Archive for Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Iwig Family Dairy owner hopes to offer shares, plastic bottles

December 8, 2009

Tim Iwig, owner of Iwig Family Dairy in Tecumseh, is urging customers to return their glass bottles.

In a newsletter, he said the company had its best monthly sales of 2009 in October but then sales dropped a bit in November.

“If bottles are gone and sales have slipped, this would indicate that a lot of people bought it a few times and kept the bottles,” Iwig said. “I didn’t price my deposit high enough to just sell the bottles. The idea is to keep the deposit low enough to help encourage new sales. A higher deposit might be needed, but I think that it would discourage sales to new customers.”

FARM FRESH

The Iwig Family Dairy is at 3320 S.E. Tecumseh Road, which is about 16 miles east of Lawrence. To get there, take U.S. Highway 40 west and turn left onto Southeast Tecumseh Road. The farm is about 2.5 miles on the left.

It also can be reached by heading north on Tecumseh Road if traveling to Tecumseh via Stull Road, which is County Road 442 in Douglas County and 45th Street in Shawnee County.

The store is open from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday.

For more information, click on the farm’s Web site, iloveiwig.com.

Meanwhile, Iwig said attorneys are working with the Kansas Securities Commission to be able to offer shares of the dairy operation. He said the attorneys have produced a rough draft of the securities agreement and disclosure statement.

Iwig also said he has applied for an operating grant with USDA Rural Development to assist in adding a line of plastic bottles. Although Iwig likes glass bottles, he wants to please the cutomers who prefer plastic.

“I have always and still do believe that glass bottling is the best way to preserve the natural taste of my milk,” he said. “In light of that, let me tell you what I hear from my customers: ‘I love your milk in glass and I’ll never go back to plastic’ or ‘I would buy Iwig milk if you would just put it in plastic.’

Iwig said he doesn’t plan to replace the glass bottles, just add a plastic option.

Iwig is open to any suggestions whether it be the shape of the bottles for the new plastic line or a flavor of ice cream. If you have a idea, send him an e-mail.

Comments

walkthehawk 5 years ago

I'm glad you're keeping the glass. We only buy Iwig milk, and that's why. Good luck--we love having a local source of milk and hope you can make it work as a business.

tolawdjk 5 years ago

Blog?

Advertisement disguised as news article?

Column fill deadline?

Return your glass bottles is "news"?

Color me confused.

Charles L Bloss Jr 5 years ago

If the shares were more reasonably priced, like $ 100 a share, more folks would buy them. I know I would like to help, but cannot afford $ 1,000 a share, plus the chance that the business would close. I can't afford to lose that much money as I am retired. Thank you, Lynn

costello 5 years ago

I just stopped in at their onsite story last night for the first time. Got some cream and eggs. The price was very reasonable IMO. And it was so much more pleasant than fighting the after-work traffic and crowds at Dillons!

I also hope they make it work as a business. I plan on making them my regular store for butter, eggs, cream, milk, and cheese.

BTW, I prefer the glass bottles. The $2.25 deposit is reasonable, and if you take your old bottle back each time you go in, you only need pay the deposit once.

costello 5 years ago

Hi tolawdjk: Well, this is a local business. And the bottles are pretty important. I'm sure he paid much more than the $2.25 deposit for them. To replace them will be expensive.

Anyway, if you're not interested, you're free to skip to another article. I, for example, never read the sports. Totally useless in my view. ;-)

ralphralph 5 years ago

They're trying to do things the right way ... it'll never work. People are cheap slobs. We want crap. We get it at the 'Mart. Good guys with good stuff that works like it should are history.

costello 5 years ago

Hi Lynn: I'm like you. I'd love to help but don't have that kind of money lying around. I'm a new customer, having just discovered them yesterday. I'll do my part by purchasing their product as long as their selling it. And encouraging others to give them a try.

costello 5 years ago

"They're trying to do things the right way … it'll never work. People are cheap slobs. We want crap. We get it at the 'Mart. Good guys with good stuff that works like it should are history."

Well, I hope you're wrong, ralphralph. I'm trying to improve my diet by moving toward more whole foods. I eat low carb and use a lot of cream. I was really afraid to price the cream at Iwig because I figured it would be sky-high. I was wrong. I bought a half gallon of cream there last night for $6. Normally I buy it at WalMart because theirs is cheapest of all the local stores - $3.18 a quart. So Iwig was actually cheaper than WalMart.

A dozen large eggs was $2.75 which also compares favorably with free-range and organic eggs available at local supermarkets.

Karrey Britt 5 years ago

tolawdjk — I posted a short update about the Iwigs because there are people who care about our local farmers and how they are doing. There was no deadline or "certain amount" of stories that needed to be done. I simply wanted to let people know how Tim Iwig was doing. The bottle shortage is an important issue for this local dairy farmer.

poppet 5 years ago

i purchased my first iwig milk about 6 weeks ago and as previously noted the quality cannot be beat! (and it's true - this milk does stay fresh longer! - which in turn does save $ if the cheaper brands won't last a week w/o spoiling)...it'sa easy win-win situation - my family gets an exceptional product and in turn supports a local business!...i hope they are around for years to come!

Jimo 5 years ago

I would just keep the glass but wouldn't object to plastic either, I guess.

Great milk. Moo!

Steve Miller 5 years ago

I think lynn is correct, at a lower share price, he may get more takers ??

naturalist 5 years ago

I can't get the email link to work so I'll tell Tim Iwig here that I love the milk in the glass bottles. The proof of glass over plastic is in the taste. It's esp the best skim milk anywhere. I have one empty bottle I'm dropping off at the Merc today!