Archive for Monday, August 17, 2009

Band Day to skip parade this year

August 17, 2009

Bands from 25 Kansas high schools will converge on Memorial Stadium Sept. 26 for Kansas University’s football game against Southern Mississippi.

Because of the game’s 11 a.m. kickoff set by Fox Sports Net, there will be no parade. Bands will gather at 8 a.m. to practice for the halftime show.

The game will be nationally televised. Fans may take a shuttle bus from downtown to football games, with buses leaving from the Riverfront and New Hampshire Street parking garages, where parking is free on game days. A round-trip ride costs $1.

Comments

dragonwagon2 5 years, 4 months ago

Disappointment sets in....... :-( I'll really miss the parade, I love seeing the young bands every year.

I do understand the timing, but I'm still disappointed.

kusp8 5 years, 4 months ago

Where'd all the comments go JKealing!?

grammaddy 5 years, 4 months ago

We don't get too many parades as it is, this will really disappoint the smaller kids.

crispysyn 5 years, 4 months ago

That sucks. The parade was something I looked forward to every year when I was in in high school band.

mightyquin 5 years, 4 months ago

This is really disappointing. LHS got new uniforms this year and now they won't be able to show them off.

tanaumaga 5 years, 4 months ago

they won't get to show off the new uniforms in front of tens of thousands of people at the game?

hail2oldku 5 years, 4 months ago

tanaumaga (Anonymous) says…

Not unless they change what they have done in the last 10 or so years. Neither local school has played at the halftime show for quite a while.

Something to do with the lovely KSHSAA participation rules.

crispysyn 5 years, 4 months ago

I graduated in 1996 from a little town close to Lawrence here. I know it was longer than 10 years ago, but LHS and Free State participated then. I wonder what changed. I know the KSHSAA gets their panties in a bunch if it was a kind of competition, did they change? I would think if that was the case then no other band would be allowed to participate either.

Jim Williamson 5 years, 4 months ago

My son's going to love this. He attends Topeka High. He plays drums. In order to keep the halftime show from sounding like wartorn Beirut, they only allow the KU drum corps to play. With no parade, there's no point in his going, but I'll bet his director makes the drummers go.

loriefoltz 5 years, 4 months ago

Our Daughter marched in that parade for two years while at Freestate , and Mrs. Bear was the queen of marching band. If you remember that time, to me it is just one more thing taken away. Cody made it out in the nick of time before sweeping cuts and I do understand that cuts had to be made. To us it is not just one Band Day it is one more thing taken away from the young people of Lawrence.

Ralph Reed 5 years, 4 months ago

This is not just one more thing taken away from the young people of Lawrence, but from the community as a whole.

Bowing to the almighty dollar, Perkins, Inc. has decreed that Lawrence shall no longer enjoy the KU marching band without shelling out money. This year the only place you can see the KU band and all the rest of the bands play is at the game. How many can afford the tickets to take a family of four to the game, get a soda for each, popcorn and one program? Very few if you haven't bought you tickets already. No longer can you sit on the hill and watch the game, your view is blocked by some athletic building most of us will never see.

I'm sorry, but over the past 15 years I've seen KU do nothing but alienate itself from Lawrence more and more every year. Cancelling the band day parade is just another example. It will be a cold day before there's another band day parade downtown. Perkins, Inc will look at how much money was saved and tell KU there will be no more band day parades in Lawrence as it will destroy the sanctity of some BS invented custom. (I won't even go into the negative changes from when I was growing up here.)

Thanks again Lou. Why don't you just put up a concrete wall around KU and require people to go through Checkpoint Lou before they can come on campus?

Boston_Charley 5 years, 4 months ago

Several years ago KU insisted on one of these early in the day TV contracts for the Band Day game, and the number of bands participating began to go down from that point on. There has been so much lip service paid to serving the entire state, counteracting the "Snob Hill" image, etc., and then they do stuff like this that discourages participation from prospective future students. Seems like a dumb move from a PR perspective, if they really want a better image across the state. Guess the payoff is big for athletics though, what with the TV exposure for the football team. Whoopee ding.

Phillbert 5 years, 4 months ago

We have a good half dozen parades a year, yet even that is not enough for some.

Unlike the years when KU football was bad and the bands played to a half-empty stadium during halftime of a blowout KU loss, the bands get to play to a full stadium during a nationally televised game. I'd take that any day and I'd bet the H .S. band members would too. They get to march in plenty of parades, but this game will the biggest audience they'll have all year.

Meanwhile, I hope those mourning that there won't be a Band Day Parade this year will be able to survive until the Homecoming Parade, Christmas Parade, St. Patrick's Day Parade, Earth Day Parade and/or Art Tougeau Parade.

Beth Bird 5 years, 4 months ago

That sucks! KU Band Day was one of my favorite things when I was in High School. We practiced forever to make sure we had it down pat for the big show. What a loss to all the neighboring schools that participated.

kusp8 5 years, 4 months ago

Jim Williamson 5 years, 4 months ago

I asked my son -- the one in my comment above who was going to be unhappy there's no parade -- about it last night. "No one cares about the parade, Dad. Parades s*ck. The halftime show and free football is what everyone goes for."

Your kid's mileage may vary, but that answer surprised me.

Aileen Dingus 5 years, 4 months ago

Maybe the parade could be after the game? In the evening?

Yeah yeah- I know. That wouldn't work either because of post- game revelry, bands who traveled having to get back home, etc etc.

:( Boo.

And Phogfan86- your son's reaction doesn't surprise me. lol I always hated marching in parades too, but that's what you do when you're in a marching band.

hail2oldku 5 years, 4 months ago

"chuckabee24 (Anonymous) says…

KSHSAA rules don't have anything to do with the lack of participation from local high schools."

Then why don't they perform in the halftime show?

And for those b*tching about the game being moved for tv to an 11:00 kick off, I'm glad you enjoyed the Terry Allen, et al, eras where you could pretty much sit anywhere you pleased because the stadium was empty and the teams were awful. I would much rather lose a parade and have a competitive team with a full stadium.

ksdivakat 5 years, 4 months ago

My daughter is in the LHS band, this is her 2nd year and I can tell you that the band in general is disappointed that they will not be marching in Lawrence, however they are going to be marching that day at bluevalley for competition. But the point is, since LHS and Freestate are right here in Lawrence, they should be the bands above all that are in the hald time show!

GardenMomma 5 years, 4 months ago

What a bummer! Too bad the game is at 11 a.m. Wonder why they picked that day to be band day? Seems like they might have picked another day that had a later start time so there could have been a parade still.