Archive for Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Questions, answers about unemployment benefits

April 21, 2009


Here are questions and answers about unemployment benefits from the Kansas Department of Labor.

Q. What information do I need to file a new claim?

You will need:

• Social Security number.

• Mailing address, including ZIP code and P.O. Box if you use one, and telephone number.

• The name and mailing address of all your employers in the past 18 months, no matter how long you worked there.

• The date you began and stopped working for each employer, and the reason you left each job.

• The county in which you live.

• Driver’s license number.

• If you are not a citizen or national of the U.S., your employment authorization and expiration date.

• If you were in the military during the past two years, your DD-214, Copy No. 4.

• If you were a federal employee, your Standard Form SF-50 or Form SF-8.

Q. Should I file online or by phone?

A. Usually, it is much faster to file online. However, you must file by phone if you worked in a state other than Kansas in the past 18 months; you filed an unemployment claim in other state in the past 12 months; you were in the military service or a federal employee in the past 18 months.

Q. What happens after I file a new claim?

A. After you file, you will receive an “Unemployment Insurance Determination Letter” that will show the start date of your unemployment claim; your base period; the amount of wages paid by each employer; your weekly benefit amount; your total benefit amount.

Q. What important things should I remember?

A. Your unemployment claim is effective the week you file, not the week you became unemployed. Report any claim information changes (address, telephone number, etc.) to the Kansas Unemployment Call Center.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.