Archive for Friday, December 11, 2009

Tree options

Westar needs to look at all the options before taking out mature trees along a city park.

December 11, 2009

Westar may have some good reasons for removing as many as 20 trees in and near Watson Park, but many city residents could offer a number of good reasons why the trees should stay.

Preserving the trees on Seventh and Kentucky streets may not be a viable option, but city officials should actively work with Westar to make sure the utility has looked at all of its options. Is it possible, for instance, to bury those power lines? If so, how much more would it cost to do that rather than take out the trees? If the figure isn’t prohibitive, perhaps the city could even offer to use some parks and recreation funds to share the costs.

If removing the trees is part of an effort to protect lines that supply electricity to Lawrence downtown, buried lines would provide even greater reliability.

It takes a long time to grow trees as large as some of those slated for removal. City officials and Westar owe it to their constituents and customers to make sure there aren’t any reasonable alternatives before bringing in the chainsaws.

Comments

dontcallmedan 5 years, 5 months ago

What the heck? A JW editorial that makes sense!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 5 months ago

"If so, how much more would it cost to do that (bury the lines) rather than take out the trees?"

Wrong question. The question is how much those mature trees are worth vs. the cost of burying the power lines. I say bury the power lines.

quimby 5 years, 5 months ago

bravo! please don't kill those nice trees.

George_Braziller 5 years, 5 months ago

At a minimum prune (not butcher) the existing trees, plant replacements between them and give them a few years to establish themselves before taking out the existing ones. It will take three or four years years for the replacement trees to look like "trees" and not living fence posts.

imastinker 5 years, 5 months ago

I planted trees under the power lines at my house. I selected dwarf trees that are not supposed to get very big, and I spaced them wider than called for. When they start to get larger I'll plant new ones between the current ones and eventually cut down the ones I just planted. It might seem like a lot of work but I got what I wanted.

George_Braziller 5 years, 5 months ago

Stinker - Your approach is a bit more effort but well worth it. You think like a gardener. Plant for the present but think about the future. You're smart. Too many people plant trees and shrubs for the immediate impact without considering the mature size.