Archive for Saturday, December 12, 2009

25 years ago: Quarry request to be studied

December 12, 2009

Advertisement

One of the touchiest land use questions raised in recent years — a proposal for a rock quarry south of Lawrence — again was facing county planners and commissioners. Robert Bigsby Sr., Rt. 2, had filed a second request for a quarry on his Willow Springs Township farm about six miles south Lawrence. There was opposition and officials continued to study the matter.

First-class postage was to rise to 22 cents effective Feb. 17, the Postal Service Board of Governors announced.

As the bodies of two Americans slain during the hijacking of a Kuwaiti jetliner were returned to the United States, vice president George H.W. Bush called for “patient but certain justice” against the killers.

Finding no takers for keeping the building, the Union Pacific Railroad Co. decided to demolish its depot in North Lawrence. Surprised by the decision. officers of the North Lawrence Improvement Assn. called a meeting to decide what, if anything, they could do to save the building, constructed about 1889 at North Second and Maple. It was designed by Henry Van Brunt who also had designed Kansas University’s Spooner Hall.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.