Archive for Saturday, December 12, 2009

Turner Gill expected to take over as Kansas football coach

Two of three pundits have chosen Kansas and coach Turner Gill, pictured here coaching Buffalo, to take fourth in the north.

December 12, 2009, 4:45 p.m. Updated December 12, 2009, 11:54 p.m.

Kansas Head Football Coach Turner Gill

Turner Gill was named the head coach of the Kansas football team Sunday, December 15, 2009.

YouTube

Turner Gill - Speechless after MAC Championship 2008

YouTube

Turner Gill's 40-yard run vs. Oklahoma in 1983

YouTube

Turner Gill stays in Buffalo

Reader poll
KU has offered Turner Gill the head football coaching job. Would this be a good hire for the Jayhawks?

or See the results without voting

Lew Perkins’ search for a head football coach spanned nine days, at least two cities and included conversations with at least six coaches from four conferences.

In the end, however, the Kansas University athletic director chose the man with whom he first spoke.

Turner Gill, head coach at Buffalo and reportedly the first coach interviewed in the days following Mark Mangino’s resignation, is expected to be named head coach at KU on Monday, the Journal-World has learned.

The news puts to rest a nine-day search in which rumors and speculation have been rampant, various incorrect developments were reported and Perkins and his staff remained impressively quiet.

It also comes as a relief to Kansas’ current players, who have attempted to go about their usual business while awaiting news of the program’s fate.

Reached Saturday by the Journal-World, several current and former players expressed excitement at the prospect of starting over under a coach seemingly held in high regard by his players at Buffalo.

“I hear that he’s a great motivator, and he’s definitely a players’ coach who (includes) his players’ thoughts in all his decisions,” said freshman running back Toben Opurum, arguably the Jayhawks’ top returning offensive player. “He’s really going to be somebody that’s going to be able to bring some charisma and enthusiasm into the program.”

Added freshman receiver Erick McGriff, “I’ve always been a fan of coach Gill. I’ve seen him at Buffalo. He’s over there winning championships. I’m just excited. We’re all excited, and we can’t wait to get back on the field and start playing again.”

Buffalo turnaround

In four years at Buffalo, Gill’s teams went 20-30, though that record might be a bit misleading given the nature of the program before Gill arrived.

In 2008, he led the team to an 8-6 record and its first bowl berth in 50 years. Following the season, he was named a finalist for the Bear Bryant College Football Coach of the Year Award and was a finalist for the opening at Auburn that eventually went to Gene Chizik.

And unlike Kansas’ former coach — whose quick temper resulted in a number of public incidents and quite possibly led to his messy divorce from the university — calmness seems to be Gill’s M.O.

“Turner is a first-class person,” said Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne, who coached Gill, a 1983 Heisman finalist, with the Huskers. “He’s a guy that will always represent Kansas well. He’ll never embarrass that program. He’s totally honest, he’ll treat players well, and he’s just a good football man.”

Strong recruiter

Perhaps Gill’s most immediate impact at Kansas will come in the form of recruiting.

As uncertainty has swirled over the past two weeks, the program’s remaining coaches — defensive coordinator Clint Bowen, receivers coach David Beaty and linebackers coach/co-defensive coordinator Bill Miller — have attempted to keep the program’s 2010 recruiting class intact.

For the most part, they seem to have done so, losing only one recruit (quarterback Jacoby Walker, who switched his commitment to Utah and plans to enroll there for the spring semester) since Mangino’s resignation.

With a head coach now in place, however, things figure to grow infinitely easier from that standpoint.

Gill, a native of Fort Worth, Texas, has a developed a fine reputation as a recruiter in his home state. Buffalo’s current roster currently includes 11 players from the state, and Texas is where Gill spent much of his time recruiting while an assistant at Nebraska for more than a decade.

“I think it definitely provides some stability,” Opurum said. “Now that we have the hire, we have the ability to get some more recruits, some different recruits, be able to keep some of our guys. It’s kind of hard to sign somewhere when you don’t have a coach.”

Picking up the pieces

Immediately, Gill, one of only 11 black head coaches in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Div. I-A), will be charged with picking up the pieces after an ugly series of events left the Kansas program with a tarnished image.

Last month, the school launched an internal investigation into the actions of Mangino, a move that seemed to polarize the public and former players. Various former players stepped forward with allegations of physical and verbal abuse, while others described Mangino as nothing more than a stern disciplinarian.

The result was negative national exposure and Mangino’s eventual ouster, which came after Perkins and the coach agreed to an undisclosed settlement on Dec. 3.

As word of Gill’s arrival coursed through the Kansas football grapevine Saturday, however, attention seemed to be pointed toward the future.

That includes the attention of beloved former KU coach Don Fambrough, who spoke excitedly of the program’s potential when reached Saturday evening.

As a habit, Fambrough likes to get to know the various Jayhawks’ coaches upon their arrival, but in this case — having been on the wrong end of a couple of Gill’s masterpiece collegiate performances — no introduction will be necessary.

“I don’t know what kind of coach he might be, because I haven’t been around him when he’s coaching,” Fambrough said. “But if he can coach like he played, we’ll be world-beaters, I’ll tell you that.”

According to published reports Saturday night, Gill will bring a couple of former head coaches along as assistants: Carl Torbush, former head coach at North Carolina and currently the defensive coordinator at Mississippi State, and Chuck Long, formerly the head coach at San Diego State and a former Oklahoma assistant.

Comments

Steve Jacob 5 years, 5 months ago

That's the best Kansas can do? Wow! I know he's a good guy, but so was Terry Allen. Terry Allen has about the same qualifications as Turner Gill did when he came to Kansas.

gsxr600 5 years, 5 months ago

We shall see. Regardless, it's about damn time to fill the vacancy.

Markstaff 5 years, 5 months ago

Nothing against Turner Gill, but he didn't win at Buffalo. And he's supposed to win at KU in the Big 12? Maybe so, but that doesn't really make sense. The ultra religious Gill will be a radical change. Maybe he is the best KU can do. Who wants to work for Lew anyway?

Graczyk 5 years, 5 months ago

This is a good move. I think Gill will be able to rehabilitate both the play and the image of the program. If this is true, then I am happy for him and KU.

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 5 months ago

Jeez lew! A 20-30 coach is the best you can do? Guess we are still a basketball school...

BobtheBuilder 5 years, 5 months ago

jj14 5 years, 5 months ago

GREAT NEWS!!! I hope this is true and all the speculation can finally come to an end. Welcome Gill!!

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 5 months ago

yeah, welcome. we were 5-7 too. you know gill, we just fired a 5-7 coach. this sounds like a great deal...

ku_tailg8 5 years, 5 months ago

I like the hire. So what about his career winning %. Good teams don't fire their coaches and coaches have to take jobs at crummy schools to build a resume. Good luck to Coach Gill. Every coaching situation can't be like Coach Williams rolling into Lawrence and winning from the get-go.

