Archive for Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Police: Man shot two men who were trying to rob him at mobile home park

Police released information Wednesday regarding the shooting incident that occurred during the weekend. The two men who were transported via air ambulance to Kansas City area hospitals were reportedly trying to rob the man who shot them.

August 26, 2009, 1:22 p.m. Updated August 26, 2009, 4:36 p.m.

A robbery victim was responsible for Sunday night’s double shooting at a south Lawrence mobile home that left two men with life-threatening injuries, police said.

The motive was among new details Lawrence police released Wednesday about the shooting, which occurred about 11:40 p.m. Sunday at the Easy Living mobile home park, 3323 Iowa.

Officers did not name the two who were shot, but identified them as a 19-year-old Lawrence man and a 20-year old Kansas City, Mo., man. They were taken by air ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital.

The men “were shot when they were attempting to rob an individual,” police said in a news release. Police said they interviewed the 24-year-old man who fired the shots and recovered the gun he used, but did not arrest him.

A police spokesman said the investigation into the incident is ongoing as officers are waiting to talk to the men who were shot. An update on their conditions was not available Wednesday.

Police said additional people may have been involved in the robbery and they’re seeking more information from the public.

If you have a tip, call Lawrence Police at (785) 832-7509 or Crimestoppers at (785) 843-TIPS.

Comments

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

66044 (Anonymous) says…

“Anyone breaking in my house will be shot. Period.”

“you will be told once to leave, then i will shoot”

Im glad you considered my opinions.

As far as “till the clip is empty or you're down” thats a personal decision you will have to make at the time. The DA will consider all information and your action and they and possibly a jury will decide whether what you did or the extent of what you did was justifiable."

Marion writes:

OK.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

gogoplata (Anonymous) says…

Who's we sucka?

Smith and Wesson and Me."

marion writes:

You know, right now I don't on an S&W but know of an old guy who wants to sell his '66 production Model 29.

Fine shooters, especially with a medium load and a heavy bullet and will take your head clean off.

LOL!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

Roads_Collar (Anonymous) says…

shortone (Anonymous) says…

“Since when do babysitters need to keep guns on themselves and are prepared to shoot would be robbers?”

Since robbers come prepared to break into homes and threaten the well-being of citizens. That's when!"

Marion writes:

What you said!

66044 4 years, 7 months ago

"Anyone breaking in my house will be shot. Period."

"you will be told once to leave, then i will shoot"

Im glad you considered my opinions.

As far as "till the clip is empty or you're down" thats a personal decision you will have to make at the time. The DA will consider all information and your action and they and possibly a jury will decide whether what you did or the extent of what you did was justifiable.

beobachter 4 years, 7 months ago

66044, you come into my house in middle of night, uninvited, I'm afraid. So if you come in, figure to get shot. I'm not going to ask if you merely want to rob me, I'm am going to assume the worst, you will be told once to leave, then I will shoot till clip is empty or you're down.

66044 4 years, 7 months ago

Umm actually i registered for the purpose of sharing my opinion on the increase in tolls on the turnpike. Considering your posts within this blog and others i have read as a non-member, you are a troll. Thankyou for the warm welcome.

"Anyone breaking into my house will be shot. Period. And my kids are smart enough to know better" Makes me think two things 1. lets all hope your kids are smart enough and 2. your ass may one day find yourself in prison with a huge lawsuit on your hands.

In the end thinking that shooting to kill home burglars at first given chance will solve burglar issues is ridiculous at best. Robberies will continue the only difference is that local criminals will step up their means of committing burglaries. Such as wearing armor, bringing more criminals to help, using bigger and better guns. This will result in even more deaths during robberies and even more violent crimes in douglas county, Im not against shooting a home invader, so long as you feel you had no other choice.

Matters little to most you anyway. Cases like these only matter for gun owners to reassert their rights as gun owners it seems anymore..

beobachter 4 years, 7 months ago

66044, 4 posts tells me one thing. You are a friend and enabler for these 2 scumbags. What makes you aware of exact circumstances of incident? Sounds very much like you only got scumbag side of what happened. Further, anyone breaking into my house will be shot. Period. And my kids are smart enough to know better.

