Archive for Monday, December 14, 2009

Buffalo player’s letter provides assurance to KU players

December 14, 2009, 5:57 p.m. Updated December 14, 2009, 6:33 p.m.

When University at Buffalo defensive lineman Dane Robinson found out his college football coach, Turner Gill, had officially accepted the head coaching job at Kansas University earlier this week, one of the first things he did was park himself in front of a computer and rattle off an e-mail to current members of the Jayhawks football team.

Among other things, the message — sent directly to the Kansas players who'd recently released a letter of their own voicing their support for KU athletic director Lew Perkins and his ongoing search for a new football coach — detailed the strides the UB program made under Gill over the past four seasons and assured Kansas players that they were getting a talented, high-character head coach.

The letter, which KU offensive lineman Brad Thorson read aloud during a news conference to introduce Gill on Monday, reads as follows:

I just wanted to say to you guys over at KU that you guys are getting a great football coach and should keep your worries minimal. I know that this transition doesnt come off good parting terms with your former coach and I know change can be a scary thing sometimes not knowing what your really getting. But same was the case when I was a freshman back in 2005 and Coach Gill was just as new to me and he is going to be to you. Now I am a senior and he has transformed everything we do here at Buffalo, how we carry ourselves, how we view the game of football, and how we view ourselves as football players. If he has taught us anything here at UB it was to believe, believe in ourselves, believe in this program, and believe in each other. His philosophy and style will always be to treat each one of you guys as people first, players second. He's going you help you use football as a catalyst to better yourself in your life right now and after football. Keep your minds and hearts open to everything that he has to offer you guys. I'll leave you with just one last thought from our mission statement "UB Stands for U BELIEVE" that Coach Gill implemented when he first arrived here, from the acronym B-E-L-I-E-V-E where each letter stood for what this program was going to be all about: B-Believe in each other and the things not yet seen. We did and it has taken us as players, as a team, as a program, and as a community to great things. Good luck to each and every one of you.

Dane Robinson #92

Comments

hbjayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

We should all believe . . . I just have a feeling that Turner Gil is going to bring something magical to us. About 3 weeks ago, I wasn't too sure about him, but the more I researched about his coaching philosophy and track record points him to a very good candidate. Lew won't hire someone who won't make us money, so I have a feeling that we are in for quite a combo:

BBall: Self Respect FBall: Turn'in it around

Go Hawks!

Yogi 5 years, 6 months ago

Although I think Coach Mangino was treated terribly by the university and in the media none of that is coach Gill's fault. I'll be pulling for him to continue building our football program into the Big12 power I know it can be. Welcome Coach Gill, and best of luck. Rock Chalk!

gsxr600 5 years, 6 months ago

I definitely have faith in Gill. He seems like a great man with a lot of potential.

parrothead8 5 years, 6 months ago

kubacker (Anonymous) says… I flat out reject the BS implication in this article that our team is anything like Buffalo, and that all the fans and all the players hated Mangino and he left our program in shambles with a bunch of no-talent clueless never-won-a-game players, all needing to be remade mentally and physically by the savior TG, with his losing track record. It makes me puke!

Boo hoo. Way to read something into a letter that's not there. He doesn't say, or imply, anything to the effect "that all the fans and all the players hated Mangino and he left our program in shambles with a bunch of no-talent clueless never-won-a-game players." It's a nice letter written by a college kid wishing well to his former coach's new players.

All he says about Mangino is that "I know that this transition doesnt come off good parting terms with your former coach," and he's right...it doesn't. No matter who you ask, Mangino supporters or Mangino naysayers, nobody is happy with the way it went down.

He's not saying KU is Buffalo, but he's comparing one human situation to another. Regardless of what school these kids go to, they're all human.

jimmyjms 5 years, 6 months ago

I thought it was a stand-up thing to do. Geez.

Sagecasey 5 years, 6 months ago

Although Brad is a senior, a class act letter written endorsing his old coach

equalaccessprivacy 5 years, 6 months ago

I appreciate Dane's enthusiasm and find it inspiring. His conversational tone is convincing. Of course, it can be very hard to find the line that accurately separates rhetoric from reality, but I'd think KU players would be heartened to receive a letter like this.

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 6 months ago

A fantastic letter. A fantastic new beginning.

To Coach Mangino: You did a great job, but as all of us adults know, in the real world, sometimes you have to move on for the good of all, including yourself.

No one can ever take away the accomplishments of a guy that never even played college football and became National Coach of the Year.

But now it's time to take care of your health and start over and become better.

KU is better because of Mangino and Mangino is better because of KU. It was a win win and now the future looks even better for all of us. It's time to get ready for the next game.

daddax98 5 years, 6 months ago

one last thing about mangino...how many of his current or former assistants came to his defense? i can't think of any and i think that speaks volumes more then any comments from former players (both positive and negative). he didn't give a damn about the school, the players or the program and i am glad his petty, abusive, vulgar arrogant ass is gone

4everahawk 5 years, 6 months ago

In athletics you cannot always depend on staff coming to another staff/coach's defense if there is any chance in hell that it might damage the security of their 'precious' jobs! There was just too much to lose for those losers who didn't defend him. They were getting rich right along with him - they should be thanking him.