50nash 5 years, 5 months ago

KU will be lucky to have Gill. Those who think he's not a big enough name have an absurdly inflated sense of KU football's prominence. The 2007 "break out" season was a fluke. KU played the weakest conference schedule in recent memory, failed to even make the Big 12 championship game, and snagged an Orange Bowl bid Missouri clearly deserved. KU's program will continue to improve under Gill, but the thought that we can do better show's an embarassing lack of perspective on the program.

redbull38 5 years, 5 months ago

All he did at Buffalo is win a Mac Championship. I mean great players are lined up trying to play football at Buffalo and that is all he accomplished. Look at all the game Buffalo won before he took over. I bet they are happy to get rid of him.

wunk787 5 years, 5 months ago

A very good selection of an outstanding & natural born leader. He took over a very weak Buffalo team & inspiired the kids to win in 2008....Turner is an effective leader, a good motivator, & outstadning with players. He can recruit & should be effective in Texas....a good pick & Good Luck Turner....I'm Red at Heart, & now KU has picked up a new fan.

50nash,

Are you suggesting that the one Orange Bowl is not enough to make KU is a big time football program? I'm shocked.

Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

You have got to be kidding me Lew. What a ridiculous decision! You have a coach lobbying for the job (Tommy Tuberville) who won just short of 70% of his games in the ACC (over at least a ten year span), including a year in which Auburn went undefeated and you totally ignore the guy and offer the job to Gill. Gill's had one winning season at Buffalo. AT BUFFALO....GEEZZZZ! What the $%%^##Q@#$% are you thinking? Tuberville or Harbaugh would have been exciting. I don't believe that Gill, the Houston coach, the CONN coach, or even Skip Holtz would excite a majority of the fan base.

LOTS of money has poured into the KU athletic department to improve salaries as well as create facilities that rank in the top 25 in the country. This was done to make the program and university attractive to BIG name coaches. I'm sure Gill is a class act and great guy but he hasn't proven himself yet. Tuberville has done so in the SEC. As a lifetime Jayhawker, I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and Turner Gill is able to take it to the next level. I hope I regret it a few years down the line but I can OFFICIAL say that I am NOT renewing my season tickets.

sbdad 5 years, 5 months ago

Nice guy, bad choice. But we will support him.

Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

sbdad....I hate to a pessimist but over the years, I've seen too many bad hires in football at KU. You're right though, we do need to support Gill and I'm sure I will after my Crimson and Blue blood stops boiling. :)

Graczyk 5 years, 5 months ago

Larry, Why don't you wait to see if Gill proves to be a failure before going nuclear with the situation? As I've said elsewhere, the one thing that you can trust Perkins to do is to protect his self-interest. With the Gridiron Club and Perkins' reputation as an effective AD both being on the line, don't you think he chose the person he thought would guarantee his prosperity?

freshmaker 5 years, 5 months ago

he will have a great impact on what kind of players will want to come to kansas...players who believe in a system and are discipline are the kind we need..those players are the ones who win. not the ones who question authority and whine about things. i look forward to mr. gill actually taking command of this group( not just thinking he has control) and showing what he can do with a different tier of talent. those that argue his record dont realize that no team in the nation is going to win without their key players. I believe buffalo would have had another great season had they avoided injuries. if reesing goes down, you have pick and meier to plug in(talented). gill had no such option. lewey p. got a guy that the fanbase may not go crazy for but those players will be pumped.

shepdog 5 years, 5 months ago

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire. The job has not been offered to anyone??? Oh thats right its been 24 hours!!! I know Roy Williams and he's no Roy Williams!!! Guess we'll spend a few mill to find out!!!

Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

Graczyk.....I hope your right. I love this university but am tired of the repeated bad hires in football. Maybe the press conference will change my mind. I sure hope Perkins provides some insight as to why Gill is the best hire.

Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

also, I think it is fair to assume that Lew is near retirement and doesn't have to worry about his prosperity.

Douglas Garst 5 years, 5 months ago

Heads up Turner Gill...you will be judged, depending on your salary, by none other than Mr. Dolph C. Simons Jr. If you make over $100,000 per year Mr. Simons will write that you are over paid...of course on the other hand Mr. Simons may refrain from commenting about your salary and not open himself to racism. What say you Mr. Simons, is $100,000 to much for Mr. Gill?

moveforward 5 years, 5 months ago

ok... cross my fingers and close my eyes... and hope really hard that this is a roy williams sort of story ahead of us... it's such a long shot though.

John Gibson 5 years, 5 months ago

I guess Lew 'keep spending KU's money' had his plan work out just like he wanted it to. Create a controversy to fire a coach he did not hire or like (10 whiners for a coach that worked with probably close to 800 kids), hire Gill's daughter in the Williams Fund department, then hire a friend of his. Sounds like great credentials to coach in the Big 12 to me. I too hope I am wrong in thinking KU could have done better in hiring their new coach. There is no choice now but to hope Gill proves us all wrong and creates an ongoing winning program at KU.
For those that say Lew has done great things for KU with his spending. How much of that spending has been for the common fan that doesn't have the extra money to toss around. I still wonder what happened to the parking garage that was supposedly a part of the last building project.
Good luck to Gill in this new endeavor.

swanpt 5 years, 5 months ago

As a dedicated KU alum, I have to say that this decision is an embarrassment for the University. Coaches prove themselves by winning, and there are a lot of young WINNING coaches out there. Turner Gill is not one of them. His record deserves little respect, let alone this coaching position.

Mangino had a lot of problems (and it's probably right that he's gone), but like it or not, he positioned the program for better things. With this truly bad choice, the promise of better things for the KU football program are out the window.

If KU if paying Gill more than $500,000/year, it's getting ripped off.

mitch 5 years, 5 months ago

I say give Gill a chance by supporting him 100%. That, combined with the improved football facilities, will give him the best chance of recruiting top tier athletes to the KU football program. That will give him the best chance for success. Griping endlessly about the choice will merely lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy of defeatism. I say set reasonable and improving expectations each year, taking into account strength of schedule and not merely focusing on a win-loss record. Maintain high standards for discipline and respect by players for one another, reward natural leaders on the team, and instill respect for coaches and fans alike. Don't expect immediate miracles. Loyalty, hard work, and mutual respect will attract higher caliber players that will bring honor to KU that cannot be measured in purely wins & losses. Over time, the wins will come.

Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

Tommy Tubeville in the SEC, not ACC. Sorry.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Markstaff (Anonymous) says…

"Who wants to work for Lew anyway?"

Apparently Bill Self.

And before that Hall-of-Fame members Jim Calhoun & Geno Auriemma at UConn.

Gary WIlliams at Maryland.

Of course that's just off the top of my head.

msmollie (Anonymous) says…

"For those that say Lew has done great things for KU with his spending. How much of that spending has been for the common fan that doesn't have the extra money to toss around."

Um - so - he's supposed to raise money from people that don't have money? Maybe the people he raised the money from deserve to have the money spent on them.

kdme 5 years, 5 months ago

oh naysayers! Though your point of view is appreciated,respected, and entitled ---it will eventually come to pass as an unfortunate and negative perspective. I have NO DOUBT that in a few short years,both Turner Gill and Lew Perkins will be the heralded heroes of the University and the state of Kansas,

irvan moore 5 years, 5 months ago

uuuh, did no one tell them that Tuberville was available?

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

Gill had a step up on everyone else interviewed because he has vast experience in the Big !2 and all the recruiting bases. Tuberville was intriguing, but seemed an odd fit. And it similarly seems odd to say this, but Harbaugh kinda feels bigger than the program. I believe he wouldn't have been around longer than a year or two, and that kinda hire is worthless. He'll run a clean program, he's a phenomenal recruiter, he already has relationships with coaches and schools in all the conference states, especially in Texas and particularly Dallas, which is where he grew up and where KU gets a good number of their players. He's a high character guy and his faith will only be an asset in living rooms. He's been interviewing for jobs with programs like Nebraska and Auburn, so it was only a matter of time before he got a shot since he's so highly regarded.