66044 4 years, 7 months ago

Furthermore since there is federal laws that prevent a drugdealer from being able to possess a gun for protection, shouldnt if this person uses the gun for such even if legally for non drugdealers it should still be illegal for drugdealers. Then again as long as no drugs was found at the scene the drugdealer could justify his shootings only to soon after returnin to selling drugs and being prone of robbery. Come on folks even criminals are smart enough to know not to rob a trailer when there are million dollar homes 2 miles down the road....

66044 4 years, 7 months ago

Lets do remember that not everyone entering your home even forcefully and/or in the middle of the night are doing so with the intent to rob you. Would not be a great thing to shoot your neighbor of 30 years while he is attempting to make entry to your home due to a fire you was unaware of. Or shoot one of your kids whom was trying to sneak back in the house at 3 in the morning. Lets also remember that their is a huge difference between using deadly force to protect you property/ego and using deadly force to protect ones life. Just because your home is being burglarized does not mean your life is in danger and you should use deadly force, only and if only you have no other choice should one ever use that option. In these two cases one strange thing has stood out above all. The home owner/occupant shot the intruders prior to the intruders ever making entry in the home. This makes no sense to me.... Not even a drug dealer would sit around with a gun all hours day and night in the window awaiting what he thinks is people coming to rob him. So this leads me to believe that the people being robbed was anticipating being robbed and chose to deal with it using a firearm rather than notifying the police department. Assuming these houses are drug houses isnt there felony laws that are in place to prevent drug dealers from having guns for protection.

Roads_Collar 4 years, 7 months ago

powershopper:

always remember - flashlights don't kill people, people kill people.

gogoplata 4 years, 7 months ago

Who's we sucka?

Smith and Wesson and Me.

gogoplata 4 years, 7 months ago

Say hello to my little friend!

powershopper 4 years, 7 months ago

Having been the victim of a home invasion I don't blame the shooter one bit. It is a demoralizing and scary experience to go through. Thankfully, the robber made some noise, woke me up and I hit him over the head with a flashlight (I keep it by the side of the bed) and myself and one of my roommates kept him pinned down until the police arrived.

My girlfriend, now my wife, was laying next to me in bed at the time. I can't imagine what the home invader would have done to us had he not made noise and woken up. Shortly after this all occured my girlfriend and I were talking about our experience and I told her if I would have had a more deadly weapon I would have killed the motherfcker in a heart beat. Looking back on it I am glad I didn't have something more deadly but nobody, I mean nobody, fcks with my familiy in my own home! I am sure this is how the shooter felt. These two little pricks got exactly what they deserved. Bravo I say, bravo!

mdfraz 4 years, 7 months ago

Collar got his $.02 in before I did. I agree with his assessment.

mdfraz 4 years, 7 months ago

As to shooting multiple times, police are taught to shoot until the threat is neutralized, not necessarily until the magazine is empty. That may be one shot, it may be 5 or 10. And yes, you can blow out a whole bunch of rounds in a matter of a second or two. Just because I fire 6 or 8 or 10 rounds, it doesn't mean I hit anything, and even if I do, the human body can take a lot of rounds, especially if they are smaller caliber, and still be a threat. So, the fact that they were apparently hit 6 and 4 times respectively does not in any way make this excessive in and of itself. Unlike TV, one bullet does not always stop the bad guy. Anyone who has been trained to use a handgun has been taught this.

I hope I never find someone breaking into my house, and if I do, I hope I don't have to pull the trigger, but if someone comes at me with a weapon, be it a gun, knife, or even baseball bat, they will be leaving on a stretcher if I have any say in it whatsoever. Will it be hard to deal with shooting and/or taking someone's life? Probably. But guess what, I'm still alive to have those feelings. At the end of the day, that's the bottom line.

You can bet that this (apparently) proper use of a handgun won't be reported as a positive incident for gun rights. Best we can probably hope for is people on message boards pointing out that this is exactly the kind of reason why people should be allowed to own guns in this country. It may suck that that's the case, but it's reality, so let's deal with it.

TrooGrit 4 years, 7 months ago

Whether the individual in question was or wasn't a drug dealer is irrelevant to the situation of him defending his house (and young child) against armed criminals that arrived uninvited at his home. I understand the point, and you could raise the issue that the individual that was being robbed was morally no better than the young men he shot, but again, it's immaterial. I would hope that if there were guns and drugs in the trailer, that the police would have obtained a warrant, and that there may be a third arrest out of it, but he would still have the right to defend himself, is how I see it.

