Archive for Monday, August 3, 2009

Driver in Jaeger case says defendant broke victim’s window, entered apartment

Defendant’s friend contradicts defense, but maintains woman was not kidnapped

In the second week of the Matthew Jaeger trial, defense attorneys Pedro Irigonegaray, left, and Michael Saken, right, compare notes during the lunch recess on Monday.

August 3, 2009, 12:55 p.m. Updated August 3, 2009, 6:52 p.m.

Driver in Jaeger case says defendant broke victim’s window, entered apartment

A longtime friend of the defendant in a kidnapping and battery trial testified Monday that the victim willingly left her apartment with the defendant. Enlarge video

Matthew Jaeger: Guilty Verdict

More coverage of the trial of a former Kansas University student accused of beating and kidnapping his ex-girlfriend.

Jaeger Trial Updates, Via Twitter

“She was willing to get in the car,” said Evan Carroll, a 24-year-old Illinois man.

Carroll said he and defendant Matthew Jaeger were trying to take Jaeger’s ex-girlfriend to the hospital because she was injured.

However, during several hours of testimony, Carroll also told jurors that earlier he watched as Jaeger — who’s been his friend since kindergarten — broke the glass on the window of his ex-girlfriend’s apartment and climbed inside.

“He broke through it and then went foot over foot into the apartment, and that’s when I personally got nervous,” Carroll said.

Prosecutors allege that Jaeger, 24, who is a former Kansas University student, on that night attacked his ex-girlfriend, who is now 23. They claim he severely mutilated her vagina and pelvic region and dragged her from her Lawrence apartment after he found her with another man on Oct. 9, 2007. He faces charges of aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery, aggravated burglary and making a criminal threat.

Jaeger’s defense attorneys, however, have said he found the woman injured and was trying to help her.

Carroll’s statement that he saw Jaeger break a window and enter her apartment contradicts what Jaeger told police in a video-taped interview. During that interview, which jurors saw on Friday, Jaeger said he never went inside the apartment.

‘Nervous’

Prior to going to the victim’s Lawrence apartment, Carroll testified that the two had been at All-Stars, a strip club in North Lawrence, for at least four hours, where Carroll said he had consumed 10 shots of alcohol.

At the victim’s apartment, Carroll said, he was standing outside the car smoking a cigarette when he saw a man he didn’t know run from the apartment. He testified that he then backed into a parking spot, when he heard a commotion coming from the apartment.

“I was sitting in that spot, listening to screaming and yelling and a lot of noise, and I was very nervous,” Carroll said. “As soon as the noise stopped, I felt I needed to get out of the car and go see what the situation was.”

Carroll told prosecutors he ran into the apartment as fast as he could. When he turned into the back bedroom he saw Jaeger and the victim on the bedroom floor, with the defendant hunched over the woman.

The three then left the apartment and Carroll, who was not familiar with Lawrence, said he assumed they were going to the hospital.

“(The victim) was voicing that she was hurt, that she was bleeding from inside and that she needed help,” Carroll testified.

Carroll denied that the men kidnapped the woman, which is contrary to what two witnesses said they saw at the apartment complex. Katelyn Hall and her boyfriend, Troy Gower, have testified that they saw two men pulling a woman down the stairs by her arms and her hair before forcing her into a car and speeding off.

As Jaeger and the victim got into the car, Carroll said, “I heard him say that ‘you were my girl.’”

Carroll was not charged in connection with the incident.

Police stop

The victim in the case testified earlier in the trial that Jaeger broke into her apartment, angry because she was with another man.

She said he choked her until she was unconscious, and she woke up with severe injuries to her vagina and pelvic area.

Prosecutors on Monday also played a recording for the jury of three voice mail messages that Jaeger left on the victim’s cell phone between 12:47 a.m. and 1:03 a.m., right before the incident took place.

“(Expletive), I’m pissed,” Jaeger can be heard saying. “Don’t ever not pick up my phone calls … let’s go, you and me, right now.”

But defense attorney Pedro Irigonegaray read dozens and dozens of text messages sent from the woman to Jaeger’s phone and said that not a single message mentioned violence.