His was the first name I thought of when the job came open. I prefer him to all the other names mentioned. The downside I foresee is how sought after he could be in 3 or 4 years.

grammaddy 5 years, 5 months ago

Where's Irish??? We called this one last week.

angryAL 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey Turner Gill, Just make sure you don't poke anyone in the chest or your stay may be a short one. A bunch of whiners and criers at KU were the undoing of the previous coach!!

redbull38 5 years, 5 months ago

Bet Gill would have won more at Buffalo if he had just burnt a players hand and threatened to do it again. Hopefully he can learn how quickly.

BigPrune 5 years, 5 months ago

If anyone on here criticized Turner Gill, consider yourself a racist.

Gill has won 4 Orange Bowls, KU 1

Gill won 3 B12 North Champoinship. KU 0

Gill won 2 B12 Championship. KU 0

Gill won 3 National Championship. KU 0

Your right, this Gill guy sucks. What in the heck does he know about winning?

baceman 5 years, 5 months ago

Pleasssssse tell me this is a bad joke. What the %#*^~ happened to Harbaugh? Gil is abt a #5 pick. Can I get a refund for all my priority points please??? Harbaugh or Tubberville would have sold seats bottom line. Good luck now. I cannot believe the big spending alumni are ok with this. Students, I hope you are making your picket signs as we speak. Picket Lew's house now!!!!!

slowplay 5 years, 5 months ago

LOL. What a bunch of whiners. Gill or Harbaugh would be a major improvement.

redbull38 5 years, 5 months ago

Gill has been to the top of the college football as both a player and a coach.

Gill is a winner. KU football is not.

Graczyk 5 years, 5 months ago

Drop your weapon and climb down the Campanile. We can get through this together.

TLR 5 years, 5 months ago

WOW! Totally not what I expected. Guess the Hawks are at the bottom of the barrel again.

Trusted Lew on this but think he missed.

Bottom line he a blanking Husker.

Good players don't always translate into good coaches.

Me thinks we will be in the same boat in 4 years.

greenworld 5 years, 5 months ago

According to his resume he was a 20-0 heisman quarterback at Nebraska. Maybe Lew's idea is to hire him as a coach and then somehow decoy the other teams and suit him up as our qb. HAHA

parhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Three and out, maybe two. I wonder what a KU Football season ticket will be worth in 4 years or so.

hesshawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Turner Gill No NO NOOOOOOO

has become

Turner Gill Oh No

How much is Uncle Fester going to pay a 20-30 coach who has had 1 winning season for a mid-major (barely) conference ? In Unc's mind that ought to be worth, oh I don't know, maybe around, ummmm $1.5 million, and he can take the other $800 Grrr he saved and start an ad campaign to convince us all he knows what he's doing.

I can not frickin believe it

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 5 years, 5 months ago

Why would you pick a flash in the pan coach with a losing record when you have a consistent winner in a hot conference ready to coach here? Perkins, you're an idiot.

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

You guys make me sick!!! You just scored a coach who did nothing but win as a player, win as an assistant and took a HORRID Buffalo Team who had won 8 games the previous 5 years before Gill and 0 games the year before in their first season in the FBS. That is 8 wins yes only 8 in 6 years in the FBS! All Gill did was win 20 games in 4 years AND a MAC championship! Has to be the worst hire ever...... Come on people this is a guy who was mentored by one of the legends of college football. If you think for a second that a whole bunch of Tom Osborne's ways didn't rub off on him, you are off your rocker. Gill is out of the same mold as T.O. hell, T.O. was Gills best man when he got married! What you so called fans are about to see is a program that will be run with CLASS and WILL WIN football games! My suggestion to you is to try and exhibit a tenth of the class that the man who is heading your way has! If you do that Turner will bring you the rest of the way and one day you will be able to that you are champions in a sport other than one played with a round ball. Welcome to Lawrence Turner Gill, you have me proud almost my entire life and continue to do so! I know you will do great things at Kansas! Stay classy L-town

Sincerely, Husker fan in Lawrence

ubiquitin87----

Gills was a coach for all those championships. He has the hardware on his fingers just like the head man does.... Do some research guys you might find out somthing you didn't know about him. Like the fact that he has done nothing but WIN!

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

Maybe some of those coaches didn't want to play for Lew. Look how he treated Mangino.

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

So who all here is gonna come back and eat crow when Gill proves you wrong? Or will you all just run your mouths and then jump on the bandwagon when he wins next year? I will say it right now, next years team will have a winning record and be in a bowl game with a lot less tallent than it had this year! Write it down, take a picture IDGAF!!!!

Markstaff 5 years, 5 months ago

A Husker fan thinks Gill is a great hire for KU. Well that's just great. I feel so much better now. Real nice. If Gill is hired the best of luck to him. Rock Chalk.

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

I think he is a great hire for any team! KU is lucky to have him! And Jayhawk nation just grew by oh only about 2 million people!

op43 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow I can't believe we were able to find a coach who has a 40% winning percentage! Way to hit the bushes Lew! I felt this was coming when Mangino was being investigated.

Let's be honest KU. An inside job on Mangino, a daughter at KU, the first black chancellor and now the first black coach at KU. We have become the Cal-Berkley of the Midwest.

I hope he wins for KU. There were certainly better candidate resumes out there. Today I don’t think we upgraded from Mangino. Let’s hope Men’s Basketball can meet most expectations this year!

Graczyk 5 years, 5 months ago

What does his race have to do with it? Don't be a moron. Kansas - as bigoted as you think.

Rickyonealku 5 years, 5 months ago

Works for me...Rock Chalk Jayhawks... now call Nolan Cromwell to run your offence Coach Gill...

op43 5 years, 5 months ago

Graczyk: I you don't know what race has to do with it you don't know the inside to KU. I've been there

hesshawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey Blackshirt_retreivers I'll admit if I am wrong and he makes a go of it. But there is nothing in his coaching history that says he's ready to be the Head Coach for a Big 12 team. A .400 record in the MAC isn't enough.

Rock Chalk

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

OK what was mangino's record as a head coach before KU?

People Buffalo won 8 games in the 6 years prior to Gill all he did was win 20 in 4 years I say that counts for somthing....

And brother any head coach will tell you he doesn't make call all the time....

And BTW Gill did coach a heisman winner at NU.... I would guess from that he can't coach a lick..... My bad.

redbull38 5 years, 5 months ago

You are right. Gill has not really won much of anything as a head coach. KU football has not really won much of anything. Sounds like a good fit.

Gill has a ton of experience in a winning football program. Gill is a leader. Gill is a man of great character.

Mangino is an abusive bastard who sealed his own fate and lost his last 7 games.

KU fans wanted a wow hire and this is not it. Still Gill will be a very good head coach.

5 years, 5 months ago

99% of you need to get a life! If you can do the job apply for it!

