Archive for Friday, August 28, 2009

Man, 46, flown to KC-area hospital after fall in east Lawrence

A man was flown to a Kansas City-area hospital following an apparent fall in east Lawrence.

August 28, 2009, 12:18 p.m. Updated August 28, 2009, 2:09 p.m.

Injured man transported to KC following fall

Emergency crews work to transport a man who was found injured in an apparent fall to a Kansas City hospital. Enlarge video

Emergency crews load a man onto a Life Star air ambulance Friday in an open field just west of the DCCCA building near the intersection of 23rd and Harper streets. Witnesses said the man collapsed while exiting a nearby convenient store.

A 46-year-old man was flown to a Kansas City hospital Friday afternoon after he was injured because of an apparent fall near 23rd and Harper streets.

At noon, a Lawrence police officer was in the area when someone pointed out a man who had fallen to the ground and was in distress outside a convenience store at the northeast corner of the intersection, police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said.

Medics called for a LifeStar helicopter ambulance at the scene. It transported him to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. Murphree said police do not suspect foul play.

The man’s name and hometown were not released Friday.

Comments

otto 5 years, 3 months ago

Roger you should get a medical alert bracelet that says "I would rather die than receive proper medical care" that way emergency responders will know to just let you lie there and die.

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 3 months ago

How much money does the town spend on helicopters? I thought the patients got billed for it. In fact I know they do, but I don't know if the city somehow also gets billed.

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 3 months ago

This city doesn't have a neurosurgeon in it's physician ranks and if this was a head injury life flighting him/her out was probably the best thing to do.

skinny 5 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence does not have a trama center. You have to travel to Kansas CIty or Topeka for such treatment.

meggers 5 years, 3 months ago

roger,

If your brother told you that LMH does not treat appendicitis or kidney stones, he is a liar. I know several people who have been treated at LMH with those particular ailments.

As for the LifeStar helicopter, the patient is billed for that service.

Grumbling about the emergency medical care provided to a patient, when you know nothing about the patient or their medical needs, sort of makes you look foolish.

poppygirl 5 years, 3 months ago

hmm....I wonder how many of the billed patients actually can/do pay for the service, therefore I am sure us tax payers do have to pickup the tab. So yes, I have the right to bitch about it !

supercowbellninja 5 years, 3 months ago

No, I think we should all heed Roger's wisdom here - he clearly knows what he is talking about based on his brother's expert narrative.

Also note the use of the exclamation point in triplicate above by 'ol Rog. Use of this punctuation pattern indicates a high IQ level in individuals who use it in casual typing.

I also heard once that all the doctors at LMH are afraid of blood so they send all their patients to KC via helicopter and stretch limos on the city's dime.

The Internet never lies.

I also hope this person is ok.

hail2oldku 5 years, 3 months ago

hmmm....I wonder how much it would cost to transport by ambulance to LMH only to find out they have to be Life-flighted to KU-Med or Topeka. I'm sure you'd bitch more about that additional expense poppy.

Or the additional expense that would be necessary for LMH to have the trauma center, would that be more palatable to you?

berkman 5 years, 3 months ago

Kansas only has 5 trauma centers in the state. There are 3 level 1, KU Medical Center in Kansas City, and Via Christi Regional Medical Center and Wesley Medical Center in Wichita. And two Level 2 centers, Overland Park Regional Medical Center and Stormont-Vail HealthCare in Topeka. Those are only only hospitals in the state to handle serious trauma. Most of the smaller hospitals will only work to stabilize the patient for transport to one of those hospitals unless it will be quicker to transport directly.

otto 5 years, 3 months ago

27 August 2009 at 12:23 p.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink donald_gilchrist (Anonymous) says…

Wow, my brother and I were at AllStars just prior to this fight breaking out. Man did we get hammered last night, thanks to the good folks at the Eldridge Hotel! It was not a good night to make our usual ride to Paradise or the Outhouse because of the rain, so we stopped at AllStars. The fight started about a half hour earlier inside because one of the guy's girlfriends was dancing all hot and got a little too close to this big dude and he was really getting a good show. The boyfriend obviously couldn't handle the girlfriend stripping and flirting with the crowd. Anyway, if you've ever lost a nice shoe, you know this is nothing to joke about.

kansasfire911 5 years, 3 months ago

If you want a level one trauma center in Lawrence, then get your check book out. I'm sure they will name a the trauma center after you. Just be happy we have a couple of trauma centers in this state, some have zero.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 3 months ago

Well yes, we all have the right to speak our minds, but... Meggers is correct; there are always factors re the individual patient's condition we don't know. For ex. Cop comes upon person who has fallen. If the person can't even repeat his/hername, does not respond to verbal commands, then they are in pretty bad shape and need a trauma center. If the person can give their name, the day and year, and the current president, their level of injury may, and I said may, be less severe. The medics will radio LMH, and the dr's there will give instructions to either bring the person to LMH or life-flight straight out. And, sometimes the person would go to LMH long enough to be stabilized, and then sent to a trauma center. I just hope this individual will be okay.

