Archive for Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fair food may be good to eat, but it’s not so good for you

August 6, 2009

The carnival rides, concerts and demolition derby are big attractions at the Douglas County Fair.

And then there’s the food: cheesecake on a stick, burgers, pretzels, shaved ice, lemonade, cotton candy, funnel cakes, sausages, onion blossoms and more. So much more. There are 17 food vendors with more than 100 items to choose from.

Indulging in such treats should be done in moderation, but that’s hard to do when they come in super-sized offerings.

Susan Krumm, a nutrition educator for K-State Research and Extension in Douglas County, grimaced when she saw the popular footlong Texas-size Corn Dog and the heaping container of Texas Twister Fries.

“It’s not like we can’t have those curly fries, but share them. Share them with several friends, so you aren’t gaining 5 pounds this week just at the county fair,” she said. “Moderation is the key.”

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh, girls, come on, give me a break. Who counts calories at the fair? Once in a while just go out, have fun and don't worry about it.

Hawk6643 5 years, 11 months ago

No! I really thought that the deep fried oreo was healthy!

Steve Miller 5 years, 11 months ago

Irish is right, bring on the greasy fries and tube steaks... live a little...

trinity 5 years, 11 months ago

deep fried oreo! never had, wanna try! :)
i have had deep fried pickles...mmmmmmmm. tried deep fried cheese curds at a fair in northern illinois a few years back-yum! hadn't ever heard of 'em!

grammaddy 5 years, 11 months ago

Tell 'em Irish. Loosen up and have a little fun once in a while. The chicken tenders were yummy and I did share the "block" of cheesy Texas twister fries with the 5 grandkids. All of us together couldn't finish it all.

bangaranggerg 5 years, 11 months ago

Early Onset Diabetes Fest 2009! Don't worry people you can always have your fat kid baptized at Sea World.

countrygirl 5 years, 11 months ago

Fair food is why you go walk around while you eat. I can remember living on pronto pups and iced tea while at the state fair--and losing weight by the time I got home.

jonas_opines 5 years, 11 months ago

ureunormal: Think of it this way. When you do end up agreeing, it means that it's pretty obvious that it's the right side to be on.

Practicality 5 years, 11 months ago

You mean to tell me Fried Twinkies and Fried Snickers aren't good for me? I never would have guessed that.

SandCoAlmanac 5 years, 11 months ago

... but, but ... the headline itself says the food is only fair. It's good, yeah, but still only fair ....

mdrndgtl 5 years, 11 months ago

The Lawrence Journal-World may be fun to read, but the stories are often obvious.

AKCmom 5 years, 11 months ago

There is a booth selling some yummy kettle corn...three flavors!!

Michael Throop 5 years, 11 months ago

It's pretty typical modern-day "advocacy" journalism..have a positive (the Fair) in front of you, and actively seek out a "dissenting voice".Even for fair food. When they start selling broccoli at the fair, make a story out of that. People need a break! If you want to have a deep fried whatever, for heaven's sake, indulge now, and cut back elsewhere in the day. Now, at least for me, it's upsetting to go to Kauffman Stadium, and see what I did see a few years ago, a family starting with funnel cakes, moving to hamburgers, onto nachoes,and finishing off with cotton candy.As a formerly fat person, it gives me goosebumps. Maybe they had little to eat prior to the game, maybe it's just poor habits. But, I would NEVER EVER pull a nanny stunt on someone for their personal choices. Please, give the human condition a break once in awhile.

bangaranggerg 5 years, 11 months ago

I feel sorry for the writer, it seems the article is falling on deaf, fat ears.

1/3 of children born after the year 2000 will be diagnosed with early onset diabetes, this is an epidemic that will bankrupt any health care system we have. It's not the government's choices that are killing you, it's your own. And these are our own choices, only they are made uneducated to a large degree, you may realize something's unhealthy but not think enough about it unless you're faced with the facts. For decades cigarettes were only "thought" to be dangerous, and when we knew what all was in those things. This food is poison, and the surgeon general doesn't make them tell you. So much for kubacker's perfectly sane "Obamacare food police" theory.

madman 5 years, 11 months ago

DUH. But, calories and fat don't count if someone buys the food for you. Free food has no calories! Look it up.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 11 months ago

Food eaten while walking around doesn't count either.

Jack Hope III 5 years, 11 months ago

Slow news day, Captian Obvious?

This just in... gravity ultimately responsible for everything falling down, squirrels bury there nuts, and Republican's are beholden only to the pharmaceutical and medical insurance industries, not their big, fat constituents who are dying faster than they can vote.

You'd think people would know these things by know, wouldn't you kubacker?

