Eight injured in early-morning rollover on K-10

Two taken to KU Med Center, six to Overland Park Regional Med Center

Emergency crews responded Sunday morning to a multiple-injury rollover accident on K-10 in Eudora. As many as eight people were believed to have been injured in the single-vehicle accident.

December 13, 2009, 6:00 a.m. Updated December 17, 2009, 12:00 a.m.

Rollover accident injures eight

Eight people were injured in a rollover accident on K-10 Sunday morning. All eight passengers were taken to area hospitals. Enlarge video

Eight people were taken to Kansas City area hospitals early Sunday morning, following a one-vehicle crash on Kansas Highway 10, about a half-mile east of the Church Street exit in Eudora.

According to the Kansas Highway Patrol, the accident occurred about 4:20 a.m. when a 1999 Honda MPV CR-V that was heading west and left the road, crossed the center median and rolled over, landing on its top.

None of the eight occupants of the vehicle was wearing a seatbelt, according to a highway patrol report. According to initial reports from Douglas County emergency dispatchers, at least two people were ejected from the vehicle.

The driver, Jay N. Czervinske, 19, Olathe, and one passenger, Haley R. Schumann, 17, were taken to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., according to the highway patrol, which did not list a hometown for Schumann. A nursing supervisor said she had no information about either of them.

The highway patrol reported that six other passengers were taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center. Two of them — Angela Wolfe, 21, Kansas City, Kan., and Nathan P. Hansan, 21, Olathe — were treated and released, according to a nursing supervisor. She said Sunday afternoon that Jonathan M. Burge, 19, Leawood, was in good condition at the hospital.

Sean Canton, 21, of Olathe, has been treated and released from Overland Park Regional Medical Center, and Mackenzie R. Davis, 17, of Overland Park, was listed in critical condition Wednesday, said Shannon Peyton, a hospital spokeswoman. They were two people injured in a one-vehicle crash early Sunday morning on Kansas Highway 10 near Eudora.

The nursing supervisor said she had no record for the sixth patient — Thadeusz S. Smith, 19, Olathe.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

Randall Barnes 5 years ago

GRANADA THEN IHOP BEFORE LEAVING TOWN. ABOUT THE RIGHT TIME...

Richard Heckler 5 years ago

If it were not for Kansas City all serious accident victims might die.

grammaddy 5 years ago

We do not have the facilities to handle that kind of trauma. LMH has spent too much on cosmetics and not enough on medicine.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years ago

Because facilities like Level 3 Trauma and NICUs are a volume business. You cannot build it unless you have enough "demand" and keep it full. LMH could invest in that, but then those facilities would sit idle most of the time waiting for something tragic to happen. The KC hospitals have a higher volume of "bad stuff", so they have more facilities like that.

iloveme 5 years ago

I don't see where it says that another car is involved. But, a CR-V cannot hold 8 people. Surprising no one died on the scene considering there were no seat belts being worn.

clarkentsman 5 years ago

merrill since you understand cut and paste I hope this will help you understand "Why is it that Lawrence LMH(Lawrence Memorial Hospital) cannot deal with serious injury accident victims?"

KANSAS
University of Kansas Hospital Kansas City Level I Trauma Center 6/30/12
Overland Park Regional Medical Center Overland Level II Adult 5/2/09 * Labette Health Parsons Level III Trauma Center 8/27/12
Stormont-Vail HealthCare Topeka Level II Trauma Center 4/14/12
Via Christi Regional Medical Center Wichita Level I Trauma Center 6/9/12
Via Christi Regional Medical Center Wichita Level II Pediatric Trauma Center 6/9/12
Wesley Medical Center Wichita Level I Trauma Center 5/9/11
Wesley Medical Center Wichita Level II Pediatric Trauma Center 5/9/11

Effective May 1, 2007, the updated criteria for trauma center verification outlined in the Resources for Optimal Care of the Injured Patient: 2006 go into effect.

In addition, the Committee on Trauma (COT) of the American College of Surgeons has made substantive changes to the outcomes of a consultation/verification site visit and assist trauma centers achieve verification.

The Verification Review Committee (VRC) will evaluate the reports as written by the site reviewers, however, the VRC will now have the discretion to grant those trauma centers close to verification a one year certificate.

