Archive for Saturday, August 22, 2009

Burglary spurs high-speed chase

A report of a burglary led police on a vehicular chase into the Kansas City area.

August 22, 2009, 2:55 p.m. Updated August 22, 2009, 4:25 p.m.

A report of a residential burglary sparked a high-speed chase from Lawrence to Overland Park on Saturday afternoon.

Law enforcement is still investigating the incident. The suspects in the chase, three black males, fled on foot near where the vehicle stopped at Interstate 35 and 95th Street in Overland Park.

The incident began a little after 2 p.m. Saturday, when law enforcement received a report that a man who didn’t live at an apartment complex in the 1000 block of Missouri Street was carrying out a big-screen television, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Craig Shanks.

The police arrived on scene just as the reported suspects were leaving in a purple two-door Chevy. The police tried to stop the vehicle and pursued it briefly to about the 800 block of Arkansas Street.

Police later recovered a pistol lying along the roadway near where the chase began. The pursuit was resumed when the vehicle was reported at 23rd and Massachusetts streets.

The police attempted to follow the vehicle again near Haskell Street, where it was heading east. The police pursued the vehicle on Kansas Highway 10 until the Church Street exit for Eudora, where spike strips had been put out in attempts to stop it.

The driver lost control of the vehicle as he tried to avoid the spikes. He was able to regain control and continued driving. At that point, the police stopped the pursuit and the vehicle traveled into Johnson County.

A report was later made that the vehicle had stopped at I-35 and 95th Street, where the men had fled on foot.

Law enforcement are still looking for the suspects.

Comments

tNomad 5 years, 11 months ago

I witnessed this chase on the highway right outside Eudora. The car also had metallic tinted windows.

RoeDapple 5 years, 11 months ago

mine all drive fords but have bean nown to steel chevies in a weak momnet so i bettre not talk boutit

somebodynew 5 years, 11 months ago

OK, autie wins !!! She has the best family (are we related??). The only thing worse would be a black and gold car.

Mean_Green 5 years, 11 months ago

It's unfortunate that the Sheriff's Office had to discontinue the pursuit. If there aren't enough officers following once a suspect bails out, the odds drastically drop of catching everyone in the vehicle. I deal with high speed pursuits and "bail-outs" on a weekly basis. Most of my supervisors will usually tell us to "drive it until the motor falls out".

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

But you just can't justify chasing a car at 100MPH for a burglary. No one got hurt, and they got the car and a gun. They can still find the guys especially is the car was not stolen.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 11 months ago

i'm not opposed to shooting thugs on sight. I was just downtown where thug-life was in full effect.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 11 months ago

There's no point in the driver running on foot. They know who owns the car. Dummy.

Mike Wagner 5 years, 11 months ago

Why does it always seem that law enforcement gets there a little too late and the suspects always get away? How do you get three dumb arss thugs and a bigscreen in a 2door? Thank God criminals aren't smart!

Alabamastreet 5 years, 11 months ago

Topekans on the loose in Overland Park . . . it never ends well when USD 501 dropouts end up in the Blue Valley District.

Godot 5 years, 11 months ago

How did they get that big screen TV in a two door car? Camaro? Corvette? Cobalt? or maybe a Tahoe? I can see it going in a Tahoe. Or a really old Caprice or Monte Carlo. Yeah, a purple 1983 Caprice with metallic tinted windows. There ya' go. lowlights, jacked up. pumpin' and bumpin'.

RKLOG 5 years, 11 months ago

wy duz tis awys hapinn round dis tym uv da yeer? upps, did i spel anyding wrowg?

doc1 5 years, 11 months ago

I guess all it takes is running from the cops in Lawrence to get away. Just run and they won't chase you. Nice.... Anyway the car was stopped on the offramp at 95th street. I passed it on my way to the mall and it had extensive front end damage. They obviously crashed into something pretty hard. Lawrence Police as well as other departments were there.

tanaumaga 5 years, 11 months ago

pywackoff, you idiot....wow....there's a lot of black and whites between here and there....we need new carrier pigeons

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

okay, can we hope that some of that random gunfire near Starlight just migrates over by 95th and I35?

thug kills thugs...oh, the tears.

it always amazes me how many experts pop on here, who know how to get the scofflaws better than the constabulary.
it is just sad that our chief of police doesn't tap this reservoir of incredible talent and insight.
why we could cut crime so far, Lawrence would become Camelot!

wyattearp2 5 years, 11 months ago

I can't believe the police stopped the chase!!! Allowing these pieces of excrement to get away and travel all the way to Johnson County and then flee on foot.

All goes to show you, that in Lawrence, otherwise known as we're too scared to do anything to the thugs, because they are just poor misunderstood misfits that the citizens feel the need to embrace them, tell them that it's just wrong to steal.... Give them a place to stay, three meals a day and allow them to panhandle.

Sorry place to call a community / city.....Glad I don't live there....... No Justice, Just thugs running a muck and stealing whatever they want.....

Joshua Montgomery 5 years, 11 months ago

Great work by the cops. I am sure that we will read about these guys getting picked up in the next week or so.

There is no point in letting some innocent get killed because the police were trying to chase down a suspect in a property crime.

It takes a lot of restraint to stop a pursuit when adrenaline is running high and the suspects are in sight.

As long as no one gets killed, there is always tomorrow to catch them. Thugs bright enough to burglarize an apartment complex in the middle of the day with a 2 door car are bound to end up in custody sooner rather than later.

Jayhawk12 5 years, 11 months ago

Joshua,

You took the words right out of my mouth.. The police had a description of the vehicle/perps and the tag number. We are talking about a non-person felony here involving a television.. Yes, you armchair cops, I would be pissed off if it were my apt. they broke into, but knowing how some police chases end up, is the safety of the public (ie. your wife, child, mother, father) worth catching someone over a stolen television when you can follow up on the investigation at a later time.

Shifty 5 years, 11 months ago

How are you sure that the vehicle wasn't stolen prior to the burglary? Which means that the registered owner of the vehicle isn't a participant. Also, since a firearm was thrown out of the vehicle, it kind of makes one wonder how "non-person" (aka non-violent) these suspects were.

juliedanurse 5 years, 11 months ago

"They obviously crashed into something pretty hard. Lawrence Police as well as other departments were there".

They crashed into a minivan carrying a couple and their 18-month-old twins, according to KCTV5.

parrothead8 5 years, 11 months ago

How did the perps get all the way to Overland Park? What about the old axiom that "radio is faster than any car"?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

How did whoever reported this know they didn't live in the building and that is was not their television? I wish they would have told us if it was still in the car.

Mike Wagner 5 years, 11 months ago

In my earlier post I was not just talking about this case which they responding signal 3 (lights and sirens) to the scene letting the crooks know they were getting close and then not being able to effectively deploy stop-sticks (again...) but also the rape last week where the cop pulled up to the scene catching the perp with his pants down and still could not apprehend the suspect On foot (maybe I'm not the one who needs to lose 40lbs). We all know if that dumb arss wouldn't have left his ID at the scene that he probably would have got by with it.

Laughwater 5 years, 11 months ago

I am glad they stopped chasing. I'm upset that they could not catch them before they ditched the car. There are days when you are the dragon and others when you are the knight. Some days, that dragon wins. But there is always tomorrow. Those people will be caught and they will be prosecuted. I'm glad no one got hurt.

On another note...

You guys really need to be more considerate of your law enforcement. If I lived in Lawrence, I would be pleased to be surrounded with such a department as I encountered and have heard about. These people risk THEIR lives, every single day to protect YOU. Be glad!