Archive for Friday, December 4, 2009

Postal service?

December 4, 2009

To the editor:

Is it just me, or is customer service not what it used to be?

For the past several months, I have tried to get the U.S. post office to pay an insurance claim for an item they lost in the mail. With the exception of the local post office, I’ve been sorely disappointed in the assistance I have received.

In fact, just today I was trying to find out what documentation the claims department wanted so they could process my claim. After waiting 20 minutes to speak to someone and then getting yet another story as to why my claim was denied, I couldn’t help but comment that perhaps the postal service’s lack of customer service was one of the reasons they were going broke.

The postal worker promptly told me she didn’t work in customer service, she was in claims, and if I wanted customer service, I’d have to call a different number.

After several moments of stunned silence on my part, I could only think to say, “I rest my case.”

Needless to say, she didn’t get it.

Comments

Marion Lynn 4 years, 4 months ago

Did you have a tracking number?

situveux1 4 years, 4 months ago

I love it when people rave about how great their local post office is. Because that's why I use the post office, to send things to my neighbor two doors down.

Good grief, who gives a rat's behind how wonderful the local service is.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 4 months ago

I have never in my life had a positive experience when dealing with the government at any level. I'm less than excited for the future.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 4 months ago

Use only FedEx and UPS.

Always buy insurance.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

Their invitation to this thread got lost in the mail.....

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 4 months ago

So where's bozo or merrill tellin us how great the government run postal service is? Hmmmm

parrothead8 4 years, 4 months ago

If customer service is bad at the USPS, I doubt it's the government's fault. It's probably the local postmaster's fault. I've lived in places where our local post office was beyond excellent.

I've also been to restaurants, retail stores, auto dealers, and many, many, many other places that weren't run by the government...and the customer service was still bad.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

yeah, corporations are much more helpful in ripping off-er, I mean helping me feel that I got a great deal.

edjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Damn Obama...Now he has screwed up the postal service.

denak 4 years, 4 months ago

I rarely go to the post office. Usually, I just mail any package I have from Dillons. However, on Wednesday, I went to the post office downtown. There were 14 people in line and only one person working the window. This was at 4:30 p.m. I don't know if this is usually the case but considering that it is the Holiday season, there really should have been more than one person working at that time.

Dena

JackRipper 4 years, 4 months ago

rando1965 I don't believe there are any laws but rather etiquette.

JackRipper 4 years, 4 months ago

Funny, I can't tell a whole lot of difference between this and customer service I get from corporations. When organizations are large the level of customer service tends to decline.

Dayna Lee 4 years, 4 months ago

What monopoly? It makes sense really. Now, I work at Dillon's Customer Service, so I have more insight. If you mail something first class it makes the truck or plane, other classes might have to wait for the next one. That's why there's not much difference when it's going somewhere close. There is no difference. Your 4th class package gets the same treatment. The key with making a claim is to be friendly and patient. Be the customer that they like to see and write down exactly what they tell you to bring them to get your claim. Most things can be done online. I get that they messed up, but if you're trying to get blood from a turnip, don't be surprised when you ask someone to do it for you and they are not finding it easy.

toe 4 years, 4 months ago

The monopoly on first class mail should end. Today.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 4 months ago

THE GOVERNMENT AGENCY ON 31ST ST. WHO FLYS THEIR AMERICAN FLAG AT NIGHT WITHOUT IT'S OWN SPOTLIGHT FOR THE FLAG. HMMMMMM IT'S THE LAW.

For a stationary flag displayed on a building, pole or staff, it is customary to fly it from sunrise to sunset. You are only permitted to display your flag at night if it is properly illuminated. This means that you must have a light dedicated to "spotlighting" your flag. A street light or well lit area will not provide enough light. With the right lighting, you can fly your flag 24 hours a day for as many days as you like.

nbnozzy 4 years, 4 months ago

In the brief time I worked for the post office it didn't take a long time to understand the "that's not my job" attitude that permeates in our own local offices. It's almost a war sometimes between carriers and management. The way management treats their workser is abmismal, While bad service is never a good excuse, I am a bit sympathetic towards the hourlies. They go to work everyday with a potential rain cloud over their heads because management will be on their a**es for the slightest thing. Yet management will not abide by their own standards. (oh the dirt I could dish, but won't)

parrotuya 4 years, 4 months ago

"Sorry, that's not my job." "That's above my pay grade." "They don't pay me enough to do that." "Sorry, I just work here." "Close enough for government work."

My favorite from an anonymous Soviet worker (back in the day) "They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work."

Lots of cop-out and lots of reasons for those cop-outs. Anyway, send your package at the UPS store. They are a whole lot nicer and you don't have to stand it line there!

DOWn, baby, DOWn!

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 4 months ago

And this is the government we want running our health care? God forbid. Seriously.

Eybea Opiner 4 years, 4 months ago

Imagine the post office as a health clinic, and you have the "public option."