Archive for Friday, August 21, 2009

One person killed, another injured in rollover accident on Kansas Turnpike

August 21, 2009, 5:52 p.m. Updated August 21, 2009, 9:47 p.m.

Topeka man dies on I-70 east of Lawrence

One person was killed Friday evening following a rollover accident east of Lawrence. Enlarge video

A 46-year-old Topeka man was killed and a 33-year-old Vassar man was injured after a rollover accident on the Kansas Turnpike at mile marker 211, two miles east of the Lawrence Service Area.

Kansas Highway Patrol dispatchers said a truck was traveling westbound, toward Lawrence, when it rolled over. The men were transported to Kansas University Hospital, where Donald Price was pronounced dead. According to the Kansas Turnpike Authority, Price was driving the 2008 Freightliner. He was wearing a seat belt at the time of the accident.

A condition report was not available Friday night for Robert Smiley, the passenger.

Crews were dispatched to the accident at 4:48 p.m. Dispatchers said traffic moved slowly through the area Friday afternoon while Kansas Highway Patrol troopers and units from Reno Township Fire Department worked to clear the scene.

Comments

GardenMomma 5 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if the wind blew the truck over. I wonder if the truck was passing the car.

I sure hope that the survivors are going to be all right. I'm sorry for all involved.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't think a car was involved. My daughter had just driven the granddaughter to the airport and was headed back to Lawrence when the accident happened in front of her. She said it was horrific.

GardenMomma 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh. I didn't know. That's too bad. I do wonder if the wind had anything to do with it. We were just on that road a few hours before all that happened.

It sounds just terrible. Was it a smaller truck? A 2-ton truck could be just a regular pick-up truck, but I guess I was thinking of a larger truck.

gccs14r 5 years, 3 months ago

When I think of a 2-ton truck, I think of capacity, not curb weight.

fosso 5 years, 3 months ago

I drove by it around 7:45pm. After the 4 mile backup of traffic, saw it. Looked and smelled like an oil truck. Another one had just shown up to empty it.

Dibbo 5 years, 3 months ago

We were some of the first to stop and render aid. It was a one vehicle accident - unless someone who didn't stop caused it. I saw it roll but it was already off road when I spotted it. Truck was westbound, left the road on the right side and rolled at least once. It was an asphalt spray truck. Believe it was mostly empty - probably on the way back to shop after a job. The traffic was moving at speed limit +/- at time of accident. Backup was caused by accident. A two ton truck is its capacity. [A pickup is typically a half or 3/4 ton truck.]

Charlie Sabotage 5 years, 3 months ago

it was horrible. i was stuck in the back up as well. with a screaming four month old and a 2 1/2 year old. just hoping i wouldn't have to explain to the little one what had wwnt on. condolences to the families involved

GardenMomma 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh that's just terrible.

Thanks for the clarification on two ton trucks.