Soap 5 years, 11 months ago

Remember ladies, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!!

amrcngrl75 5 years, 11 months ago

Too funny madman...lmao... As for the article, lighten up...no pun intended. The fair rocks!

maybeso 5 years, 11 months ago

I read about deep fried bacon at a county fair somewhere in the U.S. Why can't somebody in Douglas County do that for us once a year?! And what about roasted ears of corn...mmm...that's fairly healthy, isn't it?

mom_of_three 5 years, 11 months ago

that reminds me, I need to go to the fair for some cotton candy

mmiller 5 years, 11 months ago

I have to agree about this being a bizarre news story. It seems so random and so short. This deserved to be placed on the front page? Why is this relevant?

And moderation is key. DUH. Eat one hot dog, not 10.

GardenMomma 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, of course it isn't! That's why MODERATION is the key.

Duh.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 11 months ago

Hey bangaranngawhatever you should try taking that stick out of your a** and lighten up. Quite frankly unless someone is a complete moron they already know food at the fair is bad for you. I would also point out that if a person (adult/child) eats properly the rest of the time that the one time a year the fair was in town you could eat whatever you want and it wouldn't matter at all.

Quigly 5 years, 11 months ago

No kidding about the lame reporting. I guess they should make the fair go "green" and serve hummus and pita or tofu corn dogs that were baked in a solar oven. I mean really did you run out of real journalists and hire some middle school writers? I agree, BABBOY, I have seen some lame articles here before but this one is taking the non-gluten, dairy-free cake for now. If LJW is going to blah us to death with this article, why don't they write about how bad it is for the animals. What it is like to be in a nice field or backyard and then have to spend hours in a over populated, loud and hot building while they are being judged. Or maybe they should just talk about the whole fair, and how the whole thing is killing us or "bad" for us. Don't forget the petrol and electricity being sucked out of the grid. Global Warming! Carbon Monoxide! AHHHHHHHH

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 11 months ago

Eat what you want while you can! The Obama food police are on the way....oh no, I think they're at my door. Get your damn hands off my chips and cola.............

Keighty Brigman 5 years, 11 months ago

You make jokes, and say this is all common sense, but statistics state that 1/3 of you are overweight, and 1/3 of you are obese. So of the belittling comments thus far, 11 of the posters have a BMI higher than 30. Congratulations! You're well on your way to chronic disease and premature death. Go ahead and make comments about the "food police" and all that jazz, but with a failing economy and a health care system in serious trouble, you're doing yourself, your family, and your neighbors a favor by paying attention to articles like these and actually applying the information to your daily life.

domino 5 years, 11 months ago

Reminds me of an article I read talking about some of the desserts you can order at chain restaurants and how you could make a much lower fat/calorie one at home that would taste much the same. Thought it was so stupid! I don't eat out every night of the week - maybe 2-4 times a month. Out of those times there might be once ever 2 or 3 months that I eat a dessert - normally share it with my husband and/or others we are out with. I don't eat those monsters every day and I certainly do not want to go home and cook "dessert" after an evening out!! Made about as much sense as this article!!

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 11 months ago

ksb19, here's my advice to you, lighten up! Get it lighten up! haaahaaha I'm so damn funny and ksb19 is sooo up tight.

Reuben Turner 5 years, 11 months ago

i need me a funnel cake and some BBQ. maybe a hoggie sandwich, or maybe a good ole lemon-aide. i'll be there!!

Richard Heckler 5 years, 11 months ago

Biking,walking,swimming and elliptical trainers are easy on the joints and good for the heart according to some local medical specialists.

Biking,walking,swimming and elliptical trainers are considered the best because it is low impact exercise which is a perfect fun partner after a good time with fair chow. Go for it.

Speaks for itself... http://www.ellipticaltrainerreview.com/Article_Proform_Crossover_Elliptical_Trainer.html

George_Braziller 5 years, 11 months ago

Susan Krumm -- If I CAN gain five pounds in one week then keep the fair open for a month. I might be able to pack on three that would stay with me. Why don't you ever have a segment about people who WANT to put on weight?

I can wipe out an entire buffet and clock in at a whopping 135 pounds on my six foot 48 year old frame. I weigh the same thing I did when I was 16 but I'm two inches taller than then and still have a 30 inch waist.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 11 months ago

Just got back from the fair. Had me some funnel cake, lemonade and mocked the carnies. The Jerusalem Cafe was selling funnel and man it was yummy.

denak 5 years, 11 months ago

Indulging in a bunch of junk at a fair one day is not going to make you fat, it probably won't make you gain 5 actual pounds and it isn't going to give you diabetes.

What does make you get fat, gain 5 pounds and possibly getting diabetes, is eating these foods on a continual basis without an appropriate level of excercise for your activity level.

So, as far as I am concerned, go ahead and enjoy the food. Just be more careful with what you eat the day before and the day after and it will even out.

I agree with Irish. Live it up and the fair and have fun.

Oh, and don't forget to eat cake on your birthday. Something these killjoys don't want you to do either.

Dena