Archive for Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Police: Man shot two men who were trying to rob him at mobile home park

Police released information Wednesday regarding the shooting incident that occurred during the weekend. The two men who were transported via air ambulance to Kansas City area hospitals were reportedly trying to rob the man who shot them.

August 26, 2009, 1:22 p.m. Updated August 26, 2009, 4:36 p.m.

A robbery victim was responsible for Sunday night’s double shooting at a south Lawrence mobile home that left two men with life-threatening injuries, police said.

The motive was among new details Lawrence police released Wednesday about the shooting, which occurred about 11:40 p.m. Sunday at the Easy Living mobile home park, 3323 Iowa.

Officers did not name the two who were shot, but identified them as a 19-year-old Lawrence man and a 20-year old Kansas City, Mo., man. They were taken by air ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital.

The men “were shot when they were attempting to rob an individual,” police said in a news release. Police said they interviewed the 24-year-old man who fired the shots and recovered the gun he used, but did not arrest him.

A police spokesman said the investigation into the incident is ongoing as officers are waiting to talk to the men who were shot. An update on their conditions was not available Wednesday.

Police said additional people may have been involved in the robbery and they’re seeking more information from the public.

If you have a tip, call Lawrence Police at (785) 832-7509 or Crimestoppers at (785) 843-TIPS.

Comments

GmaD321 5 years, 3 months ago

That's awesome. Too bad he didn't have better aim.

gsxr600 5 years, 3 months ago

Exactly what I was thinking ^. Too bad he didn't get 'em in the face.

yankeevet 5 years, 3 months ago

good shooting!!! if the dog don't get them; the gun will.................lol.....lock and load........

Steve Jacob 5 years, 3 months ago

He is not off the hook yet. If they did not have a weapon, and the two wounded have an excuse that's not laughable, you never know what might happen.

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the update LJW, but I think most of us had already figured this out.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 3 months ago

"I would love to shoot some P.O.S. coming into my house to do me wrong."

this is such a frighteningly ignorant statement...

Stuart Evans 5 years, 3 months ago

hopefully the last few unsuccessful home invasions will be a tip to would-be thieves. you'll either get shot or arrested. quit trying this stupid sh!t.

TrishaT 5 years, 3 months ago

The sad thing is now the trailer park is evicting them for the babysitter protecting their home and child now they may be homeless. isnt that messed up.

thewayiseeit 5 years, 3 months ago

His aim was not too bad. From what I hear one was hit 6 times and the other hit 4. They probably didn't hold still after the first shot or two. Pretty good shootin I'd say. May want to think about going up in caliber though, it would be nice to have 1 or 2 shots do the trick.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

Death to all robbers! Jail time isn't enough! Kill!!! Killl!!!!! KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fact that the robbers were shot and the robbery stopped isn't enough for some of you? Really?

Consumer1, if you would love to shoot somebody so badly, why don't you join the military already? Describing your statement as "frighteningly ignorant" is absolutely correct.

compmd 5 years, 3 months ago

Thewayiseeit,

Going up is not always the answer. 7.62x25mm JHPs can be devastating, and body armor that stops .45ACP won't stop them.

zettapixel 5 years, 3 months ago

Right on. Way to go protecting your home and family. I wish you all the best!

1029 5 years, 3 months ago

Hell yeah! It's every American boy's dream to hopefully get the opportunity to shoot and kill somebody someday. Just like in the movies. I hope somebody tries to rob me someday. I won't think twice before putting one right between his eyes.

shortone 5 years, 3 months ago

Do all Lawrence citizens have something to be worried about with these two latest home invasions? Are robbers randomly coming to the door, knocking or not and demanding money? Since when do babysitters need to keep guns on themselves and are prepared to shoot would be robbers? Something doesn't smell good with either one of these stories.