Lawrence police officer Todd Polson, who stopped Jaeger’s car that night, testified that Jaeger’s car drove within a block of Lawrence Memorial Hospital on Michigan Street, and was headed away from the hospital when it was stopped near Sixth and Florida streets.

Polson also said he initially responded to the kidnapping call and believed it was college kids joking around. However, when he approached the car, he saw Carroll in the front seat. Jaeger, who was in the back seat, had blood on his shirt, and Polson noticed blood on the woman, who was sitting next to Jaeger.

“The seriousness of the call went up exponentially,” Polson said.

The officer’s testimony will continue at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Monday was the fourth full day of testimony, and Chief District Judge Robert Fairchild has said he expected jurors would be able to begin deliberations some time next week.

Comments

anyonelistening 5 years, 4 months ago

So he was pissed at her, challenged her then rushed over because he was fearful she was in danger from someone else? Did the defence not hear these voicemails? How do you build a case that he was going over to help her if you have heard voicemail of him get upset with her and threatening her? It will be interesting to see how they spin this one!

Oh and lets see were they expecting to see text messages from her to him discussing his abuse? Something like hey Matt-- could you please stop knocking me out?

yea that is what an abused woman would send to her abuser without fear of retribution. Look at what happened to her when she didn't answer her calls.

KansasPerson 5 years, 4 months ago

anyonelistening, your user name is so appropriate right now -- is anyone on the defense team actually listening to the evidence?!

Pedro is surprised that her text messages to him did not mention his violence towards her? Does this man actually KNOW any abused women??

I know, I know -- he's the defense, he has to do this -- but can't he scrape something up that isn't so stupid?

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

And I believe it was stated in another article that around June 2007 is when they broke up. Why not go back further to when they were still dating and see if there are any messages then mentioning violence? Personally, I wouldn't think there would be any at any time. Bringing it up would only serve to provoke him, I would think. And who the hell cares? Maybe he never, ever laid a hand on her before that, which I seriously doubt, it still does not mean he didn't do this. I just don't see someone being brutilized this badly and going this far in the process of having them prosecuted and intentionally accuse the wrong person. If I had been mutilated the way this woman had been, I'd sure as hell want the man who did it nailed to the wall by his pelvic region.

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

The defense is grasping at straws. Jaeger made "his state of mind" clear less than an hour before he broke into her apartment. Does it really matter what the content of her texts were between June and October 2007? She's not the one accused of commiting the crime. He is. This is not "evidence." It's a waste of time.

As a juror, I wouldn't give two hoots what the victim's relationship with Jaeger was like prior to October 9, 2007. The only thing that matters in this case is the crime he committed that day and any evidence presented that supports his culpability and/or innocence. So far, all evidence points to his guilt.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 4 months ago

well pretty bad when your friend tells the jury he saw you break the window and climb in. Slam the door real hard on him.

anyonelistening 5 years, 4 months ago

The driver is now testifying for the prosecution. Now we know why he has not been charged with anything. This should be the throw away the key testimony! All the lies will be exposed now!

anyonelistening 5 years, 4 months ago

Let him have his day in court and then years in jail! There has been no remorse which makes it so much worse. Can the judge start to question his release on bond? This looks so horribly bad for Jaeger, even he may finally get a jolt of reality that he is not spinning and buying his way out of this one. Probably a huge wake up call and instinct to now run! Can bond be revoked?

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

Starlight, you speak the truth. It's the foundation of our judicial system and I'm glad we have it. But I'm dumbfounded by the fact that Jaeger and his family insisted this go to trial. Surely they've heard the evidence. Do they assume that they can buy their way out of everything, just stupid or both? Pedro must be getting paid a mountain of money to defend the indefensible. I'm beginning to think that in Matthew Jaeger's case the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Daddy Jaeger better be ready to get his checkbook out for a civil trial, because I'm sure that's next.

ebyrdstarr 5 years, 4 months ago

Aggravated kidnapping is a severity level 1. The sentencing range on that is from 147 to 653 months, depending on his criminal history. For ag burglary, he can get 31-34 months. For ag battery, 38-43 months. For criminal threat, 5-7 months. The 3 lesser crimes get shorter sentences because criminal history cannot be used to enhance those. All of those sentences can be run consecutively.

