Archive for Monday, April 20, 2009

Handgun missing after police arrest vacationing couple

April 20, 2009

Lawrence police arrested a Jacksonville, N.C., couple Monday morning after a domestic disturbance involving several handguns and a broken windshield, police said.

Sgt. Michael McLaren said the couple, a 20-year-old man and his 19-year-old wife, was on vacation doing target practice. They had three handguns in their car. The dispute began at a party about midnight when the woman threw beer on her husband, McLaren said. The husband went out to their Mercury Milan, grabbed two handguns and smashed out the windshield of the vehicle. He then ran away from the party, and she went looking for him.

When officers found the couple in the 100 block of East Ninth Street at 12:20 a.m., the man had only one weapon on him. It was not loaded. He had dropped the other handgun while running away from the party, McLaren said.

Police searched for the weapon from Ninth to 13th streets between every house on Rhode Island and Connecticut streets. McLaren said it was likely that somebody at the party found the weapon and picked it up. If anybody should come across the weapon, he said, they should call police immediately at (785) 841-7210. They shouldn't touch the weapon, he said.

McLaren said the man was arrested on charges of domestic criminal damage and carrying a concealed weapon. The woman was arrested on charges of domestic battery.

Comments

BalkansHawk 8 years, 8 months ago

"Sgt. Michael McLaren said the couple, a 20-year-old man and his 19-year-old wife, was on vacation doing target practice."

My idea of a great vacation is going to Colorado to do some hiking and sight seeing. I never would have thought about taking a vacation driving from Lawrence to North Carolina to do target practice.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 8 months ago

Running drugs could be the vacation of the future. You get to see the country, party with the locals,and bring your spouse along as a team driver. Dont forget to pack an extra gun though.You never know when you'll find yourself running through a stange town at Midnight. Gun advocates everywhere must be proud.

Flap Doodle 8 years, 8 months ago

I LOL when Nick gets all judgmental & stern & stuff. Too bad he doesn't have a forum of his very own where he can indulge himself. Oh, wait, he used to, but if failed miserably.

alm77 8 years, 8 months ago

Balkans, I'm with you. I was married at 20 and our honeymoon was a road trip through Memphis, to New Orleans to Gulf Shores. Then back through Tupelo, back to Memphis (where we toured Graceland) and then home. We got searched by the cops in Alabama, too. We had out of state tags, were looking for our turn and didn't stop at the yellow-turning-red light. They didn't find anything of course, we were there for the food, the beaches and the souvenirs; no guns needed.

Christine Anderson 8 years, 8 months ago

When referring to two or more persons, i.e., " a 20 yr. old man and his 19 yr. old wife", the correct grammar is "were on vacation doing target practice", not "was". Geez, did at least one LJW reporter flunk 9th grade English? As for the adorable couple, they sound like a match made in Hades.

brujablanco 8 years, 8 months ago

It's interesting, snap - how important and knowledgable M.S. Lynn tries to sound. I have a couple of friends, one a criminal defense attorney, the other, an old retired PI - both worked in law enforcement/AG's office back in the Vern Miller days. Boy, could I tell you some stories about the guy we call Marion and his need for carrying a gun to compensate for... well, you know the rest.

Too bad about the "lost gun". Hope they find it and I hope this young couple gets some help with their marriage - if nothing else, they need a better travel agent.

Jonathan Kealing 8 years, 8 months ago

misplacedcheesehead- Wrong there. The operating noun in the sentence is couple, which is a singular noun, therefore the couple was vacationing in Lawrence. Doesn't matter how many clauses you put between the noun and the verb, the verb always takes its number from the operating noun of the setence.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

hannahss 8 years, 8 months ago

Actually, in a word like "couple", each was acting independently, thus "were". They were not functioning as a single unit, either grammatically, or actually.

Jonathan Kealing 8 years, 8 months ago

Hannahss- But you wouldn't say Lawrence police arrested couple from North Carolina. You have to say the Lawrence police arrested a couple, because the couple is a collective noun. And as a collective noun, it would be treated as a singular object.

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

I agree with jkealing,

"was" was correct!

coolmarv 8 years, 8 months ago

Marion, I think you should go ahead with your plan. Sounds like a good idea. No need to keep those files just laying around, gatherind dust. and Why do you have copies of the case files with intelligence report and pics anyways?

