Archive for Sunday, December 13, 2009

Shots fired outside the Granada Sunday morning

Gunfire follows fight; 1 injured, no arrests made

A fight ended in gunshots Sunday morning outside the Granada. One person was reportedly shot and taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

December 13, 2009, 3:05 a.m. Updated December 13, 2009, 12:45 p.m.

Shots fired downtown early Sunday

Emergency crews responded to calls of shots fired in downtown Lawrence. In this video, you can hear a round of shots being fired near 11th and Massachusetts streets. Enlarge video

Bullet holes found in cars after shooting

Officers located two vehicles in the parking lot north of Scotch Cleaners that had been shot Sunday morning. The incident is still under investigation. Enlarge video

Emergency crews investigate shooting

Emergency crews investigated the scene on Massachusetts Street after a shooting incident early Sunday morning. The incident is still under investigation. Enlarge video

Lawrence police early Sunday morning responded en masse to what several witnesses described as "several" gunshots in the area of the Granada in Downtown Lawrence.

Approximately a dozen Lawrence police officers, two ambulances and other emergency vehicles were on Massachusetts Street shortly after 2 a.m.

Lawrence Police Capt. Paul Fellers Sunday morning said in a statement that the incident began with a brawl inside the Granada that staff pushed outside. Lawrence police arrived to break up the fight when they saw a woman being battered.

As police were dealing with the fight, Feller said a series of shots rang out from the same area. A 19-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man was injured in the gunfire. He was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Jack Connor, a 2009 KU graduate who was back in Lawrence visiting friends, was across from the Granada between 1:50 a.m. and 2 a.m. watching the fight that had broken out.

"Originally there was a big melee and police officers came and the crowd dispersed," Connor said. "Then we heard a burst of between four and six gunshots. It was like pop, pop, pop."

Connor, who had dropped behind the large cement planters on Massachusetts Street, said he saw at least one Lawrence police officer pull what looked like an assault rifle from his vehicle immediately after the first set of gunshots.

A short time later, as Connor and his friends were walking toward their final destination for the evening, he said he heard another rounds of shots further south.

Fellers said Lawrence police investigated a second report of a shooting in the area of Scotch Cleaners, 1029 New Hampshire, or immediately east of the Granada. Fellers said police found two vehicles with bullet holes in that parking lot.

Bill Nissen, a bail bondsman in Lawrence, was at 11th and New Jersey also reported hearing "at least two" bursts of shots coming from the area of downtown.

Feller said police stopped a "vehicle of interest" in the 800 block of Pennsylvania Street, but did not make any arrests.

Several other individuals on the social networking Web site Twitter posted that they heard shots and had to hide behind barriers on Massachusetts Street.

Fellers said one of the officers responding was battered and was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital where he was treated and released. A 21-year-old Topeka man was arrested in connection with battery of a law enforcement officer.

Police said that as of Sunday afternoon, no arrests had been made in connection with the shooting.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Lawrence Police Department at 785-832-7509 or CrimeStoppers at 785-843-TIPS.

Check back to LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

frisbeenation 5 years, 6 months ago

Rounding out a horrible year for Lawrence, KS

maxcrabb 5 years, 6 months ago

Wow. That video is intense! There's no report of any shooting victims just yet, let's hope it stays that way.

(I don't think this is going to blow over)

tutulee 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi, Jack.

You're awesome again, as usual. I'm glad to have known you as my room mate, confidant and friend.

Don't let those bullets get to you.

maus 5 years, 6 months ago

Yikes, heard that on the eastside. Guns, politics, terrible times, blah, blah, blah- I just hope no one was seriously injured tonight.

KacieFaye 5 years, 6 months ago

I live on the same block as The Granada and this is what I have gathered from the evening.

Employees of The Granada pushed a fight outside onto Mass. St. shortly before 1:45 a.m.

Employees escorted them outside where LPD later arrived. Shortly thereafter the first round of shots were fired.

Around ten minutes later while an arrest was being made another set of 6 or 7 gunshots were fired.

It was unreal watching the crowd hesitate to vacate the area. Nearly 100 people stayed within the block. After the 2nd round of shots were made the crowd roared and retracted around 100 yards away from The Granada. At this time a police officer located on the corner of 10th and Massachusetts grabbed a large gun from his trunk and proceeded through the crowd towards The Granada.