As I recall, the state is going to seek an upward durational departure sentence. If they do and the jury finds an aggravating factor, the judge will be able to double the sentence.

HW 5 years, 4 months ago

While I don't think the amount of punishment allowed by law is going to be nearly enough, I don't see how a civil suit would effect daddy Jaeger in any way. I too agree that daddy Jaeger comes off as a huge d-bag, but he did not commit any crimes (that we know of anyway). So, I am wondering if there really is any way the victim could go after daddy's money in a civil suit?

anyonelistening 5 years, 4 months ago

I would think little Jaeger has a trust fund at risk......

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

The victim can't go after Daddy Jaeger's money, but she sure as heck can continue to haunt Matthew Jaeger for years beyond any sentence served. I'm assuming any future funds can be seized whether from employment or an inheritance. I'm also wondering if Jaeger was insured through his father's policy or if his father paid for his medical expenses out-of-pocket, since he is wealthy. Either way, I'm assuming the victim has accrued a mountain of medical bills and may continue to need treatment. If she wasn't covered by insurance, somebody will need to pick up the tab. If she was covered, her current insurance company and/or future insurance company probably won't continue to pay voluntarily for treatment related to this crime. I'm not sure. Either way, the victim will be living with her injuries for a lifetime. It's only fair that Jaeger does too.

KansasPerson 5 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for your help, ebyrdstarr. Thank goodness you had some law books to study up there at New Moon Farm. ;)

puddleglum 5 years, 4 months ago

ol' boy won't get more than 3 years max. he's not all that bad, just a good kid from chicago

Sunlover 5 years, 4 months ago

Wad ??? Your comment does not make sense.

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

logicsound09, His original attorney was working with the DA's office on a plea. I'm not sure if one was offered or not, but am curious as to why Pedro replaced Cornwell. I thought it may be because the family didn't want a plea or that he stepped down for other reasons. Not sure ...

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

Wad, exactly what did you have for lunch? And, what the heck is a black-male of double duce?

HW 5 years, 4 months ago

First of all, I agree with "Wad, what the hell are you talking about?"

aletheia I agree, if Matthew Jaeger has some sort of trust fund or bank account that she can get at, I believe she should get every bit of it, whether it is $200 or $200,000,000. I think he should be pimped out in prison and any proceeds should go to the victim (if he is found guilty). But, if ebyrdstarr's post is accurate, if he gets more than the maximum, he will get more than 60 years. I don't see him generating much of an income after this trial if he is found guilty.

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

does anyone know if mommy & daddy jaeger are in the courtroom?

shorttrees 5 years, 4 months ago

So, how scared of Jaeger is his good buddy Evan??

nekansan 5 years, 4 months ago

I also wouldn't be so sure that Daddy is judgment proof in this situation. If he was aware of previous violent offenses and he covered them up then he may have some liability due to his negligence that a civil case could use to recover damages. I'm also curious if they could somehow attach and recover damages from the bond that allowed him to be free for the duration of the criminal trial.

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 4 months ago

still trying to figure what wad said any clues people?

CrazyDiamond 5 years, 4 months ago

Wad, did you happen to be the vice presidential candidate in our last election?

kthxbi 5 years, 4 months ago

I think I know what Wad means, cause he sounds a lot like my ex. Wad:YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. If she is equally guilty, so are you.

HW 5 years, 4 months ago

I was wondering if Wad might be Waka1 reincarnate. Haven't heard from Waka1 in a while.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

Dude! It is almost 5:00. I want some of whatever Wad is smoking and/drinking! Of course, my posts would still continue be understandable.

Munsoned 5 years, 4 months ago

Mommy dearest and Daddy-O are in the courtroom.

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

they must be proud...this is some sick sh#t

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

"At the victim’s apartment, Carroll said, he was standing outside the car smoking a cigarette when he saw a man he didn’t know run from the apartment. ...I was...listening to screaming and yelling and a lot of noise, and I was very nervous,” Carroll said. “As soon as the noise stopped, I felt I needed to get out of the car and go see what the situation was.”