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

What's really funny in this whole thing is you guys think your blood is boiling now..... What happens if in 5 years Bo bolts for OSU and KU is battling for the north year in and year out with Gill? You guys are gonna be ready to Lynch some cornhuskers when they take him back from ya! Appreciate what you have while you have it! He's a helluva coach and I promise you he will be the first call if Bo ever moves on, and he will take the job at NU!

jmatthews5 5 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe the fools on here who are giving Gill crap about his win/loss %. He was coaching at BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, BUFFALO!!!!!!!!! Probably one of the worst places to recruit to and no program history to speak of. Yet, he won the conference and went to a bowl. Everbody was bursting with excitement because we might get Harbaugh. He's a couple games over .500 at a school that is not BUFFALO!!!!!! Mangino was slightly over .500 at a school that is not BUFFALO!!!!! I repeat, Turner Gill was able to turn around the BUFFALO program. Get a clue, people.

op43 5 years, 5 months ago

Blackshirt: Who gets the credit? The head coach or assistants. Gill wasn't the head coach at Nebraska during that Heisman.

5 wins a season is a good resume? If he is 20-30 at Kansas after four years will you still feel the same? Ithink right now with KS hiring Gill, that some coleges have to believe that Mangino should be a steal given his record and the mess he had to clean up.... and he did it against Big 12 competition (sometimes).

Redbull if I didn't know better I would think you are a Tiger fan. Not for sure there is a lot of correlation between playing in a winning program and winning as a coach. If there was we'd have a lot more former players coaching that we do today.

Jcc: I have a life. It's now about applying but being in the profession of the job. This isn't your regular type of hiring process you moron.

teacher4ku 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm guessing most of the negative posts responding to Gill's hiring are from those die hard fans who leave games after the first and second quarters. If you want a good football team, support them... for the whole game!

Well said Teacher!!!

op43- No I would not feel the same with that record at KU. as jmatthews said BUFFALO!!!! My point is you have to look at the body of work. 8 wins in 6 years pre gill, with gill 20-30 in 4 years. I'm not real good at math but that my friend is a helluva job! He had very little D1 talent because lets face it, who wants to go play football at a place where the claim to fame is... wait for it.... The most snowfall annually in the U.S. LOL try to get kids from FL. CA. or TX. to go there.....

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

Too many idiots on here.

Gill took a program that was regarded the worst in all of D1 and won his conference title in three years. He took the worst of the worst and won a championship. That's something, right? I mean compared toooo.....oh, I don't know.............

Mangino's head coaching record before coming to KU was 0-0. Roy Williams' head coaching record before coming to KU was 0-0. Gene Chizik's record at Iowa State was 5-19 in two years at ISU. What was his record this year at Auburn? Bob Stoops' head coaching record before going to OU was 0-0. Dean Smith's head coaching record before getting the job at UNC was 0-0.

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

Well I'm tired of listening to whiney football fans who wouldn't know a good coach if he kicked em in the arse!

GO BIG RED!!!!! GO BIG TURNER GILL!!!!!!

lama 5 years, 5 months ago

Great hire. If he brings Carl Torbush (former North Carolina head coach and Mack Brown's defensive coordinator) as defensive coordinator and Chuck Long as offensive coordinator (as is reported elsewhere), it's a tremendous hire. And a huge upgrade over Mangino's staff.

Gill will represent KU well.

redbull38 5 years, 5 months ago

"Gill will bring with him Carl Torbush, formerly the head coach at North Carolina and currently the defensive coordinator at Mississippi State, to be his defensive coordinator and Chuck Long, formerly the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma and formerly the head coach at San Diego State, to be his offensive coordinator. Gill is also expected to bring two other former head coaches onto his staff at Kansas."

Jeff Kilgore 5 years, 5 months ago

A few predictions:

First of all, I like the hire. Buffalo is a tough job.

Secondly, I'll bet that we see a major upgrade in recruiting. If Gill can recruit to Buffalo and he has kept his Texas ties, we'll do okay.

Third, I like the support that Huskers are giving their guy. They've seen that he can lead on the field and behind the lines.

Fourth, what was Mgo's record against the South 4-30? Can Gill do any worse? Probably not.

Fifth, what place did we take in the incredibly tough north this year?

Finally, since we play in the North. What are you all worried about?

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

"...and snagged an Orange Bowl bid Missouri clearly deserved." And then KU promptly went to that game and won it, so let's get off the didn't deserve it wagon.

"Yet, he won the conference and went to a bowl." Yes, because Buffalo played in the weaker division of the MAC. They would've finished tied for 4th in the other division. They then went on to beat a Ball State team by having only ONE offensive scoring drive over 30 yards in a game in which they scored 42 points. And they lost that bowl game to UCONN by 18 points.

"Everbody was bursting with excitement because we might get Harbaugh. He's a couple games over .500 at a school that is not buffalo!!!!!! " First, I will help you make your point. Harbaugh is two games UNDER .500 at Stanford (17-19), not over. Now, are you really going to compare the competition in the Pac-10 to the MAC? Harbaugh had a 29-6 record coaching at U. of San Diego, which is a "I-AA" football school. He had two 11-1 seasons. All this info and I'm not even terribly interested in seeing Harbaugh coach at KU.

"Turner Gill was able to turn around the buffalo program" One 8-6 season is a turnaround when followed by a 5-7 season? Three of their victories were in overtime. The claim to fame that Gill has is that of a "fierce recruiter." The quarterback and running back that led him to that 8 win season were not recruited by Gill.

"People Buffalo won 8 games in the 6 years prior" Those were their first 6 years in Division I-A and they actually won 10 games in the 6 years prior to Gill's arrival; they won 8 games in the 5 years prior. They were Division I-AA for 7 years before that, Division III for 16 years before that and for the 7 years before that, their football program had been suspended. The coaches they had were 1) the guy who was coaching them as a I-AA team before the transition to I-A and 2) a guy with a 45-35 record at Cornell.

I hope he does well. If he does well at KU, it will not be clearly evidenced by his previous body of work. I think KU settled, but settling doesn't mean he has to be or will be a failure. If and when (if not already) he is named the coach, we should support him and hope for the best. I know that is what I will do. I'm just setting my expectations low and will use the Glen Mason years as a bar.

redbull38 5 years, 5 months ago

"He recruited the area when he coached Nebraska, and 11 players from Texas are on the current Buffalo roster."

redbull38 5 years, 5 months ago

Harbaugh the "home run" hire. 17-19 at Stanford. Wow. 47% winning percentage. That is way better than 40%. Clearly he would be worth 2.7 million a year.

riverdrifter 5 years, 5 months ago

Well (takes long sip of whisky), 4 years from now we'll know how this is gonna turn out. Sorry to state the obvious. In the mean time: offensive coordinator from Texas, defensive coordinator from Texas. Ya just plain gotta hunt ducks where the ducks are.

anghe8562 5 years, 5 months ago

I can't wait to see Turner Gill coach at KU...and most of you naysayers eat crow.

maxcrabb 5 years, 5 months ago

A vast majority of you have an inflated sense of KU footballs' worth in the Big 12.

redbull38 5 years, 5 months ago

It seems odd that there is more information on this on the Lincoln Journal Star site than this one. The ball is the wrong shape to get much attention in this town.

lama 5 years, 5 months ago

The schedule next year is a lot easier, although Georgia Tech and Southern Miss (road) will be tough in the non-conference.

lama 5 years, 5 months ago

I agree that Harbaugh would have been a good hire. But how long would he have stayed? Until the first good NFL job opened...he's clearly not long for Stanford.