VRC Criteria Type I for Level I Trauma Centers http://www.facs.org/trauma/vrc1.pdf

VRC Criteria Type I for Level II Trauma Centers http://www.facs.org/trauma/vrc2.pdf

VRC Criteria Type I for Level III Trauma Centers http://www.facs.org/trauma/vrc3.pdf

VRC Criteria Type I for Level I Pediatric Trauma Centers http://www.facs.org/trauma/vrcped1.pdf

VRC Criteria Type I for Level II Pediatric Trauma Centers http://www.facs.org/trauma/vrcped2.pdf

As you can see Lawrence Memorial Hospital in not a designated Trauma Center.

jim08 5 years ago

Perhaps you should know the facts before you lash out at "all of the people standing around" and getting paid to do it. Eudora City fire is volunteer, the only paid people there were the ambulances.

workinghard 5 years ago

merrill- LMH is a city owned hospital. To provide those services it would cost big money which would come from taxes. Taxes comes from taxpayers, us, many that would never use the services. There would be some that would be from out of town that would never pay, thus we the taxpayers would be stuck with the bill. Something to think about.

Richard Heckler 5 years ago

Thanks for all of the input regarding the question I put forth.

Our experience with LMH has been nothing short of excellent which is what prompted that question.

LMH emergency room service has performed excellent for us as well. Again this is what brought the question to mind.

Enjoy this holiday time in every way possible.

Randall Barnes 5 years ago

HMMMMMM ROLLOVER EJECTED NO SEAT BELTS.. GUESS THEY WERE LUCKY THEY WERENT OR THEY MIGHT HAVE DIED. I NEVER WEAR MINE, IT DON'T AFFECT THE WAY I DRIVE...MORE STATS FOR MY LOG THAT IM KEEPING. SO THAT WHEN I GET A TICKET I CAN TAKE TO COURT......

KEITHMILES05 5 years ago

Surprised some of these were not taken to Topeka. No facility can handle 6 people and do it well. That is overloading and extremely difficult to give good patient care.

lawrencechick 5 years ago

The learning curve in this town is painfully slow. For the hundreth time you don't send someone who was in a 70mph rollover to a hospital that isn't a Level 1 trauma center. Yes, that means trauma surgeons and neurosurgeons available 24/7. Not only could LMH not afford them, they would be very bored physicians. They get to see probably 8-10 trauma patients a night at KUMC, one a week at LMH is not going to cut it.

Jake Esau 5 years ago

It might also be worth keeping in mind that from that particular spot, Overland Park Regional is probably about as far away time wise as LMH (in fact according to Google Maps it is only a 2 minute difference).

Lance Cheney 5 years ago

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the article said they were heading west. My guess is they were (KU students, obviously) at the basketball game at the Sprint Center, then went out to the bars in KC afterwards, and were heading back to Lawrence. Bad deal, really.

werekoala 5 years ago

man, the car shop I go to to get my oil changed, alignment done, and basic repairs done isn't equipped to fully restore a totalled antique car from scratch.

Why do they even bother having an auto repair business?

klh3 5 years ago

First of all I would like to set the record straight. My son was one of those kids in that car. The driver was not drunk or high, a deer ran out in front of them and they tried to miss it. I am so thankful for all of the firemen, police, doctors, nurses, and volunteers who helped my son and his friends. Three of the kids had their seatbelts on, they all walked away. The five that did not are still in the hospital or getting ready to be released. I can't stand it when new crew come out and post a story with names and do not have the story right.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years ago

Hi klh3--

I'm glad to hear your family member is OK. And I'm sorry if some of the information here is incorrect. We can only base our reporting on the information given to us by the Kansas Highway Patrol. If you want to help us get the right information, would you drop me an e-mail?

jkealing{at}ljworld{dot}com

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

klh3 5 years ago

I think that before you post video or stories wait to talk to family members or something. I don't know what more there is to tell. They were not at the Sprint Center, and not out drinking. They were coming home from KC, they live in Lawrence, and the deer ran out. The car rolled twice and they ended up in the east bound lanes upside down

Boeing 5 years ago

sierraclub - I think the driver's age, 19, has more to do with the than where he was from, JoCo.

klh3 5 years ago

Age has nothing to do with anything. It is easy there was a deer and he turned the wheel to miss it. The driver was 19, yes, but at least he wasn't drunk or high.

lisabeth2002 5 years ago

I wouldn't say age has nothing to do with anything. My very first question to this story is why two seventeen year olds were out at approx. 4:20am?? Since this isn't a fact you corrected Mr. Kealing on, one can only assume that it is accurate information.