Although cop cars blocked the majority of the blocks exit-ways, people sat in their cars or on their trunks as if they were waiting for a backup call.

At this point I left the side of my apartment to take cover from the windows. Over the next ten minutes I heard screams and people trying to persuade others to leave the block. I anticipated more gun shots because of the screams that would come and go.

After things died down I went over to look again and a large number of people still remained on the block. I'm astonished so many people hesitated to leave the scene.

I noticed a large number of red shirts and a lot of large groups walking together. A bystander during this time reported seeing a large number of blue shirts also. A source close to a Granada employee said a DJ from Topeka was playing tonight. The source said this is not the first encounter of violence The Granada has had from the DJ's crowd.

Cop cars cleared the blocks from 10th to 11th and Massachusetts shortly after 2:30 a.m.

An ambulance and another special emergency vehicle remained at the intersection of 11th and Massachusetts until around 2:45 a.m.

aoiuxn 5 years, 6 months ago

I was with friends downtown right across the street from the Granada when we heard 4 shots fired (though from the video it sounds like 6 shots). The mass of people outside the building immediately dropped to the ground and people dispersed around the block, but hovered nearby.

Dozens of cop cars began rolling in and there was a cop carrying a fully automatic rifle walking down the Granada side of the street. The cops were yelling at people to leave and go home instead of staying around waiting to see what would happen next. They hauled a person away in handcuffs into one of the police vans (he was wearing a white shirt and black hoody, not sure if its the same person from the video).

About 10 minutes passed and there was more gunfire, this time coming from what seemed like the other side of the Granada on New Hampshire (we were still on the opposite side of the street on Mass.). This time it wasn't 4-6 shots of a pistol, pop pop pop, but ~5 seconds of automatic gunfire followed by very quick successive bursts of pistol fire. It sounded like a warzone. More screams and people running around. This time everyone was getting out. I didn't stick around to see any more

Uhjh 5 years, 6 months ago

Maybe it’s time to shutdown the Granada. If they had problems with the DJs crowds before why invite them back. Purveyors of entertainment and owners need to be responsible citizens.

s_m_thompson 5 years, 6 months ago

persevering_gal 5 years, 6 months ago

KacieFaye 5 years, 6 months ago

@ S_M_Thompson Yep, you're my source that witnessed the blue crowds. Didn't know if you wanted to remain anonymous or not. Just played it safe for the time being.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 6 months ago

have been involved in unwanted anti-authoritarian protests on Mass, this is a scarily new reality for me. Mr. Pig, would you not have been more effective in safeguarding the immediate well-being of those in range of the incident by simply drawing your sidearm? Or were you just really horny for a chance to substantiate your shiny lil merit-badge, boyscout?

---uh, peacenick wacko, that 'pig' protects your right to speak as you do. and, your comment implies you think you know why the officer drew that powerful firearm.
well, where's your degree in administration of Justice? of course because of your far-left demented mind, it doesn't occur to you that possibly, just possibly, that 'pig' might've had good reason for needing somthing more powerful, more effective, than his sidearm.

that officer may have needed the artiliary in order to protect those people crowded on that block at the time. too often these days, the criminals are better armed than the law enforcement officers sent to their incidents. plus, you weren't there risking your life, the man you call 'pig' was.
shame o you.

kansasmutt 5 years, 6 months ago

Pride - Integrity & Guts More than most people have. Those who you talk down on will someday save your life and you`ll be thanking them. I salute all those who serve and protect . Be safe guys and dont be afraid to pull your equalizing weapons when you need them.

KacieFaye 5 years, 6 months ago

@hellsbasement-

A DJ The Granada books regularly from Topeka is the scoop I've heard. I was unable to get his name. It's not up on The Granada's website.

nobody1793 5 years, 6 months ago

Has Harbor Lights installed bullet-proof glass yet?

Randall Barnes 5 years, 6 months ago

WELL IF THE BARS WOULD DO LIKE THEY DID A FEW YEARS AGO. YOU EITHER HAD TO HAVE A LAWRENCE I.D. OR A STUDENT I.D. TO GO ALONG WITH YOUR OUT OF TOWN I.D. AND YES THE GRANADA USEDE TO DO THAT.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 6 months ago

persevering_gal (Anonymous) says…

It sounds like a few people will need to contact Bill Nissen (the bonds bailsman) within the next couple of days. ++++ Hahahaha!! I was expecting his next comment to be, "That's when I dashed down to my office and flipped on the marquee"

Where were the pistol packin', wanna be rambo, "crime goes down because of us" CCr crowd on this one? Crime in Lawrence seems to have sky rocketed since the ludicrous law went into effect. Not that there is any correlation, I am just remembering the CC cowards proclaiming that CC laws are proven crime reducers. I ain't seein' it.

