Archive for Monday, August 3, 2009

Lawrence developer wins auction of former house owned by KU

Lawrence developer Tom Fritzel won an auction on Saturday for a three-story building at 1043 Ind., a Kansas University official said. The winning bid was $375,000.

August 3, 2009

Theresa Gordzica, KU’s chief financial officer, said Fritzel beat out a small handful of other bidders to earn the right to purchase the former Varsity House building owned by KU.

She said the university will use the money to address its ongoing deferred maintenance backlog.

KU had decided to sell the property at the request of the surrounding neighborhood and after mounting repair costs made the building cost-prohibitive to rehabilitate.

Comments

vegetablegirl 5 years, 8 months ago

Gene Fritzel's son.... married to Drew Stewart. Less like a marriage, more like a merger.

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 8 months ago

Doesn't hurt that he's involved building the new eldridge on campus. Hope he does something great with that building..

George_Braziller 5 years, 8 months ago

Fritzel does not equal good. Within two years that property will be a parking lot.

kmcd028 5 years, 8 months ago

I am so sick of everyone on this site putting anyone down because they have money. The Fritzel's are a VERY NICE FAMILY! Quit complaining and go earn the money you are complaining about!

DaREEKKU 5 years, 8 months ago

Didn't his company build that really crappy sub-par development out at Kasold and Peterson? The one with the overpriced shoddily built townhomes?

think_about_it 5 years, 8 months ago

Please elaborate for us beo.

What methods specifically have Thomas Fritzel used to get his money that you disapprove of?

puddleglum 5 years, 8 months ago

or, they are being put down because of the really crappy sub-par development out at Kasold and Peterson.. just ask d. manning

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 8 months ago

We hate the rich, the popular and the beautiful because they have what we want. Boo-hoo. Ya'll need to restrict your personal attacks to the stuff you KNOW someone has done instead of suggesting that this family makes money by committing fraud.

They buy low and sell high and make money doing it. Give them a break.

What I find confusing is why they would spend so much for a house not worth re-habbing. They'll soon have $.5M in this house. Sounds like a bad deal.

FarneyMac 5 years, 8 months ago

Sprawl doesn't make anyone fat. Sprawl gives you someone to blame for being fat. Big difference.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

Psst, loggie, you forgot to use the phrase "running dogs of imperialism" in your screed. You'll never get that Order of Lenin at this rate.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 8 months ago

"Seamus (Anonymous) says…I only hate the wealthy who have the means to make our communities ugly. No one has the “right” to ruin a place just because they have the money to do so. "

You are correct, citizen. Once the proles realize the bourgeoisie have forced them to purchase overpriced housing in sprawl areas, the proles will rise up and destroy the bourgeoisie and the elites will be driven from town.

Linda and Bill Houghton 5 years, 8 months ago

Gene Fritzel seems to be a nice person, but I don't know him well--we were LMHS class of 1953. Apparently, he was able to build a lot of high-end houses by adding artistic touches that the rich liked.

He lives down near Kasold and Peterson as do D. Manning, J. Hadl, and a few others with money.

I don't know much about his children.

thelonious 5 years, 8 months ago

I'll tell you what's wrong with a certain developer's "methods". They ruined the foundation of my house on Stetson Drive a few years ago with blasting for phase 2 of Fall Creek Farms (they could have done the work without the blasting but blasting was "easier" and "cheaper"). It cost me $15,000 to fix the foundation on a $160,000 existing house so that a developer of $500,000 houses can put in infrastructure "cheaper". To heck with the existing homeowners of modest means.

On top of the $15k I was out, I had to sell the house at an additional $10k loss last fall when we moved due to my wife's job change.

So this was essentially a direct subsidy of at least $15,000 from me to this developer and their wealthy clients. Rob the middle class and give it to the rich - this is what is wrong with their "methods".

And no, I have not tried to get reimbursed - good luck with that. They could outspend me in legal bills forever - basically, I would bankrupt myself trying to prove that their blasting caused this damage. I tend to avoid tilting at windmills. But I can speak truth to power, and the truth is, all these developers care about is their own wallet.

puddleglum 5 years, 8 months ago

papa keno, go back to your oven-or memory?

Steve Miller 5 years, 8 months ago

It;s a good tax write off for them.. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

JayhawkfromMN 5 years, 8 months ago

That shabby development out at Kasold and Peterson is a sub-standard housing suit waiting to happen, in addition to a bonified racket.

