Archive for Monday, August 31, 2009

Kansas Insurance Commissioner Sandy Praeger endorses Sen. Brownback for governor

August 31, 2009

Kansas Insurance Commissioner Sandy Praeger has endorsed U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback for governor in 2010.

Praeger, a longtime Lawrence political figure, is considered one of the most moderate Republican officeholders in the state. Brownback is considered a conservative Republican.

“Sam will work diligently to promote job growth and high quality education, the cornerstones of a vibrant Kansas economy,” Praeger said.

She added, “I’ve had the honor of working with Sam on both state and national issues. He is a dear friend, and I am proud to endorse his candidacy for governor.”

Praeger has said she would seek her third four-year term as insurance commissioner in 2010.

Comments

63BC 5 years, 3 months ago

Praeger and Brownback---two good eggs.

Like most Kansans, I have voted for both of them before and will happily do so again.

blindrabbit 5 years, 3 months ago

Ding dong; wonder if doctor hubby had any influence. I thought Sandy had more sense than this; sounds like a little medical conflict of interest.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 3 months ago

Can't say it enough: Brownbacking leads to Santorum.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 3 months ago

What happened to the previous article and comment section on this?

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

Most candidates will talk up job growth and higher education.

However Sam does not like public education but more expensive private schools = abuse of tax dollars

Sam likes TABOR: www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2005...

Sam has been a supporter of Bush Reaganomics aka Wrecknomics which wrecked the nations economy on his watch. Has he spoken out against this fraud?

Sam is Anti Choice/Womens Rights

Sandy Praeger may eat this early endorsement.

Sam is a smooth talkin rhetoric man.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

"Fraud certainly was very important in the housing bubble of recent years. But the housing bubble—like bubbles generally—did not depend on fraud, and most of its development was there for everyone to see. With the principal problems out in the open and with the authorities not only ignoring those problems but contributing to their development, one might say that the situation with the housing bubble was worse than a Ponzi scheme. And Madoff bilked his marks out of only $50 billion, while trillions were lost in the housing bubble.

A bubble is similar to a Ponzi scheme: early participants can do well while later ones incur losses; it is based on false expectations; and it ultimately falls apart. But there need be no fraudulent operator at the center of a bubble. Also, while a Ponzi scheme depends on people giving their money to someone else to invest (e.g., Madoff), people made their own housing investments—though mortgage companies and banks made large fees for handling these investments.

Often, government plays a role in bubbles. The housing bubble was in part generated by the Federal Reserve maintaining low interest rates. Easy money meant readily obtainable loans and, at least in the short run, low monthly payments. Also, Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan denied the housing bubble’s existence—not fraud exactly, but deception that kept the bubble going. (Greenspan, whose view was ideologically driven, got support in his bubble denial from the academic work of the man who was to be his successor, Ben Bernanke.)

In addition, government regulatory agencies turned a blind eye to the highly risky practices of financial firms, practices that both encouraged the development of the bubble and made the impact all the worse when it burst. Moreover, the private rating agencies (e.g., Moody’s and Standard and Poor’s) were complicit. Dependent on the financial institutions for their fees, they gave excessively good ratings to these risky investments. Perhaps not fraud in the legal sense, but certainly misleading.

During the 1990s, the government made tax law changes that contributed to the emergence of the housing bubble. With the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, a couple could gain up to $500,000 selling their home without any capital gains tax liability (half that for a single person). Previously, capital gains taxes could be avoided only if the proceeds were used to buy another home or if the seller was over 55 (and a couple could then avoid taxes only on the first $250,000). So buying and then selling houses became a more profitable operation.

And, yes, substantial fraud was involved. For example, mortgage companies and banks used deceit to get people to take on mortgages when there was no possibility that the borrowers would be able to meet the payments. Not only was this fraud, but this fraud depended on government authorities ignoring their regulatory responsibilities. "

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

On Friday, September September 26, 2008, John McCain said the following:

"I know the veterans, I know them well, and I know that they know that I'll take care of them, and I have been proud of their support and their recognition of my service to the veterans, and I love them, and I'll take care of them, and they know that I'll take care of them."

This statement--made near the end of Friday's debate--immediately infuriated veterans across America and overseas. In fact, Senator John McCain has a very clear, long, and illustrious history of not supporting troops and veterans one bit.

Now, I've seen legislative examples, I've watched the YouTubes, and I've lived this lack of support in more ways than one. But now, for the first time, I've tried to compile as much of this non-support as possible into a single document--from a variety of sources--complete with links, quotes, and video clips. It's something that readers often ask me about, so I hope this helps. I'm sure there's a lot missing, so feel free to add more in the comments. But for now, I think this should give us a good start in exposing John McCain's abysmal of record of supporting troops and veterans. Here we go:

Senator John McCain's Record on Troop and Veterans' Issues

Voting Against Veterans ( BUSHCO/Repubs voted against vets and active duty many many many times)

sustainabilitysister 5 years, 3 months ago

WHAT???!!! I was under the impression that Praeger had some sense about her!

GardenMomma 5 years, 3 months ago

Merrill, did you cut & paste to the wrong article? What have housing bubbles got to do with Sandy Praeger endorsing Sam Brownback?