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

teacher4ku (Anonymous) says…

"I'm guessing most of the negative posts responding to Gill's hiring are from those die hard fans who leave games after the first and second quarters."

Close.

jmatthews5 5 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawks71-- If you think hiring Gill is "settling", you might want to re-evaluate your perception of our program. The Head Coach at freaking Houston wasn't interested.

Ubiquitin87-- If you seriously can't understand why a 20-30 record at Buffalo is pretty impressive, you don't follow college football. This isn't a lab or whatever analogy you were stumbling through. There are variables here, one of the biggest being what you have to work with. Mangino was not Coach of the Year because he won 12 games. He was Coach of the Year because he won 12 games at Kansas. Big difference

"because let's face it, if you're a good coach you can turn around a team even with pitiful/horrid players"

You seriously think a coach can win with horrid players? That could be one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Bill Cowher couldn't get 4 star recruits to go play at Buffalo and he sure couldn't win anything with horrid players.

I think Gill is a nice hire and will be great for the university and the community. Get on board.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

Harbaugh was 29-6 at San Diego before going 17-19 at Stanford. Of course the Gill afficionados point to the record prior to his arrival as evidence. Well, Stanford had won a whopping 16 games in the 6 years before Harbaugh arrived.

Who did Buffalo beat under Gill's reign? Ball State. Yes, Ball state. Gill was 1-7 vs. ranked teams in his 4 years.Gill's team was actually tied for the the 4th best record in the conference the year they "won the MAC."

I'm not pro-Harbaugh or anti-Gill. I just think that people who are using numbers, whether you think that is a valid measure or not, should use the actual numbers and not some imagined figures.

riverdrifter 5 years, 5 months ago

Notajay sez: "Pay attention to all the whining about Lew - these armchair coaches don't go to the games at all, and blame Lew for not being able to afford it."

Right on!

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

"you might want to re-evaluate your perception of our program"

As I said before, KU is SETTLING for Gill.

I've been following the program for 21 seasons now. I was in the stands on freezing cold days (like when Tony Sands rushed for 396 yards) and I've been in the stands when North Texas came and played in a torrential downpour. I sat through nearly all of the Glen Mason years, all of the Terry Allen years, and most recently, seen plenty of games during the Mangino years.

The KU job is not what it was when Mangino was hired nor is it what it was when Terry Allen was hired. I spent many games sitting in the stands with empty rows all around. I sure as heck hope that when all is said and done, the Turner Gill years look more like Mangino years than Terry Allen years.

I think I have a pretty good perspective and perception of where the program is such that I don't need to re-evaluate it. Gill was a mediocre coach in the MAC. The Big-12... it ain't the MAC.

cg1029 5 years, 5 months ago

Not a fan of this in any way... If it is true we wasted an opportunity to get a coach with a better history... He makes 250K at Buff so we better not pay him more then 500K - 750K at the most.

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 5 months ago

blackshirt guy says.....

"Do some research guys you might find out somthing you didn't know about him. Like the fact that he has done nothing but WIN!

So who all here is gonna come back and eat crow when Gill proves you wrong? Or will you all just run your mouths and then jump on the bandwagon when he wins next year?"

as a head coach he's 20-30 not exactly doing nothing but winning. i've had season tix for years and have been to almost every home game since 1985, and i'll be going to almost every home game until i die. I'm feeling like we have another terry allen on our hands. if i'm wrong i'll eat crow, i was wrong about ripping the red shirt off of reesing too so we will see. i just thought with the new facilities, lotta money to offer, and the gridiron club going up, that we could get a bigger name and someone who has proven he could win. a little dissappointed that's all. i wish him well and hope we win the north. just a little irritated lew hired the first freaking guy he interviewed!!!

jmatthews5 5 years, 5 months ago

jayhawks71-- programs don't change that much because of one BCS bowl win. Coaches don't view the KU job the same way you do. If they did, Sweet Lew would have hired a bigger name so that "die-hards" like you would be more inclined to pump more cash into the program. Since KU is "settling" for Gill, what is you conspiracy theory here? 7 or 8 big names were lined up to take the job but Perkins went after Gill so that he could get people to post on the ljworld site?

When you have some free time, go through a list of all of the BCS schools and see where you'd rank the KU job in comparison. After you do that, go have a nice glass of scotch and ponder how lucky we are to have a guy that is going to load our sideline with talented players from Texas.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

sundancewierdo, I can understand the sentiments of your last paragraph. I think that is how I feel as well. KU is a far better program than it was before Mangino got to KU.

To those who want to moan that Mangino went 12-1 in a season when they "had a weak Big 12 schedule" give me a break. Even a weak Big 12 schedule is at least no worse than the schedule Buffalo plays year in and year out. KU had some close games that year, but they were trouncing teams by 30, 40, 50, and 60 points. I sat in the stands for games when KU was on the other side of those beatings. By the way, KU beat one of Buffalo's MAC conference foes 52-7 that year. That team, Central Michigan WON THE MAC that year and lost their bowl game by a field goal. KU gave them their worst defeat that year.

Gimme a break people.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

"programs don't change that much because of one BCS bowl win."

If you think that difference between KU football in 2001 and KU football 2009 is "one BCS bowl win" you are sorely mistaken.

"Since KU is “settling” for Gill, what is you conspiracy theory here"

Who said there has to be any sort of conspiracy theory. Don't be a jerk and try to cast my comment that KU settled for Turner Gill as being on par with the anti-vaxers and the 9-11 inside-job wackos.

But, because you insinuated, let me give you something close to conspiracy theory, yet not so far fetched. People like Lew Perkins, it goes without saying, have egos, big ones. Lew is missing one important feather in his cap. What is Lew's hiring legacy at KU thus far? Who has Lew hired to coach any sport at KU? He didn't hire Bill Self. He didn't hire Mangino. He didn't hire the volleyball coach or the women's soccer coach. He didn't hire the baseball coach. He finally got to hire... the softball coach. Sure Lew has gotten facilities built, has increased the price of tickets and gotten money funneled into the KUAC, but who has Lew hired to show that he can claim to have "a great eye for talent." He is playing the role of Gambler with Gill. If he hires Gill and Gill wins, he looks like a genius. If he hires Gill and he doesn't do so well, he has a nice golden parachute to attach as he leaves KU in 2 years. If Gill keeps KU respectable for the next 2 or 3 years and gets a bowl game in year 2 and year 3, he has that feather.

"and ponder how lucky we are to have a guy that is going to load our sideline with talented players from Texas"

Because Gill is the only guy out there that can recruit Texas. I wonder if Nolan Cromwell or Kevin Sumlin could recruit in Texas. What about Muschamp? Is he really going to wait for 58 year old, $5-million per year Mac Brown to retire in perhaps 2016? Three people right there that could recruit Texas.

cat3080 5 years, 5 months ago

The Kansas fans should feel fortunate to have a man with the integrity of Turner Gill. I have been and always will be a Husker fan. Turner has played for and coached with one of the best coaches in college football history. He has turned around a terrible program in Buffalo and will be very successful at Kansas. Anyone who thinks this is a bad hire is not informed. He is a great recruiter who can tap into the Texas pipeline that all Big 12 north teams need to get into. He is also a great man that will build a relationship with players that as far as i know has not been done at KU for quite sometime. As a husker fan we welcome Turner back to the Big 12 and wish him luck (except for one week every season) and hope that we can have some great games to settle the Big 12 North in the near future. Good Luck Turner and KU. See you in Lincoln next year.

