Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, August 8, 2009

Central Lawrence home catches fire

One person taken to LMH; improper disposal of smoking materials cited

A house in the 2100 block of Tennessee caught fire at about 6:15 a.m. Saturday. One person was transported to LMH with injuries suffered in the incident.

August 8, 2009, 10:38 a.m. Updated August 9, 2009, 5:44 p.m.

House catches fire in 2100 block of Tennessee

A house was damaged extensively Saturday morning after it caught fire. The occupants escaped with minor injuries. The cause has been classified as accidental because of improper disposal of smoking material. Enlarge video

Fire, medical and police officers were on full alert Saturday morning as they doused a fire that engulfed a house at 2137 Tennessee.

According to a Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical release, one occupant of the building was injured after exiting the structure through a first-floor window. The injured person was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

The call came in at 6:16 a.m. Saturday and crews arrived at the two-story house moments later. The fire was declared under control at 6:58 a.m.

No fire department personnel suffered injuries while fighting the fire.

The area smelled like smoke and neighbors stood outside to watch the firefighters save what they could. The fire reached every floor of the house.

"We woke up about 6:15 and heard some commotion outside and looked out the window and just saw the entire house engulfed in flames," said David Watson, a neighbor of the burned home.

According to a Sunday afternoon press release, the fire started accidentally because of the improper disposal of smoking material.

Property damage was estimated at $100,000.

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 4 months ago

Look at all the tree cover and brush, this could have spread easy. Good job fire dept. Thanks

hunter68 5 years, 4 months ago

The Lawrence Fire Dept. did a heck of a job. The house was engulfed in flames. They had the fire under control in 15 to 20 minutes or less. Great Job Guys!

Sigmund 5 years, 4 months ago

Gee, I wish my house would catch fire so I could sell it to the insurance company, take the check in cash it somewhere other than Lawrence. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 4 months ago

Sigmund, after writing this if your house catches on fire you are going to answering a lot of questions.

puddleglum 5 years, 4 months ago

uh: going to BE answering a lot of questions..

thanx...ed

gregk78 5 years, 4 months ago

So long to the first house in which I ever lived, in Lawrence, circa 2000.

KUmom47 5 years, 4 months ago

I just wanted everyone to know...my son was injured in the fire on Saturday. He is doing very well...We have so many people to thank and we don't even know their names!! To the person who brought out a bowl of water and placed my son's hand in it, you are truly an angel!! This one simple kind action caused the burns to cool and prevented him from getting 3rd degree burns on his hand. To the fire department and the ambulance crew and the Lawrence hospital staff...your swift work took my son from the Lawrence hospital to KU Med center within one hour...again a miracle in the works!! We were told on Saturday that he might have to stay until Tuesday; and if he needed skin grafts or surgery he would be in the burn unit for 2-3 weeks. Instead, my son was released from the hospital yesterday!! Praise the Lord for the neighbors who called 911 and everyone who took care of my son while I was on the road driving to get to see him...you are all angels in my book!! God bless.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.