Please, no one reply with any grammatical corrections to what I have written.

Boston_Corbett 8 years, 8 months ago

Marion: "Host everything on a bullet-proof offshore server located in a country which doesn't give a rat's patootie about privacy, your complaints or objections."

I wonder why Marion is so often accused by others of being a spammer?

Boston_Corbett 8 years, 8 months ago

And Marion has promised on these boards he would publish at least two books.

har-de-har-har

DeMontfort 8 years, 8 months ago

So, Jonathan, why does the paper print the sentence "the couple reside in..." in the wedding announcements? Should it be "resides"? Thanks.

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

Marion,

What are you referring to?

Do you have a bunch of pictures and case files of hippies who were running around Lawrence in the 70's or something. Did a lot of them end up becoming business owners and local politicians? Just curious.

newsreader 8 years, 8 months ago

They are on vacation doing target practice, but the guns were never discharged? So were they doing target practice or were there just a few guns in the car.

AND how mad do you have to be to smash the windows of your own car... idiot... ha

hannahss 8 years, 8 months ago

In the case of arresting a couple, the word "couple" is an object, not a subject. Verb form does not apply. When a collective noun such as couple is used as a subject, the singular or plural form of the verb depends on whether the subject/collective noun is acting in unison, or individually. Look it up.

somebodynew 8 years, 8 months ago

OK - I know (don't care) that these threads get side-tracked, BUT an argument over proper english ??!!?? This is just too much, even for the LJW.

Guess that is more important than a gun that is missing in the community where there are a bunch of little kids around.

OK, off my soap box now. Carry-on and MD is correct - this is a never ending argument.

KURocks 8 years, 8 months ago

oneeye wilbur:

Ya and Eudora is also such a special place. If you hate lawrence so much, why don't ya just read the Eudora paper.

funkdog1 8 years, 8 months ago

It's not a "never ending argument' when it comes to whether or not the noun "couple" is singular.

It is singular. Period. One "couple". Multiple "couples".

Just because the idea of a word denotes plurality does not make the word grammatically plural.

Same with the word "family". One singular "family", plural "families."

If you don't understand grammar, shut your pie hole.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 8 months ago

roger - this is how it always is, in every thread. It's what makes reading the threads fun.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 8 months ago

hannahss - the sentance in question is "Sgt. Michael McLaren said the couple, a 20-year-old man and his 19-year-old wife, was on vacation doing target practice. They had three handguns in their car." The correct word is "was".

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 8 months ago

"Doesn't matter how many clauses you put between the noun and the verb, the verb always takes its number from the operating noun of the setence."

Then why do we say "were" when refering to a group? "The band were running away from the concert-goers."

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

funkdog1,

Were you replying to more than one poster? Or, were you replying to a "singular" poster that eats multiple pies?

Should it be "shut your pie's hole"?

Or,

"shut your pie holes"?

funkdog1 8 years, 8 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad:

We Americans DON'T say "The band were running away from concert goers." We say "The band was running away from concert goers."

The Brits say "The band were running away from concert goers," but that's a whole other matter.

Practicality: I used the pronoun "you" which is singular. Therefore, you shut your pie hole. (I'm not really telling YOU to shut your pie hole. Just making a point.)

I might have said: "All of you people who think you know grammar but don't need to shut your pie holes." But I didn't.

As far as shutting your pie's hole, I don't know many people who would want to do that.

funkdog1 8 years, 8 months ago

Okay this is really bugging me.

Pywacket: I don't know who is "hotly" debating this. (Except me, right now.)

The word COUPLE is SINGULAR. If it were also plural, then we WOULDN'T HAVE THE WORD COUPLES. See the "s" on the end?

It's not like the word "deer" which may be singular or plural.

classclown 8 years, 8 months ago

omg!!! wtf!!! this iz teh intirnet proporr spelleng a nd gramer has no place hearz everywun iz spozzed 2 do it so that noone can tale witch peepolz reely kant spel sothat we can bee tolorent of thosem ore ignerent then usand not be hurtin they're feelengs becuz noone gradu8s skool nemore nowing how 2 spel corectley.dont B h8ers

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 8 months ago

OldEnuf - we don't. It should be "the band was running away from the concert-goers."

roger - I was referring to the bashing being fun, not the guns and violence.

classclown 8 years, 8 months ago

roger_gilchrist (Anonymous) says…

Hi everyone. This is my number one time on here, and from what I've seen, we need to quit all the personal bashing and focus on the article. There is increased violence in Lawrence and we need to do something about it. Instead of using this thread to bash each other with negative things, let's work together to try and make Lawrence beautiful again. For starters, any ideas?

