Archive for Thursday, December 3, 2009

Musings during massacre

December 3, 2009

Audio Clips
2009 KU-Alcorn State
KU basketball dominates winless Alcorn State

Kansas basketball used a 36-0 first-half run to put away Alcorn State. KU moved to 6-0 on the season, Alcorn State 0-10. Enlarge video

Reader poll
Which better describes your emotions after the Jayhawks' victory over Alcorn State?

or See the results without voting

-->
-->

The Alcorn State basketball team shouldn’t feel too bad. After all, even Tiger Woods couldn’t defeat an unbeaten opponent.

And Tiger shouldn’t feel so bad about his facial lacerations. My eyes are bleeding from watching No. 1 Kansas spank Alcorn State, 98-31, in front of 16,300 witnesses. Going into the game, Alcorn State was ranked 347 out of 347 in the best of the computer rankings, the Sagarin predictor.

Then again, if not for that 36-0 run Kansas went on, it would have been only a 31-point game.

What’s a basketball fan to do when watching such a massacre?

Scour the Internet for Tiger Woods jokes.

Why did Tiger crash into a tree and a fire hydrant? He couldn’t decide between a wood and an iron.

What’s the difference between an Escalade and a wedge? Tiger can back up a wedge.

What’s the difference between a golf ball and an Escalade? Tiger can drive a golf ball 400 yards.

What were Tiger and Elin doing up at 2:30 a.m.? They were out clubbin’.

That got old after a while, so it was back to doing what has occupied most of my time for the past two weeks: answering questions about the Kansas football coaching situation.

Do you think Mark Mangino will be back next year?

No way.

When is the 21 days up?

The clock on 21 days hasn’t started ticking. If Kansas fires him with cause — which means it tries not to pay him any of the $6.6 million he has coming — Mangino has 21 days to appeal that ruling. A three-person panel is chosen — one person chose by the chancellor (with the help of athletic director Lew Perkins), one by Mangino, one the two parties agree upon (good luck finding that person).

So Mangino would still be the coach for those 21 days?

No. He would be appealing the “with cause” portion of the firing, not the firing itself.

When do you think the clock will start ticking on the 21 days?

My best guess is it won’t ever come to that. The two parties will agree on a portion of the $6.6 million, and the announcement will be made that Mangino resigned or was fired. Part of the agreement will be that no details of the Lori Williams Report will be released.

How much money do you think Mangino will get in lieu of a gold watch?

Pure guess: more than half the $6.6 million his contract says he has coming.

Is Perkins going to Los Angeles with the basketball team for the game against what’s left of UCLA?

No. Associate athletic director Larry Keating will make the trip.

Can you name a good fit to replace Mangino?

No. That wouldn’t be classy. Mangino’s still the coach.

You have ice cream stains all over your tie, and you’re talking to me about classy?

Fair Point. Houston’s Kevin Sumlin.

How soon will a new coach be named?

Depends on whether the new coach is in a bowl game and insists on coaching in it.

Wouldn’t every potential candidate be coaching in a bowl game?

Not necessarily. Buffalo’s Turner Gill went 5-7.

Comments

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 7 months ago

How about some real teams to play. Alcorn St. is bad really really bad and this game did little to prepare KU for the drive to March madness. After the 36-0 run I was done watching, they should have played Free State, it would have been about the same outcome.

kusp8 5 years, 7 months ago

I've never been a Tom Keegan fan, but this article is a joke. Grow up and write a legitimate article and maybe people wouldn't detest you so much.

beawolf 5 years, 7 months ago

Actually, I thought this was one Tom's better articles. Light, off the cuff, a little humorous and not too serious.

KANSTUCKY 5 years, 7 months ago

I can honestly say I've never fallen asleep during a KU basketball game... until last night. That's about the worst overmatch I've seen since hmm... ever? Good luck Alcorn St. you are going to need it. That one ought to bump our averages up a bit.

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

"this game did little to prepare KU for the drive to March madness"

That's 'cuz it's December.

alm77 5 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, Tom. Domestic violence is no laughing matter.

Michael Stanclift 5 years, 7 months ago

So LJWorld.com has now just become a blog? No wonder journalism is in the state it is in, when did a rambling opinion article become front page news?

Yogi 5 years, 7 months ago

I love to see KU blowouts but this one was too much. Maybe Coach Self can find some teaching tools from this exercise but I'd think the guys are ready for some stiffer competition. UCLA is facing issues so far this year but I won't be surprised by a close game out in LA.

kansaskate 5 years, 7 months ago

Worst Tiger references I've heard all week, and that's saying something. Catch you later, Keegan.

alm77 5 years, 7 months ago

Babboy, you should consider writing a user blog. I'd love to read more of your perspective. Tidy it up a bit and go for it!!

jimmyjms 5 years, 7 months ago

A complete and total waste of time.

Thanks, Keegan. I can never get those 90 seconds back.

jonas_opines 5 years, 7 months ago

"Then, you have the younger Johnson County punks that are just worthy of being punched. (furthermores)"

As a younger man from JoCo who fits all of your factual categorizations, I have to offer some token resistance to your opinion-based categorizations. Admittedly, however, I was quite glad to leave the JoCo bubble.

TNPlates 5 years, 7 months ago

The irony is that Keegan thinks it not classy to name a good replacement for a coach who still has his job, but finds no problem with writing multiple columns about the coach having no chance to stay. Yeah, Tom, you're so classy.

Reading the LJW coverage of this issue makes me feel like I'm reading the National Enquirer or some other trash paper - keeping the story in the paper every day, finding every wronged athlete who didn't play as much as he expected to complain about the coach. This being the paper that runs Dolphs Saturday column every week, I shouldn't be surprised.