I lived there the year it opened. To say that the Fritzels used the cheapest building materials possible doesn't do them justice. The best we could determine the drywall was 1/8 inch thick. It was impossible to get the upstairs below 80 in the summer without downstairs being in the 50s. My room, on the 2nd floor, had a 3x3 square area where there was no substance beneath the carpet - you simply sunk in. I didn't rip it up to see what was underneath, but you can only imagine. That is just off the top of my head.

Furthermore, when we moved out they literally did not show up for the walkthrough. I called them and re-scheduled for the next day, and they didn't show up then either. I waited for an aggregate of 6-7 hours over 2 days. They are legally required to notify renters within a month or so if they are not going to return your deposit, and if so, why. We never heard anything at all from them, about ANYTHING. In retrospect I should have staged a hunger strike until they came out and did the walkthrough because...

Over 2 1/2 years after we moved out, my two roomates' parents received demand letters from Hutton's law firm, stating that we owed in the neighborhood of $2,000 in damages. After completely ignoring more than several phone messages left with them (their law firm, for whatever reason, doesn't answer the phone during business hours, or return messages) we were finally able to ask them to substantiate their claims.

Let me tell you that place was immaculate when we left. They responded with a full page list of the things they claim to have had to repair and replace in our unit. All but 2 or 3 were complete fabrications with unbelievably inflated price-tags to boot. They charged me $100 to clean the chimney, though we never had a fire, and the place was brand new when we moved in. They charged us for 'missing blinds', as if we stole the blinds off of one of the windows (we didn't, for the record, although in retrospect..). They even charged us $25 to 'take down a sign in the garage' (no idea on that one). I could go on....

They are just going fishing. They know that most people do not understand their legal rights, and they also know that for most people to even engage counsel over a $2,000 claim would be counterproductive - you'd spend more on the lawyer to fight it than it would cost you to just pay them. That leaves them in a position to fabricate demands, which I cannot concretely disprove because there was no exit walkthrough (weird, huh?), and basically compel me to pay (unless I am willing to pay counsel, or have access to free legal advice, which luckily I do).

That is fraud, in my opinion, and they ought to be publicly shamed, fined, and sanctioned. I don't care if Fritzel isn't involved in the management company (but I betcha he's got a stake), they are crooks.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 8 months ago

"logrithmic (Anonymous) says… Yep, glockownr is typical of ignorant American slaves. They continue to pay off debt, debt that is now being racheted up by credit card companies to three times prime. Meanwhile they are thrown out of there homes - thousands every week. And this worm thinks its a good thing."

A) I have no debt - at all - for anything. B) When calling someone else ignorant, you might want to use there/they're/their properly.

Try again.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 8 months ago

"JackRipper (Anonymous) says…Well glock since things are good with you I guess everything else going on in this country is just imaginary."

Yeah, because that's exactly what I said in my post. Scrolling up, it seems that your friend was the one who took a break from the Godwin-ish rant to bring up my finances.

Speaking of, did you bid at the auction? If you dislike how developments appear, have you purchased any land and developed it to your standards or left it as green space? I assume if you feel as strongly as you do that you've done these things.

MeAndFannieLou 5 years, 8 months ago

Is it just me, or does $375,000.00 seem like a lot to pay for a "former house"?

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 8 months ago

"MeAndFannieLou (Anonymous) says…Is it just me, or does $375,000.00 seem like a lot to pay for a “former house”?"

It's just you. It explains why you aren't in the real estate business.

puddleglum 5 years, 8 months ago

log jackripper seamus jayhawkfromMN thlonious all have very valid points I thank glockowner for helping

thelonious 5 years, 8 months ago

logrithmic says -

"Also if you look at the McMansions that dot the hillsides along Fall Creek Road, you almost have a scene right out of Midevil Europe, with the wealthy Lords, housed in castles on the hillside while the groveling peasantry are housed in huts in the valley."

That is such a good comparison. It's kind of scary when you think about it.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 8 months ago

"logrithmic (Anonymous) says…Schlockowner doesn't get it. It's not about him/her. It's about everyone. Daddy obviously laid a golden egg on him/her. That's the only reason he/she has no debt."

Right. Evidence?

Congratulations on purchasing land. It is good to see at least one person uses their money to further their ideological agenda instead of simply whining about it here.

Practicality 5 years, 8 months ago

Menazort 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm confident in concluding that Seamus is clearly the most intelligent poster on this thread/story. His arguments are rational, based on the true reality of matters.

Kufan1988 2 years, 5 months ago

Why don't you people talk about something you know about! If you take a look at anything Thomas Fritzel builds you would know that the bad things people say about him are far from the truth!!!!! Thomas Fritzel keeps 50+ people working all the time and is a super nice guy.