Archive for Monday, August 10, 2009

Dog stolen from Lawrence Humane Society

A puppy was stolen Monday afternoon from the Lawrence Humane Society.

August 10, 2009

Oxford, a five month old pit bull/terrier mix, was taken from his kennel at the Lawrence Humane Society on Monday.

A five-month-old pit bull/terrier mix went missing from the Lawrence Humane Society about 1 p.m. Monday.

Lawrence Humane Society Executive Director Midge Grinstead said “Oxford” was stolen from his kennel, which is located just inside and across from an outside door to the building.

“It’s pretty frustrating,” said Grinstead. “Part of the problem is we don’t have money for staff. Less staff means we can’t watch like we normally would.”

A volunteer was working at the time of the theft. The building’s west door was unlocked to allow the volunteer to walk dogs, and that’s when the thieves struck. The volunteer saw someone drive off in a car with the dog, but by the time the volunteer realized what was happening, Oxford was already gone.

“I think they targeted the dog,” said Grinstead. “The fact that they knew right where the dog was, came right in and left immediately says to me that they did their homework, and they checked it out, and they knew the side door led right in there.”

This is the first dog theft at the Humane Society, but the second theft of an animal this year. Earlier this summer a kitten was stolen from the humane society.

Grinstead believes that rather than financial reasons, Oxford was stolen for pit bull fighting purposes.

Oxford is 4 to 5 months old and has a brown and white mixed coat with big floppy ears.

Grinstead is asking anyone who may know of Oxford’s whereabouts to call police or the humane society directly at 843-6835.

Comments

possum 4 years, 8 months ago

When I first read this I did not think that the dog was stolen for fighting purposes. I bet it was someone who just wanted their dog back or had been denied a million times by the humane society because they are extremely picky and beyond arrogant when it comes to animals. They act like they know everything and I bet someone was just fed up.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 8 months ago

What a sweet dog. Great name, too!

morganalefay 4 years, 8 months ago

Artichokeheart:

That gun charge incident is old news. I think he was locked up for a while, but they let him out again and he went back to his dog-fighting ways.

After they removed the dead puppy from his premises in more recent months, the guy we're talking about was charged with 2 years' probation. He's not allowed to be near the dogs, so someone else is taking care of them. They're still there. I hear them all the time. In fact, I called Animal Control recently, because it sounded like the dogs were killing each other again. Animal Control came twice that day and the guy even appeared to talk with them and the cops. I thought he was in violation of his probation because he was on the property with the dogs, but apparently they did nothing - again.

The dogs are still there and to my knowledge the guy hasn't been locked up again.

Trust me, I've been watching him.

WHY 4 years, 8 months ago

There was an LJW article listing city expenses a few months back.

preebo 4 years, 8 months ago

WHY, where did you get your data? Are you certain that the $240,000 came from tax revenue? Or, is it possible it was part of some CDBG (Community Development Block Grant) money, because shelters and other community non-profits often receive funding like this as part of municipalities applying for the aid from the Feds?

WHY 4 years, 8 months ago

The city of lawrence gave 240,000 dollars to them so yes they get tax money. Twice as much as Burt Nash.
Who cares if someone steals an unwanted animal. If they were all stolen then their overhead would be down and they could use the money to feed people.

preebo 4 years, 8 months ago

I believe Confrontation and Kitty Catty are equally wrong on this one, but I also could be mistaken. The Lawrence Humane Society, as with many others across the nation are non-profit organizations that rely heavily on fees (adoptions), donations (charitable givings) and federal grant monies to function. They also rely on volunteers and unpaid interns to operate at optimal levels. They are not supported through tax revenue, however they are structured so, that they are able to avoid certain taxes. Tax breaks do cost the state, but they do not necessarily cost the taxpayer. Those of you concerned about this somehow costing you should rest assured that the only cost bore by taxpayers is the cost of law enforcement interceding in this case, such as it is when anything is stolen or vandalized, be it a car or a dog.

TheYetiSpeaks 4 years, 8 months ago

"I was told by an employee of the Lawrence Humane Society that Midge has been destroying any and all Pitbulls and Pitbull-mixes brought in, that she won't allow adoptions of any of them simply because she's afraid of any possible future lawsuits, based on the breed."

