Archive for Thursday, April 30, 2009

KU lends 2008 basketball championship trophy to speaker of Kansas House

Kansas' Sherron Collins hoists the trophy on Monday, April 7, 2008 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

April 30, 2009

— Kansas University officials have loaned the 2008 men’s basketball championship trophy to House Speaker Mike O’Neal, R-Hutchinson.

“Knowing Speaker O’Neal is a Jayhawk and strong supporter of KU, Provost (Richard) Lariviere offered to let him display the trophy in his office,” said KU spokesman Jack Martin.

“We thought it would be a nice way to lighten things up for the basketball fans in the Statehouse, given the very difficult decisions legislators are having to make on the budget,” Martin added.

The provost took the trophy to O’Neal’s office on Wednesday, the day lawmakers started their wrap-up session, facing a $328 million budget deficit and proposing to make further cuts to education, health and social services.

The trophy is expected to stay in O’Neal’s office behind the House chamber through May 13, Martin said.

Bruce Bertsch 6 years, 7 months ago

Risking the potential sale of the trophy to raise funds for the budget.

kmat 6 years, 7 months ago

So, O'Neal and Lariviere must be long time buddies. That trophy is supposed to be on display at the Fieldhouse, not sitting in some lawmakers office.

jakehillku 6 years, 7 months ago

rediculous, why are we giving our trophy to a bunch of clowns that cant balance a budget....

somebodynew 6 years, 7 months ago

moderationman - no you have that all wrong. He probably respects the trophy, unlike the State Employees he keeps trying to s**ew, by holding paychecks hostage and trying to mandate furloughs.

Personally, I won't "loan" that man the ........... OK, I will stop there.

Phillbert 6 years, 7 months ago

kmat, the Fieldhouse is closed for renovations. They shut it down after the last home game.

hip_gma 6 years, 7 months ago

And for the visitors going to the Hall of Athletics they get to see an empty spot because some lawmaker is a jayhawk supporter? Can I borrow it to show my mother? Her health does not allow her to get out. She's a jayhawk supporter too.

hip_gma 6 years, 7 months ago

Oops. Just saw the comment that the Fieldhouse is closed. Still don't agree with the Provost's decision.

anotherdayinparadise 6 years, 7 months ago

absolutly re-f'ing-diculous. Maybe he can gaze upon it as he wastes more tax-payers money and as he tries to unsuccessfully ramrod a coal bill through for the sixth? time. I'm a jayhawk and a strong supporter of KU, can I keep this in my house when there are difficult financial decisions to deal with.

gccs14r 6 years, 7 months ago

Danimal 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure we could all use a little championship trophy magic in our homes and offices. KU should start a sign-up sheet so everyone can sign up to have the trophy in their home or place of work for a few days.

Keith 6 years, 7 months ago

He's hoping the trophy will magically protect him from charges of nepotism.

fletch 6 years, 7 months ago

thats a nice little reminder to the state legislature not not mess with KUAC

4getabouit 6 years, 7 months ago

What did O'Neal do to rate having the trophy......other than continue to cut university funds. Perhaps his wife will polish it.

password 6 years, 7 months ago

lariviere is just getting a stab in before he leaves. he just offered it out of the blue? i don't think so...

ebyrdstarr 6 years, 7 months ago

No need to worry about O'Neal selling the trophy to raise revenue; remember he said he wouldn't even consider raising revenues, at least not until after he tried closing the budget gap by squeezing state employees.

Larry Bauerle Jr. 6 years, 7 months ago

"Knowing Speaker O’Neal is a Jayhawk and strong supporter of KU"

He may root for the basketball team, but everything else he does shows no support for KU or any other educational institution. Unfortunately, no Republicans in Hutchinson would dare run against him. He deserves his own chapter in "What's the Matter with Kansas."

gccs14r 6 years, 7 months ago

Wow. My post got nuked. I think that's a first, but I'm not sure. Someone must like O'Neal.

Rickyonealku 6 years, 7 months ago

I have a photo of the National Champinship Trophy and the Orange Bowl Trophy on my cell phone and can view at any time. So fans when the trophy is returned then take your OWN photo....OKAY and stop crying....Rock Chalk Jayhawks....until football season...then basketball should be a great great 2009-2010 year for Kansas....

truman1902 6 years, 7 months ago

I'd rest easier with the hard earned trophy behind the bar at the AXIS!!!

Orwell 6 years, 7 months ago

Maybe they should have let him display 95% of the trophy.

napoleon969 6 years, 7 months ago

So, O'Neal is KU athletic supporter. Does that make him a jock strap with a big KU Jayhawk on the pouch?

MyDogHoudini 6 years, 7 months ago

This seems like a good idea to me. It will be a constant reminder to the legislature what a great place KU is. I think it will make it harder for them to cut the KU budget, and I bet that's exactly why they lent it to him.

nobody1793 6 years, 7 months ago

"Can I borrow it to show my mother?"

Sure, as long as SHE doesn't cut my pay.

roger_o_thornhill 6 years, 7 months ago

THIS is the headline today? Who the hell cares?

Logan5 6 years, 7 months ago

The correct term is "inbreds".

I prefer the term "genetically disenfranchised".

persevering_gal 6 years, 7 months ago

Danimal -

I like your idea of the sign-up sheet! How clever! Can you put me down for this weekend as I write a couple of final papers? I may need it the following weekend as well as I study for my final exam.

cthulhu_4_president 6 years, 7 months ago

Um, it's their trophy, right? Can't they do with it what they want? Was there a similar outrage when KU loaned out their collection of historic letters (from Lincoln, if I remember correctly)?

I'm inclined to agree with MyDog. Anytime the legistlators think of cutting KU's budget, someone will have to look at the trophy, they will sigh and think to themselves "Gee, that sure brought in a lot of $$$".

truman1902 6 years, 7 months ago

It's my belief that once legislators view the NCAA title trophy, a few will be inclined to surf the KU curriculum list for offensive class subjects taught by radical faculty..Diverting attention from ax-wielding house & senate budget cutters representing rural districts snags headlines and labels them as advocates of "lean government"..Lean government usually equals chopping personnel from state payrolls, then awarding lucrative contracts to private entities to do the SAME job for MORE dollars, but resulting in legislators keeping their "high & tight" government watchdog name tag on display for all to marvel in wide-eyed wonder..Out of town contractors receive the business..Laid-off state associates are left to forage for unemployment scraps, while tax revenues dip down even further...ENJOY the trophy, ladies & gentlemen!

Joseph Jarvis 6 years, 7 months ago

Textbook Washington Monument Syndrome. I know politics is cutthroat, but can someone remind me how it's ethical for public employees to lobby for funding for their organization. And if I get one more Alumni Association e-mail crying about budget cuts from the Chancellor, no doubt acting in a "personal capacity"... At the federal level, astroturfing with public money is illegal. Not sure about Kansas law. I'm sure they'd claim there was no violation since the Alumni Association paid for it, but talk about violating the spirit of ethics.