"When he (Carroll) turned into the back bedroom he saw Jaeger and the victim on the bedroom floor, with the defendant hunched over the woman."

============================================== So the screaming and yelling happened after he saw a man (Jones) running from the apartment. This goes to show that the victim was not injured by Jones. Otherwise, why would there be screaming and yelling between Jaeger and the victim after Jones left? Also, what motivated Jaeger to break the window? Has this been addressed yet?

When the noise stopped, Carroll got nervous and decided to go into her apartment. I bet he did. Why? Carroll was doing a welfare check. He knew how ticked off his friend was (otherwise they wouldn't have been there in the first place) and if things get quiet after lots of screaming, it can't be good. I'm assuming this is when Jaeger choked her into unconsciousness and mutilated her. It would not take long. There would have been plenty of time, between when it got quiet and when Carroll witnessed Jaeger hunching over the victim, for him to inflict her injuries.

igby 5 years, 4 months ago

I think Wad got shot at "All Stars", too! Lol.

This must be really tough for Jaeger's friend.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

I think it's likely Mommy and Daddy were too busy on the social circuit back in Deerfield and he spent too much time unsupervised and whenever Mommy and Daddy felt guilty about the neglect, they just bought him stuff. So he's just run wild and unchecked and gotten away with everything. He's never learned that his actions have consequences.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

Okay, question: What was Carroll doing in Lawrence? Was he also a KU student? Was he in town visiting? He claims he didn't know his way around Lawrence. If he was a KU student, I'd think he'd know his way around at least a bit. And as about 1/2 the posters (okay, that's an exaggeration) have said, he drove past a number of signs pointing the way to the hospital.

Grundoon Luna 5 years, 4 months ago

This guy is toast. They really do need to revoke his bond before his parents facilitate an escape from justice.

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

from what I know of abusers it is often a learned behavior...or else Jaeger is a Ted Bundy type sociopath...at any rate seems like he has "anger management" issues

igby 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm beginning to think that Jersey_Girl and Aletheia is right about Jaeger. His friend, Carroll, puts him and the victim, in the bedroom floor when he went in and found Jeager, hunched over her. 10 shots of liquor at "All Stars"; he was drunk on his a$$. Drugs too boot. He was wasted.

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

Jersey_Girl, I was wondering the same thing about his inability to find the hospital. Seems to me if he could find All-stars and a pizza place that the hospital would have been fairly easy.

Excuses, excuses, excuses ...

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

Igby, I'm glad you're coming around to seeing Jaeger for what he is.

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

I agree he is definitely a "bad seed"...whether it's learned behavior or inborn doesn't really matter. People like him can rarely be re-habbed...kind of like pedophiles, there's really no fixing them. Prison for a long time seems the best place for him.

been_there 5 years, 4 months ago

Had to drive down Michigan street in front of those apartments tonight towards 6th. At one point before 4th street the trees clear and you get a clear shot of the hospital, bright lights and all. They really could not have missed it. If she lived in the area and was conscious she could have directed them, and probably did, to the hospital. It clearly was not where they were headed. How can his parents even try to get him back out on the streets to do this to someone else? Do they really think he will stop?

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

If she came from a family with less money than his, he may have thought she was worth less as a person and that is why it was okay for him to demonstrate/practice/whatever his karate-type moves on her. Sort of like people who think it is okay to beat or kick their dogs. But you all maybe right; he learned that abusing women is acceptable at home. If this is true, we may hear about it before the defense is done. My sense is still that he is just a arrogant, spoiled brat who thinks he can get away with anything. Maybe the cops back home let the little rich kids get away with stuff, maybe his parents have been buying him out of scrapes his whole life. Usually, karate-type schools teach discipline and self-control. Obviously, this is not something Jaeger learned.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 4 months ago

"They really do need to revoke his bond before his parents facilitate an escape from justice."

There was a kid about 10 years ago who raped and held his girlfriend against her will in a KU dorm room. He was charged with rape and kidnapping. He was out on bond, his parents took him out of the country to escape prosecution. Yeah, Let's revoke his kid's bond before his parents can do the same for him!