Roads_Collar 4 years, 7 months ago

dulcinea47 (Anonymous) says… "Beobachter, yes, self defense is what it takes to stop them. Did it take shooting four or six times to stop these guys? Really?"

Sounds to me like the person being attacked did exactly what he/she should have. The fact that they shot so many times tells me two things at least: 1) the defender was likely scared out of his mind to the point where he discharged his weapon either until it was empty or until the attack was stopped. 2) He kept on shooting until there was no more danger.

The ONLY reason and the ONLY time one ought to have the right to use a firearm against another person should be if, and only if, there is reason to believe the defender believes themselves to be in danger of loss of life or severe injury. If one has that belief, it is stupid to "wing 'em" or shoot the weapon out of the attacker's hand. That is just plain stupid and happens only in cops and robbers movies. Not in real life.

Good sense and good training tell you to not to stop defending until the attack is stopped. Also I might mention that when the danger is imminent, the adrenaline kicks in and things move real fast. It interesting to me that the defender had the presence of mind to engage both attackers, also that the defender was apparently above average in shooting ability - the number of hits on target under severe stress conditions, was exceptional.

Gun control is being able to hit your target

slappedyomomma 4 years, 7 months ago

Jean1183 (Anonymous) says…

"Also, I will probably empty the chamber of my .38 if someone breaks into my home. That would be 6 shots for some of you who don't know." ............

that is at least 4 shots too little. get yourself an automatic for cryin out loud. most 9mm hold up to 15 in the clip, and have about the same velocity as a .38 (around 950 fps). plus, the ammo will be cheaper, if you can find it right now.

my Sig P229 in .40S&W holds 12 rounds at around 1200 fps. makes bigger holes at a faster rate.

that being said, 10 hits on 2 perps IS pretty good shooting, from a purely clinical perspective...

MacHeath 4 years, 7 months ago

oh yeah, and I , for once, agree with Marion 100%... but, I prefer a .45.

MacHeath 4 years, 7 months ago

Very rarely does anyones home get robbed at random. Are you folks saying that if a person has something he obtained in a nefarious manner, he has no right to defend himself, or his family?

Roads_Collar 4 years, 7 months ago

shortone (Anonymous) says…

"Since when do babysitters need to keep guns on themselves and are prepared to shoot would be robbers?"

thebigspoon 4 years, 7 months ago

If someone breaks into your house and you use a gun to defend yourself I don't think it really matters how many times you fire your gun. I doubt if anyone on here has ever been in that position. I do own firearms and would not think twice about defending my son and myself it this were to happen to us. Better to be tryed by 12 than carried by 6...

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Even if there were drugs in this house, the perps were all the way wrong!! No one has the right to rob any one else. If they chose to participate in that life, that's their business. Eventually their Karma will bite them in the arse. This guy was the BABYSITTER! I feel he did what was right to protect the child.

iloveyoutoo 4 years, 7 months ago

Just some general thoughts here.... This is strictly a "what if" situation.
I was wondering what you guys would think if you were to find out that this was the home of a drug dealer and that maybe there were drugs and money inside?

I only ask that because I often read comments where people are saying that they wish thugs would kill each other. And also because there was a young child in the home. Would these people still be heroes even though they possibly endanger their child every day by participating in this kind of stuff?

Again, I'm not saying that is the case. This is a "what if" scenario that I would like your opinions on, but I do agree with some of the posters on here that it seems very strange that they would rob this place at random. I know of Louis through my boyfriend and I know that drugs and money are at the top of his My Favorites.

coolmom 4 years, 7 months ago

i would hate to shoot someone to protect me or mine. i would however do so.

75x55 4 years, 7 months ago

Sometime you do what you have to do. Doesn't mean you have to like it, want it, or look for it.

blue73harley 4 years, 7 months ago

This is the kind of gun control that I support. Nice shootin'.

stuckinthemiddle 4 years, 7 months ago

just to be clear on this... I would fight for the right for folks to be as frighteningly ignorant as they want...

ironhorse66 4 years, 7 months ago

although I am proud of you for being there weapon in hand the day they let females in the military, I doubt "our" tax dollars paid to train you. Maybe our grandparents?huh old gal?

