ford pickup truck near the intersection of 23rd and Alabama streets when they saw the truck nearly strike another vehicle. The truck did not yield for officers, continuing eastbound on 23rd and striking another vehicle, a maroon four-door car, near the intersection of 23rd and Barker streets.

Urbanek said one person in the vehicle the truck hit was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with minor injuries.

The driver continued down 23rd Street with police in pursuit before pulling over at the intersection of 23rd and Ponderosa streets. According to Dan St. John, a witness who was driving westbound on 23rd Street at the time, officers approached the vehicle with guns drawn, pulled the man from his vehicle and made the arrest.

"I saw what looked like a routine traffic stop, but I noticed the front end of the truck was hanging down," said St. John. "I saw the officers were up with guns drawn, yelling through the driver's side door. Through my side mirror as I passed I saw them drag the driver out and pin him to the ground."

The pursuit started at about 9:45 p.m. and lasted less than five minutes. Urbanek said police were too far behind the suspect vehicle to gauge how fast it was driving at the time of the accident.

The man was arrested on charges of driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, driving without a license, leaving the scene of an injury accident, and felony attempt to flee or elude.

Comments

shepdog 5 years ago

WHAT YA GOING TO DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU!!!

budwhysir 5 years ago

and I ran I ran so far away,,, I couldnt get away

weatherguy48 5 years ago

I drove by and saw him laying on the ground all cuffed up. Then I got to 23rd and barker and honest to god it looked like 5 cars were involved. I think I counted 10 lpd cars on that whole stretch.

hawk4life79 5 years ago

Hey, weather guy, what did the fella look like?

imcat27 5 years ago

I was almost hit by this idiot. I turned left to get onto 23rd from Louisiana, and he ran the red light and zoomed past in the other lane. About 30 seconds later the Police came through in pursuit.

flux 5 years ago

Some day some way this guy will eventually get his drivers license back.

Chris Ogle 5 years ago

He didn't have a license this time.... oh well

skinny 5 years ago

The drivers name was???

Here we go again, the LJWorld being selective on who's names they print. I guess it depends on who you are.

Scattered 5 years ago

Thank God it wasn't a terrible tragedy.

I also hope this young man can get help. Oh wait, that's nearly impossible in Lawrence now!

weatherguy48 5 years ago

Hawk4life,

He wasn't fat, I know that much. He wasn't white, but I don't know if he was black or hispanic or what. I didn't get a very close look.