Archive for Friday, December 11, 2009

KU football booster Anderson lets coaching search take its course

December 11, 2009

While Dana Anderson’s success in the business world has made him a lot of things — millionaire, vice chairman of the California-based Macerich Company, major donor to Kansas University — it hasn’t given him any particular insight into what makes a successful college football coach.

And so, as KU athletic director Lew Perkins carries out his search for a replacement to recently departed football coach Mark Mangino, Anderson — the man whose name adorns the Kansas University football team’s new $31 million complex — has refrained from throwing his two cents Perkins’ way.

“I know it’s fun for everybody to have opinions in sports,” Anderson said by phone from his office in Los Angeles this week. “But the truth is, I know a lot more about shopping centers than I do about athletics.”

As a result, Anderson hasn’t spoken with Perkins since the coaching search began, and has similarly avoided any urge to pick up the phone and get a progress update from the seventh-year athletic director — which, given Anderson’s stature as one of the university’s most prominent boosters, he almost certainly could.

Instead, Anderson has followed the search much like the rest of us, through the various newspaper and television reports that have surfaced sporadically along the way.

His wish is simply that Kansas hires the right man —whoever that may be — and does so quickly.

“I do think, obviously, that every day that goes by without a leader in the football program makes the recruiting this year more difficult and less productive,” he said. “So I’m hopeful that they do it with due diligence, but nevertheless moving as fast as they can.”

As of now, it’s hard to know exactly how fast Perkins has been moving — he has declined to comment throughout the week-long search, and school officials have said they won’t confirm or deny any reports during the process.

With the exception of Buffalo’s Turner Gill and Mississippi’s Houston Nutt, both of whom have reportedly spoken with Kansas officials about the opening, Perkins has managed to keep a good deal of his goings-on under wraps.

As a handful of potential candidates have dropped from the running, however, speculation has — at least temporarily — begun to center on Gill, Eastern Carolina’s Skip Holtz and Central Michigan’s Butch Jones.

With the program having made significant strides under Mangino, who led the Jayhawks to an Orange Bowl title and back-to-back bowl victories for the first time in school history, Anderson believes the Kansas opening represents a good opportunity for a promising coach.

And he’s hoping that, given the program’s rise to respectability, said coach can keep it going.

“I don’t think there’s anything distinctively better about Oklahoma than Kansas — or Nebraska, for that matter,” he said. “But obviously, they have a tradition, and our goal is to try to get somewhere close to that.

“That’s the way I’ve always looked at it.”

Comments

kubear1995 4 years, 7 months ago

Thank you Mr. Anderson. Your statement, "every day that goes by without a leader in the football program makes the recruiting this year more difficult and less productive,” says it all. Notre Dame has already hired coach Kelly.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't know anything about football or shopping centers, but I could be great at speaking in the sports cliches that seem to be the main qualification for a head football coach. I remain willing to spend as much of Anderson's money as possible as the next KU football coach.

anon1958 4 years, 7 months ago

No team with a winning record at the end of the season has ever had any problem beating KU as if they were Hercules beating up the orphaned red-headed runt stepchild of an anemic crack addict, so I really think they should play on their multimillion dollar eyesore and stop worrying that Maxwell Smart is going to learn their secret strategies.

beawolf 4 years, 7 months ago

" I wonder what Anderson thinks about the fact that the expensive tree lined practice field has been rarely used."...

I walked by there often in the late afternoon. It seems to me it's used every day during the season. Do you always lie to get your point across?

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

Takeastand, I've found that site to be pretty doggone accurate.

Graczyk 4 years, 7 months ago

I would be happy with Gill, but if Takeastand's link is accurate then Harbaugh would be a real big get.

beawolf 4 years, 7 months ago

JackRipper (Anonymous) says… "beawolf, what you said is an outright lie so ask yourself the question."...

Raider 4 years, 7 months ago

"Your right. Maybe that's Lawrence High using the fields. Although with the blue practice jerseys they do look a lot like the KU team."

Couldn't be LHS. They actually won games this season.

rodentgirl16 4 years, 7 months ago

KMBC is reporting that Harbaugh has been offered a contract as breaking news. I'm surprised ljworld doesn't have this up yet.

CoolCat1 4 years, 7 months ago

Jayhawks why are you wasting your time chasing Harbaugh and Sumlin who you're not going to get and Houston Nutt whose Ole Miss was embarrassed by Mississippi State.

Perkins and Anderson your money should highly value Kansas football by going after the best available coaches who've been there like Jon Gruden, Steve Mariucci and Butch Davis who would be substantially moving up from the weak ACC and North Carolina to prestigious Big 12 Football.

Turner Gill of Buffalo is a viable candidate, but a better Black candidate is an assistant you Jayhawks seen, played and struggle against this year. That would be the offensive coordinator for Southern Mississippi. His name is Darrell Wyatt. The Jayhawks moved the ball at will on Southern Miss, but you struggle stopping Wyatt's offense.

Wyatt was Mike Stoops' receivers coach at Arizona before accepting the Southern Mississippi job, so he's seen and participated in a program that was rebuilt from ashes to success.

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

"The Jayhawks moved the ball at will on Southern Miss, but you struggle stopping Wyatt's offense." Man, we struggled stopping anybody's offense last season. This makes Darrell Wyatt a head coaching genious? It's Harbaugh.

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

Toe: Not that I really GAS, but please cite.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 7 months ago

"I'd take the job. For a lot less money than these other boys too. I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express one time."

Hey, autie. I'm glad to see I have a worthy rival for the position of KU Head Football Coach.

I look forward to debating you in the course of our campaigns to achieve our dream job. While I'm quite unqualified for the position, I am almost certain I would be much more appreciative than any other candidate in receiving the appointment to a job that's almost as pointless as this post is.

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

Eddie Aikau from Waimea on fuel channel is great. Twenty years ago I did a great face-plant on a 10' "swell". They are +24' now!