Archive for Sunday, August 30, 2009

Police investigating central Lawrence hit-and-run

Pedestrian suffers minor injuries in Sunday morning accident

August 30, 2009

Police were investigating Sunday morning a vehicle-pedestrian hit-and-run accident that sent a 27-year-old Lawrence man to the hospital with minor injuries.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman, the victim was crossing Tennessee Street on foot westbound near the intersection of 13th and Tennessee streets when he was struck by a passenger car traveling southbound on Tennessee.

The man, who suffered minor abrasions to his knee, could not provide details on the appearance of the suspect vehicle. The driver of a nearby car was able to identify the vehicle as a tan passenger car.

The suspect vehicle reportedly was last seen turning east onto 18th Street from Tennessee.

Bordman said police were reviewing information on the possible suspect vehicle.

The call was dispatched at 2:35 a.m. and police arrived shortly thereafter. Medics transported the man to Lawrence Memorial Hospital at about 2:50 a.m.

Comments

Robert Burnham 4 years, 7 months ago

LJ, how about a description of the vehicle, we had a witness didn't we? The guy might be right next door! And even if the pedestrian was right; i.e. in the crosswalk, whatever....if you get hit by a car, right or wrong, YOU get the worse end of that deal. I see these kids just step out into a cross walk because THEY have the right of way...but again, even if you're right, you're the one jacked up!

ilkeeze 4 years, 7 months ago

I reside quite close to where this accident occurred and was woken up when emergency personnel arrived/exited the scene. And I am grateful that this accident did not result in a fatality as did the hit and run at 13th and Kentucky in the Fall of 2006. I am in agreement with mickeyrat that a large issue for this area is lighting, especially in regard to Tennessee Street. This particular intersection is in dire need of proper illumination. Following the incident in 2006, the lighting was improved at the intersection of 13th and Kentucky, and I can only hope that this incident may help entitle the same action. Also, I agree with smitty up to a point. A crosswalk would be beneficial, however, there are two that exist on the block prior, one at 12th and another at 13th, on Kentucky Street. And I can guarantee you, that as a pedestrian, these crosswalks for the most part go unnoticed. This disheartens me due to the vicinity of the grade school and church in between said crosswalks. The only affect on the speed of traffic in this area, I have witnessed, is when the school zone lights are activated. Aside from this, the motorists still treat Kentucky and Tennessee Streets as the autobahns they believe them to be. Sadly, it takes accidents like these for issues such as this to be brought to light, but how many more will it take for an actual change to take place? I would implore people to try to be a little more aware of their surroundings, but I fear this only falls on deaf ears. But I will say this, wherever your final destination may result, it is never worth risking my or your own life to get there.

JackRipper 4 years, 7 months ago

Again, let's make people who wish stuff have to live it themselves. I suppose kat you have an attached garage and drive right into your house each night but you can decree that people walk an a block in order to get across the street. Of course the fact that speeding and running red lights and oh, should you try a little walking to see how many people think that your perfect definition of a crosswalk, even with big bright white lines and a special stop behind strip is where you stop your car! Like those you rant on about the dangerous bicyclists now we add pedestrians. It's funny at any time, any street in Lawrence you can find people speeding because their lives are so important but the pedestrian, moving slow has to walk extra to go across the street. And what about the major streets in Lawrence where the pedestrian isn't even given a thought since following your guidelines they may have to walk an extra three blocks just to get to a crossing spot. Mandatory walking for a month, then you tell me how it should be for pedestrians.

kat66044 4 years, 7 months ago

Here's the definition of a crosswalk from page 62 of the Kansas Driving Handbook. "Crosswalk—Any portion of a roadway distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other markings, or that portion of a roadway that would be included by the connection of lateral lines of sidewalks at intersections."

You can find the whole handbook at http://www.ksrevenue.org/pdf/dlhb.pdf

I wish pedestrians would cross at the corners instead of mid block. I also wish pedestrians and drivers would obey traffic signals. All in the interest of avoiding collisions.

Seamus 4 years, 7 months ago

Jack-- interesting points. It's a curious thing to note that in a city where getting around usually doesn't take much more than 15 minutes we have people saying that things still aren't fast enough. To save a motorist seconds we'll make a pedestrian walk an extra 5 minutes. Combined with the fact that people aren't even safe from being killed on a sidewalk, it's small wonder why no one wants to walk anymore.

JackRipper 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow, what a bunch of dumbarses. So if someone lives across the street in the middle of the block and parks across the street they are suppose to walk all the way to a crosswalk that could be blocks away, hope that an idiot car isn't going to stop in the crosswalk as most do in Lawrence, and then cross and head back? People who spend their entire life driving in this town and think they have any clue about what pedestrians ought to be doing, especially when a jackwad in the car, which is a lethal weapon, can be doing anything from driving drunk to talking on their cellphone to putting on makeup, should be mandated to spend a month on foot exclusively to see how idiotic they are. There aren't crosswalks painted on most corners in Lawrence so to get down the street to the one that is painted on means jaywalking, as the idiot motorist describes it, each corner. Unfortunately Lawrence is hardly a progressive town when the majority are clueless about things as basic as what it is like to cross a street in this town.

Seamus 4 years, 7 months ago

Danimal, these aren't my ideas-- they're from the minds of Duany/Plater-Zyberk, an accomplished architecture duo who founded the New Urbanist movement in the early 80s. The traditional grid pattern of two-way streets are actually much more effective at handling volumes of traffic than arterials, and this has been proven in various studies done over the years. Additionally, our towns and cities need to be rescaled to human ambulation. Thanks to the contrivances of the Happy Motoring epoch, we've made walking and cycling more difficult, thus discouraging people from going out and getting daily exercise. Again, all of this is stuff that has been confirmed through research.

ars7188 4 years, 7 months ago

Point Proven. People are too eager to point fingers at 'victims' and 'offenders' when police reports are publicized.