Kuku_Kansas 5 years, 6 months ago

I remember when I used to be shocked by a headline like this.

Now, it sadly happens all too often. I just shake my head and think, "again, eh?"

Too bad.

cj123 5 years, 6 months ago

What happened to fighting with your hands?

Stuart Evans 5 years, 6 months ago

fighting with your hands is for braver punkass kids.

conservativepunker 5 years, 6 months ago

SM Thompson- news for you- it's not 1969 anymore, nor the era of Rick Dowdell. It's the era of North Hollywood bank robberies, terrorists and street gangs armed with military weapons. Welcome to the 21st century. And btw,Obama is the President, not Nixon, in case you weren't aware.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 6 months ago

Obama likes the police state. he found out that it's a cash cow.

Kathy Getto 5 years, 6 months ago

B_G How did the insane rantings of s_m_thompson become a far-left issue? Shame on you.

compmd 5 years, 6 months ago

OK, here's a lesson for some of you.

1) Odds are the police officer did not have a fully automatic rifle. Most likely a semi-auto high capacity rifle like an MP5 or M4. We can't fix our roads, I'm sure the LPD isn't buying $10,000 automatic rifles.

2) You didn't hear "automatic gunfire." Class 3 weapons are expensive, rare, and conversion is so difficult and likely to kill you if you screw it up, its not worth it. My HK91 is semi-auto, but if I get my finger moving quickly, I'm sure it would sound just like what TV tells you is an automatic weapon.

2) Given the number of shots fired, the officer was completely justified in obtaining a high power, high capacity weapon. At that time, he had heard no less than 10 shots; the magazine capacities for a Glock 22/23 (fairly standard police pistols) are 15 or 13 rounds respectively. You'd be hard pressed to find a reliable pistol a higher capacity. So, the officer knew at this point there were either multiple shooters, a single shooter who was almost empty, or a shooter with something other than a regular pistol. Stand there and tell me the officer wasn't justified, and I'll stand here and call you a moron.

hipper_than_hip 5 years, 6 months ago

The introduction of a rifle by the police may have persuaded the pistol shooter to quit while he was ahead.

somebodynew 5 years, 6 months ago

Mac- So does Lawrenceguy, but I doubt he is actually on any.

Graczyk 5 years, 6 months ago

These kids were just blowing off some steam after Stop Day. The stress of finals can get to anyone.

kusp8 5 years, 6 months ago

Could somebody send me a message with the name of the act from last night?

LJWorld, was this 21 year old a student at KU or just in town visiting?

KCMO_Jayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

HA! The DJ was not from Topeka, I was at the Granada myself!! The DJ was from Wichita (no affiliation to Topeka) and happens to be a pretty reputable DJ. He has been DJ-ing at least 15 years!

Inside the Granada a large group of girls, from Topeka, began fighting-brawl style. Granada security & staff were unable to handle the brawl between the young ladies (whom had been involved in a fight earlier that night). Once the Topeka side (YES! They all stand on one side together...lol) of the bar realized staff could not get the brawl amongst the young ladies under control, more fights began to break out. In fact, Granada security and staff responded by just pushing the fight out of the door. The people continued to fight outside.

What happened after that is a mystery to me bc I am obviously much smarter than the dumb folks that chose to stand outside and watch!

But I would like to concur that Topeka people are killing the good reputation of Lawrence. It pains me to say this, but I believe bars may have to just begin to deny Topeka people access! Or when you see them coming, raise the cover to $50...lol

StrangerCreek 5 years, 6 months ago

Was it Rap or Hip Hop? I'm sure it wasn't Blues, R&B, Reggae, or CW. Ban that kind of music and this will all stop. What a bunch of loosers. You pull out a gun and start shooting in a crowd, yeah, you're a tough guy.

I say we just open a club in a wheat field and let these nuts go wild on each other until they kill each other off. Funny how they all cry for thier mommies when they do get shot.