Complete fiction. I know several people who have adopted Pits from the Humane Society. Why would someone who opposes breed-specific legislation practice it herself? Ridonkculous!

Amy Heeter 4 years, 8 months ago

Silent Dave Oxford was found. What you have heard about killing pit bulls at the shelter is untrue. The shelter uses a temperment test. Although the test is flawed in many cases the dog does pass the test. You may be another person who should spend some time volunteering at the shelter.

rodentgirl16 4 years, 8 months ago

They found the puppy! I think the employee doesn't know what they are talking about. There are a ton of pitbull/pitbull mixes that are available for adoption. Many of them aren't adopted to people with children or cats, and you have to go through a background check, but all the evidence clearly indicates otherwise.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 8 months ago

Morgan if you are speaking of the house on Miller Dr. I heard he was nailed on a gun charge and reliquished the dogs as part of the plea bargain. If he has new dogs you should call Midge Grinstead.

Silent_Dave 4 years, 8 months ago

I was told by an employee of the Lawrence Humane Society that Midge has been destroying any and all Pitbulls and Pitbull-mixes brought in, that she won't allow adoptions of any of them simply because she's afraid of any possible future lawsuits, based on the breed. If this is true, it could well be an employee bonded with Oxford and wanted to do anything they could to prevent him from unnecessarily being killed and dumped atop the pile of other carcasses awaiting incineration. Rather than a theft, this may well have been a humane act of kindness to spare his life.

morganalefay 4 years, 8 months ago

Yankeevet:

Why don't you make a nice, hefty donation to the Humane Society, so they can install security cameras? Those things cost money, ya know.

Marion:

Wouldn't it be nice if the LPD cared enough to go around to all the known dog fighters - one of whom is a neighbor of mine - and round them all up, putting an end to dog fighting in these parts? Sadly, they don't seem to care. I've called the cops many times since I moved to this neighborhood, but they do very little, if anything at all. Not too long ago, a puppy was killed on my dog fighting neighbor's premises. The cops took the puppy's body from the house, but my dog fighting neighbor is still around.

Lawrence seems to be a safe haven for dog fighters.

Poor little Oxford. I hope they find him. Maybe he could have a good life if they do.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 8 months ago

How can you steal a dog from a place that finds them walking about ?

bookemdano 4 years, 8 months ago

?? I was responding to your statement that they are euthanising dogs now for space reasons, which is wrong. They are not doing that and have not done it since the year 2000.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 8 months ago

Bursting not all pitbulls are put down. Claudia cares for them in a room specifically for them. The criteria to adopt a bully breed is strict but more often than not they are adopted. The lawrence shelter adopts more pit bulls than neighboring communities.You can call the shelter to find out about any dog taken there. Shelter staff will let you know if the dog was euthinized or rehomed. Whatever bookendana. I can walk into the shelter today and take any dog there. I don't even have to jump through hoops. You might want to spend a little time volunteering to keep up.

JasonM 4 years, 8 months ago

The hand of Cem Basoflas knows no borders!

bookemdano 4 years, 8 months ago

@artichokeheart - from their web site:

"With this additional facility the shelter was able discontinue euthanizing any animals for space reasons. That policy has remained intact to the present day."

The article in the paper quoted the director as saying they might have to resort to that--not that they were or are doing so. I suspect the inclusion of that comment was to provide additional motivation for people to hurry up and adopt a dog--not that euthanasia really was imminent.

And yes sick and overly agressive animals usually are euthanized. That's true of almost every shelter, and is the most humane thing to do in those cases.

puddleglum 4 years, 8 months ago

blue73:"I support the humane society and think it is probably one of the better uses of my tax dollars. Sure beats roundabouts"

and roundabouts beat stoplights

Bursting 4 years, 8 months ago

How would one go about finding out what happens to dogs that go to the humane society? My roomate had to give them his pitbull 2 years ago, our landlord threatened to kick us out after already approving the dog, but because it barked outside at him one day... Sure would provide some closure to know what happened, but he was probably put down. low kill = pitbulls dead

blue73harley 4 years, 8 months ago

I support the humane society and think it is probably one of the better uses of my tax dollars. Sure beats roundabouts! The facility we have in Lawrence is adequate at best...certainly not extravagant. They rely heavily on donations and volunteers.

edjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't know why you people waste your time responding to Confrontation. That's exactly what his name implies. He is against anything that anyone else is for. Ignore him and he will go away.

hitme 4 years, 8 months ago

This was a planned escape. The dog had a cell phone and arranged it himself.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 4 years, 8 months ago

They saw a person driving away with Oxford, but they made no mention of what the driver looked like and said nothing about the style and color of the vehicle. Does anyone have this information?