klh3 5 years ago

It is true that there were two seventeen year olds in the car, but the accident happened before 4:20am. And they were heading home from KC, it is a long drive. And the fact is...all of the us parents are very happy that they are all alive and no one else got hurt. lisabeth2002, I hope that a deer never runs out in front of your car at night or day time for that matter. If it does do you know what to do?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

klh3 Posters on here can write an entire bio on someone based on one paragraph. I understand your frustration is trying to set the story straight. I also say that age has nothing to do with this accident. It is no ones business what they were doing. Accidents happen to the best drivers regardless of age.

lisabeth2002 5 years ago

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy now. I'm too am happy they are all safe, and alive. I was just stating that saying, "age has nothing to do with anything" may be a bit of an overstatement. There is no need to be so defensive towards me. I have no concern with where they were, what they were doing, or where they were going. I was simply saying that I was curious what two 17yearolds were doing out at that time. No matter where they were coming from, it doesn't change the fact that they were out at that time. Btw, I have had a deer run infront of my car. I avoided the situation by not swerving and keeping my wheels straight ahead.

klh3 5 years ago

Thank you Irish for understanding. The people that were saying that they were drunk and were at the Granada just makes so mad. Because and accident happens and it involves young people...oh they are drunk. Just keep all 8 of the people in your prayers.

klh3 5 years ago

lisabeth2002 I figured you had a deer run out in front of you. I can't answer for the other parents about the 17 years old kids being out. I am getting sick of this whole thing we have been up for a long time and have been running from hospital to hospital. Thank you for the prayers, and I hope you all stay safe and have a wonderful Holiday Season.

kusp8 5 years ago

klh3, I am friends with one of the passengers and I know the type of people that they hang out with, and it ISN't the kind that goes out to get drunk and high. I'm glad to hear most of them are okay. My prayers are with you and your family.

Tab 5 years ago

Parents....please take this opportunity to teach your children to NEVER swerve for an animal. Thank goodness the injuries were not worse to the people in the accident. There would have been less damage & injury if they would have just hit the deer.

Marknks 5 years ago

So how come so many kids were crammed into a 5 seat vehicle? Didn't any of the parents let the kids know this was illegal and absolutely dangerous? I certainly hope they take this opportunity to tell them that they should use their seatbelts and if there aren't enough seatbelts for everyone, they should take TWO vehicles. Those parents are DAMN LUCKY anybody walked away from this.

happy_go_lucky 5 years ago

@ klh2

I am sorry to tell you, but age was a factor in the accident. 5 of the people in the wreck were not wearing seatbelts, rationally and statistically the younger age group do this more often. Lack of experience and the child-like "superman" complex no doubt.

And a truely experienced driver would know not to put 8 people in a CRV, thats beyond smart.

And adjusting for a deer is one thing, but over adjusting as the driver did(causing the accident) was a clear sign of lack of experience. In the end the drivers lack of experience ended up being worse then just hitting the deer in the first place.

It is awesome the kids are ok, but don't begin to believe their age had no ramifications on the accident occuring. And the time of the accident, really not smart for them to be driving without seatbelts, with all the drunks driving between Lawrence and JC.

bearded_gnome 5 years ago

---or fatigue?

klh, please try not to react too much to posts on here. the kids really are very lucky they'r not dead in such an accident without seatbelts. healing and recovery for the kids, and may they be smarter for this near-death experience.

I love how we have crash investigation experts, trauma hospital experts (fact/reality free Merrill), and people who are beyond psychologists, they're going through life with perfect ESP and know what the teens were doing before the accident.

thadeusz? typo?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

Drivers of every age get into accidents, and yes, people in their fifties and sixties will serve to miss an animal on the highway. As far as there being so many in the car, maybe it was just one of those things that come up. I know that our family has had more passengers than was planned for the car, like when we were going to a movie and wanted to take one car. Precious is showing in Kansas City but not in Lawrence. Don't be telling other people what the curfew time should be for their children.

Marknks 5 years ago

There is absolutely NO excuse for putting more people in the car than there is seatbelts. So you are saying it is worth risking your life to see a freaking movie??? That's the problem with some of the kids, even their PARENTS can't think right!