"Shot dead on the streets of Lawrence." That's something for the town to be proud of. I say thugs like these should be hanging from trees.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 6 months ago

It's the Granada which needs to be sanctioned. They can't seem to get it right how to control crowds.

kitchentable471 5 years, 6 months ago

Citizens such as lawrenceguy40 make me physically ill. Where will you be WHEN, not IF, it's your time to need police intervention. I wish I could be there to see you run and hide like a small child behind the man or woman that will protect your life and property at any cost. Even if that means that THEY don't get to go home to their families at the end of the night. To be the one that tells you afterward that the loud noise you heard ringing in your ears was not sirens coming to help you, but you screaming like a little girl in your time of need. Police officers go to war every night, and it's getting worse. This incident, among others recently, proves it. The officer that pulled out the rifle, or ANY gun for that matter, did so rightly. Thank God for police officers here or anywhere. They do the job that only a select few want and are capable of doing. They'll run in as YOU'RE running out.

anon1958 5 years, 6 months ago

That is a real nightmare situation that no police officer would want find himself in. Dozens of people milling around and refusing to disperse while someone or several people are pissed off and armed.

Where the hell is natural selection when it is most needed?

KCMO_Jayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Kingman019 (Anonymous) says…

“Shot dead on the streets of Lawrence.” That's something for the town to be proud of. I say thugs like these should be hanging from trees.

Ha, Ha! That is right! Just blame it on the music right?! I have witnessed fights break out to Miley Cyrus "Party in the U.S.A. Which would prove your correlation to be inadequate! I listen to Rap, Hip Hop, and R & B and I have never once shot a person or even been involved in a fight at a club that was playing that type of music!

As for hanging from trees...that is both socially and racially inappropriate! Furthermore, it showed me what type of person you are! Violence and ignorance only begets more violence and ignorance, check your history books. This so-called "great country" was founded on Violence and Ignorance!

StrangerCreek 5 years, 6 months ago

So KCMO, if you were shot at you'd just say OK? Just kids letting off steam? You really don't understand gang mentality do you? I know my history better than you do and if you look at the violence in this town it's just about always center on the same type of crowd at the same venues. Race has nothing to do with it and I never said it did. You did. That's your hang up. And the professionals will tell you there are many warning signs of violent behavior. Go back to school.

And no, the USA was not founded on Violence and Ignorance. Your statement to that is evident where the trouble is. But my dad always told me to never argue with an idiot, they'll beat you every time with ignorance so I leave it at that.

compmd 5 years, 6 months ago

Kingman019 says: "I know my history better than you do...no, the USA was not founded on Violence"

I'm really not sure where you learned US history...

Kuku_Kansas 5 years, 6 months ago

Kingman019--

That little thing called "the shot heard round the world" and the "American REVOLUTION" were just two examples of a tad bit of violence that led to our nation's true independence from Great Britain.

I could go on, but need a coffee refill.

Kuku_Kansas 5 years, 6 months ago

lawrenceguy40--

You do realize that most street gangs carry more firepower than local police officers, right?

You also read the part in the article about the hundred-plus size crowd that didn't flee the scene amidst all the chaos and gun shots?

You also realize an officer's side-pistol is also rather ineffective against a large crowd?

You also realize LJW readers would be slammed the LPD if just one, or more, innocent bystander was gunned down in this melee...citing lack of police presence and involvement?

Victor Dawson 5 years, 6 months ago

Kingman019, I think you are missing the point here. Your comment about thugs hanging from a tree is the out of bounds comment here. Racially ignorant comments have no place here and if LJW continues to allow this then I am truly sad for this so-called higher thinking community.

Justasis 5 years, 6 months ago

Another Bay Boy Party that ends in shootings, go figure. I do not understand why venues allow this promotional group to host parties. If you go back and look at the past stories in the LJWorld of shootings such as the Sept 6th " Police respond to shots fired call outside the Granada" that party was hosted by Bay Boy, or July 26th "Police investigating shots fired outside Econolodge" another Bay Boy party. Its sad that venues put dollar signs over patrons lives.

kitchentable471 5 years, 6 months ago

I dont think I made any apology regarding the appropriate police response that occured last night. And in regards to 'college town'..does anyone understand how understaffed the police department is when school ISNT in session? Those 'college kids' should be glad that a lone officer was there to step in front of the bullet that could've been aimed for them since they were just standing around watching. As for LPD contributing to 'as many deaths' as Topeka gangs..the media doesn't report how many times officers make the decision not to have a lethal confrontation when they would be justified to do so. They make decisions based on the total outcome of the event..unlike gang members who dont care if they're your kids or mine.

