Archive for Monday, August 24, 2009

Report: Heat’s Beasley checks into rehab facility

August 24, 2009, 1:27 p.m. Updated August 24, 2009, 3:24 p.m.

— Michael Beasley told his personal manager several days ago that he was working out in Houston because it brought "a change of scenery" from Miami and Washington.

What happened next is a mystery, even to those who know Beasley best.

The Miami Heat forward checked into a Houston rehabilitation facility last week and is being treated for various issues, including depression, a person briefed on the situation told The Associated Press on Monday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of privacy concerns, and could not say whether the other issues included drug or alcohol treatment.

"Based on what I'm getting right now, there's a bit of concern," Bruce Shingler, Beasley's manager, told The AP in a telephone interview. "I don't really know what's going on. I just know his mom is on her way to go see him in Houston. That's it. I'm still collecting a lot of information."

It's unknown how long Beasley will remain at the facility, or whether he will be available when the Heat open training camp on Sept. 28.

Shingler also said he wasn't sure how long Beasley has been in Houston, or specifically why that was his destination.

"From what I know, he was just getting ready for the upcoming season," Shingler said. "The last time I talked to him, everything was going well. All this rehab and all that, I was totally unaware. It all started as he wanted to go work out in a different place because he wanted to get away. Now this, I don't know what's going on."

The spiral appears to have started in earnest Friday, when a photo of the No. 2 pick in the 2008 NBA draft was posted to his Twitter account, in which Beasley displayed a new tattoo across his shoulders. The image also captured what appeared to be a small plastic bag on an adjacent table, the contents of which were unclear.

Beasley was already getting treatment when the photograph — and several comments, including "Feelin like it's not worth livin!!!!!!! I'm done" and "I feel like the whole world is against me I can't win for losin" — were posted on the feed.

Beasley's account has since been closed. Another account he used was shut down July 27.

"What Michael Jr. is going (through) is just a bump on the road we call life," said a posting Monday on Michael Beasley Sr.'s Twitter feed. "Please pray for him, he needs it."

A phone call to Beasley Sr.'s home in Bowie, Md., went unanswered.

Yahoo! Sports first reported Beasley entered a rehab facility.

Beasley finished his rookie season as Miami's second-leading scorer behind Dwyane Wade, averaging 13.9 points and 5.4 rebounds. He spent much of the year as a reserve, and both Heat coach Erik Spoelstra and team president Pat Riley talked often this summer about utilizing Beasley more this coming season at small forward and power forward.

"Beas, we hope that we're going to see a lot of him at the 3 spot," Riley said in a conference call with the team's beat writers earlier this month.

At times this past season, Beasley's immaturity was of some concern to teammates. He typically laughed off such criticism, saying he was young and acting accordingly.

"The guy's got a lot of talent," Wade told The AP during a July conversation on a number of topics, including Beasley's potential. "I can't wait to see what he does with it. He's 20 years old. I'd love to see it all come together this year."

Beasley's second season, much like his first pro year, is off to an ominous start.

Beasley was fined $50,000 by the NBA last September after security officers at the league's rookie symposium detected the scent of marijuana in a hotel room occupied by Beasley, Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur and two women. Chalmers and Arthur were fined $20,000; Beasley drew the stiffer fine for at first trying to hide his presence from NBA officials.

Beasley told The AP in January that there were times during his first six months as a professional that he felt "everyone was against me" and that many things "get blown out of proportion" — referring specifically to the rookie symposium incident.

He spent one season at Kansas State before entering the draft, averaging 26.2 points and 12.4 rebounds in his lone college year.

"As a rule, I do not comment about the private lives of my student-athletes, either current or former," Kansas State coach Frank Martin said in a statement. "However, Michael, like every student-athlete I've coached, will always have my undying support."

Comments

Matt Warman 4 years, 7 months ago

Good luck Beasley, I wish you well. Another example of for the NCAA to look at and get rid of the one and done rule.

weegee 4 years, 7 months ago

Um, Clickker...Down Syndrome is not a mental illness.

Robert Kiefer 4 years, 7 months ago

Oh my babboy I see being a KSU fan has you ready to jump off a bridge as well, must be something in the beer in aggyville. All kidding aside though I hope Mike gets things straightened out. Very gifted basketball player with what seemed to be a very carefree demeanor. & for the record LJW told me more about him than I ever wanted to know!

bangaranggerg 4 years, 7 months ago

This just goes to show you need the right people around you to aid in your development at that age. Dalonte Hill and Frank Martin are not people I would let babysit for me. Also, Beasley caught heat yesterday for posting pictures on Twitter with a bag of weed in the background. He could do with the presence of Wayne Simien there at Miami, they shouldn't have cut him, he'd have been a good influence.

persevering_gal 4 years, 7 months ago

As a KU student and a loyal fan of the Jayhawks, I wish Beasley the best. We don't know what he's going through, nor should we be the ones to determine what it is he's dealing with. Mental illness has taken the lives of 3 of my friends, and I do not wish that upon anyone having issues in his/her life.

d_prowess 4 years, 7 months ago

I wish him luck too and this just goes to show you the massive toll living in Manhattan, KS can have on a person, even for just a year!

Alia Ahmed 4 years, 7 months ago

I think many young, talented athletes are not equipped to deal with all the fame and fortune that happens pretty quickly for them. Many of them have family, friends and fans that apply incredible pressure on them. I wish Michael Beasley good luck and hope he recovers from whatever is going on with him right now.

jimmyjms 4 years, 7 months ago

"ie if he had downs syndrome I dont think folks would be making fun of him"

I'm not sure you'd want to take that bet.

Clickker 4 years, 7 months ago

Actually, no one really knows what the "real problem" is with Beas. Mental illness is nothing to be made fun of --ie if he had downs syndrome I dont think folks would be making fun of him--and I hope he gets the treatment he needs. There are plenty of coddled athletes that meet with some adversity, and they dont all get depression.

Even though he went to K-State, I kind of liked the guy, even though he was a big buffoon at times.

newmedia 4 years, 7 months ago

Sorry to hear. Just maybe if someone had actually told him "NO" once or twice in his life and he had to work at a real job for a while he could have grown up a little more grounded...

Steve Jacob 4 years, 7 months ago

All rich people are happy and have no problems and should never be depressed? Do people believe that here?

jeffds01 4 years, 7 months ago

The real problem with Beasley is that he could do whatever he wanted in college, both on and off the court, and now he can't do that anymore.

Especially on the court, he struggled through his rookie year,putting up numbers that were not nearly what they should have been. And unlike college, when your in the NBA making millions of dollars a year, everyone has their eye on you to screw up so they can complain about why they (fans) are paying you millions a year.

So a note to Beasley - Buck up and deal with it man, your a grown a** man, with plenty of money and fame. Play to your ability, and stop trying to have everything handed to you, because you were better than a couple of college guys.

irnmadn88 4 years, 7 months ago

The problem with Beasley he was one and done a lot of places prior to KSU...

Practicality 4 years, 7 months ago

Ohhhhh, poor Beasley, no one understands him, why can't he just do whatever he wants and people only print good things about him. Boo hoo hoo.

Grow up Beasley. That is part of the propblem with one and doners, lack of maturity.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow! Look at Zack Greinke to show how well you can recover from this, with time and medicine.

BABBOY 4 years, 7 months ago

Where are you Chuck Wooding? This mud slinging chance is right up your alley.

Ljworld never mentioned Beasley while he was setting some records at KSU. Took no time at all for them to jump on this issue.

The sports department at this paper is going down hill.