Archive for Monday, August 10, 2009

Hospital, Lawrence city leaders to discuss future of Woody Park

August 10, 2009

The future of Woody Park will be discussed during Saturday’s monthly meeting of the Pinckney Neighborhood Association.

The meeting will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 15, in meeting room D South on the lower level of Lawrence Memorial Hospital, 325 Maine.

Lawrence city and hospital leaders are considering turning the historic, 4-acre park just north of the hospital into a parking lot.

LMH President Gene Meyer and City Manager David Corliss are seeking input from the public before moving forward with any plans. They plan to be at the meeting, which is open to anyone.

Woody Park was purchased by the city in 1936 and named in honor of Elgin Woody Sr., a Lawrence resident who organized baseball and softball leagues for minority children.

Comments

inklines 5 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps they could move the field over to the corner of Peterson Rd & North Iowa behind Hallmark Cards. They could keep the name of the ball diamond the same. The city currently owns this donated property and have plans to turn this lot into a park.

d_prowess 5 years, 4 months ago

What exactly makes this a historic park? Not being a jerk here... just asking the question since the story doesn't really seem to say anything about it.

grimpeur 5 years, 4 months ago

Why doesn't LMH build a multi-level garage? Why keep the pavement spreading endlessly? For the love of everything sacred and profane...

GardenMomma 5 years, 4 months ago

It's probably cheaper to sprawl than to build up. Not saying that's the reason, just a guess, and I'm not saying that's a good idea to sprawl to just save money.

Personally, I think there's plenty of parking. Not sure if LMH means it to be employee parking or patient parking. Seems a long walk for patients.

kathyw105 5 years, 4 months ago

d_prowess: Good question. Here is a past article that explains the history of the park: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/jul...

Hope it helps.

kathyw105 5 years, 4 months ago

"That hospital is senselessly expanding while their employees are paid diddly squat at the bottom end.

I do not admire LMH."

...and even worst, they don't offer trauma care to area residents. If you're seriously hurt, you'll get sent to another hospital. They're more like prompt care than a real hospital; I know from personal experience.

gccs14r 5 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they hired the same planners who did Douglas County Bank on 9th.

akt2 5 years, 4 months ago

True they are not a medical center with a trauma unit. They don't need to be. They have immediate access to ER physicians at all of the regional trauma centers 24/7. This includes Children's Mercy for pediatric emergencies, St. Lukes for cardiac emergencies, and KU Med to name a few. People die at those hospitals every day. When it is your time to go, it's your time. No matter who you are or where you are.

KCTech 5 years, 4 months ago

What they NEED to do is purchase that good-for-nothing (except drug deals) mobile home community at 100 Arkansas. They could build a parking garage where the lot is on the NW corner of the property and move the out building they currently have (for maintenance equipment, etc) on that lot to the trailer park. They need a place for all of their lawn equipment, tractors, etc., and the trailer park would be a good place to keep them.

I say leave the Woody Park alone. Maybe more people would utilize the park if the trailer park was gone.

KCTech

grammaddy 5 years, 4 months ago

I agree that the hospital seems to be "senselessly expanding". Cosmetically it is a beautiful hospital. But if you need more than a few stitches or a simple broken bone fixed, I'd go somewhere else. I personally have had poor( almost deadly) mistakes made in the ER there. Too bad all the money has been spent on "pretty" and not on better care. Elgin Woody's family must be so proud. I worked for Elgin Woody, Jr. at the Boys' and Girls' Club in Topeka for many years. Such a wonderful clan. I'd say go for the parking garage instead of usurping more land.

labmonkey 5 years, 4 months ago

Would you let your children play in a place called "Woody Park?" I think not.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 4 months ago

Build up on top of new existing lot. Should have doen that in the first place. Use space efficiently....go up.

muddfoot55 5 years, 4 months ago

I see that park at least 3 times a day, 5 days a week and I haven't seen anyone out there in months, till Sunday. And he was a middle aged man walking a cool down after a run. I can't remember the last time they chalked the baselines much less to see anyone play a game. I live and work in this neighborhood. Most of the kids aren't taught to play in the park or to even respect any place to play. They would rather go onto one of the neighboring community's PRIVATE commons area and dismantle their gazebo and fences. Why develope an under used piece of property, that is WAY off the beaten path, for a bunch of distructive ingrates. I hear alot of complaining about how the hospital doesn't have this and doesn't have that. Well folks....that takes time and space to expand, dollars and community SUPPORT! Yes a parking garage would be nice but current parking would have to closed off for construction and it's my understanding that going up adds about 5 times to the cost of each parking space. Well, lets see....shall we update our MRI, our Maternal Care Unit, the ICU or build a parking garage? Well, thats a no brainer!

