Archive for Sunday, December 13, 2009

100 years ago: Local herds to be inspected for tuberculosis

December 13, 2009


From the Lawrence Daily World for Dec. 13, 1909: A cow that came from a local dairy farm has been found to have tuberculosis. Local herds are to be inspected and the cow may have to be destroyed even though it recently gave birth to a calf. . . . C.D. McCoy of North Lawrence fell on the ice yesterday and has been confined to his bed with some degree of paralysis. Doctors say his injury is “very serious”. . . . A local woman at 1212 N.Y. apparently caught her clothes on fire while near a stove at her home and was burned to death. Observers said they never had seen such a gruesome sight. . . . Local sportsmen have been meeting to form a game protective club to make better use of our resources. . . . To prevent the escape of students from the chemistry rooms of the university after roll call the professors in the department have started locking the doors. This is aimed at those who slyly answer their names during roll call and then sneak out. However, there seems to be a law against locking doors at education sites, due to fire dangers, and the local policy is almost be sure to be ended.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.