GreatAmericanZero 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm fairly confident with my .40 caliber Hydra Shock. Doors always locked and I haven't given out any keys. If someone breaks in I automatically know they aren't supposed to be there. Hope the scenario doesn't happen, but burglars really shouldn't assume home owners aren't armed. Oh, forgot to mention my firearm has night sights.

GardenMomma 5 years, 3 months ago

1029, if you ever do that, "[put] one right between his eyes," I hope the sight of it haunts you for the rest of your life. Defending yourself, even if it necessitates deadly force, is your right, that's true; but sounding so gleeful about the opportunity is downright terrible.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 3 months ago

Kayla 1 wrote yesterday: " And i'm not saying that they didn't do wrong on their part, because they did, they made a horrible decision and now are going to have consequences BUT that doesn't mean the home owner and baby-sitter didn't do wrong either. " I think in most cases once the trigger is pulled, it is reported that usually the shooter does not realize that he/she kept on pulling the trigger until the clip is empty. IMHO, if the victim is not dead by then, filled with emotion, one might find themselves stomping the offender.

Danimal 5 years, 3 months ago

Well, looks like some good old street justice to me. You break into someone's home, sometimes you get shot.

GardenMomma 5 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if this is at all related to the other shootings there earlier this week. Isn't this the same mobile home park?

yankeevet 5 years, 3 months ago

Marion;

u are exactly right on the shooting techniques;;;........been there; done that; and it works.....lol

name 5 years, 3 months ago

This has to be one of the scariest threads I have ever read. Not only do I fear a robbery, but even more so fear one of you blood thirsty people, who have this very unhealthy and strange desire to kill, will have a bad day and take innocent lives. I have never had the "dream to hopefully get the opportunity to shoot and kill somebody someday." That is not a normal dream. That is such a scary thing to say. Defend your homes please, but do not take a robbery as an open invitation for murder. It is not a Murder for Free card.

bellamber 5 years, 3 months ago

Take Back the Night Benefit Concert at the Granada all ages doors open at 7 show is from 730-midnight 5 bands for $5 Live music for a great cause! help end sexual and domestic violence

Steve Jacob 5 years, 3 months ago

I like to present all augments to the table, that's all. Sure one of the first questions police asked was why 6 shots in one and 4 in the other? And how many shots in the back or when they where down did they receive. And how did he get the gun, was he a felon, ect.

I think the families of these two want all the facts, so I don't blame the police on getting every bit of information they can.

name 5 years, 3 months ago

beobachter- I am in no way pointing fingers at anyone involved in this story. We know barely anything about the details. My post was in response to what people on this board were saying about how they have a desire to shoot and kill people. I agree self defense is very necessary, but it has to be done within reason. You cannot purposely kill somebody.

Adrienne Sanders 5 years, 3 months ago

Beobachter, yes, self defense is what it takes to stop them. Did it take shooting four or six times to stop these guys? Really?

Bunny_Hotcakes 5 years, 3 months ago

I sure hope that if I get robbed I have a few of you internet tough guys around to defend me. You're all such men of action. And toughness. And mouse clicks.

N_Trenched 5 years, 3 months ago

SRJ, did you read the article? If the robbery victim has a felony on his record he would have been arrested for unlawful possession of a gun. The police did exactly what was warranted in this situation. Common sense tells me that if a home invasion is taking place, I am going to take action to stop it from hurting me or my loved ones. Who cares how he got the gun? The point of the story is that the gun was used for its intended purpose, self defense! Why not question the actions of the robbers? They know why they got shot, The true victim has to live with the nightmare of a home invasion and haunting memories of having to take that violent step which he was forced into. Bottom line, the victim has a right to own that gun and you shouldn't question that!

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

consumer1, I'm supposed to write my congressmen because people would just love-love-love the chance to kill another human being in their own home? Foolishly, you took what I wrote as a condemnation of the home owner's actions, which it wasn't. He did what he felt was necessary to protect himself, and fortunately for him it worked.

