Archive for Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Alcohol may have contributed to injury accident, police say

April 22, 2009, 5:02 a.m. Updated April 22, 2009, 6:18 a.m.

A 28-year-old man was flown to KU Hospital in Kansas City after a single-vehicle accident in the 500 block of Lawrence Avenue Wednesday morning, police said.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said the man, a Lawrence resident, was driving his 2000 Toyota southbound at 2:05 a.m. Wednesday when he struck the curb and lost control of the vehicle.

The front end of his vehicle struck a concrete mailbox, causing his car to spin around and go airborne, Hadl said. The rear end of his car then struck a tree.

Emergency medical personnel transported him to Lawrence Memorial Hospital after the accident. He was flown by air ambulance to KU Hospital at 6 a.m., Hadl said. She said doctors were taking precautionary measures and examining for potential head injuries.

"He had many facial lacerations," she said. "They were checking him out to see if there were any internal problems."

Hadl said alcohol was likely a contributing factor in the accident. She was unsure if the driver was wearing his seatbelt.

The driver's name was not available Wednesday morning.

Comments

roger_o_thornhill 5 years, 8 months ago

How fast do you have to be going for an accident like that? I've been hit by a van while on a bike and didn't sustain injuries like that. Ah, and our good friend alcohol. How many accidents on Monday night? Not that I'm saying anything, but wasn't that the "holiday" for the reefers?...compared to St. Pat's, New Years, or say, just about any weekend in this town? Oh yeah, hope he's all right, and all that...etc...etc...

To be sure, I don't condone being under the spell of any outside influence whilst driving...I think too many people have licenses and cars than should as it is.

mommyoffour 5 years, 8 months ago

I wondered what happened there when I drove by, I came home and got on ljworld and WOW! That mail box was pulled all the way out of the ground. This was not your normal mailbox, it was huge. Then the marks on the tree were up really high, I thought it would of had to be a tall truck or something that hit it. He had to have been going pretty fast. Hope he is ok and he learned a lesson. It could of easily killed a person or him.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

when he struck the curb and lost control of the vehicle

now that's one heck of a curb.... not to mention the mailblock

Raider 5 years, 8 months ago

Once again we have to call in Life Flight.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

Raider - have you not yet figured out that if you stub your toe they will find some rationale for calling Life Flight?? That is just their protocol now (and health care costs are soaring, why??)

akt2 5 years, 8 months ago

LMH isn't a trauma center. The patient was taken there first. They don't transfer patients out for no reason.

13MLEF 5 years, 8 months ago

I would like to show my support for this young man, his friends, and his family. For those of you doing otherwise you clearly have nothing better to do. It is clear in this article that police are speculating what factors contributed to the accident. Maybe instead of posting here about the callousness of drunk driving you should go out into the community and do something about it. Shame on you for questioning his character when you know nothing about him and were not there.

somebodynew 5 years, 8 months ago

akt2 - I understand about the trauma center rankings, my problem is they always use the helicopter even when the paramedic on scene (different article-not this one) says the injuries are not life threatening. It would be a whole lot cheaper to drive people who go to LMH first (where they should be evaluated and stabilized) than to just fly them there. I know I am old, but I seem to remember that being done a whole lot and the helicopter was only used in true life-threatening cases.

Dec84 5 years, 8 months ago

If drinking while driving was ever legalized, would that mean that you would have to drink from a clear glass so you could see where you are going?