M. Lindeman 4 years, 7 months ago

dulcinea47 (Anonymous) says…

rdragon writes:

When you take a hand gun course, you are instructed that if you must defend yourself. You shoot til your firearm is empty.

Michael Capra 4 years, 7 months ago

everyone needs to thank this guy

Jean1183 4 years, 7 months ago

"even if there were drugs/drug money as the motive for the home invasion, not a reason to not defend oneself, especially if there was a child in the home"

I agree with Jane. If they hadn't entered the home they probably wouldn't have been shot (geez....people, think about it).

TheJokerObama 4 years, 7 months ago

...and the suspects are?????????

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

OK, I'm not going to tell you a pack of lies; I'm just going to tell you the way it is..............

...force your way into my house and if I can, I'll use whatever I have readily available to blow you back into the street and straight to Hades if I can and I got really, really good sutff available.

You may count on this because of the fact that a large stack of your tax dollars was spent teaching me how to do this very thing.

Kryptenx 4 years, 7 months ago

Jane, try reading the comment you're referencing again. Truthbtold agrees with you. o.0

Jane 4 years, 7 months ago

truthbtold: these were not boys. they were legal aduts, ie; men. stop trying to minimize the crime they tried to commit.

even if there were drugs/drug money as the motive for the home invasion, not a reason to not defend oneself, especially if there was a child in the home.

i'm asking for a pistol for my birthday this year, and some lessons.

redneck 4 years, 7 months ago

You guys need to take this a little more serious. I don't know if they deserved what they got, but sh_t happens when you try to rob somebody. I would think these parties all knew each other, or they had acquaintances in common. I’m not buying that they just picked a residence at random. Since some of you don't understand why they were shot so many times, I'll explain it to you. Guess how many people have been killed by someone who was thought to be dead. I don't know, but I'll bet it's quite a few. Even police are taught to shoot until they are not moving or the clip is empty. Guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. I hope all wood-be thieves take this as a warning, because I guarantee there are a lot of law-abiding citizens packin guns these days. I am thinking about joining them in the near future.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 7 months ago

There was a reason they were trying to rob him. Yeah, it is very similar to the east shooting.

Pay_N_My_Way 4 years, 7 months ago

The first thing I thought of when I read this story was "drugs were involved" as far as the multiple shootings, not enough facts. It sounds to me as if the shooter was using a 22 caliber. If the two DORKS that broke in were on crack, pcp or meth they could have kept coming at the shooter. therefore, he kept shooting until they either stopped or retreated. If the shooter was using a 45 caliber or a shotgun, one shot one kill. I would say the two DORKS are lucky to be alive. With the facts given, too bad the DORKS did not die in this incident and the mobile home resident should be given praise for protecting his family.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says…

What about you?"

Marion writes:

I'll try.

Ya know, a little more civility around here wouldn't hurt nay of us and go a long way towards honest, reasonable and rational communication.

beobachter 4 years, 7 months ago

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 7 months ago

This thread is hilariously trolltastic.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

beobachter (Anonymous) says…

Geez, Marion, scary, both of us had posts removed on same thread. "

Marion writes:

Yeah, well watch your internet mouth a bit and it won't happen again.

truthbtold 4 years, 7 months ago

Okay so i know the the boys who got shot and with that being said i would have done the same thang and fired at them. The trailor had a 2 year old child in there. Are all you people on here that dumb to think he should have not fired a gun at these 2 boys. I would have done the same thing. These to boys are not good boys, there in trouble all the time and have nobody to tell them right from wrong. I hope the parents are happy now and take a stand to telling them you might not be so lucky next time.

beobachter 4 years, 7 months ago

Geez, Marion, scary, both of us had posts removed on same thread.

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

"You're all such men of action. And toughness. And mouse clicks."