Graczyk 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm really not a fan of Perkins, but the idea that he feels the need to make a hire just to prove that he can is too far fetched. I think that if he was really worried about his ego then he would have talked with Tuberville or made the deal too good for Harbaugh to walk away from. I don't think Gill is an ego hire. I think Gill is a solid hire that will fit in with the stated goals of the program.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

Graczyk, then Lew will always take a back seat to Bob Frederick. Also, jmatthews seemed to want some sort of conspiracy-theory, so that's why I gave the ego response. I don't think it is that far fetched. Tuberville wouldn't have fit the "eye for talent" hire (nor would have a Houston Nutt). The ego hire cannot hire someone who has been any sort of consistent success anywhere. That's what he has in Gill. And before I hear Gill, Nebraska, and success used in the same sentence, he was a QB coach.

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

Some of you people just don't have a clue what you have.... Lew made a great hire! there hasn't been a coach at KU with the character that Gill has since Famborough! I didn't like it when NU hired Callasham but I maned up and supported him and my team as did husker nation. We gave the guy a chance to succeed! he failed miserably... That said, Just give the guy a chance, I promise he'll make you proud to call yourself a Jayhawk! He made me proud to call myself a Husker and I expect nothing less from him in Lawrence!

rockchalkmillhouse25 5 years, 5 months ago

Everyone thats bashing Gill does realize that when he took over Buffalo's program they were in worse shape than KSU was when Snyder took over the first time??? Give him a chance!!

Uhjh 5 years, 5 months ago

Lew this is not taking KU football to the next level as you stated as your goal. The nepotism of your office is a big disappointment but this is just flat stupid. Now it will be 10 to 12 years to get the program resurrected. Good luck filling Memorial Stadium. :(

Linda Aikins 5 years, 5 months ago

Innocent before proven guilty, right? I plan to follow that theory and will cheer him on as much as I can and hope that things work out for him.

If you come, Turner, don't worry. 98% of the people on this board would never say to your face what they say on here.

We'll be happy to watch you and form our own opinion, just as many others will. If you do come, welcome to the jungle they call Lawrence!

TopJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

This is above all a character hire. Something apparently needed. If a man has character, that will take care of a lot of the woes. Give the man a chance.
Lew met with a lot of top notch coaches. I will trust his instinct untill proven otherwise. Go Turner, we are glad to have you.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

In two or there yrs, I hope all the whiners will man up and eat some crow. But then, that takes character.

Nudist, I think you have been out running around in the cold in your birthday suit too long.

jcphawk 5 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe all of the negativity towards this hire. I don't know that Gill would have been my top choice, but he is still a good choice..

This isn't Terry Allen. Gill has a history of recruiting division I players and name recognition that Terry Allen never had. If Tuberville is such a great choice, why aren't other schools beating down his door to hire him?

TopJayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Good hire. Turner Gill is a class act. If he was not, all of these assistant coaches would not drop what they are doing and follow along. Beobachter is an idiot. His assertions contradict the facts.
He says KU cannot get a good coach. Then he blasts Perkins for not hiring several of the "big names" that were lined up for the job. Which is it hater? Go Turner go. Go Lew go.

jayhawks71,

I did not include San Diego numbers because they are in the FCS division. Everyone wants to throw out Gills experience as an assistant on at NU. Gill was the QB coach in 95 on a team that is widely recognized as the best college football team of all time. But if that don't count for anything. Then neither does Harbaugh's record as San Deigo.

Terry Allen was 75-26 at Norther Iowa before he got the job at KU and won around 40% of the games. Sounds like Harbaugh.

Another thing I stumbled upon. Both Gill and Harbaugh were assistants under Bill Callahan. The difference is Gill left after one season with Billy and Harbaugh stayed with him until the Raiders fired Billy.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm ready to support Gill and KU football. I still think KU settled for Gill the way they settled for Allen and Mangino. Allen didn't really work out at all and the program regressed under him. Mangino worked out in the W-L/ Bowl games counts, but seemed to do it in a way that many found inappropriate. My best guess is that Gill will be the 'character' guy that Mangino was not and that his W-L/Bowl games count is....TBD.

I want to see whomever coaches the team and the program succeed. My support for the team doesn't hinge on who is coaching them. I hope that Gill is both a winner and a coach who attracts quality human beings to play for him while at KU.

redbull, Gill is being hired for a head coaching job. I'm willing to give a coordinating position credit toward that job, but in my analysis I'm not going to give a position coach credit toward that. That's my prerogative. Apparently the guy doing the hiring and some of you think otherwise. When I mentioned Harbaugh's record at San Diego, I was not weighting it that much, however, it is far more meaningful service toward being a head coach than Gill's time as a QB coach. That said, Gill has 4 years of head coaching experience.

Regardless, when Gill is announced I will still be supporting KU football just like I have for 20+ years.

Scruggsy 5 years, 5 months ago

I would like to know if Nolan Crowell was at least given an interview? Here is a former Jayhawk legend with a long NFL assistant background, currently offensive coordinator at A&M...

If Lew was going to play the gambler with this hire, why not try the Jayhawk? Excuse us all to hell Husker Nation if we don't fall all over ourselves for our good fortune of getting Gill. Maybe some Jayhawk fans feel the way about Cromwell that you do about Gill? Anyway, the list probably will never be known, but I would like to know who else was interviewed...

Bruce Rist 5 years, 5 months ago

For the record, Bill Self was 34-47 in his first three years at Oral Roberts.

sourpuss 5 years, 5 months ago

It seems to me that with the assistants he is bringing, we are getting THREE coaches with head coaching experience. That could be a good thing for our program. I think the success of teams in the next five years will be due to Gill's potential recruiting ability and positive chemistry. I'll support him as long as he remembers that God can't win you football games. Especially not in the Big 12.

average 5 years, 5 months ago

All the best luck to Mr Gill. I mean that.

But, if we want to count assistant roles in the 'winner' category, we just fired a guy who was offensive coordinator for national championship team and has a "national assistant coach of the year" up on the shelf with his "national coach of the year".

I think Lew has an eye on his Johnson County donor base. They may support a guy hovering between 5-7 and 7-5 a lot longer if he's media-attractive with a little moral preachin' than if he's gruff, angry, and spherical.

Justin Ahrens 5 years, 5 months ago

Bet this ends up looking like Ron Prince at KSU. Everyone get ready to have our A** handed to us by KSU (and the rest of the Big 12) year after year. Mangino couldn't bet Bill Synder and Gill won't either

lctchr1 5 years, 5 months ago

lama (Anonymous) says…

"Couple of other points: 50nash, Mizzou didn't deserve anything in 2007. They got blitzed on national television the night before Selection Sunday and had two losses. Perkins was smart enough to guarantee ticket sales, and sure enough, KU brought 20,000 fans to Miami. The freaking Insight Bowl just passed on Missouri because they don't travel. We have an AD who knows how the game is played and gets the job done."

Amen, lama. KU deserved the Orange Bowl bid, and we gave them a great game. Rock Chalk and welcome TG!

