Archive for Saturday, December 5, 2009

Woman arrested after high-speed chase

A woman was arrested Friday after leading police on a high-speed chase.

December 5, 2009

A 64-year-old Lawrence woman was arrested Friday on charges of aggravated battery of a law enforcement officer, aggravated battery, and attempting to flee and elude.

The woman led officers on a high-speed chase before being arrested at the intersection of 31st and Iowa streets. The incident began when the suspect physically assaulted people who were trying to evict her from her residence at Aberdeen Apartments and fled the scene, nearly striking an officer with her car in the parking lot.

The woman was arrested at 4:19 p.m.

Comments

bluerain 5 years, 5 months ago

greenworld 5 years, 5 months ago

Get a budget and pay your rent. I was amazed one night when I went to the casino how many people were in there of the age 60-80. So many of them probably dumping there SS checks right into the slot machines and then starving to death or getting evicted cuz they are broke.

Hawkman_021 5 years, 5 months ago

well bluerain maybe you should go bail her out of jail and take her in.

It really simple PAY YOUR RENT and OBEY THE RULES OF THE APARTMENT COMPLEX and you wont be evicted

Steve Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

I agree with green world, casinos are a major problem . They create a temptation that is fictious.. The only way you win at a casino, is not to go there. They all should be outlawed............

John Spencer 5 years, 5 months ago

So I am taking my usual 'after reading the article' look at the DGSO.org booking recap to see if I know the person when I notice that there is a bunch of 'Self' arrested people at the same address. Does anyone know if that is an officer, or did they turn themselves in?

OBTW Bluerain, it's 'they're' not 'their.'

Stuart Evans 5 years, 5 months ago

This was inevitable. For the past week, I've noticed a surge in bad driving by seniors. Has it all culminated in this incident, or is there something bigger ahead?

KansasPerson 5 years, 5 months ago

No matter what her circumstances, she endangered other people's lives when she started to "flee and elude." I always hope that fate keeps me far away from high-speed chases.

hooligan01 5 years, 5 months ago

Self Arrest people are ones who have to serve so many days of a jail sentence, its usually only 2 or 3 days at most. And it would be nice to have more details on the "high speed chase", where did it occur (starting point) and how "high" was the speed?

pace 5 years, 5 months ago

Maybe she was one of the Aberdeen fire victims that had been messed around by the complex. Some of them were only offered more expensive apartments, most were bogusly kept from saving their stuff after the fire. Maybe she withheld rent or was evicted on a different issue. 64 doesn't sound elderly to me anymore, well, maybe a little.

greenworld 5 years, 5 months ago

Pace-Maybe your assuming this and she is just a deadbeat that doesnt know how to pay her rent and then elude police and put people's lives at risk. Even if they raised her rent and put her up in another apt she still has the chance to go someone else (cheaper) DA

roggy 5 years, 5 months ago

I was leaving the Hy-Vee on Clinton Pkwy yesterday when I saw a blue car with three police cars following it. It took me a minute to realize it was a car chase. I came home and got online but there was no breaking news so I thought I was mistaken until I read it today. Her car was also smoking - not sure what caused that. She was heading east on Clinton Pkwy so I am assuming she turned south onto Kasold so the chase didn't last much longer.

SWJayhawk13 5 years, 5 months ago

If Aberdeen tried to evict me, I wouldn't physically assault them, I'd cry tears of joy and then thank them! I hate living in that sh*thole!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 5 months ago

"How sad that an elder felt that reacting as she did was the only option. It concerns me that an elder was evicted in Lawrence considering its level of resources and I wonder how it could have been prevented. Where are all those federal, state, and local funded social service people when their needed?"

Maybe she never called them. Maybe she called them and abused those services. Also, why take a tone of blaming social services? She's 64. Unless she's mentally deficient, the task of accessing those services are her responsibility.

I really have a problem with acting like our overused and underfunded social services ALSO deserve our criticism on top of everything else. Those agencies are all staffed by horribly underpaid people (except when staffed by completely unpaid volunteers).

Last comment, and I'm so glad I got to it first: When did Zsa-Zsa Gabor move to Lawrence?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

zsa-zsa, lmao. what's she on, husband #9, or #13?

I love how people are on here excusing her very dangerous behavior, or blaming local social services.

so, how long until we get the obligatory:

"you guys shouldn't judge her, shes a good person who just made a mistake. shes a nice woman, quit being so hard on her! leave her alon. Ive known her for years and shes a good mom, plays bingo, she wud nevr hurt nobodi, so just qit yer nois!"

notwhatyourthink 5 years, 5 months ago

Look at the booking recap.

Another offender not charged by the joke Branson.

They only charged one of the 5 chrages she was booked on.
See the story about the guy with a gun also only filed one charge.

Dio you charge on all of them and then drop some as a plea deal later. If you only have one what are you going to deal with at trial time.

The paper should do a story about amount of charges that the DA drops or doesn't file on.

riverdrifter 5 years, 5 months ago

And everybody's saying that there's nobody meaner Than the little old lady from Pasadena She drives real fast and she drives real hard She's a terror out on Colorado Boulevard

It's the little old lady from Pasadena

Danielle Brunin 5 years, 5 months ago

None of the victims of Aberdeen were that old so it must be due to something else. I'm also sure that the rent wasn't raised for any of them either. I do have to say that I'm surprised those displaced didn't jump in to help her, considering how they've been jerked around by the management there.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, I do feel sorry for her. I have known the utter terror of being homeless, of dropping down into a pit, of losing your center, of being like a rabbit gone tharn on the highway, lost in the glare of the lights, and unable to move. Paralyzed by fear, unable to move.