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

logic - I think the prosecutors didn't offer a plea and wouldn't agree to one, especially since they had the driver testifying on their behalf. If he is convicted, they are planning on asking for beyond the usual sentencing. I think they knew they had the case locked up, there was no need to make a plea-bargain and their going to nail his ass.

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

I don't know if this is true or not but I heard that Jaeger had been in trouble before and his parents shipped him out of the country.

igby 5 years, 4 months ago

After spending the night at "All Stars", and 10 shots of liquor, it would be interesting to find out if he said anything to any of the dancers that they would remember, about his girl friend or anything that would indicate a possible disposition too her, that night.

Strip bars have always depressed me somewhat, the girls seemed trashy, and I really never understood exactly just what good it does a guy to get all hot from watching these girls and then get the "blue balls", and go home broker. Must be just for married men I suppose. Lol.

...on the other hand it does degrade women and put the guy in a dominate spoiling mode of a bad pent up attitude. Just exactly the kind of attitude where a drunk might go to his ex-girl friends house and smack her around.

Dated a few dancers in the past, never really met one that was sane. However, being around the other girls may have spoiled it for me. You know, the fantasy and mystery was over rather quickly, especially, quickly.

riverdrifter 5 years, 4 months ago

Ronda, Autie, Tange, TOB, Multi, even H_Lector? No response?! Hell, I'm going to Creede until the elk bugle.

igby 5 years, 4 months ago

river: You need to give your "WeGee Board", a rest. Take another bong hit and try to focus.

xfactor 5 years, 4 months ago

Weren't there witnesses who stated they saw two males escorting (pulling) the vitctim down the stairs? One grasping the victim by her hair and holding on to one of her arms, the other holding her other arm and putting her in the car? From carroll's testimony today it seems as though he gave the prosecution testimony about jaeger breaking into the apartment, but may have been untruthful about his involvement in how the victim left her apartment and made it into the car. Also, how could jaeger not know who drove him to the scene of the crime when the driver turns out to be his friend since kindergarten?

BlackVelvet 5 years, 4 months ago

"how could jaeger not know who drove him to the scene of the crime when the driver turns out to be his friend since kindergarten? "

Uh,,,,he's a lying P.O.S.????

Bladerunner 5 years, 4 months ago

CrazyDiamond (Anonymous) says…

Wad, did you happen to be the vice presidential candidate in our last election?

Exactly...Sounds like something Biden would say! Good point CrazyDiamond!

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know the statutory guidelines and definitions of kidnapping? This charge has the most teeth and will keep Jaeger in jail the longest. The defense is trying to paint the victim as willing to get into the car. Aren't most people willing to do what they're told after being attacked? I mean, if someone points a gun at you or threatens your physical safety, you do as you're told. The only thing you're "willing" to do at that point is stay alive.

The victim in the case had already been viciously attacked. When she becomes conscious, two men are standing over her, she's in pain, she's bleeding and she's scared. I think she would do exactly as she was told at that point. Or, as the neighbors have stated, she was dragged down the stairs (which is probably the truth, since they are objective witnesses). Either scenario goes to state of mind of the victim and Jaeger.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 4 months ago

The only thing the defense has going for it is:

1 - No one witnessed the mutilation. 2 - Although the defendant did leave a threatening message immediately before the victim was horribly attacked, he NEVER threatened her by text message (weak!!). 3 - The driver says she wasn't kidnapped. This says nothing about who ripped her genitals. It also comes from a man who has an interest in convincing the police that it wasn't a kidnapping (if it was, then he should be charged as well); and that man had twice as much booze as it would take to make a man drunk. He has personal motive to lie, and he was smashed. A poor witness.

He has NO defense. His only hope is that a jury would have a difficult time determining if it was more reasonable that the victim was 1) ripped up by her date, 2) fell on a pole in a very freakish way, or was 3) attacked by a man who had just threatened minutes before to do just that (and had means, motive and opportunity).