My comment has to do with your obvious desire that some day you have the opportunity to try to KILL somebody in your home too! Am I really supposed to write my congressman because some weirdo gets excited while hoping he too gets a chance to shoot someone? What is he supposed to do, outlaw "foolishly ignorant?"

Further, I've never once met anyone who has been in war, has killed others, yet is now hoping that he could kill again, but this time within his own home. This type of bravado is usually left for those with active imaginations but no real-life experiences. I'm just saying ...

No, I believe most rational gun owners would look at a situation like this and simply say, "I hope I would be as fortunate in a similar instance." To hope it happens, however? That is just blood lust. Go buy a video game already.

flux 5 years, 3 months ago

This smeels alot like the double homicide that was on learnard street a couple years ago

name 5 years, 3 months ago

Marion, Luckily for me i do not dictate my life according to the christian bible. I should have said "you SHOULDN'T purposely kill somebody instead of you cannot purposely kill somebody". I hope you understand the pettiness of you arguing that you have the legal and religious right to kill someone on purpose. If someone dies from someone defending them self that is self defense. If someone intentionally kills another person that is homicide. You are taking my post and twisting it. The law in which you are distorting to defend your opinion does not support killing someone on purpose in self defense. It is simply saying that if you kill someone while defending yourself you are protected under law. There is a huge difference.

mom_of_three 5 years, 3 months ago

I am reading this comments and saying "wow."
I understand the right to defend your home, but some of you are too darn happy about it. Two less bad guys in the world, I guess you would be thinking.
If the first shots created the life threatening injuries, then it makes me wonder why there were 8 more. But I don't understand the need to carry a gun in the first place.
Will be interesting to get the rest of the story.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

The person doing the shooting could have fired all those rounds in a couple of seconds. Shooting once and pausing to evaluate the bad guy's wounds may not have been the shooter's primary concern.

yankeevet 5 years, 3 months ago

Lawrence is turning out like the wild wild west!! Shootem and lootem............where is Wyatt and Hickcock??

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

boy is it rare that I agree with Beo: absolutely right here!

four or six shots, so what? ten shots in a handful of seconds. maybe the two thugs were jacked up on: meth; crack; or PCP.
its a lot harder to stop somebody under the influence of those!

big headline should be:

• Use of a gun stops violent crime!*

guns do stop crime, like this, or more often in preventing them from starting.

as to the glee. well Name et al, you liberals with your soft touchy-feely judges, who for example give a slight sentence for rape locally, and let violent criminals out far too soon, you and your judges are really at the root of this glee.

if we can't trust the justice system to properly punish the perps, and protect us from them, then of course the gun in the hand starts to feel a bit more welcome.

wonder: was it baby Louie, or the KCMO gentleman who took the lead?
being baby Louie, I'm thinking we owe KCMO an apology on this incident!

and this has nothing in common with the east lawrence double murder cited by one very seriously misguided poster.

oh, and refs to "him" in reference to shooting the perp who breaks into your house, that's sexist, so stop it I say.

mrbig 5 years, 3 months ago

Wow. This is such a liberal town when people on here are debating about whether or not 2 robbers should have been shot x amounts of times. Ridiculous. They were criminals, and they deserved what they got. They would have deserved it if he killed them too, in my opinion.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

igby 5 years, 3 months ago

This is one side of the story, I tend to doubt, nonetheless, that there is a lot more going on behind the story. I have to ask just why? Robbery? Yea! Right!

A drug deal gone south perhaps is more believable.

Rob a guy that lives in a trailer?

Yea! Right!

Christine Anderson 5 years, 3 months ago

Question-an earlier poster wrote that the family is being evicted because the babysitter shot the alleged robbers? Why? If, when the police conclude their investigation, they state the shooting was justified, then that should make a difference. This family should not be evicted because of the sitter's actions, esp. if it's determined he acted within the law and his rights.

XEPCT 5 years, 3 months ago

Marion couldn't bang slang if he looked in thesauruses, being one of those let's not and say we do, dudes.