KCMO_Jayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

@ Kingman019 That is just the response I would expect from someone of your caliber. I'm done with it. I said what I said and I meant it! I am apparently far more educated than you believe me to be!

Lance Cheney 5 years, 6 months ago

geekin topekan - You're a mentally deficient stain of a human being. Your comment about the concealed carry was typical left-wing crap that gets generically inserted into these conversations when something like this happens. So I will generically insert my right-wing crap in response to your comment. How many of these morons that were shooting their guns actually had concealed carry permits? Zero, I'm sure. So your remark about concealed carry is pointless. It doesn't matter if the concealed carry law had been passed or rejected, these wastes of skin would still be down there with their guns either way. That's what we right-wing hillbillies have been trying to tell you left-wing douchebags all this time, but it's a futile effort, because you refuse to listen to reason. You're comparing apples to oranges when you try to correlate hip-hop concert violence with concealed carry laws. I'm sure this post will put all the liberals on this website into an uproar, but that is what happens when people speak without thinking.

KCMO_Jayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

@Justasis

Are you simply looking for someone to place the blame on?! Removing them will not remove the problem. Ignorance and violence are unpredictable...the only ones to blame are the individuals engaging in the ignorant and violent activities!!

hwarangdo 5 years, 6 months ago

Solution to bar fights: hire Steven Seagal as a bouncer. Although he makes a pretty good reserve deputy sheriff in Jefferson Parish too. Seriously folks, when one mixes ignorance + booze = morons.

George_Braziller 5 years, 6 months ago

It was at 2:09 a.m. because I looked at the clock. I had just gone back to bed after having a midnight snack. I heard five shots.

jimmyjms 5 years, 6 months ago

Sad and stupid.

Kinda like the comments of BarryPenders and AreUNormal.

flyin_squirrel 5 years, 6 months ago

Well good thing the Cave Dance club at the Oread Inn is now open. This will help get the thugs out of downtown Lawrence and into the surrounding neighborhood. At least I will feel safer at my favorite bar, Harbor...

geekin_topekan 5 years, 6 months ago

LC, you skidmark on the undies of life,

I am merely making a mockery of some of the past posts on this site that claim that crime rates go down as a result of CC laws and I am saying that crime seems to have actually gone up. No correlation just making fun of the would be Rambos who think that they contribute to society by having a license.

I dont doubt that they were at home armed and secure, where they should be.

Justasis 5 years, 6 months ago

After a little research, I discovered that KCMO_Jayhawk works for Bay Boy promotions. Dollars over safety eh?

relaytheurgency 5 years, 6 months ago

people who illegally carry concealed weapons in a town like lawrence, ks must have some kind of confidence issue. you mix partying, and the kind of situation which insecure males may feel the need to jump into in order to assert their "masculinity", and this is what you get. i feel the root of the problem is something a little more complex than which club happens to be playing hip-hop on a given night. some people simply measure their worth based on a perceived idea of toughness. such is life.

ltownsalty 5 years, 6 months ago

alright lawrenceguy, you obviously have some qualms with the lpd. Maybe you're a paranoid drug dealer, rodney kings family member, or possibly just an estranged moron. But here's the thing, the LPD helps people on a daily basis, if that dude felt the need to pull a large gun out, he should do it. That's why our tax money goes to his salary, so that we don't have to make decisions like that. I was sitting at fatsos while all of this went down, and for you to just act like you know everything about the situation and how to solve it just shows us how ignorant you really are. So why don't you think a little harder before you speak next time? By the way, I'm a pretty far left type of guy but when it comes to my safety, and weapons are involved, I'm going to let someone who has been trained on how to properly use that weapon protect me as opposed to myself. And those people tend to be police officers

acelin 5 years, 6 months ago

james bush 5 years, 6 months ago

Thanks to LPD for being there and protecting people from the nightlife thugs.

Reid Hollander 5 years, 6 months ago

I realize all the left wingers in Lawrence want to scare everyone with the description of any black rifle as being fully automatic but the LPD carries either an M4 semi-auto variant or Remington 870 combat shotguns.