StephanieD123 5 years, 4 months ago

How could she have willingly got in his car??? She was seen being drug by her hair down two flights of stairs by these two animals for cryin out loud, then shoved in his car!!! I think after that she probably had head injuries and no clue what was happening and was probably in shock!!! That is kidnapping!!!! What else could it be?????

bangaranggerg 5 years, 4 months ago

Carroll admits that he was driving drunk? First - how do you possibly accept the testimony of someone who first admits they were drunk on a night they are trying to recall from two years ago? Second- He says they had 10 shots at the strip club and he was driving a vehicle, a vehicle that was pulled over by what has to be the world's worst cop. He let a defenseless woman covered in blood who he had literally been told was being kidnapped leave with a drunk driver and a deranged genital mutilator. Worst. cop. ever.

50YearResident 5 years, 4 months ago

Of course, Carroll had to say she went willingly of implicate himself in the kidnapping. Then he would be charged and sent to jail too!

Steve Jacob 5 years, 4 months ago

Might be hard to convict on the kidnapping, but everything else should stick. Carroll I think is credible because he really helped/hurt both sides.

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

Stephanie, I don't know if you were responding to my comment or not, so I want to clarify. I was just playing devil's advocate. I've served on a jury before and they have very clear guidelines and each one has to be met. If the jury buys Carroll's testimony, which I hope they don't, I was wondering if they take the circumstance into account and define "willing." I didn't know if the guidelines spell out "under duress" or "with the belief that their life was in danger." Personally, I believe the neighbors. They have no stake in this other than to tell the truth. I just know that sometimes, based on the testimony, things turn out differently. I would just hate for the kidnapping charge to be disproven and this monster spend less time in jail. Best case scenario is to make sure both bases or covered, so there is no possiblity that he receives a lesser sentence than he deserves.

StephanieD123 5 years, 4 months ago

Aletheia- Oh no i wasn't responding to your comment. I hadn't read it. Just commenting on Evan Carrolls testimony! You are good! Just irritated by his lying!

xfactor 5 years, 4 months ago

It appears the driver wants to give the prosecution a bone by admitting he saw Jaeger break the victim's apartment window and then go inside. However, it also appears he is being untruthful about his involvement in helping Jaeger drag the victim down the stairs and put her in Jaeger's car. Then he states that not only did the victim say she wanted to go to the hospital, but Jaeger also told him to drive her to the hospital. The police then pull the vehicle over heading away from the hospital and they tell the police they were "going for pizza."

Sometimes a victim is so frightened that they will comply with their attacker in hopes that if they do comply maybe the attacker won't be as angry and have mercy on them.

This is better stated in the book Criminal profiling: an introduction to behavioral evidence analysis by Brent Turvey and John Baeza (pg. 199) "Victim Compliance: This term refers to the situation when a victim acquiesces to an offender demand, readily and without hesitation. Certain victims may even proactively ask what they can do to please the offender so that they will be on their way. This does not mean that the event was consensual, or that no actual crime took place. It can be the result of fear of harm, or a resignation to the horrible events that are about to take place. Compliance, then, can be one way of resisting further injury."

nekansan 5 years, 4 months ago

Smitty. I got to say honestly I feel like we are getting more insight to the trial through your account that that of the LJW. They seem to hit the testimony at a very high level but don;t report on the details that really make up the meat of the charges. You however provide us the why and context behind the big pull quote.

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

Stephanie -- Good. I wouldn't ever want to seem sympathetic to that scum bag or to his defense team for that matter.

Smitty -- Thanks for bird's eye view. There is a rotten stench floating west from the courthouse. I just don't know if I want to smell it up close. Then again, I may. It'll be hard not to give that whole family the stink eye, though. (or a piece of my mind for that matter)

xfactor -- Thanks for the book excerpt. That was my point exactly. Surely, kidnapping guidelines take into account the circumstances a victim is compliant.

xfactor 5 years, 4 months ago

smitty (Anonymous) says…

"FWIW, Mattthew Jaeger has lost quite a bit of weight and is looking haggard."

I wouldn't be surprised if Jaeger was instructed to loose weight, shave his beard and mustache and wear glasses in order to create a persona of a slightly built, clean cut, intelligent looking young man. I saw him yesterday and he looks drastically different than he did the day of arrest. Too bad his booking photo couldn't be posted on the wall during the entirety of the trial so the jury could be reminded of who Jaeger was the night of the attack, rather than the version presented at trial.