Newell_Post 5 years, 3 months ago

Give that man a medal the key to the city.

krystalk 5 years, 3 months ago

STUCKINTHEMIDDLE:

"I would love to shoot some P.O.S. coming into my house to do me wrong.”

this is such a frighteningly ignorant statement…

haha good come back! You pretty much made my night

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

"You're all such men of action. And toughness. And mouse clicks."

Hahaha. Best line of the thread.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 3 months ago

This thread is hilariously trolltastic.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 3 months ago

There was a reason they were trying to rob him. Yeah, it is very similar to the east shooting.

redneck 5 years, 3 months ago

You guys need to take this a little more serious. I don't know if they deserved what they got, but sh_t happens when you try to rob somebody. I would think these parties all knew each other, or they had acquaintances in common. I’m not buying that they just picked a residence at random. Since some of you don't understand why they were shot so many times, I'll explain it to you. Guess how many people have been killed by someone who was thought to be dead. I don't know, but I'll bet it's quite a few. Even police are taught to shoot until they are not moving or the clip is empty. Guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out. I hope all wood-be thieves take this as a warning, because I guarantee there are a lot of law-abiding citizens packin guns these days. I am thinking about joining them in the near future.

Kryptenx 5 years, 3 months ago

Jane, try reading the comment you're referencing again. Truthbtold agrees with you. o.0

Jean1183 5 years, 3 months ago

"even if there were drugs/drug money as the motive for the home invasion, not a reason to not defend oneself, especially if there was a child in the home"

I agree with Jane. If they hadn't entered the home they probably wouldn't have been shot (geez....people, think about it).

Also, I will probably empty the chamber of my .38 if someone breaks into my home. That would be 6 shots for some of you who don't know.

M. Lindeman 5 years, 3 months ago

dulcinea47 (Anonymous) says…

rdragon writes:

When you take a hand gun course, you are instructed that if you must defend yourself. You shoot til your firearm is empty.

stuckinthemiddle 5 years, 3 months ago

just to be clear on this... I would fight for the right for folks to be as frighteningly ignorant as they want...

coolmom 5 years, 3 months ago

i would hate to shoot someone to protect me or mine. i would however do so.

iloveyoutoo 5 years, 3 months ago

Just some general thoughts here.... This is strictly a "what if" situation.
I was wondering what you guys would think if you were to find out that this was the home of a drug dealer and that maybe there were drugs and money inside?

I only ask that because I often read comments where people are saying that they wish thugs would kill each other. And also because there was a young child in the home. Would these people still be heroes even though they possibly endanger their child every day by participating in this kind of stuff?

Again, I'm not saying that is the case. This is a "what if" scenario that I would like your opinions on, but I do agree with some of the posters on here that it seems very strange that they would rob this place at random. I know of Louis through my boyfriend and I know that drugs and money are at the top of his My Favorites.

grammaddy 5 years, 3 months ago

Even if there were drugs in this house, the perps were all the way wrong!! No one has the right to rob any one else. If they chose to participate in that life, that's their business. Eventually their Karma will bite them in the arse. This guy was the BABYSITTER! I feel he did what was right to protect the child.

thebigspoon 5 years, 3 months ago

If someone breaks into your house and you use a gun to defend yourself I don't think it really matters how many times you fire your gun. I doubt if anyone on here has ever been in that position. I do own firearms and would not think twice about defending my son and myself it this were to happen to us. Better to be tryed by 12 than carried by 6...

mdfraz 5 years, 3 months ago

As to shooting multiple times, police are taught to shoot until the threat is neutralized, not necessarily until the magazine is empty. That may be one shot, it may be 5 or 10. And yes, you can blow out a whole bunch of rounds in a matter of a second or two. Just because I fire 6 or 8 or 10 rounds, it doesn't mean I hit anything, and even if I do, the human body can take a lot of rounds, especially if they are smaller caliber, and still be a threat. So, the fact that they were apparently hit 6 and 4 times respectively does not in any way make this excessive in and of itself. Unlike TV, one bullet does not always stop the bad guy. Anyone who has been trained to use a handgun has been taught this.