otto 5 years, 3 months ago

just playing around, I will suggest removal.

das 5 years, 3 months ago

Well with the traffic around there and the new homeless shelter close by.......start paving a landing pad! I've heard that cars and heads don't mix well. As far as those people paying for the chopper......right.....dream on.

sinverguenza 5 years, 3 months ago

roger_gilchrist (Anonymous) says…

"Otto, I honestly do not see what my brother and my going to All Stars has to do with this article. "

I believe it's relevant as your self-proclaimed drunk driving arse will likely either need to be life-flighted or cause someone else the need some day.

Munsoned 5 years, 3 months ago

Das-- No kidding on putting a heli pad right there. With the brilliant construction about to happen on 23rd street, it will probably be the kids going to/from Kennedy School getting run over by rush hour commuters looking for a detour. Heck, let's just put some lights and a big "X" on one of the fairground fields now......

hail2oldku 5 years, 3 months ago

That's still creates a dangerous situation for other people donald. What if, in trying to avoid you and your soused brother a vehicle has to go left of center and hits another vehicle? Or in avoiding you they hit something else? What if they don't see you after you've fallen on your @ss, or you fall on your @ss right in front of them? You don't think that there isn't some type of mental trauma that an individual might suffer? That is one "fine" tradition you and your brother have. What a couple of winners.

otto 5 years, 3 months ago

Making it to the Paradise on bikes drunk would be tough.

rydadcam 5 years, 3 months ago

Believe me, if you ever have a head trauma, and I pray you never do, the KU MedCenter is the only place you want to go to. These people are some of the best in the world and we are fortunate to have them available to us. So people should quit complaining about the helicopters, especially if they what to live through these situations, a few minutes usually saves your life.

Christina Hoffman 5 years, 3 months ago

LMH sucks! We walked in with our child having a seizure and problems breathing the nurse, came out and immediately said "sounds like bronchitis" after 10-15 mins of checking our child out and us explaining to him what had been going on. He looks at our child and gets a funny look then jumps up and immediately calls for other doctors..come on 10 mins of watching!!...oh then they wanted to life flight us to Childrens mercy...it was lighting so we got an ambulance ride instead.(This was the beginning to a really rough road with our child medically) This is just the beginning on our list of why Lawrence Doctors and hospitals suck. I could go on... and on..about the wrong doings. So please Life flight everyone that needs anything besides a band aid out of Lawrence!

otto 5 years, 3 months ago

Man the stories you can tell - keep going. Urinating in public - what a hoot.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

This thread reads like an episode of Cops now. How in hell did that happen?

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Just for the record, LMH was still removing kidney stones 3 months ago...

they got mine

hawkergrl 5 years, 3 months ago

I can't believe out of the last 38 comments on this article of a man being hurt and all anyone can comment about is a life saving helicopter picking him up. Get real. I hope this man is ok and pray for a speedy recovery...

Maybe all of the previous comments would be more validated if this was an article about lifestar and the services provided by them, but it's not..... hope everyone has a safe weekend!

kidscount 5 years, 3 months ago

All of those talking trash on LMH and this guy being life flighted to KC, dont even know all the circumstances.

kmat 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey Donald - Don't trust Dr. Ramburg. He sucks. I went to him with an ingrown toe nail (he was the only dr on duty to help walk ins). He informed me that feet gross him out and he prescribed me antibiotics and told me to set up an appt to see a other doctors there that will look at feet. He seriously wouldn't look at my foot. And he calls himself a doctor. I know many others that have gone to him once and never returned. Dr. Burt is a good guy, but they never quit accepting new patients so you have to wait forever, even with an appt to get in. If you like to spend 2+ hours for a basic doctor's visit, go to First Med. Want to see a good dr and get in and out, go elsewhere.

nobody_important 5 years, 3 months ago

There was more to this than a fall .. my son is the "someone" who told a policeman (who was in his car) to call an ambulance .. my son was behind this man as he walked out of the store after the man bought some cigarrettes .. he then walked around in a circle then fell down and there was blood coming from his ears and mouth and nose .. sorry to be graphic .. my son told the officer he thought this person was having either a seizure or aneurysm with all the blood .. not sure that it was just a "fall" per se that caused this .. but I'm also not a Dr and again sorry for the graphics .. so apparently the helicopter was necessary and I too hope that this person is ok ..