Iwanttosaythis 5 years, 5 months ago

gill gets paid less so i bet L.P. is going to get a big pay rise what do you all think, L.P. is smart money talks when it going to be for him. a losing season for ku football for the next few years or longer. we have not miss a home game on the hill for a long time but we may miss it now thank you L.P. maybe now we can catch up on those home projects.

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

To the supporters of Gill, I am happy for you and wish this team the best of luck heading forward, although in my mind luck will not be a factor.

To the naysayers- You are a bunch of fair weather fans who don't deserve the class act that Gill is! Have some respect for the guy. He spent 16 years in this conference, and knows what kind of fans you are. Yet he still took this job, even though every time he was in Lawrence your stadium was 3/4 red! I think he is giving you as fans the benefit of the doubt, you should consider doing the same for him!

IBike100 5 years, 5 months ago

Great choice! I'm from the Buffalo area, and he is highly respected and well-loved. Let's give him a chance!

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

I never saw anyone say he did win the heisman. I saw a few saying he was quarterback coach when crouch won it. Also when Frazier was second but should have won it! I really hope some of Gill rubs off on you people! He is the epitome of what college football is about and he learned it from the best! You don't get to be one of the most respected programs in college football history by having a great head coach and mediocre people around him! It takes a whole staff of great coaches! Be supportive! Expect him to win! I promise you he expects to win here, and with or without your support he is going to win here!

hellsbasement,

That is like a Nebraska fan saying that they wouldn't accept Danny Manning as a head basketball coach simply because he was a Jayhawk.

Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

Blackshirt....if Gill is such a great coach, why didn't NU hire him two seasons ago rather than a coordinator in Pelini?

and hey...I once took over a popwarner program that had never experienced a winning season. I proceed to win 85% percent of my games over a four year period. I am a great recruiter in the KC area. Fact is, all I've ever done is WIN. Popwarner football isn't too far below Buffalo's level, is it?

Final thought! I'll always follow the Jayhawks. I've attended games for over 35 years now. Simply put.....I don't see how Lew fails to bring in Tuberville who won in the toughest football conference D1. It's a no brainer!

Blackshirt_retrievers 5 years, 5 months ago

He was not hired because nebraska's defense was the problem and they hired the best defensive mind in college football and it shows! Simple as that! Now at the same time KU's defense is horrible, but the team also lacks integrity! Gill has that and is bringing a darn good DC and OC with him! KU will be fine! As I said before I don't like the hire for one reason and that is the fact that I know KU is going to give BIG RED a run for their money year in and year out with gill!

Larry Bauerle Jr. 5 years, 5 months ago

I think this is a great hire! Those wanting Tuberville, if he is such a great hire, why is he publicly "begging" for a job? Why is his name not mentioned for other openings? Perhaps those that make their living in the world of college athletics know more than you. Every great coach at one time had to have someone to give them the opportunity for success. For those of you wanting to get rid of tickets, I'll take them off your hands for you.

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

"why didn't NU hire him two seasons ago rather than a coordinator in Pelini?"

'Cuz for Osborne, NU's defense was most in need of help.

"For the record, we beat out Missouri for the Orange bowl because every year our basketball fans follow the team to the tournament sites (not because of anything Lew Perkins has done"

We beat out Mizzou because our fans travel.....all of 'em. And you have absolutely no idea what role Lew played in that situation, but if you honestly believe that while being considered one of the top five AD's in the country he had no influence whatsoever, you're talkin' out the wrong end.

"All Perkins has done is disasters like the football practice field."

5 straight men's b-ball conference titles National Championship Ranked #1 to start season First ever Orange Bowl win First ever back to back bowl wins First time ever ranked #2 in football Football and b-ball coach's salaries brought to natl. level Women's basketball ranked and rising Tens of millions for new and/or improved facilities, particularly for football which brings us to natl. level Just hired KU's first ever male african-american head coach

Yeah, he's worthless.

MR_L 5 years, 5 months ago

Finally an African-American coach!!!! Kansas lost ALL of their final 6 games!!! Obviously the players didn't respect Mangino any longer. It was time to get a new system in place. So we hired Terry Allen who had no accomplishments when he hit campus, how did that work out for us?? Turner Gill IS accomplished. Just give the guy a chance!!!

anon1958 5 years, 5 months ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says…

The KU football job is a stepping stone job for a possibility to go to a better coaching Job.

This is true at on the academic side also KU and is evident by the many excellent Lawrence campus science faculty and medical school faculty that bolted from KU during the last decade. KU is an academic stepping stone to a university that matters.

hbjayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

Dear Hawk Nation:

Stop your complaining about Lew! Stop your complaining about everything! I promise you that we just made a GREAT selection with Gil.

The only way we win the B12 North is by beating Nebraska. If you are a Jayhawk fan, you are excited about Gil. Beating Nebraska will be personal for him. He will instill a sense of commitment to his players and they will perform. I can't wait for the game next year--If I were the B12 north, I would be very concerned about the addition to Gil. He is on a mission to prove Nebraska made a big mistake. He is on a mission to prove to be a winner at KU. He will put 110 percent into this job. If you thought invictus was moving, wait to see what he does for the Lawrence Springbacks!

hbjayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

well said, jaywalker! The locals are morons who think this is doom for KU Football!

raiderssb 5 years, 5 months ago

This is a great choice - no doubt about it, for the following reasons.

To the naysayers, Gill has built Buffalo from one of college football's biggest losers into one of its most respected up-and-coming programs.

His vision is to provide a positive, motivating environment that encourages excellence, growth and balance in the lives of all staff and student-athletes. Something that wasn't even in Mangino's "frame of reference".

From Believing in Each Other to Enjoying the Experience

Gill was so inspired by the word "Believe" that he built his program's mission around it. Here are the behaviors he values and prioritizes:

Believe in each other and the things not yet seen. Empower people by encouragement. Learn and push toward the goal. Influence by being a positive role model. Expect great effort all the time. Visualize success. Enjoy the college football experience.

This man lives it every day, and I believe he will absolutely exemplify a higher personal, personnel and student standard than Big M ever would or could.

tot 5 years, 5 months ago

50nash 5 years, 5 months ago

The Tuner Gill hire makes me want to be a KU fan, but the negative comments here make me ashamed to be associated with a big part of the fan base.

Everyone who thinks KU can do better clearly knows very little about college football outside of Lawrence. The big names you think we should get aren't even interested in the KU job. But they will be after Gill's been here a while. He will no doubt help to engineer a badly needed upgrade in the KU football culture. Whatever else you think about the allegations against Mangino, a coach who acts like a jerk around town and gets kicked out of his kid's football game won't be able to build a lasting culture that will consistently attract top recruits. One Orange Bowl win does not make KU a top program or a coveted job.

I'm glad other comments here and on other stories show that there are enough well-informed college football fans in town to make this worth following.

Gill's inheriting a depleted program, so all of you who have no perspective will be calling for his head for a few years. But make no mistake, Gill will no doubt make the program a serious contender and help educate a big part of the fan base that sorely needs it.

greenworld 5 years, 5 months ago

We now have a new defense, their called the blueshirts.

kuftballer 5 years, 5 months ago

ku fans have never until now experienced any type of culture this man will bring to the ku football program he will be respected all across the big 12 and is bringing with him two of the best coridinators in the big 12. i have lived in the ku area now and have never seen fans like this who are so ignorant about football. the passion and culture will be the best it has ever been here and the charachter of this program has just taken a huge step forward its a shame the fan base has no class i dont know whos worse the mizzou fans or the ku fans you will probably have more supportive fans from big red country. you are always welcome there turner.