Hahaha. Best line of the thread.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

"Question-an earlier poster wrote that the family is being evicted because the babysitter shot the alleged robbers?" - misplacedcheesehead

American Residential Communities is a private residential community, sometimes they have some pretty restrictive bylaws as terms of their lease. Breed specific pet rules and etc. One would have to check their bylaws, if this is self defense, maybe they have a rule against it?

beobachter 4 years, 7 months ago

krystalk 4 years, 7 months ago

STUCKINTHEMIDDLE:

"I would love to shoot some P.O.S. coming into my house to do me wrong.”

this is such a frighteningly ignorant statement…

haha good come back! You pretty much made my night

Newell_Post 4 years, 7 months ago

Give that man a medal the key to the city.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

XEPCT (Anonymous) says…

Marion couldn't bang slang if he looked in thesauruses, being one of those let's not and say we do, dudes."

Marion writes:

WhatintheverlovingH*ll are you writing about?

Agnostick 4 years, 7 months ago

consumer1 (Anonymous) says…

"Further, I am a survivor, not a victim. If someone comes into my house, they are there to do me harm. A assure you, once again. I won't be the victim. I have no problem protecting my family. You on the other hand are a victim who will allow someone to rape your wife or daughter while you shiver in the corner."

Wow. I'll bet that last sentence gave you a much needed... uuhhmm... "climax."

Was it good for you?

Please, keep typing. All sorts of fun to be had at your expense. :)

Agnostick 4 years, 7 months ago

consumer1 (Anonymous) says…

"Wrong on both counts. It is a horrible thing to kill another human being. But, it is a job that requires dedication to not being the one killed. As far as my literacy goes, i don't really care whether you like me or not or if you approve of the way I think. I know many liberals want to be the thought police."

I have no desire to be any sort of "thought police."

You exercised your First Amendment rights. So did I.

As to your ongoing poor judgement, keep showing yourself up for a fool. I'm probably not the only one laughing at you. ;)

XEPCT 4 years, 7 months ago

Christine Anderson 4 years, 7 months ago

Question-an earlier poster wrote that the family is being evicted because the babysitter shot the alleged robbers? Why? If, when the police conclude their investigation, they state the shooting was justified, then that should make a difference. This family should not be evicted because of the sitter's actions, esp. if it's determined he acted within the law and his rights.

igby 4 years, 7 months ago

This is one side of the story, I tend to doubt, nonetheless, that there is a lot more going on behind the story. I have to ask just why? Robbery? Yea! Right!

A drug deal gone south perhaps is more believable.

Rob a guy that lives in a trailer?

Yea! Right!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

mrbig 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow. This is such a liberal town when people on here are debating about whether or not 2 robbers should have been shot x amounts of times. Ridiculous. They were criminals, and they deserved what they got. They would have deserved it if he killed them too, in my opinion.

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

boy is it rare that I agree with Beo: absolutely right here!

four or six shots, so what? ten shots in a handful of seconds. maybe the two thugs were jacked up on: meth; crack; or PCP.
its a lot harder to stop somebody under the influence of those!

big headline should be:

• Use of a gun stops violent crime!*

guns do stop crime, like this, or more often in preventing them from starting.

as to the glee. well Name et al, you liberals with your soft touchy-feely judges, who for example give a slight sentence for rape locally, and let violent criminals out far too soon, you and your judges are really at the root of this glee.

if we can't trust the justice system to properly punish the perps, and protect us from them, then of course the gun in the hand starts to feel a bit more welcome.

wonder: was it baby Louie, or the KCMO gentleman who took the lead?
being baby Louie, I'm thinking we owe KCMO an apology on this incident!

and this has nothing in common with the east lawrence double murder cited by one very seriously misguided poster.

oh, and refs to "him" in reference to shooting the perp who breaks into your house, that's sexist, so stop it I say.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

name (Anonymous) says…

"Marion, Luckily for me i do not dictate my life according to the christian bible. I should have said “you shouldn't purposely kill somebody instead of you cannot purposely kill somebody”.

Marion writes:

I respectuflly disagree.

There are cicumstnaces in which one should kill anoather; if another is threatening your life or the lives of others.

Kill them if you can and kill them you should.

I mentioned the Bible only because so many people start in with "Thou Shalt Not Kill" nonsense, which is an incorrect translation, resulting in a very different meaning.

When properly translated the Commandment reads, "Thou Shalt Not Murder" and there is a world of difference between the two.

