Archive for Monday, August 31, 2009

Police receive 2nd report of man exposing himself in Sunset Hill neighborhood

August 31, 2009, 11:38 a.m. Updated August 31, 2009, 4:12 p.m.

Multiple indecent exposure cases reported

A Lawrence neighborhood is on alert after multiple reports of an indecent exposure suspect targeting young girls. Enlarge video

Lawrence police received a second report Sunday about a man exposing himself to children in the Sunset Hill neighborhood, which officers have connected to a similar report on Thursday.

A 13-year-old girl told police she saw a car twice as she was walking home from a friend’s house about 5:30 p.m. Sunday, a police report said.

First, in the 900 block of Wellington Road, she said she saw the door open and a leg extend from the vehicle, police said.

Then, as she approached the cul-de-sac in the 3200 block of West Ninth Street, police said, “she reported that she saw the driver open the driver’s side door, place both of his legs outside the vehicle, expose himself to her and then begin making motions with his hand.”

The girl ran home and notified her mother, who called authorities.

On Thursday, a man reportedly exposed himself to a 12-year-old girl in a parking lot near the playground at Sunset Hill School, 901 Schwarz Road. The incident occurred just after 7 p.m., as the child and a 10-year-old girl were playing near the school.

The 12-year-old told police that a man in a white car opened the door and had his pants down. Both girls reported the incident to their parents, who called police.

In both cases, the suspect was in a small, newer model white four-door passenger car, police said. The man’s vehicle was recorded on surveillance video at the school.

Police said officers have increased their patrols in the area, in response to the incidents.

“It is a serious situation,” said Sgt. Bill Cory, police spokesman. “Things can escalate and we want to prevent that from happening.”

Sunset Hill School officials notified parents about both incidents using an electronic messaging system.

“There is a nervousness, but we need to all be vigilant in keeping our eyes out and having a safe neighborhood,” said Chris Bay, school principal.

In the Thursday incident, the suspect was described as a white man, about 20 years old with black hair and long sideburns.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Crime Stoppers hot line at 843-TIPS.

50YearResident 6 years, 1 month ago

I bet this pervert can't read and doesn't know he has been turned to the Police twice. Next time he will be caught, and there most likely will be a next time!

jimmyjms 6 years, 1 month ago

Nothing funny about this.

Who lets their kids walk to school unattended?

Parents, please think. There are people like this guy out there.

Keep your eyes open, get a license plate number.

Dads, you have the chance, bust this chump in the snot box and sit on him until the police arrive.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 1 month ago

Last week I nearly made a post about vigilante justice. I'm really thinking that I would like someone "other than the cops" to "deal with" this guy. Those who terrorize sometimes need to be terrorized back for them to "get it". We need a torches and pitchfork squad after this guy.

I bet they catch him with this description.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Agno. Ouch man, I like your style, environmentally friendly too! ............................LOL

mom_of_three 6 years, 1 month ago

If the kids are 10 and 12, and you live close to the school, then it should be safe for them to walk unattended. These kids have been taught how to react, and everyone is safe. Maybe with this guy around, parents should be more aware, but you can't be with your kid 100% of the time.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 1 month ago

I gotta say, I'm with the torch and pitchfork idea here. And a meat cleaver!!

Ralph Reed 6 years, 1 month ago

jimmyjms 6 years, 1 month ago

kroy77 6 years, 1 month ago

I would bet that if police were to run a check on every white 4 door compact car from 2005-2010 in Dg county and cross reference it with registered sexed offenders in the county, they would find him.

snoozey 6 years, 1 month ago

Cold weather is coming - that may lessen the problem.

momof2ku 6 years, 1 month ago

Thanks to bus cancellations. My 13 yr old has to walk home.

d_prowess 6 years, 1 month ago

Nice to see the "protect your children at all costs with no regard to reality" group is out today. I know it is your right to do this, but don't complain when your kids lack independence and are still calling you twice a day when they are in their 20s!

Christine Anderson 6 years, 1 month ago

Okay, I'm feeling blonde today. (Although I no longer am) What is "C and B", Ralph? And hey, that remark about Tom was mean!! After all, uh, some of us nice folks out there just happen to be Repubs.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 1 month ago

Oh crap- I just got it. The cost of staying awake for 36 hours at my age! Bad, bad Ralph. Bad Old Hippie. Time out for you. What is the description of the pervert himself, aside from driving a four-door white compact? Do we have one?

appleaday 6 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately there's nothing new about this. Stuff like this was happening when I was in grade school and junior high in the 60's and 70's. it happened to me and my friends in front of one of our houses nowhere near a school. We ran inside and called the police.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 1 month ago

I remember walking home alone in the 2nd grade, maybe even the 1st grade. My brothers were supposed to be with me, but weren't. The biggest threat wasn't the pervs, it was the bullies.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 1 month ago

Notice these events were after school hours. Means the pervert does not like crowds.

It takes a community to get our children through life so everyone,parent or not, keep an eye out for this vehicle and dude. Get a tag number. Then quietly notify LPD.

Some dudes will likely get checked for no reason. If so they can be asked to help.

Reuben Turner 6 years, 1 month ago

i hope they lose the key to the lock of his cell when they escort him in there.

Jeanne Cunningham 6 years, 1 month ago

Did you see the surveillance video from the Sunset Hill incident on Channel 6 news? If you did NOT, watch the replay later tonite. The car is very visible. If this car is in your neighborhood, you would likely recognize it.

I just went to their website and the story there is the old original one. I guess the new one won't be there until after it plays on the later news...

Ralph Reed 6 years, 1 month ago

Tom. First time I've had a post removed. WOO HOO. (tosses confetti)

Wonder which part caused it: my opinion of what should happen to the guy, or my comment about you crossing the county line?

Lori Nation 6 years, 1 month ago

and to think our school board approves of letting our kids walk in this type of environment. SICKO!!

Christine Anderson 6 years, 1 month ago

Tom, thanks for being concerned, but yes, I knew Ralph was being humerous.( LOL) That's why I gave him some back. (ha,ha) I'm pretty sure Mr. Reed has an alibi, because from reading previous posts, I deduce he is no longer in his 20's. Now, onward with catching the pervert!!

Kris_H 6 years, 1 month ago

Getting the word out is one of the best ways to deal with this.

Getting a tag is good, but that's not as easy as it sounds, especially if you're already a bit upset and/or a child.

As far as the suggestion to cross-reference, Kansas Department of Revenue files don't include the color of the vehicle, so you'd be trying to cross-reference all 4-door cars in Douglas County (and was it a DG county tag?). Not really feasible. I imagine someone is already taking a look at the registered offenders.

Somebody, somewhere knows who this guy is, I'm betting. They need to drop a dime on him sooner rather than later.

Scott Overfield 6 years, 1 month ago

With all the money that the school district spent on their camera systems I would expect better video.

Ralph Reed 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I do Tom. I was actually hanging out in your county. Don't worry -- I had my passport with me.