Archive for Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Incident with grenade lands man in custody

December 1, 2009

A 62-year-old man was taken into custody for a mental evaluation early Tuesday morning after an incident in northern Lawrence involving a hand grenade that later was discovered to be a “dummy” weapon.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman, police were called to the 100 block of North Michigan Street just after midnight because a 62-year-old man had been making suicidal comments to another person in the area and was holding an apparent hand grenade. The concerned person called police.

Officers set up a perimeter around the residence. Bordman said the 62-year-old man was standing in the front yard holding the grenade. The man was not making threats.

Officers got him to drop the grenade and took him into custody without incident. Bordman said officers recovered the grenade from the yard and determined it was a "dummy" weapon.

The 62-year-old man was taken into custody and transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for a mental health screening. No criminal charges were filed against the suspect Tuesday.

No one was injured during the incident.

Comments

infidel 5 years, 3 months ago

I did not know that holding a dummy or toy grenade in your front yard would lead to you being taken into custody.

infidel 5 years, 3 months ago

guess I better not take my dummy-toy gernade out in my yard

rousseau108 5 years, 3 months ago

He was taken into custody because he was suicidal, not because he was holding a "dummy" weapon. And it's not like he was "arrested" and taken to jail, he was taken to get help at the hospital.

And LJW, the 100 block of Michigan is not in North Lawrence.

infidel 5 years, 3 months ago

jafs 5 years, 3 months ago

infidel,

If they thought it was a real grenade, and it had gone off, it's likely it might have injured others.

And, strangely enough, suicide is against the law in many places.

Although, what would the punishment be??

billbodiggens 5 years, 3 months ago

Apparently if you are a lawyer in Reno County and pull out a hand grenade in the courtroom you don't immediately land in jail. But, in Lawrence, while standing in the yard..............

rbwaa 5 years, 3 months ago

infidel (Anonymous) says…

I did not think our local hospital had mental health care, or they closed some years back. I do not belive being suicidal is grounds for being taken into custody, which to me is the same as getting arrested. Perhaps killing yourself is a crime? ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ LMH does not have a 'mental health unit' but Bert Nash does have staff who are called to evaluate individuals who may be suicidal and in need of in-patient mental health care in other area hospitals.

By the way, what do you think should be done about someone who is suicidal? Should we just stand around and watch someone kill him or her self? Suicidal actions and threats are grounds for being taken into custody but not arrested.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 3 months ago

LMH does screenings, and will send you somewhere if you need it, which I sure hope this guys does. Would not be surprised if the police make him go in exchange for no charges.

oldvet 5 years, 3 months ago

Suddenly point a realistic-looking toy gun at a police officer and see how long you are standing... or breathing...

LoveThsLife 5 years, 3 months ago

How sad, I really hope he gets the help he needs.

denak 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't know the proper police procedure for dealing with an individual with a grenade but I can't help but think that the guy was trying for a 'suicide by cop' scenario. You just can't flash a grenade around and not expect to get shot. If he would have set that off (although I think by the time he pulled the pin he would have been tacken down) he would have killed or seriously injured himself (depending on the type of grenade) and would have done a lot of damage to his neighbor's property.

Personally, after he receives the psychiatric care he obviously needs, I do think he should be charged with something. If it is illegal to have certain explosive material (ie C-4,) then it should be illegal to have grenades..even a dummy grenade.

Just because this ended with no one being hurt, doesn't mean this guy should get off scot-free.

Dena

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Guess I'll have to quit wearing my dummy grenades on Halloween... and my dummy M-60, ... entrenching tool,... m-79,...desert camo BDU's, ... camo face paint,.... Geez, what's the point.....

acg 5 years, 3 months ago

I love any story that's headline starts with "Incident with grenade..."

BigPrune 5 years, 3 months ago

This guy probably thought the cops would shoot him - that's how a lot of suicides happen.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

Roe, thanks for the picture, now I will know you if I see you at Walmart. Did the man say he was going to blow himself up?

denak 5 years, 3 months ago

Py,

I haven't read about an attorney taking a grenade into the courtroom. I'm going to have to look that up.

As for my post, I wasn't saying that he did pull the pin. I was just trying to make a point about what would have happened had he made a move to detonate the grenade.

Dena:)