There are both ethical and moral compulsions which occasionally demand the taking of life and when such compulsions present themselves, they should be followed with haste.

yankeevet 4 years, 7 months ago

Lawrence is turning out like the wild wild west!! Shootem and lootem............where is Wyatt and Hickcock??

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

The person doing the shooting could have fired all those rounds in a couple of seconds. Shooting once and pausing to evaluate the bad guy's wounds may not have been the shooter's primary concern.

mom_of_three 4 years, 7 months ago

I am reading this comments and saying "wow."
I understand the right to defend your home, but some of you are too darn happy about it. Two less bad guys in the world, I guess you would be thinking.
If the first shots created the life threatening injuries, then it makes me wonder why there were 8 more. But I don't understand the need to carry a gun in the first place.
Will be interesting to get the rest of the story.

name 4 years, 7 months ago

Marion, Luckily for me i do not dictate my life according to the christian bible. I should have said "you SHOULDN'T purposely kill somebody instead of you cannot purposely kill somebody". I hope you understand the pettiness of you arguing that you have the legal and religious right to kill someone on purpose. If someone dies from someone defending them self that is self defense. If someone intentionally kills another person that is homicide. You are taking my post and twisting it. The law in which you are distorting to defend your opinion does not support killing someone on purpose in self defense. It is simply saying that if you kill someone while defending yourself you are protected under law. There is a huge difference.

Agnostick 4 years, 7 months ago

As to the robbery issue... the suspects made the choice, and they're paying the consequences.

Moving on...

scootterxlch 4 years, 7 months ago

Is it not the legal obligation in Kansas to flee before you have the right to shoot in self defense? I believe in defending home and hearth but curious as to the legal standing on the subject???

Agnostick 4 years, 7 months ago

consumer1 (Anonymous) says…

"I have been in the military and yes I have shot and killed before. Not affraid to protect my rights from weak A** liberals either. IF you don't like what I write, write your congressman and see if you can have more rights taken away. KMA 10-4"

My father-in-law is a Vietnam veteran, numerous decorations and citations, and a gun owner, as well. He could probably exercise his First Amendment rights, just as you are... and he could say the same things you are.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't, though... as he's far more honorable, articulate, and intelligent than you seem to be.

So... when you say that you've "been in the military, my first thought is, you know... "Kinda doubt it."

Giving you the benefit of the doubt on that point... my next thought is, "dishonorable discharge."

flux 4 years, 7 months ago

This smeels alot like the double homicide that was on learnard street a couple years ago

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

name (Anonymous) says…

" I agree self defense is very necessary, but it has to be done within reason. You cannot purposely kill somebody."

Marion writes:

Wrongo, Boyo!

The law specifically allows an individual faced with deadly force or who has been placed in deadly fear to exercise deadly force in self-defence.

It's called "justifiable homicide".

Even the Christian Bible permits it.

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

consumer1, I'm supposed to write my congressmen because people would just love-love-love the chance to kill another human being in their own home? Foolishly, you took what I wrote as a condemnation of the home owner's actions, which it wasn't. He did what he felt was necessary to protect himself, and fortunately for him it worked.

My comment has to do with your obvious desire that some day you have the opportunity to try to KILL somebody in your home too! Am I really supposed to write my congressman because some weirdo gets excited while hoping he too gets a chance to shoot someone? What is he supposed to do, outlaw "foolishly ignorant?"

Further, I've never once met anyone who has been in war, has killed others, yet is now hoping that he could kill again, but this time within his own home. This type of bravado is usually left for those with active imaginations but no real-life experiences. I'm just saying ...

No, I believe most rational gun owners would look at a situation like this and simply say, "I hope I would be as fortunate in a similar instance." To hope it happens, however? That is just blood lust. Go buy a video game already.

beobachter 4 years, 7 months ago

dulcinea47, were you there? How do you know what it took to stop them? Have you ever been in this situation? Not knowing caliber of weapon, maybe so. A 22 is not a stopper, a 45 is.

N_Trenched 4 years, 7 months ago

SRJ, did you read the article? If the robbery victim has a felony on his record he would have been arrested for unlawful possession of a gun. The police did exactly what was warranted in this situation. Common sense tells me that if a home invasion is taking place, I am going to take action to stop it from hurting me or my loved ones. Who cares how he got the gun? The point of the story is that the gun was used for its intended purpose, self defense! Why not question the actions of the robbers? They know why they got shot, The true victim has to live with the nightmare of a home invasion and haunting memories of having to take that violent step which he was forced into. Bottom line, the victim has a right to own that gun and you shouldn't question that!