Would someone being investigated for a 'hit-and-run' make comments about it online from their personal computers? I think not. Not a smart assumption there Sigmund.

Objectivity is a rare thing.

Sigmund 4 years, 7 months ago

ars7188 (Anonymous) says… "While I agree with many of the postings about jaywalkers and unsafe drivers on Kentucky and Tennessee streets I also wish comments would be made under the assumption that all of those involved are, 'innocent until proven guilty.'"

Hi ars7188, I notice you created an account and login just to comment on this story about innocent until proven guilty. Any time you hit a person with a car and leave the scene you are guilty of hit and run, with almost no exceptions.

If you happened to have damaged to your tan passenger car and your friends, family, or body shop notice, you can give them your whole spiel. If you were involved you might want to do the right thing and turn yourself in now, otherwise you're a bigger POS than we thought, just saying. But you already knew that.

Danimal 4 years, 7 months ago

Seamus, those are the worst ideas I've ever heard regarding these streets. Why not just put a roundabout at every intersection? Better yet, why not just ban cars all together? In a town that already suffers from too few major traffic arteries the solution is not restrict the few we have and increase congestion.

More illumination, and get rid of the parking on the side, maybe turn it into a bike lane or turning lanes. The slum lords of the student ghetto will howl, but tough luck acquisitive yuppies. This neighborhood wasn't designed to handle the population it currently has. Besides the fewer KU students that are driving, the better. I miss the days when only a relative handful of college students had cars.

ars7188 4 years, 7 months ago

I know that many pedestrians around these streets at that time of night at times under the influence themselves.

The pedestrian in this case was not crossing at a cross walk and was apparently idling in and around the street.

Smart? I think not.

While I do not condone the driver leaving the scene, the situation doesn't sound like a traditional 'hit and run' scenario to me. I'm sure the Lawrence police will uncover the truth as there are multiple witnesses who can recall what happened.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

the officer says they're looking for information on this vehicle.

how many tan "passenger cars' are in east lawrence?
when I read this I was struck by the use of 'passenger car' instead of 'sedan' or 'four-door' etc.

not much to go on it seems.

I'm really really glad this pedestrian is only slightly injured. this sure could have ended worse. ambulance transported him but all he suffered was a banged up knee. better safe than sorry.

agree that if somebody knowingly leaves scene of a car-ped accident it sure implies they are scum!

however, given what we know, the tan passenger car driver might not have known that he'd clipped the pedestrian because its so dark in places there, the driver might have been driving while sleepy, or sadly, driving under the influence.

Seamus 4 years, 7 months ago

Studies have shown that one-way streets are actually less safe as it encourages higher speeds. More stop signs probably makes sense as well. However, do not eliminate parking-- it will only make the road wider and therefore even more amenable to higher speeds.

slowplay 4 years, 7 months ago

Eliminate parking on BOTH sides of the street. Reduce the speed limit to 25 and add at least 2 - 3 more 4 way stops between 19th & 7th.

smitty 4 years, 7 months ago

Unless indicated by a stoplight or in a cross walk the pedestrians do not have the right away. Any problems on both Kentucky and Tennessee can be addressed by a concentration of ticketing, both peds and traffic.

As our traffic division concentrates ticketing in residential side streets such as Maine between 6th and 9th for over 20 mph speeders.... they can initiate a ticketing concentration on peds/traffic stop education based on the data that demonstrates the pedestrian initiated traffic and safety problems in that area. Make the (KU ghetto) crossings a priority as Maine has been. KUPD might want to get involved sisnce most of this areas situation is due to KU centered housing, bars, traffic,etc. No increase in time spent, no increase in personnel, just an addition to the rotation of ticketing sites.....or......

The city could paint in a cross walk or two ....... put up a Share The Road with the Peds signs and call it a done deal.

gsxr600 4 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like he didn't look before crossing the street/jaywalking? Any citations issued?

mickeyrat 4 years, 7 months ago

Other than the usual suspects (drunk drivers, drunk pedestrians, speeding) my main concern with Kentucky & Tennessee streets is lighting. It seems there is a street light (maybe) every block and a half, mostly hidden by the canopy of trees.

Even stone cold sober at 30 mph, I avoid those streets as much as I can between midnight and three a.m. I just can't see all the pedestrians.

Scattered 4 years, 7 months ago

My daughter, grandson and I were broadsided on Tennessee at noon by a woman who was "trying to change lanes" and talking on a cellphone.

After the accident, we were nearly hit by several people and cursed by many while waiting for the police to arrive- and we were parked at the curb!
I agree, Jayhawklawrence, those two streets are very dangerous.

Would much larger fines help enforce speed limits and other basic driving rules that are so often ignored here? I've never seen such a display of poor driving skills as I do daily in Lawrence. Well, maybe in Texas.......

farfle 4 years, 7 months ago

"Central Lawrence?" Maybe 50 years ago.

jayhawklawrence 4 years, 7 months ago

There have been many accidents and too many fatalities on this street and on Kentucky Street for as long as I can remember. These are dangerous streets because people drive too fast for the conditions. There are many visual obstructions. Cars and trees make it hard to see people walking or turning on to the streets.

I wish there was a way to better orient people about how to drive, bike, and walk safely in this town. I recommend nobody ride their bikes along these streets. I wouldn't.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 7 months ago

What a chicken-shirt! No matter if the driver or the pedestrian was at fault, to drive off is the cowardly thing to do.