Archive for Thursday, December 3, 2009

KDHE suspends license of De Soto day care provider

December 3, 2009

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued an emergency order of suspension against Cheryl J. Schuler Day Care Home, a licensed child care center operated by Cheryl J. Schuler, located at 8820 Waverly in De Soto.

State law allows KDHE Secretary Rod Bremby to issue such an order when, in his opinion, the order is necessary to protect children in the home from any potential threat to health or safety.

Related document

Order of suspension for De Soto day care ( .PDF )

Schuler was issued a day care license in 2001.

A joint complaint survey conducted with the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services on Nov. 17, revealed extremely poor conditions in the home.

Among the reasons for the suspension, which are stated in the order, include:

The home is not reasonably clean or uncluttered and has a strong pet odor due to the licensee housing of 12 dogs, two cats and one bird. The home is not constructed, arranged and maintained to provide adequately for children because the 12 dogs are in kennels which take up large amounts of space in all areas of the home, including the child care areas.

Two caged dogs are in a kennel without a top and at eye level with children.

Five full-time children, between the ages of 1 and 5, and two school-aged children in care have an approximate 11 foot by 6 foot area in which to play and nap.

There are hazards within the home such as a pellet gun, chemicals and home care items with warning labels that are accessible to children.

The order is subject to appeal to the KDHE secretary.

Comments

Alexander Neighbors 5 years ago

funny..... This makes it to the news but the things happening in the yellow house case seem to go unnoticed......

Like a judges order to dismiss the case because the lpd was wrong about the claims of the largest fencing operation in Kansas.......

alm77 5 years ago

What kind of parent leaves their child in these conditions??? Surely the parents can be charged with something as well. yuck!!

Danielle Brunin 5 years ago

Um, didn't the parents see all of these problems when dropping the kids off? It doesn't sound like a home suitable for kids, but I wouldn't have allowed my child to go there in the first place. I know it's probably not that simple, but...

guesswho 5 years ago

Unfortunately, a lot of parents don't have a choice due to lack of affordable (quality) daycare......how sad.

grammaddy 5 years ago

I'm so happy for you and your folks Alex!! Maybe this is the beginning of the end of those problems. I hope more dismissals follow!

Confrontation 5 years ago

It's more likely that the parents who used this provider just don't care.

mr_right_wing 5 years ago

For the majority of parents (please note I did not say 'all') daycare is a choice. A choice not to be a parent. The 'parents' to these kids sadly are the daycare EMPLOYEES; they are the ones most likely to hear the child's first words. (and keep in mind, to most of them this is only a paycheck) They are more likely to be the ones to see the child's first steps. They are the ones who will on a week-by-week basis deal with new emotions a growing child goes through. Your kid doesn't want all those riches and nice things all your extra time takes away from him/her. Having you there for all the ups and down is much more important. Please. be a parent to your child. (If you decide not to, I sure hope when you get older that same kid you neglected sticks you in a nursing home at the first opportunity!)

nuby 5 years ago

was_freashpowder2- from what I read the Judge dismissed the drug charges not the fencing. Woohoo your parents aren't being charged with manufacturing drugs.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years ago

nuby, the Federal prosecutor was counting on charging them with something other than fencing because the only witnesses in the fencing case are known felons(for all kinds of things including lying and forgery) and they all have been given deals in return for testimony.

Most recent posting on the case was done by a blogger and not the ljworld Staff..... http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/mario...

here are ALL 117 documents that have been filed in this case over the last 5 years as the Neighbors await a trail. http://www.scribd.com/people/documents/4230317-jones-walker

lounger 5 years ago

Confrontation (Anonymous) says… It's more likely that the parents who used this provider just don't care.

You hit the nail on the head Confrontation!

Shockem211 5 years ago

mr_right_wing - I am very glad you have or will have the choice NOT to have to find Daycare for your children. Unfortunatly, a lot of people do not have this choice. It's not a choice that some parents take lightly or want to do. I don't send my child to daycare so I can go do whatever and ignore said child. I send my child to daycare so I can provide clothing, food, and a roof over our heads. I feel that having my child in daycare makes me a better parent the rest of the time, as I value every minute with my child more than I may have had I not put my child in daycare. I was fortunate enough to find a wonderful provider at a reasonable cost. It's a matter of really checking references, talking with other parents and not being afraid to pop in without notice. I would NEVER send my child to a daycare with animals, nor would I send my child to a provider that did not allow drop-ins without notice.

kimee008 5 years ago

You know I just opened a daycare this summer and for this very reason to give parents a good honest person a chance to have affordable rates. it's a shame that the parents even contunied to take their child to a place like that. man please if anyone else feels that have a bad provider call ERC and let them help you find a better place that meets your needs. I bend over backwards to help people in need. If anyone is reading this and needs to get their child of the current daycare call me if I can help I surely will!!!!!!! 785-838-3240 Precious Cargo. (not looking to plug my business just trying to help)