Archive for Friday, April 24, 2009

Group apologizes for wrongfully criticizing Jenkins over earmarks

April 24, 2009

— The earmark controversy has taken another turn.

The Club for Growth, which on Wednesday criticized U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins, R-Topeka, for violating her pledge against earmarks, on Thursday issued an apology.

The Washington D.C.-based group said — as Jenkins’ office had maintained — that the freshmen legislator never swore against seeking earmarks, but instead vowed to restrict her earmark requests.

On Wednesday, The Club for Growth issued a news release saying it was removing Jenkins from its “Sworn Off Earmarks” list. On Thursday, the group said Jenkins should never have been on the list to start with.

“We apologize for the error,” said The Club for Growth.

During her successful 2008 campaign for Congress, Jenkins, whose 2nd U.S. House District includes west Lawrence, criticized her opponents for voting for earmarks, which are appropriations for specifically requested projects tucked away in large spending bills.

But since being elected, Jenkins has requested earmarks.

She said Jenkins has submitted 23 projects totaling $70 million to the House Appropriations Committee for consideration. The projects would help military installations, communities and public universities, she said.

Comments

camper 5 years ago

I kind of wish Ryun won this election now.

Starlight 5 years ago

I hope the robocalling bitch is ridden out on a rail next election.

Tom Shewmon 5 years ago

Oh well, at least the initial message got out there. If the corrupt liberal media started issuing apologies for all of their reporting over the years, they'd not get the current news reported for about a year.

redmoonrising 5 years ago

I can see it happening. When you fill out applications asking for sex, race, religion they will be asking political affiliation. All of these things determine who we are after all. Since I am apolitical, I find it amusing to read blogs like this where the finger pointing and raspberries determine who is right, no pun, or wrong. Honestly, I will never for the life of me see why my being affliated with any one party means that I have to close my mind to all other ideas and theories. I have always voted for the person I felt would do the better job, never a straight ticket, and never influenced by the negative and stupid TV ads. If I were smitten by one party, then I would agree with all their ads and all the other party's would be lies. Wouldn't it be refreshing to have one election where every politician was frankly open and honest about where they stood on issues instead of trying to make themselves look better by trashing their opponents? Politics to me is the biggest game in the world where no one has to think for themselves, just parrot what they are led to believe. At least it's a good laugh. I've lived through lots of elections. I survived Bush, I'll survive Obama. I'll even survive Jenkins.

camper 5 years ago

Texburgh. Democratic earmarks are Socialism. Republican earmarks are merely fine print that they deal with if ever called on them.

But these are not just earmarks Jenkins voted "yes" on, they are ones she actually proposed (23 projects, $70m). Probably decent projects and worthwhile, yet just more proof to be wary of politicians who get elected for demonizing socialism and government/business ventures.

texburgh 5 years ago

Clearly Club for Growth made a mistake. The mistake was that they thought Jenkins was a Democrat. As soon as they realized she was a Republican they apologized for being mean to her. Republican earmarks are good earmarks; Democratic earmarks are the porky ones. Thank goodness, CFG found their error!

duplenty 5 years ago

Oh, conservatives...is there anything you can't completely f**k up?

tempting_butnothanks 5 years ago

every political ad is a clever ruse to mislead voters. wtf do you think political ads are for?

jayhawklawrence 5 years ago

Jenkins won with an avalanche of very clever ads that misled voters in the last week of the election. Funded by Republican bigs out of DC who swore they would get that seat back.

They had reason to be confident in their strategy. In Kansas, it works very well for them.

logicsound04 5 years ago

By the way, this group's apology seem kind of tongue in cheek to me--"we're sorry for giving you credit for something you misled people about during your election"

Did anyone else feel that way?

logicsound04 5 years ago

"Jenkins’ spokeswoman Mary Geiger said that Jenkins would prefer a ban on earmarks, but since they are a reality, Jenkins said she would request projects in her district that serve a legitimate purpose."

So many things wrong with this statement.

1) If she prefers a ban on earmarks, how exactly does requesting them fit with that reasoning? I would think that the first step towards banning them is to stop requesting them, then begin working on getting them banned altogether. You kind of lose credibility on your "preference" to ban earmarks when you are using them yourself. It sounds more like her "preference" is to ban other people's use of earmarks.

"Hey, we should ban earmarks! You first!"

2) They are a reality because people continue to use them. Jenkins is apparently one of those people.

3) Who is to say what a "legitimate purpose" is? Isn't that one of the problems with earmarks--that the purpose seems pretty legitimate to the person requesting it, but may not be so legitimate from an outside perspective. Thank god we have someone who is capable of objectively determining what constitutes "legitimate".

Every time I see this snake in the news, I get mad all over again that the idiot voters elected her over Boyda, who did a respectable, and MODERATE job in her first term. I don't agree with everything Boyda did, but she was genuine and honest, and didn't march in lock-step with the national Democratic party, like Jenkins clearly does with the Republican party.

Way to sell out your local voice Kansas.

Bob_Keeshan 5 years ago

When did Club for Growth put her on the list? During the campaign.

Funny, she didn't want to correct their error last October.

tempting_butnothanks 5 years ago

i get a feeling that if this were a Democrat facing these issues, there wouldn't be these two messages above me.

Kirk Larson 5 years ago

"Boyda's behavior is bad, but I'm going to do it anyway" Still makes her a hypocrite.

BABBOY 5 years ago

What a bunch of wimps. Jenkins lied about the ear marks. She is your traditional baby kissing say anything to get elected politician.

They must want something from her.

(If they are Republicans or Chamber of Commerce based, then they do not need to appologize, she will help them)