Advertisement

Archive for Friday, December 11, 2009

Fire officials: Improper disposal of smoking materials caused blaze at apartments

The cause of a fire that damaged five units at Cedarwood Villa has been determined as accidental. The fire was started when smoking materials were improperly disposed of.

December 11, 2009

Advertisement

Improper disposal of smoking material caused a fire Thursday morning that displaced 14 people from Cedarwood Apartments, Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical investigators said Friday.

The accidental fire caused $127,000 in damage to the building at 2430 Ousdahl Road.

Lawrence police officers arrived just after 6 a.m. Thursday and discovered heavy smoke coming from the bottom floor of the building, prompting fire crews to call for a second alarm.

Firefighters had the blaze under control 40 minutes later. No firefighters were injured, and authorities accounted for all occupants of the building.

Five units in the building sustained fire and smoke damage. According to Douglas County records, Cedarwood Villa LLC owns the building. The buildings at 2414 and 2430 Ousdahl Road are appraised together at $800,000.

Comments

cheeseburger 4 years, 4 months ago

To those of you who think smoking only affects the smoker, here is yet another example of how that is a false statement.

0

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't think it's fire crews job to look for drugs and guns. The fire investigator(s) might be concerned if the "smoking materials" that were improperly disposed were drug related, but otherwise, it's really not their business.

0

sad_lawrencian 4 years, 4 months ago

kuslaves, I live on Redbud Ln and I resent that remark. This street has actually improved quite a bit in the time I've been living here (about 2 years).

0

kuslaves 4 years, 4 months ago

consumer1, Your mistaken. The crews responded to Ousdahl Road this time, and not Redbud Ln, where they would have found the majority of Lawrences drugs and guns.

0

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

how many people were charged with drug offenses after fire crews reported all the drugs they found in the apartments. Also how many guns were accounted for?

0

macon47 4 years, 4 months ago

did you ever notice gods gift to smokers is saving them $5,000.00 a month not cluttering up the rest homes for the last 10 yrs of their lives??

0

1029 4 years, 4 months ago

"Improper disposal of smoking material"? Is that like cashing a bowl into the trash instead of using the sink?

On another note, 14 humans may have been displaced, but I bet there were thousands of poor brown recluse spiders that lost their home. That complex is infested.

0

rodentgirl16 4 years, 4 months ago

Ouch. I hope they had renter's insurance.

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.