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

hopefully the jury will remember the video of Jaeger licking blood off of himself

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

do they ever revoke bond during a trial?

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm curious as to why the prosecution did not ask him about if and how he "assisted" her down the stairs??

ksdivakat 5 years, 4 months ago

Logic....I cant believe I am saying this, but I totally agree with you. Carroll has no credibility as a witness due to the fact that he had drank so much, and the prosecution will tear that all apart. Is it possible that Carroll made a deal for immunity in order to testify? Sorry Im a little behind on the story and trying to catch up!

farmgal 5 years, 4 months ago

I have a family member who was arrested for felony kidnapping of his ex-girlfriend. He beat her up also. He plea bargained and served less than a year in the Do. Co Jail. He was raised no different than his siblings, and they are decent, good people. Some people are just bad seeds. He's one of those. Maybe Jaeger is one of those also.

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

If Pedro is trying to minimize the extent of the victim's injuries, he's going to be fresh out of luck when the docs testify. The victim was in the hospital for weeks, had several surgeries and needed home health assistance when she returned home. Pedro is just grasping for straws and looks like a fool while doing it.

firestone321 5 years, 4 months ago

my uneducated guess is that if the defense can get a "not guilty"on the kidnapping charge they would consider that a win...probably the whole reason they went to trial...Carroll may know that mommy and daddy jaeger will "make it right with him" to throw his testimony that way

Bladerunner 5 years, 4 months ago

I cant deside if deerfield is joking or not. I guess its kinda funny but mostly pathetic.

leafblower 5 years, 4 months ago

deerfield kiper....a bonafide chicagoland astroturfer

introversion 5 years, 4 months ago

You're barking up the wrong tree, pal.

How about everyone who wants to see Matt Jaeger behind bars give our buddy Kip a call?

ksdivakat 5 years, 4 months ago

Just one question for deerfield then.....if your friend is innocent, then why did the victim tell this story?? Why did the eyewitnesses say the seen him drag her down the stairs by her hair? Why was he going the opposite way of the hospital? Why did he lie to the police and tell them he had bitten his fingernails until they bled when clearly it was HER blood on him? I understand NOT wanting to believe that your friend is capable of this, but perhaps it is you who should really take a look at the evidence and wait until a jury has its say to make a determination of innocence.

leafblower 5 years, 4 months ago

Deerfieldkiper....why would Jaeger require (much less solicit) public donations? The Cour d'Alene (Idaho) Resort that his father co-owns features a suite bearing the family name that costs 4-figures a night to occupy.

leafblower 5 years, 4 months ago

"Cour d'Alene Resort's Jaeger Suite--get settled in, and then allow us to provide you hospitable service that includes a complimentary smashing of your window, mutilation of your nether region, and subsequent character assassination that lasts for years thereafter."

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 4 months ago

Considering the wealth of his parents and the amount of money they are willing to spend on this trial my guess is that deerfieldkiper is a scammer. They come out of the woodwork at the first scent of money.

puddleglum 5 years, 4 months ago

c'mon now, trolls come out in the afternoon

TheEleventhStephanie 5 years, 4 months ago

"...was an avid animal rights activist that spoke out against animal cruelty " I like Deerfield's use of past tense. Like it's an obit or like Jaeger wont still love puppies and kittens in prison. Srsly.

aletheia 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey, Deerfield, isn't kipe slang for stealing?? So, does this mean you're a thief from Deerfield? Wow. Remind me never to visit Deerfield, again. I didn't realize the number of loons that live there.

StephanieD123 5 years, 4 months ago

deerfield- Sounds more like an obituary! Save it for another time.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

Oh, come now, everybody. We all know the crazy friend/relative has to come out of the woodwork to post at least once about what "a good hearted person" he is. Nothing worth getting your panties in a twist about. Personally, I got a good laugh out of deerfield's post.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

Jaeger would have to have a heart to be good-hearted.

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 4 months ago

Nah, I was waiting until after midnight. And then I thought I'd call approximately 28 times in 40 minutes.

puddleglum 5 years, 4 months ago

this sounds totally believabalaelblelbel.... I drank a dozen shotz at allstarzzzz....hic....hic.....chi...chi...