mae 5 years, 4 months ago

well i lived in that 100 n arkansas trailer community for about 3 years when i couldn't afford a house near water. it's a drawing place for ozark people to stay.

that was about 10years ago and kids and adults were always playing pickup games there even without bases and lines.

i have never, never seen a lack of parking at the hospital. i think it's just the bigwigs wanting half of the 50ft walk to the er.

i would agree to a new helicopter landing site there, but not a parking lot. redo the existing heli-pad so ambulances can get in that much quicker and eliminate visitor access to that area.

perryproud 5 years, 4 months ago

it is very expensive to build up. Way more costly then a new lot. I also work at LMH on campus, and if you aren't, or don't visit LMH on a regular basis, you probably don't know that parking is horrendous. Its very hard to find a parking spot whether you're a patient or employee. Parking needs to be addressed very quickly. We hate to see our patients have to walk a long distance to reach the building, and have turned to valet for this particular reason. And to Machiavelli_mania, I've worked at LMH for almost 11 years and I don't get paid diddly squat. Take the time to check out other local hospitals pay rates compared to LMH, and I think you'll find that they are very comparable, if not more. And the difference between LMH and other hospitals, is that me as an employee, I'm a person and not just a number.

mae 5 years, 4 months ago

come to think of it, how well is a parking lot going to hold up there with the creek?

or is the creek going to become a new concrete sewage drain from the hospital to directly above the treatment facility? and screw the trailer people, they probably won't know.

i'm doing bottled water from now on at work if they do that~~~

mae 5 years, 4 months ago

and sure as heck buying it where i live, not supporting lawrence tax dollers!!!

LA_Ex 5 years, 4 months ago

Inklines has a very good point. Didn't Hallmark donate that land at Peterson and N. Iowa to the city? Seems like the perfect location for Woody Field at Hallmark Park. In fact, I think it's more of an ideal location than the current spot. The city hasn't been maintaining Woody park very well at all, at least at Peterson and N. Iowa it's more visible.

Move the diamond to Peterson and N. Iowa.

trunkshow 5 years, 4 months ago

Elgin Woody Sr would be sad that kids today don't use the field. Mr. Woody thought baseball and organized sports provided a strong foundation for youth to carry into adulthood. Kids on the team had sportsmanship cards - rules for behavior! During family reunions, his family heads to the park for photos. I'm sure years ago there may have been some connection to the current spot, but more importantly Mr. Woody would want it used! It has deteriorated over the last 10 years. BTW - it was Elgin O Woody III who was the director of the Boys & Girls Club of Topeka for 25 yrs. Grammaddy, his grandfather was his outstanding role model - help youth build a strong foundation! d-prow: for historical facts about Elgin Sr, visit the Dg. Co museum. During the 80's, a suite at the Eldridge was named after him; maybe still is.

grammaddy 5 years, 4 months ago

trunkshow- You are preaching to the choir!! They are a wonderful family. Not only would I let my kids play in Woody Park but I also sent mine to hang out with Coach Woody many years ago.

Iceman 5 years, 4 months ago

I think moving Woody Park is an excellent Idea to a more visable and perhaps usable location. Either that or rename one of our other parks. It would be a shame that Woody would be completely forgotten for what he did for this community, when apparently our forefathers thought he should receive recognition. I too don't entirely agree to removeing more green space and wonder if the money can be better spent for other improvements to the hospital

d_prowess 5 years, 4 months ago

Just so that I understand, from what I have read, the reason this park is called "historic" is because of the man it is named after, not necessarily the site itself (except for the fact that it has been there since the 1930s so it has longevity). If that is the case, I am much less attached to the location compared to creating/choosing a space that is worthy of the honor of his name and legacy.

trunkshow 5 years, 4 months ago

Since I didn't grow up in Lawrence, can someone document if this park was established prior to integration? It may be considered historical for that reason. That may be park may have been for a limited population.

GardenMomma 5 years, 4 months ago

perryproud, try the lot at 4th & Michigan. There's ALWAYS at least 20 spots still open there for employees even as late as 9 a.m.

dontcallmedan 5 years, 4 months ago

I can't remember because it's been awhile, but does the outfield on the ball diamond @ Woody run uphill or downhill?

Sunny Parker 5 years, 4 months ago

That field is used at least once a week for practices! Why not put a little money into so that it could be used more!

Do not put a parking lot in place of this field!