Archive for Saturday, December 12, 2009

Harbaugh says his future remains at Stanford

Rejects rumors that he was to be Kansas’ next football coach

Stanford head coach Jim Harbaugh

Stanford head coach Jim Harbaugh

December 12, 2009

— Jim Harbaugh wants to put an end to rumors linking him to other jobs, saying he will remain Stanford's football coach.

Athletic director Bob Bowlsby said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Saturday that Harbaugh signed a long-awaited three-year contract extension through the 2014 season "a while ago."

Last month, Bowlsby and Harbaugh said the deal was close to being announced. The lack of a formal announcement helped fuel rumors this week linking Harbaugh to openings at Notre Dame and Kansas.

Television and radio reports in the Kansas City area said Harbaugh could accept the opening at Kansas to replace Mark Mangino as early as Saturday night. Harbaugh was in New York on Saturday to support his star running back Toby Gerhart at the Heisman Trophy ceremony.

"Though the rumor mill has been running full gear, my resolve and future proudly remains as head coach at Stanford University," Harbaugh said in a statement issued Saturday. "The reports of the last 24 hours are untrue, though I respect the University of Kansas and athletic director Lew Perkins.

"I trust this puts an end to these rumors and reports, allowing the focus of fans and the media to shine a bright spotlight on Toby Gerhart today. I love Toby and our players and coaches at Stanford, and as Toby told reporters, I am a Stanford man."

Harbaugh has overseen a remarkable turnaround in his three years at Stanford. He arrived following the 2006 season, taking over a one-win team from Walt Harris that struggled to compete in the Pac-10.

But Harbaugh led the Cardinal to upsets of Southern California and rival California in his first season, fell one win shy of a bowl bid his second year before finally breaking through this season.

Led by Gerhart and redshirt freshman quarterback Andrew Luck, the Cardinal had their best season in years. They beat Oregon and USC in consecutive weeks to move into the AP poll for the first time since 2001, stayed in contention for a Pac-10 title until late in the season, and earned their bowl bid in eight years.

No. 19 Stanford (8-4) will face Oklahoma (7-5) in the Sun Bowl on Dec. 31. Even though Gerhart is expected to enter the NFL draft, Harbaugh will still have Luck and strong recruiting classes to build around.

Comments

nova 5 years, 8 months ago

Lew, feel free to head back east anytime.

Mike Cohen 5 years, 8 months ago

Isn't it funny how much information 'leaked' out of Lew Perkins office when he was trying to get rid of Mangino? Now the place is shut tighter than Fort Knox. Come on Lew, get a deal done while we can still say we have an incoming recruiting class.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 8 months ago

I guess that means I'm still in the running.

Woo Hoo!!

However, I think that Lew's failure to begin negotiations with me means that I need to take a different approach.

I'm thinking that maybe a "hard-to-get" approach may work better. So I'm raising my salary demands to $400,000 a year, plus $150,000 for my entourage. Plus a Crimson and Blue Prius (used but low-mileage would be OK.) And my own personal, reserved bike rack-- I don't want to have to get tough with parking attendants.

Graczyk 5 years, 8 months ago

A swing and a miss. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

50YearResident 5 years, 8 months ago

One thing Lew can take credit for. He is raising the salary of every coach he is considering offers to by a substantial amount.

randysavage 5 years, 8 months ago

Hire Edsall or Sumlin and get it over with....

Although Harbaugh would be the ideal choice, imo.

Kevin Randell 5 years, 8 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus

That is funny!!!! Dude, we need some humor right now. Keep it up!

Jerry Cross 5 years, 8 months ago

Enough already. What do you need Lew. All you are doing is throwing away next season. You have already lost one commitment. How many more are you going to waste because of your ego.

Kevin Sontag 5 years, 8 months ago

Tommy. Tuberville.

Why is this taking so long.

gsxr600 5 years, 8 months ago

This is taking way too long. Lew knew when he was getting rid of Mangino. A good AD has someone in line before the current leaves.

Richard Payton 5 years, 8 months ago

610 Sports needs to check their sources before announcing Harbaugh as the next Kansas head coach. The radio said he was flying in Sunday to ink a 2.7 million dollar contract. Not certain which television stations contributed to the rumors.

CLARKKENT 5 years, 8 months ago

WAY TO GO LEW.

IS MANGINO STILL AVAILABLE???????????

Matthew Herbert 5 years, 8 months ago

rtpayton- Lets be careful assuming 610 was wrong. Remember Roy Williams saying he was staying in Kansas right before he, well, didn't. Also, if I'm coaching Stanford in an upcoming bowl game and want my kids motivated to win, I'm NOT going to hit the press and say "oh, and I'm leaving to go to KU". Also, lets keep in mind that his BEST player (probably the best player Stanford will have for a long time or has seen in a long time) is leaving at the end of the season. Not a bad time to get out.....610 may have been wrong, but I'm not buying that Harbaugh is 100% committed to Stanford.

boomer1110 5 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone remember a year ago when TCU's Gary Patterson was "locked up" to be K-State's next head coach? Powercat.com was all over it; Kietzman was talking about it on WHB 810 sports? Folks were dancing in Aggeville. One problem...word got out before the deal was done. Doesn't this seem very similar? Internet sites, all the sports affiliates were claiming this was a done deal...so much for done deals...we'll see who's next! Good luck, Lew. Let's wrap it up!