Bunny_Hotcakes 4 years, 7 months ago

I sure hope that if I get robbed I have a few of you internet tough guys around to defend me. You're all such men of action. And toughness. And mouse clicks.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 7 months ago

TrooGrit 4 years, 7 months ago

I see a lot of people on this thread commenting about how "bloodthirsty" people are, to my knowledge not one of them has proposed to go out and kill someone, merely to defend their homes and property. When you want to make that a crime, and make people unable to defend themselves, you are ripping at the very fabric of American Society! Viva la 2nd amendment, I don't want to kill anyone, but if they come to my house and expect a "welcome in, and take all you want"...well, that'd just be a short sighted move, on their part. I'll leave it at that.

name 4 years, 7 months ago

beobachter- I am in no way pointing fingers at anyone involved in this story. We know barely anything about the details. My post was in response to what people on this board were saying about how they have a desire to shoot and kill people. I agree self defense is very necessary, but it has to be done within reason. You cannot purposely kill somebody.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 7 months ago

I like to present all augments to the table, that's all. Sure one of the first questions police asked was why 6 shots in one and 4 in the other? And how many shots in the back or when they where down did they receive. And how did he get the gun, was he a felon, ect.

I think the families of these two want all the facts, so I don't blame the police on getting every bit of information they can.

beobachter 4 years, 7 months ago

name, self defense is not murder, they come into my house to commit a crime. What it takes to stop them is self defense. Just make sure they aren't around to whine about it.

Defender 4 years, 7 months ago

Shut up barrypenders, you're just a trollish fool.

"I have been in the military and yes I have shot and killed before. Not affraid to protect my rights from weak A** liberals either."

Sorry consumer1, but you have no idea what the political affiliation of these morons is. They got what was coming to them, period. I for one am glad they got the trouble they came looking for, wish it happened a LOT more often.

But, partisan stupidity is just that, partisan stupidity.

bellamber 4 years, 7 months ago

Take Back the Night Benefit Concert at the Granada all ages doors open at 7 show is from 730-midnight 5 bands for $5 Live music for a great cause! help end sexual and domestic violence

name 4 years, 7 months ago

This has to be one of the scariest threads I have ever read. Not only do I fear a robbery, but even more so fear one of you blood thirsty people, who have this very unhealthy and strange desire to kill, will have a bad day and take innocent lives. I have never had the "dream to hopefully get the opportunity to shoot and kill somebody someday." That is not a normal dream. That is such a scary thing to say. Defend your homes please, but do not take a robbery as an open invitation for murder. It is not a Murder for Free card.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 7 months ago

There is only one sin, only one. And that is theft.
Every other sin is a variation of theft. When you kill a man, you steal a life. When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth.
When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. There is no act more wretched than stealing.

barrypenders 4 years, 7 months ago

Obama the Poser of US is trying to be progressive by saving mankind with health care. He also needs to demand that all guns are confiscated to save those that are attacked by vicious right-wing gun toters. Rebublicans need to show compassion when talked to by progressive people.

Endure,

Darwin bless,

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

yankeevet 4 years, 7 months ago

Marion;

u are exactly right on the shooting techniques;;;........been there; done that; and it works.....lol

BuenaVista 4 years, 7 months ago

Welcome to Kansas, you aren’t in KCMO any more.

GardenMomma 4 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if this is at all related to the other shootings there earlier this week. Isn't this the same mobile home park?

Danimal 4 years, 7 months ago

Well, looks like some good old street justice to me. You break into someone's home, sometimes you get shot.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 7 months ago

Never, ever aim for the head.

Always aim for what is called "center mass"; the "A Zone"; the center of the chest.

After placing two there, "THEN" you can come back at the head if you have to.

firstamendmentrights 4 years, 7 months ago

so much bloodthirst on this thread, lawrence is getting more dangerous all around.