TheYetiSpeaks 4 years, 8 months ago

I am always amazed at the people who comment on here who have no idea what it is they are talking about. This is never more apparent then on an article concerning the Humane Society. 1. The Humane Society is very much a human service. We keep them as pets. We dont get them spayed or neutered. We dump the results. Humans have made the Humane Society a very necessary service. 2. Someone asked how they know this animal was stolen for fighting. I would guess that we are not getting the whole story. This animal may have originally been confiscated from a pit fighter. If the dog's pedigree was good then you can connect the dots and see why it would be worth it to the fighter to get it back. These dogs are worth a LOT of money. 3. I remember seeing the funding for the Humane Society and other public programs in the paper and while I cannot recall the exact number I am reasonably sure that it was just a fraction of what they would make from even the smallest fund raiser. 4. Please pay no mind to Confrontation. He is bitter and simply grumpy at having to pay taxes. He would find that almost anywhere he lived would have some public money going to animals in some fashion. Once again a person's capacity to care for all creatures is a very good barometer for their capacity to care about their fellow man.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 8 months ago

The director was just quoted a few days about about having to euthinize for space due to puppy mills. As I recall adoptions are 1/2 price now. That doesn't excuse stealing a dog though.

americorps 4 years, 8 months ago

KittyKat,

I think confrontation has wreckless morals and a failed sense of responsibility,but he is right.

Between the City of Lawrence and Douglass County, the shelter, in 2006 and 2007 received about 35% of their funding from local government sources.

slang4d 4 years, 8 months ago

"The Lawrence Humane society is “low kill” not “no kill” . I don't know how many animals are euthinized but there have been animials put down since 2000."

They do sometimes have to euthanize feral cats and violent dogs. It's far kinder than leaving an animal in a cage for its entire life because it can't be integrated into a home.

I hope that someone reads this article and comes forward- there is an adoption process in place for a reason and I fear what someone like this would do to a dog. Whether he's used for dog fighting or not- this is clearly not someone who should have a pet.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 8 months ago

The Lawrence Humane society is "low kill" not "no kill" . I don't know how many animals are euthinized but there have been animials put down since 2000. I do hope they find Oxford though. I doubt a person who steals a dog from the shelter has good intent.

Eybea Opiner 4 years, 8 months ago

Kittycatty26 says; "You need to shut your mouth. Our taxes do not go to the Humane Society. They are funded by the state and government."

Others beat me to it, but I couldn't let this pass. I laughed, but it was a sad laugh. Such ignorance!

spacegirl 4 years, 8 months ago

i prefer a society that cares for animals, the earth, and that continues to teach the ignorant.

pace 4 years, 8 months ago

I prefer a shelter that kills the excess animals.

jlw53 4 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation If kittycatty26 went to SW Jr. Hi, we all know who the government teacher was before she became a commissioner/mayor.

Confrontation 4 years, 8 months ago

kittycatty26 (Anonymous) says… "Confrontation- You need to shut your mouth. Our taxes do not go to the Humane Society. They are funded by the state and government."

