Archive for Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Lawrence police investigating explosive device, broken window at Sunshine Acres Montessori School

Lawrence police are investigating an explosive device and broken window at Sunshine Acres Montessori School. No harm was done and classes were not disrupted.

December 1, 2009

Police are investigating reported criminal damage discovered Monday morning at Sunshine Acres Montessori School in southeastern Lawrence.

Sgt. Bill Cory, a Lawrence police spokesman, said school staff members arrived to work Monday and noticed a window had been broken at the school, 2141 Maple Lane. They also reported a strong odor of gasoline.

A police officer found a broken bottle with a rag outside the broken window.

Cory said there was no sign the rag or bottle had been ignited. Police are still investigating the incident.

Anyone with information can call police at 785-832-7509 or the Tips Hotline at 785-843-TIPS.

Comments

zettapixel 5 years ago

WTF? Who does this kinda thing?

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years ago

I agree zetta, man little kids go there what you thinking?

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years ago

Who would do this to a place with little kids?

My guess is other kids. Probably some punk-a**, New Moon watching tweens. Sounds like someone tried to make a molotov cocktail, but didn't know what they were doing.

I figure the only sane people that would do something like this is other kids. Not Montessori age kids...older than that, but a little too young realize how messed up it is to do something like this.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years ago

Either that or some crazy mofo...

somedude20 5 years ago

I learned it by watching you dad. I learned it by watching you

Mihangel 5 years ago

It's a turf war between the Sunshine Acres Montessori and the Raintree Montessori schools....All that peace and understanding talk is just BS...these kids are serious thugs! Raintree controls granola distribution for Lawrence, and Sunshine Acres was trying to muscle in on the action.

Steve Jacob 5 years ago

The building is what 50 feet away from the street. No idea what some puck was thinking,

iloveme 5 years ago

I highly doubt it's Raintree kids. They have better things to do than something like this. It's probably all those public school kids who haven't been taught right from wrong, and whose parents don't care enough about them to put them in seat belts or 5 point harness car seats.

damnitimpissed 5 years ago

Well, the thing is, they did it when the kids weren't there. I bet you they knew what they were doing; it's easy enough to figure out how to make a molotov cocktail; one can merely google it or simply visit a library. My guess is, for one reason or another, someone is trying to scare the living crap out of the school's clientele...who's gonna send their kids there now? I suspect an adult...

Termcd4 5 years ago

I can tell you all one thing for sure. Sunshine Acres is not competeing with Raintree. They are both Montessori schools, but very different. The owners of Raintree actually used to work for the now deseceased owner of Sunshine Acres, Susan (kean) Mozykowski. She ran her school for over 35 years before her death last January.

grammaddy 5 years ago

This is very close to homes and Kennedy Elementary School. I would suspect some of the thugs I've seen roaming th neighborhood.There was a group of them hanging around our little neighborhood pool over the weekend.I guess they couldn't find anything better to do.

lawthing 5 years ago

definate rivalry between Crips and Bloods

curious2 5 years ago

OMG! This new is upsetting!! I hope they find this jerk(s)! I will be waiting!...(My son goes there)... -pissed mom

d_prowess 5 years ago

I like that some people took the crack about it probably being Raintree students seriously... Learn to smile folks...

kberry 5 years ago

Pywacket - My son attends Sunshine Acres and we have been very happy there. It has been a number of years since Susan Mozykowski has been in charge. Shannon Flowers is the director and she's wonderful as is her Assitant Director Brittany Jordan. To think that anyone would have a "beef" with her/them is a little ridiculous. That said, this is not the time to be airing your disgust for the deceased founder of a school that is now under new and extremely capable leadership.

For those of you that are making jokes -What happened over the weekend at SSA is frightening and very serious. It is not something to be joking about. I don't think that this was the result of some vendetta, but rather a misguided group of young adults that have been left to their own devices by their parents.
We live in this neighborhood and it's unfortunate to think that this is the kind of thing that is happening. Time and time again we see children (from grade school to high school) roaming the streets lookng for something to do. Perhaps this is what they have chosen to occupy their time which is frightening and unfortunate. Parents need to be active participants in their children's lives. If they make the choice to parent their children instead allowing the television or computer - or worse - their PEERS to parent them then perhaps this type of thing would not be as prevelant as it is now.

Shannon, Brittany and the teachers and staff at SSA did an excellent job handling what was a scary and potentially very dangerous situation. Their professional and thorough handling of the situation definitely helped us feel secure in our decision to send our son to school on Monday.

lily 5 years ago

That's not the only vandalism that went on in the area. I know of at least 2 people that had Holiday decorations stolen out of their yards Sunday night/Monday morning a few blocks from SSA.

shorttrees 5 years ago

Just curiously, wouldn't a Molotov cocktail be considered an incendiary device rather than an explosive device? Not to belittle the problems caused to the owners and patrons of Sunshine acres, for which I am truly sorry, but more to clarify and point out the inaccuracy of the headline.

5thgeneration 5 years ago

I wonder if there is a fire bug loose on the streets. Fire in East Lawrence, and one at Lake View. Seems kinda fishy to me.