I hope I never find someone breaking into my house, and if I do, I hope I don't have to pull the trigger, but if someone comes at me with a weapon, be it a gun, knife, or even baseball bat, they will be leaving on a stretcher if I have any say in it whatsoever. Will it be hard to deal with shooting and/or taking someone's life? Probably. But guess what, I'm still alive to have those feelings. At the end of the day, that's the bottom line.

You can bet that this (apparently) proper use of a handgun won't be reported as a positive incident for gun rights. Best we can probably hope for is people on message boards pointing out that this is exactly the kind of reason why people should be allowed to own guns in this country. It may suck that that's the case, but it's reality, so let's deal with it.

mdfraz 5 years, 3 months ago

Collar got his $.02 in before I did. I agree with his assessment.

gogoplata 5 years, 3 months ago

Who's we sucka?

Smith and Wesson and Me.

66044 5 years, 3 months ago

Lets do remember that not everyone entering your home even forcefully and/or in the middle of the night are doing so with the intent to rob you. Would not be a great thing to shoot your neighbor of 30 years while he is attempting to make entry to your home due to a fire you was unaware of. Or shoot one of your kids whom was trying to sneak back in the house at 3 in the morning. Lets also remember that their is a huge difference between using deadly force to protect you property/ego and using deadly force to protect ones life. Just because your home is being burglarized does not mean your life is in danger and you should use deadly force, only and if only you have no other choice should one ever use that option. In these two cases one strange thing has stood out above all. The home owner/occupant shot the intruders prior to the intruders ever making entry in the home. This makes no sense to me.... Not even a drug dealer would sit around with a gun all hours day and night in the window awaiting what he thinks is people coming to rob him. So this leads me to believe that the people being robbed was anticipating being robbed and chose to deal with it using a firearm rather than notifying the police department. Assuming these houses are drug houses isnt there felony laws that are in place to prevent drug dealers from having guns for protection.

66044 5 years, 3 months ago

Furthermore since there is federal laws that prevent a drugdealer from being able to possess a gun for protection, shouldnt if this person uses the gun for such even if legally for non drugdealers it should still be illegal for drugdealers. Then again as long as no drugs was found at the scene the drugdealer could justify his shootings only to soon after returnin to selling drugs and being prone of robbery. Come on folks even criminals are smart enough to know not to rob a trailer when there are million dollar homes 2 miles down the road....

66044 5 years, 3 months ago

Umm actually i registered for the purpose of sharing my opinion on the increase in tolls on the turnpike. Considering your posts within this blog and others i have read as a non-member, you are a troll. Thankyou for the warm welcome.

"Anyone breaking into my house will be shot. Period. And my kids are smart enough to know better" Makes me think two things 1. lets all hope your kids are smart enough and 2. your ass may one day find yourself in prison with a huge lawsuit on your hands.

In the end thinking that shooting to kill home burglars at first given chance will solve burglar issues is ridiculous at best. Robberies will continue the only difference is that local criminals will step up their means of committing burglaries. Such as wearing armor, bringing more criminals to help, using bigger and better guns. This will result in even more deaths during robberies and even more violent crimes in douglas county, Im not against shooting a home invader, so long as you feel you had no other choice.

Matters little to most you anyway. Cases like these only matter for gun owners to reassert their rights as gun owners it seems anymore..

66044 5 years, 3 months ago

"Anyone breaking in my house will be shot. Period."

"you will be told once to leave, then i will shoot"

Im glad you considered my opinions.

As far as "till the clip is empty or you're down" thats a personal decision you will have to make at the time. The DA will consider all information and your action and they and possibly a jury will decide whether what you did or the extent of what you did was justifiable.