====================================

As you stated, you are new here. That is why we will forgive you for this transgression. However, do see to it that it never happens again.

Welcome to the world of LJW comment sections.

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

I think we need a poll!

Someone post one, I do not know how.

somebodynew 8 years, 8 months ago

blue73harley - And I think I need all of them right now.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 8 months ago

Seriously? We need a poll to tell us what is the correct grammar? It's like math; there is only one correct answer. Some people may be willing to tolerate looser grammar rules, but that doesn't make it correct.

Stu Clark 8 years, 8 months ago

Do a Google. Apparently the "couple" usage qustion is somewhat ambiguous. That makes Multi right about the persistence of the debate. Smart people will move on.

BWENGER 8 years, 8 months ago

Technically, one should say "the couple is on vacation." To say the "couple was on vacation" would, to me, mean they were on vacation, but are now gone from Lawrence. No body here knows if they have left or not, so "The couple is still on vacation." Makes sense, huh. I'm not even a journalist.

Jeff Plinsky 8 years, 8 months ago

On the grammar question, there is no debate possible. "Couple" is singular as used here. Remove the parenthetical phrase from the sentence and it will sound better to the ear - “Sgt. Michael McLaren said the couple, a 20-year-old man and his 19-year-old wife, was on vacation doing target practice." changes to "Sgt. Michael McLaren said the couple was on vacation doing target practice."

Using "were" would require the subject to somehow be made plural. For example, "Sgt. Michael McLaren said both members of the couple were on vacation doing target practice." In that case, "members" functions as the subject of the sentence. Since it is plural, "were" would be correct. (And yes, I recognize how clunky that sentence sounds. Marion will no dobt file that away for when I am nominated to the Supreme Court.)

The AP style guide doesn't dodge the question so much as it has a different agenda. It's answer is both grammatically correct, and uses as few characters as possible - making more room for other print on the newspage, and thus increasing the potential to earn advertising dollars. (De style guide wuz writ before teh internets wuz created.)

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

This entire sentence is a mess when one really examines it. Should it read:

Sgt. Michael McLaren said, "The couple (a 20-year-old man and his 19-year-old wife) was on vacation doing target practice."

I also do not like the use of the phrase "doing target practce" after they said "was on vacation".

It seems to only make sense if they were quoting Sgt. McLaren, who isn't too concerned about speaking properly if that was the case.

Jeff Plinsky 8 years, 8 months ago

Practicality -

You are correct about the quotation marks. But the commas function to seperate the parenthetical phrase just as the parentheses do in your example. AP style may allow either, but I'm guessing it calls for commas instead of parenthesis. Kealing, what does your style manual say?

Flap Doodle 8 years, 8 months ago

marioni's getting all hepped up about his double aught spy days again. I think an intense blustering front is approaching from Wyandotte County. Expect partly cloudy skies with a 100% chance of the retelling of fictional exploits.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 8 months ago

BWENGER - I'd say my vacation was over when I got arrested, even if I was still in the vacation locale.

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

I used parentheses in my example because I had doubted Sgt. McLaren would have actually stated "a 20-year-old- man and his 19-year-old wife" part. I further assumed that if he did not actually say that part, it was the LJW reporter clarifying "couple" for the reader and thus not approriate to be actually included in the quotations. But, I am neither an English or Journalism major.

This is all a guess on my part concerning the fact I do not even know if the LJW reporter was actually even quoting Sgt. McLaren.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 8 months ago

Every time I watch Mythbusters, the narrarator uses the plural when referencing the cast, as in "the team are going to have some difficulty" and it catches my attention every time. I'm getting confused...

Also, what was this news story about, anyway?

somebodynew 8 years, 8 months ago

OldEnuf

The story was about an english lesson class and someone lost a firearm - - or was it about Marion and car trunks - but it had an off shore spy connection somehow, but I think the professor was on vacation.

classclown 8 years, 8 months ago

"...but I think the professor was on vacation."