Wow! Are you really THIS dumb?! Where do you think the "state and government" get their money? Seriously, you need to go back to your junior high social studies class and learn a few things. Oh, and check out who is funded by the City of Lawrence. My money is wasted on animals, and I have an issue with that. I'm sure you'd speak up if someone commented on using tax funds for education, since you obviously didn't find education to be important.

alm77 4 years, 8 months ago

as I read this, my Humane Society cat crawls up and demands my attention. Hope you are returned safely Oxford!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 8 months ago

just going on age of the pup, breed, crime to steal him, Midge is just adding up the odds. sadly, she's almost certainly right that Oxford was taken for fighting.

yes, cruelty to animals and cruelty to fellow humans often do go together inside the same human skull.

jevenator 4 years, 8 months ago

Not everyone cares about dogs the way some of us care. If you don't, you should know that the lack of compassion and desire for power and violence inherent in those who fight dogs spills over into other aspects of their lives. This makes dog fighters a danger to us all. Deep down, I hope we all will just care about the dogs, too. It is a living thing that feels pain, after all.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

And when you make a donation to the Lawrence Humane society, as I hope you will, please tell'em Chopper sent you!

kittycatty26 4 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation- You need to shut your mouth. Our taxes do not go to the Humane Society. They are funded by the state and government. And so what if they did, at least they would be going to something useful and not to deadbeat HUMAN services like welfare. I would much rather pay for a puppy or kitten than a scumbag human who sucks the system dry and feels good about it.

bookemdano 4 years, 8 months ago

The Lawrence Humane Society hasn't euthanized an animal since 2000.

Meatwad 4 years, 8 months ago

Pitbull fighting! What a horrible, horrible thought that this cute pup could be a victim of that. Ugh

cellogrl 4 years, 8 months ago

JimmyJoeBob, I think that our shelter is a no kill shelter, so it wouldn't have been killed if not adopted.

JimmyJoeBob 4 years, 8 months ago

They would have killed it if it wasn't adopted anyway.

labmonkey 4 years, 8 months ago

Password....that is actually my first thought. When you go to the humane society/pound, you can pretty much guarantee that the pit bulls and pit bull mixes will be the ones killed.

password 4 years, 8 months ago

Where did the puppy come from? maybe it was the original owners' and they couldn't afford to get him out? or maybe not. or they may been there looking at the puppies before and cased the place and got the layout of the place and the workers' schedule and then came back and and and....or not....

thubbard76 4 years, 8 months ago

How exactly do we know that the dog will be used for fighting again? They didn't even know what was going on until the perps were in the car. Now we know intent?

americorps 4 years, 8 months ago

Their annual budget is in the 700-800 thousand dollar range, with about 300K coming from the city and county, which makes sense sense they are generally the ones the city asks to take care of animals.

I wonder if bookmdano will feel the same about public spending on this when a rabid dog bites their child? yes, I realize the dog catcher is a city expense, but imagine how many more abandoned animals there would be without the spade and neutering program.

People SHOULD be more responsible, but they are often not and whild bookemdano may want to chance the lives of his loved one's on that..I don't

mrbig 4 years, 8 months ago

This is sad. It's people like these that don't need an APBT. They obviously won't be good owners- if they don't fight the dog- and then it will end up biting someone. Bad people target these dogs, and because of them they end up being outlawed by BSL. Midge does a great job running the Humane Society, and making sure that this breed of dog is given a chance. I love my bullies! =)

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 8 months ago

It is horrible that this happened. I hate to think of this puppy being turned into a situation where he is killed or has to kill another dog. Humans are responsible for not taking care of the animals who are hardly in a position to take themselves to the vet to be neutered or spayed.

Raider 4 years, 8 months ago

I have a known dogfighter right across the street from me. I will definitely keep an eye out for this pup.

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

So were your security cameras turned on?

Cynthia Schott 4 years, 8 months ago

Check out people who have shown interest in adopting the dog recently, and were perhaps turned down for one reason or another.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 8 months ago

Send a car around to all the known dog fighter's houses.

The LPD knows where they are.

bookemdano 4 years, 8 months ago

Uh, ok.

To what extent is the humane society taxpayer funded? My understanding is that most (if not all) of its funding comes from private donations.

Regardless, that's got nothing to do with this article. A dog was stolen and the humane society believes it's going to be used for dog fighting. EVERYONE should be interested in seeing that this dog is found and returned.

The article itself said that a theft of this nature is extremely rare, so it's understandable why a door could have been left unlocked during the day.

The humane society provides an extremely important service for this community. If you feel otherwise, you should know you're in the minority--by far.

Confrontation 4 years, 8 months ago

Well, let's just pour more tax money into this non-human service. I looooove my money going towards puppies and kitties. Why not do what the rest of us do? Lock the door!