Archive for Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Iranian leader sparks walkout after calling Israel cruel, racist

April 21, 2009

— Dozens of Western diplomats walked out of a U.N. conference and a pair of rainbow-wigged protesters threw clown noses at Iran’s president Monday when the hard-line leader called Israel the “most cruel and repressive racist regime.”

The United States decried the remarks by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as hateful — reinjecting tension into a relationship that had been warming after President Barack Obama sought to engage Iran in talks on its nuclear program and other issues.

Ahmadinejad — the first government official to take the floor at the weeklong event in Geneva — delivered a rambling, half-hour speech that was by turns conciliatory and inflammatory. At one point he appealed for global unity in the fight against racism and then said the United States and Europe helped establish Israel after World War II at the expense of Palestinians.

“They resorted to military aggression to make an entire nation homeless under the pretext of Jewish suffering,” he said.

Jewish groups had lobbied heavily for a boycott of the conference, warning it could descend into anti-Semitism or other anti-Israel rhetoric, which marred the last such conference eight years ago in South Africa.

The meeting turned chaotic almost from the start when the two wigged protesters tossed the red clown noses at Ahmadinejad as he began his speech with a Muslim prayer. A Jewish student group from France said it had been trying to convey “the masquerade that this conference represents.”

One of the protesters shouted “You are a racist!” before he and the other demonstrator were taken away by security.

Ahmadinejad interjected: “I call on all distinguished guests to forgive these ignorant people. They don’t have enough information.”

During his speech, he accused Israel of being the “most cruel and repressive racist regime” and blamed the U.S. invasion of Iraq on a Zionist conspiracy.

At the first mention of Israel, about 40 diplomats from Britain and France and other European Union countries exited the room.

Most of his remarks were not new but their timing and high profile could complicate U.S. efforts to improve ties with Iran. Alejandro Wolff, the U.S. deputy ambassador to the U.N., denounced what he called “the Ahmadinejad spectacle.”

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, asked by reporters about Ahmadinejad’s remarks, replied: “Obviously, the president disagrees vehemently with what was said, as, from some of the video I saw, so did many others.”

Gibbs said it proved that the United States was right to boycott the conference. Germany, Italy and at least six other countries also refused to attend the event, which began on the eve of Israel’s Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

It's a shame that it takes a crackpot like Ahmadinejad to point out the very large elephant in the room.

craigers 5 years, 11 months ago

Ahmadinejad, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black I don't know what is.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

"Ahmadinejad, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black"

Likely so, craigers, but that doesn't make the kettle any less black.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 11 months ago

I love rants from historical "revisionists" (that's what holocoust deniers like to be called nowadays). If this nutbag told me that rain was wet I would still check for sure before believing him.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

Interestingly, Ahmadinejad dropped references contained in the original text of this speech.

From the article-----

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad dropped language describing the Holocaust as "ambiguous and dubious" from a speech attacking Israel at a United Nations racism conference, the U.N. said Tuesday.

The U.N. and the Iranian Mission in Geneva did not comment on why the change was made, but U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Monday that he had met with Ahmadinejad before his speech and reminded him that the U.N. had adopted resolutions "to revoke the equation of Zionism with racism and to reaffirm the historical facts of the Holocaust."

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 11 months ago

"The version of the holocaust taught to me in grade school has already been revised;"

If you mean "revised" as in the process during which historical findings are recorded from their primary sources, tabulated, interpreted, reviewed and then printed for mass distribution then, yes, your 6th grade reader was "revised". If, however, you mean "revised" in the way that fools such as Ahmadinejad partake of which includes the omission of primary documents which don't support their own personnal views, with no independant review, then you need to read a new book. If you haven't read a book about the holocaust since grade school, that may be part of the problem.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 11 months ago

Some one correct me please if I am wrong. But does not 4/5 of "palistine" land fall within the boarders of Lebanon ?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 11 months ago

" I remember numbers like 20,000,000 being thrown around; I think the new number is close to 6,000,000."

The 6 million figure has been the generally accepted number for as long as I can remember. I never heard the 20 million figure. What history book(s) were you reading?

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 11 months ago

Yes, he's a nutbag, but that does not make this statement any less true: “They resorted to military aggression to make an entire nation homeless under the pretext of Jewish suffering,”. The "creation" of the Jewish state, as if there was no one residing there at the time, is the root of all the conflict that currently resides there. How come almost all other territories of British Imperialism were returned to their rightful owners except this one?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 11 months ago

Arumer, I feel that any attempt to correct your interpretation of this period of German history would be futile. Instead I leave you with these wise words (not originally spoken by me): "What you or I believe doesn't matter. What matters is what the facts show. " You obviously haven't tried very hard to find the facts.

TheYetiSpeaks 5 years, 11 months ago

Cooky- The people who were living there when the British gave/sold the Jews the land...i.e.- Palestinians. For instance the British gave back Hong Kong to the Chinese...Makes sense, right? Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-semitic and have nothing against Jews, but the handling of that land was horrible.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, heck, I know a few frequent posters on this site that cry foul when it comes to racial minority organizations like the NAACP. They're racist, right?

I wonder how y'all feel about Ahmedinejad using one of your own tricks...

Shane Garrett 5 years, 11 months ago

Yeti: Are you thinking of the 1917 Balfour declaration? Cause the Jewish people pretty much ran all of Europes blockades and then faught to establish their own boarders. Much like Saudi Arabia. But I don't hear anyone calling for the Royal Saudi family to be giving back the land they stole under the guise of Wahhabism.

RedwoodCoast 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh, like those who say that organizations like the NAACP are racist towards us poor ol' white people. Of course, I doubt anyone would openly admit that they are racist, you have to have a pretty skewed world view to see such organizations as inherently racist and, therefore, problematic. And don't play dumb, Tom. I'm not going to go through posting histories to invoke "I told you so's," but I think you know whose these people are just as well as do I and every other semi-frequent poster on this site.

The next trick would be for someone to label me racist for even bringing this up. Go for it; you'll only prove my point.

jaywalker 5 years, 11 months ago

Always a brick wall discussion. I do find it funny that those who frequently rail against Israel and have no problem calling the state 'racist' completely ignore the fact that they've had to defend themselves from attacks from virtually every country in the Middle East. And the attacks were spurred merely because they are....whoops...Jewish. Israel has had to endure severe racism forever. But I 'spose that's ok. Also, a number of the commenters on this string fail to grasp their own hypocrisy. It's kitchy to wail against the U.S. when it comes to things like "how we took the land from Native Americans". This was their land, we stole it, and reparations need be made. But check me if I'm wrong, is not Israel established right back where they used to be? That is, before the Muslim invasions that stole their land initially? Huh. Also, Israel was established by the Brits, not the U.S., and repatriation began in the late 1800's and continued to grow with the help of the League of Nations after WWI and later the UN.
Would it be preferable if Palestine and Israel, let alone the Middle East, could live in peace? No doubt about it. But from the onset Israel has tried to live by compromise, and there've been no takers. From the moment they declared themselves an independent state, the very moment, everyone that surrounds them has attacked them. They've tried to live in harmony amongst their neighbors only to have their sons and daughters blown to smithereens while getting a slice of pizza. Let's see how you'd behave under the same conditions.

jaywalker 5 years, 11 months ago

And Iwannajihad's a large type bass whole.