As for the MP5 talk. This isn't Die Hard, no police in Lawrence, not even SWAT, are issued MP5's or any variant of an MP5. I would be surprised if they had any HK weapons at all since the are more expensive than alternatives such as Sigs, as well as the fact that HK makes sure it is difficult to use accessories not made by them such as tac lights.

brian1981 5 years, 6 months ago

I think every thug in the entire NE Kansas region has gotten wind of the fact that Lawrence does not punish gun violence at all.

How many times are people going to get a slap on the wrist for firing weapons into crowds here? I think to anyone with half a brain pulling a gun out and shooting it into a crowd of human beings smacks of attempted murder, regardless of how bad a shot you are.

Maximus 5 years, 6 months ago

things are never black and white. not all left wingers are trying to convince people of anything, and i'm sure not all right wingers are either. there are always going to be some great cops and some really awful ones that abuse their authority out there. the issue is there have been multiple shootings at this venue and fighting about being a left/right winger or whether the lpd is "bad" or not isn't going to keep these violent acts from happening.

greenworld 5 years, 6 months ago

Anybody looking to move here, welcome to Lawrence Ks. Keep all women and children inside. Thanks and enjoy your stay.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 6 months ago

If I remember correctly, the last few times we have had random shootings like this, they have charged someone within a week.

Iheartku01 5 years, 6 months ago

It makes me sad for all of you that are not grateful and have no respect for the people who are out there day and night, protecting and serving! Someday you will need their help and they will be there for you despite your obvious lack of respect! You should be happy that there are people who want to keep you safe! Police officers are not power hungry crazy people, they are selfless, giving, and caring people who would do anything to protect you! (Even the people who trash them on a daily basis, you people disgust me!)

Lance Cheney 5 years, 6 months ago

reid - I agree with you. I was 99.9% sure Lawrence police didn't have fully automatic weapons. But people assume that a rifle is a fully automatic machine gun just because it doesn't look like your typical "six-shooter" that you see in old westerns.

brian1981 5 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, they get charged . . . with aggravated battery.

Not attempted murder.

StrangerCreek 5 years, 6 months ago

So Starlight, you never made a typo? I'll be watching your posts with interest.

s_m_thompson 5 years, 6 months ago

Forgive me for being shaken-up and disoriented after finding myself trapped on the same block as this shooting. As well as for failing to realize that the second set of gunfire was not on that same block 15 minutes later, when I grew angry that all that police presence (which was blocking in my car from escaping the scene - and who wants to run around aimlessly downtown on foot during this kind of thing?) hadn't contained the incident in that much time. My state of mind in that moment combined with my "leftist" lean to produce an unnecessarily pissy question that failed to include that from my perspective, the rifle-wielding cop seemed to have LEFT the immediate scene to retrieve the big fancy weapon rather than choosing it upon arrival. I meant to bring up the matter of urgency versus effectiveness. Still totally creeps me out that such a weapon can be drawn that readily by city cops. Obviously no surprise to some of you threadlurkers, but I had no idea that kind of machine was in the realm of what can be pointed at me as a demonstrator based solely on the momentary discretion of the cop. I didn't expect anyone in this crowd to appreciate my stand on law enforcement and had no intention of arguing about it, but please appreciate my admission of omitting in haste a vital element to my criticism.

Tom Hilger 5 years, 6 months ago

Johnny Cash said to leave your guns at home, guess he'd never been to Lawrence.

rousseau108 5 years, 6 months ago

s_m_thompson:

maybe you should search past articles on this site about all of the rifles seized from vehicles in downtown Lawrence, including AK-47s and SKS rifles. Then maybe you'll understand why it would be very appropriate for an officer to choose his own rifle, which aren't "fully automatic" by the way, and are usually bought by the officers themselves, not with precious taxpayer money. Given all the mass shootings by rifle-wielding shooters recently, you'd probably be the first to criticize the police for not having the appropriate firepower to deal with the threat if they only had their pistols. You'll never see a cop in Lawrence pull any gun, pistol or rifle, on a peaceful demonstrator, so just give up trying to feed the fire of anti-police rhetoric this town loves so much.

MyName 5 years, 6 months ago

lol I was just thinking about that song DEDO.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 6 months ago

I guess s_m_thompson better not go up on campus. I hear the KU Police have those "machine guns" in all of their cars. Students and townies alike had better behave!

