Archive for Friday, August 28, 2009

40 years ago: Students barred from enrollment because of hair

August 28, 2009

Lawrence High counselor Max Stalcup said most students barred from enrollment because of overly long hair had received haircuts and had enrolled. He had several reports about the violations of the “dress code” but said no major problems were expected.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 4 months ago

Ah, yes, brings back memories of my high school days. It was probably in 1971, and on the first day of school, nearly 1/3 of all the boys in school were turned away for the length of their hair. What a waste of time and energy.

By the next year, the dress code was abolished.

Mary Darst 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh, if that was the only problem today. I remember those days. Now that I'm getting older I seem to be becoming more narrow minded. Our school has a dress code, but rarely enforces it. It might make one of these kids mad, then their parents come and complain and then they don't do well on their state testing.

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

They put vending machines and a juke box in after '66. I felt cheated!

grammaddy 5 years, 4 months ago

RoeDapple 5 years, 4 months ago

Those are skirts? I thought they were just wide belts!

;-)

Mary Darst 5 years, 4 months ago

And the short shorts and low low cut tanks. And only 12 and 13 yr. olds. And then the BLACK look. iky!!

Mary Darst 5 years, 4 months ago

And, OH, Autie. how your Dad loved that long hair!!!!!

Jaylee 5 years, 4 months ago

grammaddy (Anonymous) says…

"I have bigger fish to fry these days. I can't believe the length of a kid's hair was such an issue back then, I'm more worried about the length of a girl's skirt these days. Can't have them attending school looking like a hoochie-mama."

when i was IN high school and it was slightly more appropriate to speak to high school aged girls this way, we used to ask "Is that a shirt or an eye-patch?"

haha that is still the only real line i can think of when i see a girl wearing something nasty.