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

Tragic Clown Car Accident Injures 8.

seriously, 8 people in a Honda?

mom_of_three 5 years ago

Kansas City to Lawrence, 8 people in a car set for 5, at 4 am (or anytime past midnight). If I was the parent of any of those under 21, I would have said NO. After other serious accident involving teenagers and cars without seatbelt, I have taught my kids to say no to the ride if there aren't seatbelts. They understand the danger. But I also know kids may not tell you everything.
I also know we survived without seatbelts, survived lot of things, and it wasn't the law then, but I know more now then I knew then, and not taking any chances with my kids.

redmorgan 5 years ago

Wow, sure hope these kids will all be ok. Hope they wear their seatbelts from now on.

klh3 5 years ago

The kids are recovering. I just love how everyone loves to point the finger at someone else. But what happens when it is your child? And everyone is stating that it is the parents fault, but if I remember correctly that we were all 17 at one time. And don't tell me that you followed all the rules all the time. I'm not saying that they are old enough to be out, but this ONE time they were they get hurt. I do feel bad for the parents that you are writing about who's children were under 17 in that car. I know them and they are good kind people and I'm sure this hurts them to read it. So be considerate of what you write.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

This is to the parents of all those children. Just know that you are good people, and good parents, and don't beat yourself up over what has happened and can't be changed. Live in the present and go on from here. Wrap yourselves in the love and warmth of your family because you still have them, and leave the bickering and divisiveness outside.

mom_of_three 5 years ago

"I know them and they are good kind people and I'm sure this hurts them to read it. So be considerate of what you write."

Sometimes the truth hurts.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years ago

I remember driving home from Manhattan after a high school football game. I lived in Wichita, and my buddy screwed around... well, anyway, we didn't get home until around 3:00. If "something" had happened (like a deer on the road), I might have had an accident.

Really, that could be any of us.

imhenrythe8thiam 5 years ago

Actually, by the grace of God of course and probably being in a CR-V was most likely a good thing. The CR-V has one of the highest safety ratings. The 99 in fact got 5 stars for frontal passenger impact at 40 mph and 4 stars for driver impact at 40 mph. Side impact both front and rear recevied 5 stars as well, they did not list a result for rollover other than saying it was not tested.
I am glad the kids are ok. Hope they dont play 'clown car' again.

gccs14r 5 years ago

One of my sisters and I were ejected from a car back in the 60s. I was three, she was seven. We were lucky that the wreck was on a residential street and not on the highway, or the result might have been tragic, instead of just bumpy. The car didn't have seatbelts. That was the last car we had that didn't have them, and it was the last time I didn't use one.

Kris_H 5 years ago

In general, I don't think there's anything wrong in saying to whoever might be hearing it, "Please don't put more people in a car than there are seat belts, and buckle up." Maybe the family and/or friends of these lucky young people will learn something that might save their lives someday.

Yes, thanks be nobody is dead; it could have easily been a tragedy instead of a learning experience.

KEITHMILES05 5 years ago

Why should anybody care what is printed here even if you are a parent of one of those injured? Quite frankly I find it in bad taste that anybody involved in this accident or others are reading what is printed here. Actually, I call their bluff they are even related. You have better things to do than blog on this topic.

Again, I find it shocking they took 5 to OPRMC instead of splitting them up between other hospitals. This so overloads hospitals. Very perplexing.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years ago

I tried to bring compassion and understand to this and apparently have failed miserably. All of you should be ashamed for seeing this as an opportunity to lecture and hector.

mistygreen 5 years ago

I live in Eudora and I have no trouble believing that a deer caused this accident. While the outcome could of been very tragic, I'm thankful for no fatalities. I wish a speedy recover to those that were injured. What is unacceptable is the 8 people in a vehicle not built for 8 passengers. You have too many passengers and not enough seatbelts, even if they were all in use. Those kids are extremely lucky, and I hope they and their friends have learned a valuable lesson. There are not many second chances or do-overs in life.

happy_go_lucky 5 years ago

Actually according to a recently released report, ALCOHOL was a contributing factor to the accident.

Marknks 5 years ago

What? TELL ME IT ISN'T SO!!! Well, what is klh3 going to say? Probably that there had really been 9 people, nobody in the car knew the 9th person which happened to be the driver, and they ran off after the accident, and the one the KHP THINK was driving, really accidentally fell INTO the driver's seat by accident.. That he really wasn't driving. That sound about right? Let's see if the tree hugging parents can come up with a better story than mine. :)

somebodynew 5 years ago

@Marknks - They tried. It is on the other story. And it makes soooo much sense - he was too young to be drinking. Why didn't we all see that??????

Marknks 5 years ago

Just unheard of, somebodynew, unheard of. But the driver was not old enough to legally drink!!! Oh wait, "legally" is the operative word there, isn't it.