Shane Garrett 4 years, 7 months ago

Kayla 1 wrote yesterday: " And i'm not saying that they didn't do wrong on their part, because they did, they made a horrible decision and now are going to have consequences BUT that doesn't mean the home owner and baby-sitter didn't do wrong either. " I think in most cases once the trigger is pulled, it is reported that usually the shooter does not realize that he/she kept on pulling the trigger until the clip is empty. IMHO, if the victim is not dead by then, filled with emotion, one might find themselves stomping the offender.

GardenMomma 4 years, 7 months ago

1029, if you ever do that, "[put] one right between his eyes," I hope the sight of it haunts you for the rest of your life. Defending yourself, even if it necessitates deadly force, is your right, that's true; but sounding so gleeful about the opportunity is downright terrible.

GreatAmericanZero 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm fairly confident with my .40 caliber Hydra Shock. Doors always locked and I haven't given out any keys. If someone breaks in I automatically know they aren't supposed to be there. Hope the scenario doesn't happen, but burglars really shouldn't assume home owners aren't armed. Oh, forgot to mention my firearm has night sights.

shortone 4 years, 7 months ago

Do all Lawrence citizens have something to be worried about with these two latest home invasions? Are robbers randomly coming to the door, knocking or not and demanding money? Since when do babysitters need to keep guns on themselves and are prepared to shoot would be robbers? Something doesn't smell good with either one of these stories.

1029 4 years, 7 months ago

Hell yeah! It's every American boy's dream to hopefully get the opportunity to shoot and kill somebody someday. Just like in the movies. I hope somebody tries to rob me someday. I won't think twice before putting one right between his eyes.

musbhiorlo 4 years, 7 months ago

srj, the robbers didn't have to carry a weapon for the shooting to be legal, as long as the home owner felt his/her life was in danger he/she had a right to defend his/herself

zettapixel 4 years, 7 months ago

Right on. Way to go protecting your home and family. I wish you all the best!

compmd 4 years, 7 months ago

Thewayiseeit,

Going up is not always the answer. 7.62x25mm JHPs can be devastating, and body armor that stops .45ACP won't stop them.

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

Death to all robbers! Jail time isn't enough! Kill!!! Killl!!!!! KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that the robbers were shot and the robbery stopped isn't enough for some of you? Really?

Consumer1, if you would love to shoot somebody so badly, why don't you join the military already? Describing your statement as "frighteningly ignorant" is absolutely correct.

thewayiseeit 4 years, 7 months ago

His aim was not too bad. From what I hear one was hit 6 times and the other hit 4. They probably didn't hold still after the first shot or two. Pretty good shootin I'd say. May want to think about going up in caliber though, it would be nice to have 1 or 2 shots do the trick.

EasyTiger 4 years, 7 months ago

Before all you gun enthusiasts start championing a victory for gun advocacy maybe you should wait and see what exactly these two geniuses were trying to steal and whether the gun is legal. The man lived in a trailer, obviously they weren't after the jewels and the original Matisse.

I mean, I too wish these pieces of sh*t would have died from their injuries as I would anyone who tries to rob someone, but let's not prop the other guy up as a saint just yet. If he was just protecting his family, great. If he was protecting some white powder, not so much.

TrishaT 4 years, 7 months ago

The sad thing is now the trailer park is evicting them for the babysitter protecting their home and child now they may be homeless. isnt that messed up.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

hopefully the last few unsuccessful home invasions will be a tip to would-be thieves. you'll either get shot or arrested. quit trying this stupid sh!t.

stuckinthemiddle 4 years, 7 months ago

"I would love to shoot some P.O.S. coming into my house to do me wrong."

this is such a frighteningly ignorant statement...

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the update LJW, but I think most of us had already figured this out.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 7 months ago

He is not off the hook yet. If they did not have a weapon, and the two wounded have an excuse that's not laughable, you never know what might happen.

yankeevet 4 years, 7 months ago

good shooting!!! if the dog don't get them; the gun will.................lol.....lock and load........

gsxr600 4 years, 7 months ago

Exactly what I was thinking ^. Too bad he didn't get 'em in the face.

consumer1 4 years, 7 months ago

Yeah Baby!!! Finally someone acted within their rights. I would love to shoot some P.O.S. coming into my house to do me wrong. Way to go!!!

GmaD321 4 years, 7 months ago

That's awesome. Too bad he didn't have better aim.