Archive for Thursday, August 13, 2009

Police seek two suspects in reported sexual battery of KU student

Lawrence police are looking for two men who sexually battered a KU student. The crime was committed about 11 a.m. Thursday.

August 13, 2009

A 24-year-old Kansas University student was sexually battered by two men who followed the woman home from campus Thursday, Lawrence police said.

About a dozen officers responded to the scene, in the 2700 block of University Drive, around 11 a.m. Thursday.

Police said the men entered the woman’s home, battered her and then fled. The woman did not require medical treatment.

Officers are looking for information about two suspects in connection with the incident.

The suspects are described as white men, about 45 years old and standing 5 feet 8 inches tall. Police said the victim indicated both men had “Kansas accents.”

One of the men had a medium build, short brown hair, a mustache and a “very” sunburned face, police said. He was last seen wearing a light blue short-sleeved shirt with white writing and a picture on the front, blue jean shorts that went below the knees and dirty gray tennis shoes.

The second man was described as having a stocky build, brown and gray hair, and was last seen wearing a white T-shirt, long jeans and dirty white sneakers.

Anyone with information about the incident should call 911 or Lawrence police at 832-7509.

Comments

puddleglum 5 years, 11 months ago

you know, you say worsh instead of wash. like worshington d.c.

and you accent the ANN sound: you say kANNsas jayhawks

Steve Jacob 5 years, 11 months ago

Does “very” sunburned face tell you "homeless".

Practicality 5 years, 11 months ago

was thinking the same thing srj. But, I will wait until they catch them before I start on that rant.

ralphralph 5 years, 11 months ago

“Kansas accents” ????? Whutaya talkin' about?

somebodynew 5 years, 11 months ago

Kansas accent = (mouth full of chew trying to talk).

del888 5 years, 11 months ago

"blue jean shorts that went below the knees and dirty gray tennis shoes."

could this be the same guy who jumped off the kansas river bridge.

DRsmith 5 years, 11 months ago

I have been here 11 years and I have no idea how a Kansas accent sounds.

davidsmom 5 years, 11 months ago

We've lived in Kansas for 30 years and I've never heard relatives in either Ohio or Texas say we have a Kansas accent. Thelonious, your first post on here was my exact first thought when I read that.

Daniel Speicher 5 years, 11 months ago

A Kansas accent is a distinct lack of an accent. It probably would be better classified as a "midwest" accent as it is no different in Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Northern Missouri and extreme southern South Dakota. As a matter of fact, one of the leading broadcast journalism schools is at Nebraska University for that very reason. (Ever heard a national news anchor with a southern twang?)

Anyway... I truly hope that this girl is okay and that these men are brought to justice soon!

--Danny Speicher

nobody1793 5 years, 11 months ago

Does “very” sunburned face tell you “homeless”.

Sounds a lot like every lawn crew in town.

bigdave 5 years, 11 months ago

Kansas accent ? I hope I don't catch it!!!!

vinividivici 5 years, 11 months ago

Kansas accent....I bet the victim was a foreign student. That might also explain the vague descriptions of the a-holes that did that to her.

Hope they're caught soon.

Dan Eyler 5 years, 11 months ago

I think you all are right on this one.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 11 months ago

No, most people in Lawrence don't have a "Kansas" accent. But people from some of the smaller Kansas towns do have a bit of a twang. I swear, people get bent out of shape out of the silliest things. I have a friend from Minnesota and is highly offended by how people are portrayed in "Fargo" and "New in Town" and people giving her a hard time about it when they hear she is from Minnesota (she, herself, does not have any accent whatsoever). I pointed that those of from Kansas are likely to hear a lot more jokes about "The Wizard of Oz" than she is about the accents in "Fargo" and "New in Town".

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 11 months ago

And I can't believe that out of this article about yet another woman being sexually battered, all most of you noticed is that the suspects were described as having "Kansas accents". You all really need to get your priorities straight. Pathetic!!!

notjustastudent 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't know Jersey- if it was important and distinct enough for the victim to mention it to the cops, and the cops thought it important to mention to the reporter, than maybe a discussion of this accent should be a priority. It certainly isn't pathetic, especially if you felt the need to convey the story about Fargo vs the Wizard of OZ, which contributed in no way to finding these suspects or helping this woman. In other words, cool out/get off your high horse.

rousseau108 5 years, 11 months ago

So why no article on the rapist that the cops caught the night before? It was on the radio but of course LJWorld doesn't have anything on it.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 11 months ago

The Urinal World isn't exactly ground-breaking journalism.

ksjayhawk74 5 years, 11 months ago

I would look for these guys among the transient crowd... Sunburned face, dirty clothes, these are the guys that are drunk on Mass St. before noon.

kristenkim 5 years, 11 months ago

I second that, rousseau108. That sounds like a story worth hearing more about.

Since I live very near where this most recent incident happened, I would be interested in an update/article about if there are any leads in the case, if there will be increased patrols in the area, etc. (just in case there are any LPD officers or journalists reading this, as I assume there are).

kristenkim 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh, it looks like there IS something up on some of these recent attacks; I should've looked over at the sidebar before I posted my last comment.

ksdivakat 5 years, 11 months ago

I have been all over and spoken to all kinds of people in this country and I can tell you that everyone, who is not from around here, always asks me where I am from because I have an accent! I remember one time being asked if we here in KS rode our John deer tractors down main street on friday nights, and I obliged the Italian gentleman and said "Of course!" Its funny because we cant hear them, but other people do.

wordgenie8 5 years, 11 months ago

I love the idea of saying that men responsible for such a low-blow abuse of power were described as having "Kansas accents". Bring the usual suspects forward, please.

somebodynew 5 years, 11 months ago

Has anybody else (obviously LJW hasn't) heard the other NEWS reports that this didn't actually happen ???? I know it has been on KLWN and Channel 9, that the LPD has issued a statement to that effect. No real details tho.

Maybe it was the "Kansas accent" that clued in the LPD that something was wrong ????

bigdave 5 years, 11 months ago

Ya saw it on the news it's all just a bunch of bull!

zjwill 5 years, 11 months ago

Where is the update, where are the filing a false police report charges. LJW nice work, Topeka and KC reporting Lawrence news first, WELL DONE.

Mike Wagner 5 years, 11 months ago

I think only people from areas (example: east coast) that have definite accents think we Kansans have an accent...