Larry 5 years, 5 months ago

kuftballer...what do you mean he is always welcome in Big Red country..they've turned him down twice.

HBJayhawk - your 11:32 post makes the most sense thus far. Helps me to be more optimistic about the situation.

As for the negativity of KU fans. I think it is fair to say that there is a new passion for successful football at KU. KU fans have gone through so many years of worthless football, now with a taste of success and the fun it brings...we are extremely protective about who takes over the program because we don't want to return to the late 70's and 80's. Too many times, our hopes have been built up, only to be greatly disappointed a few years later.

The more I read about Turner Gill, the more I think he'll come in and pick up some support and loyalty by his personality alone. It will be critical that his team competes next year.

Frightwig 5 years, 5 months ago

"Tens of millions for new and/or improved facilities, particularly for football which brings us to natl. level”

If you think Lew Perkins deserves credit for those you're just completely ignorant and sadly mistaken.

All Perkins did was ride along and look silly doing it.

Yes, the KU Athletic budget magically went from $27mil to $55mil without Lew's input whatsoever. (During a national economic downturn, no less)

Please step away from the crack pipe.

kuftballer 5 years, 5 months ago

Larry he coached there 16 years!! asst coach under osborne and solich. 2004 AD was an A## and hired bil crapahan not husker nations choice by the time he was finnished the defence was a laughing stock hell ku beat em by 70 some pts. it was between pelini and turner in 2007 to turn things around and DEFENCE was priority. See interview with T.O. hardest decission in his life to pass on turner. i guarentee husker nation and Pelini would hire him in a sec but Turner is head coach material. Again Jayhawk fans have no clue on what they are about to experience. competitive well coached integrity and a pride that will culminate jayhawk football. this freaking guy can RECRUIT texas and the nation. the big twelve north will have there hands full if KU fans can GET IT. they might evan dominate MU. once he has a chance to get his talent level there and his type of kids. he will make winners out of KU i will bet on it. And he has gone up against KSU and Grampa for years and knows his tendances might evan dominate the purple. The face of KU football and the direction under Coach Gill will cultivate Your program for years to cum and may experience what a good football program is and how to cultivate it, not a year or two flash in the pan couple of years.

BillCollins 5 years, 5 months ago

I am from Buffalo and rest assured we are very sad to see Turner Gill leave but at the same time, the University and community are thrilled for him and the opportunity Kansas is providing. He is the classiest of all acts and you will be very proud to have him as your coach and yes, he will win and he will do so in a high road, honorable fashion.

Turner's Buffalo W-L record does not look impressive but you would have to know how bad the program was before he got here. Buffalo had advanced from I-AA to I-A before the program was mature enough to do so and they were totally in over its head in I-A. Turner did an incredible job elevating the program and recruiting better athletes who could compete. Buffalo shocked the MAC last year by winning the championship...Ball State still doesn't know what hit them.

Buffalo went 5-7 this year and had some bad luck and some key injuries and lost several heartbreakers in the last minute but believe me, NO ONE was critical of Turner. Frankly, we were hoping the 5-7 record would keep him here for another year although we all felt his departure was inevitable.

Give him a fair chance. Mark my words, a year or two from now Kansas fans will be very happy with Turner Gill. If not, send him back!

Jason Bailey 5 years, 5 months ago

BillCollins wrote: "Buffalo shocked the MAC last year by winning the championship…Ball State still doesn't know what hit them."

You meant to say, "Ball State doesn't know how they gave the game away."

Look at the stats. 30 1st downs to Buffalo's 18. 500+ yards to Buffalos 300 yards. Ball St should have won but bad ball control in the 3rd Qtr ruined what should have been a walk in the park by Ball St.

I believe I'm going to play the part of Scooby now and unmask BillCollins for who he really is....Turner Gill!

Jinkies! Never say that one coming.

BillCollins 5 years, 5 months ago

You got me!

Anyway, I'll take your word for the Ball State-Buffalo game and the stats. I don't recall the specifics other than the final score. Turner Gill got those kids to believe anything was possible and even though Buffalo was a heavy underdog to Ball, they somehow managed to beat them. If they had played again the following week, Ball would have probably won but when it was all on the line for the championship, Turner's team rose to the occasion.

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 5 months ago

ok, i'll concede for now. i was pretty dissappointed yesterday. however, the more i read about him, the more i like him. wish him luck...

HuskerJoe67 5 years, 5 months ago

Well I'll be darned! KU has to go out and get an ex-Husker great to fix its ailing football program? That has got to hurt the ol Jayhawk pride. My advice, just discontinue the football program and put the money towards building a bigger and better fieldhouse.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

"Gill has won 4 Orange Bowls, KU 1 Gill won 3 B12 North Champoinship. KU 0 Gill won 2 B12 Championship. KU 0 Gill won 3 National Championship. KU 0"

O really, GILL won those? Even Gill himself would call these statements moronic. Someone tell Tom Osborne and the rest of the Husker players that GILL won 4 orange bowls and 3 national championships.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

"Yes, the KU Athletic budget magically went from $27mil to $55mil without Lew's input whatsoever."

Of course this statement is overreaching, but nothing does more for attendance (and ticket sales and the price people are willing to pay for tickets) than W-I-N-N-I-N-G. Winning games gets people to come to games, not ADs. Had Lew hired Bill Self or Mark Mangino, perhaps he would be able to claim more credit. Blame Self (and Roy Williams) and Mangino for most of that increase.

onetime97 5 years, 5 months ago

These comments are so funny to read because KU fans have no idea of what a winning football coach/program/etc/etc/ is!

This Gill guy is bringing in what i consider a very potent staff with former OU oc Chuck Long...WOW....I never believed KU was truly committed to being a program to mess with in football in the Big 12 but these hires by lew make me think otherwise and a bit worried that if our team doesn't turn around its misfits this season KU could be the new cream of the crop...KU fans don't have anything to compare to winning other than MM..who was a good coach..just not a winner..(Yeah they won the orange bowl..but they didn't play TX or OU that year)..these assistant coaches coming in are WINNERS!

Give these coaches a chance KU fans I guarantee you'll enjoy eating that blue Crow in a few years!

jaywalker 5 years, 5 months ago

"just discontinue the football program and put the money towards building a bigger and better fieldhouse.'

Sorry, joe, but you're no Husker. Husker's have class.

jayhawks71 5 years, 5 months ago

"For the record, Bill Self was 34-47 in his first three years at Oral Roberts."

I like how you left out the W/L for the 4th year (which would perhaps make the comparison at least a fruit-to-fruit comparison) to somehow buttress a specious point. Self was 55-54 in 4 years at Oral Roberts and KU didn't hire the Bill Self who had coached Oral Roberts. In fact, it was Tulsa, not a big name that then hired self. Only after proving himself at Tulsa with a .733 win percentage did Illinois take a chance on him. Only then, after a .765 win percentage at Illinois did KU hire Self. It was 10 years of coaching and a 207-105 record (including your 47 losses in his first 3 years at ORU) before KU hired Self.

So, what was your point?