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

Way too much gun violence in Lawrence these days...it's sad. The out-of-town riff raff seems to instigate all of it.

chachi 5 years, 6 months ago

"KCMO_Jayhawk: There is no way to predict ignorance or violence! No way what-so-ever!! Ignorance comes in all shapes and sizes and it can reveal itself at any moment! And in this terrible incident no one is to blame except for the ignorant and violent people who engaged in the bs! Granada security and staff or the DJ do not matter!! They did not tell people to fight and act ignorantly and violently!"

Exactly...I'm glad you realize that. It gets old seeing people talk trash on a venue's staff for things like this. I dare one of you trash talkers to step into that situation and try to defuse it. It's so easy for you to sit at your computer and read headlines, then judge. I'm not trying to fire anyone up. I'm simply saying that I doubt a group of YOU could handle the situation any better.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 6 months ago

Chachi, the one thing that I have noticed in many years of living in Lawrence, is the crowd that a certain venue attracts is more responsible for the problems. Now if a venue could attract a less violent demographic.....that would be a good thing. You can't (honestly) argue the statistics that in Lawrence, places that play hip-hop tend to eventually have problems. Many places in this town where people were shot at or injured or killed by people from that venue's crowd.

cowboy 5 years, 6 months ago

Compton owns this place , perhaps an interview with how he feels about being the new Dennis Steffen is in order.

I would imagine there is some management deal involved but Compton needs to step up and flat out ban the hip hop shows. They attract an element that IS and HAS BEEN dangerous to the population of Lawrence.

The LPD should have some awareness of these shows also and have a large presence rather than waiting for the phone to ring.

somebodynew 5 years, 6 months ago

cowboy - I don't know where you get your information, but last I knew Compton didn't own this place or have anything to do with it. Now that could have changed as I don't spend my time trying to figure out what Compton owns or doesn't. (Then again, I don't spend my time trying to blame everything evil in Lawrence on him either.)

cowboy 5 years, 6 months ago

Granada LLC , contact is at First Management , thats Compton ,

chachi 5 years, 6 months ago

MichaelJ Im not arguing that fact. I'm just talking to the people who like to talk down about the STAFF. Saying that I doubt that they could do a better job trying to contain crowds like these. The staff, as in most bars here, is composed primarily of college students. It isn't the staff's fault things like these happen. Infact more often then not it's the people that the staff turn away or kick out that end up doing the shooting. As far as attracting a less violent demographic, thats true. However, most of the shows the Granada hosts aren't hip hop shows. I wouldnt exactly call that crowd " the venue's". Thank you for not being an over opinionated d-bag like some of the people who post on here :)

KCMO_Jayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Justasis (Anonymous) says…

If it makes you feel better, yea, you can go ahead and blame me. Was that your attempt to get the thread to focus in and attack me. See the difference between me and you is I am NOT a coward!!! You sit behind your computer and drop names of everyone, but all the while no one knows who you are. Huh?! Seems very cowardly to me. You have commented on a few occasions, anonymously.

Yes, I work for Bay Boy...am I the owner of the production company, NO...am I responsible for the bs, NO...only the individuals engaging in the bs are responsible. And the $$ is not a factor to me, I have a full time job, utilizing my two degrees from KU! And if you research well enough, you would know the two BUSINESS men that you are attempting to drag through the mud are also educated, compliments of KU!

So now what.....LOL...

somebodynew 5 years, 6 months ago

@Cowboy - I stand corrected. Things did change.

@KCMO- And just what difference does having multiple degrees make. You can be just as big an *** with or without degrees. If the events you sponser frequently involve violent behavior, you are just part of the problem. (and my information is based solely on what others have posted, I have no first hand knowledge.)

KCMO_Jayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

@somebodynew

I don't sponsor any events!! Pay attention! My point in saying that I have two degrees was to let Mr. Justasis know that I do not profit from those events. I am not the owner nor creator of the production company. Consider me staff, i.e. an employee...i.e. a part time job!! And my point in mentioning the two business men behind the production company was to say that they do not WANT the violence either. They have taken numerous steps to prevent acts like this. They can NOT be responsible for what other people do...if they could be held responsible don't you all think the city of Lawrence would have arrested them and charged them already! They have just as much right to operate a business like any other business owner in Lawrence!!

somebodynew 5 years, 6 months ago

KCMO - That is the same lame*** argument that Steffes used. How did that work out???? If you bring the thugs to the event, you are part of the problem. You may not be charged with anything criminally, but you are wrong just the same.