Christine Anderson 5 years, 3 months ago

Kmat-I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience with Dr. Ramberg. My mother and my sons' stepmom could not be more pleased with him. Stepmom was dx'd in Jan. with M.S. Her symptoms initially could easily have been overlooked and chalked up to something else. Ramberg was a bulldog in going after the cause of the symptoms and in getting her in to the neurologist a heck of a lot faster than the neuro's office wanted to put her in. He even called a retired neurologist collegue of his to get his opinions.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

"we are older gentlemen who like to have a fun time."

donald_gilchrist (Anonymous) says…

That's weird that feet gross him out so much. He lanced an anal gland abscess on my you know where and didn't so much as bat an eye. Some people have their hang-ups, good thing for me his was feet and not bung holes..

Donnie apparently 'weewees' in public.

Rodge tells us they get hammered and then try to ride their bikes fully marinated.

they apparently frequent All Stars.

... gentlemen?

I think not.

boy, the things you can learn about people reading one of these threads! whew!

LMH does just fine with appendx and kidney stone, and a lot of heart stuff too.
you'd need a lot more than the addition of 1 neurosurgeon to make a trauma ctr here! try three neurosurgeons, minimum. try other specialists. many many millions of $s of specialized equipment for assessment, treatment, emergency intervention.

my experience is very good with lmh. once the ER did screw up on my wife and very nearly killed her. but considering the situation, that was apparently an easy mistake to make.

so, the man at the convenience store: "too ... many ... slim ... jims!" I'm sure that's what did it.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

oh judging by the 23rd and Iowa women's accident article,

Man, 46, flown to KC-area hospital after fall in east Lawrence / LJWorld.com

should read: Man, apparently 30 years of age, flown to KC-area hospital after fall in east Lawrence / LJWorld.com

suzy 5 years, 3 months ago

I sincerely hope this guy is OK. The important thing is that he got sent to the right place that is best equipped to handle these types of situations. Let's not bag on LMH--this is a human life we are talking about who probably has family and friends that are worried about him and want the best possible care for him.

misslawrence 5 years, 3 months ago

LMAO @ OTTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one shoe??? geez, how bout he lost money,dignity,but gained public humiliation by his real name and stuff,.,.Otto putting everybody out today!!

Jean1183 5 years, 3 months ago

"Hey Donald - Don't trust Dr. Ramburg. He sucks. I went to him with an ingrown toe nail (he was the only dr on duty to help walk ins). He informed me that feet gross him out and he prescribed me antibiotics and told me to set up an appt to see a other doctors there that will look at feet. He seriously wouldn't look at my foot."

I'm in the medical field and have personally used First Med several times. If Dr. Ramberg was the only doctor on duty that means it was probably after "normal" business hours. What kind of person would WALK IN for an ingrown toenail and expect it to be removed??? I'm sure your toenail had been ingrown for some time.....MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!

BE CONSIDERATE OF THEIR STAFF TOO. DON'T WALK IN IN THE EVENING (ESPECIALLY JUST BEFORE CLOSING TIME) WITH SOMETHING RIDUCULOUS THAT YOU'VE HAD FOR WEEKS. I BET YOU WALK INTO RESTAURANTS JUST BEFORE CLOSING TOO.

middlemgmt 5 years, 3 months ago

We live in a small town so we don't have a trama center. LMH does a wonderful job. I have been in the ER with my family a few times and have been treated very well. I also had my daughter at LMH. I hope this man is okay and I'm glad KU Med is close enough that we can get help there when we need it!

Godot 5 years, 3 months ago

I hope Dr. Ramberg files a defamation of character lawsuit against KMAT. He has grounds to do it.

MollySue 5 years, 3 months ago

I have been to LMH (and other's in other cities and states) on several occasions and was treated very, very well. Before anyone posts negative feedback get your facts straight before sharing your negative thoughts. If you had an actual bad experience then fill free to share. Lawrence has one of the best ER's around and they were wonderful to me when I was in need. They brought Docs from KC to me for a heart problem so they DON"T call an helicopter for every problem they encounter. They have a very caring and dedicated staff, and your EMT's and LFD are the best ever.

Susan Mangan 5 years, 3 months ago

Several people on here have complained about calling a helicopter for a "minor fall", but they obviously didn't watch the video (or understand what they were watching, if they did). The patient being transferred from the ambulance to the helicopter, in the video, was intubated and being bagged. That means they weren't breathing, and that does NOT happen with a "minor fall." Get a grip, people.

beachbumin 5 years, 3 months ago

Roger and Don, do you live under the bridge? like to ride your bikes drunk after seeing the naked girls?? Did one of you try grabbing that little girl awhile back? Get the He@@ outta here!!!!!

beachbumin 5 years, 3 months ago

really again- if you are that unhappy with the medical services in Lawrence, Then move away!!! Bye Bye

8ball 5 years, 3 months ago

they dont know his name but they know his age?????