=============================

Or a three hour tour perhaps?

woodenfleaeater 8 years, 8 months ago

Old Enuf......This story goes like this: This guy stole a couch with a puppy hidden in it, led the cops on a chase. while on the chase, he swerved to miss a chicken in the road, hit a guy on a motorcycle, broke out his front windshield, and was airlifted to the hospital with a broken rib.

brujablanco 8 years, 8 months ago

classclown (Anonymous) says…

“…but I think the professor was on vacation.”

=============================

Or a three hour tour perhaps?

The professor was hot - marioni is not..............

Marion:

Calling your bluff, baby - where's the beef? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

verity 8 years, 8 months ago

I diagrammed the sentence and "was" is definitely correct.

However, I could not get the diagram to import into the comments box.

Flap Doodle 8 years, 8 months ago

BTW, still having a wonderful internet life.

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

People, People, People

Stop being so judgemental. In North Carolina, young couples who go out of town to go target practicing, get in domestic squallables, run down streets dropping handguns all over the place all willy-nilly, destroying their own property and getting arrested is called a HONEYMOON!

Flap Doodle 8 years, 8 months ago

Oh, that pesky Bill of Rights! Barry's all about fixing it up the Chicago Way & don'll be right there helping.

verity 8 years, 8 months ago

donald_gilchrist, good grief you've gone and done it now with your 3:35 post. I'm surprised you haven't been gasolined and torched already by the screeching I need my assault rifle to protect myself against the guvmint crowd. They must be tired from spending all day typing on the intertubes and are napping.

RoeDapple 8 years, 8 months ago

I were going to ask for a slice of that pie but were told I were too late..............

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

Could someone please tell me if this is the correct verb usage?

"If a couple was to go to a seminar, where couples were discussing a couple of questions concerning coupling, would said couple be obligated to pay the fee of a couple of hundred dollars per couple if they were to leave after a couple of minutes?”

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

Could someone please tell me if this is the correct verb usage?

“If a couple was to go to a seminar, where couples were discussing a couple of questions concerning coupling, would said couple be obligated to pay the fee of a couple of hundred dollars per couple if they were to leave after a couple of minutes?”

gimme a couple minutes!

4/20 stands for marijuana/maryjane/pot/weed/wackytobaccie/the magic herb/blunt ... get it, got it, good.
d now we have gilchrist cousins passing high-level family information on the thread???

a couple from north carolina goes to lawrence, on vacation. they bring handguns in their Milan. where's the pit bulls?

is this just another average honeymoon by lovers from north carolina. you know, john edwards was from north carolina, so maybe the girl half of that "couple" had good reason for dousing him with brew. I always hated john edward's accent, not to mention he was an ambulance chasing medical malpractice lawyer. oh, and Merrill endorsed him for president too, how can we forget that! what is the similarity between this NC boy and john edwards?

they caught them running from the party in the 100 block of east 9th. hey, they almost made it to: headquarters; penny annie; or the eldridge. you suppose the eldridge was their ultimate destination? and the john edwards wannabe just happens to lose a gun. maybe he intended to lose that gun before he was stopped, because maybe that gun had a history?

Alexander Neighbors 8 years, 8 months ago

Missing a hand gun ? Check the pawn shops........

need a fantastic crazy made up story to go with it contact Sgt. Dan Ward ask for a press release.

oldcat 8 years, 8 months ago

Actually the first place to check should be yellowhouse.

momfromlawrence 8 years, 8 months ago

How do you know these kids are not visiting family and there is a reason the guy was running? Maybe he was running to get away from his wife to cool down? Maybe he was trying to stop her from running him over when he hit the car? If you don't have all the facts, then you shouldn't judge someone. Maybe he had the guns on him because he didn't want someone at the party of drunks to get hurt? Don't just assume that everyone is here to do drugs.

camper 8 years, 8 months ago

A couple was....

A couple were...

I think a couple is singular. Just like a group or an audience.

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

My pie has no hole, but it is whole until sliced. It can usually feed a couple for a couple of days.

If I cut a crumb in half, do I have two halves of a crumb or two crumbs?

If a couple is on vacation for target practice and get arrested, do we say the couple is a loser, or that the couple are losers?

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

"It's 4:20 now, can someone please tell me what the heck the inside joke is with the time 4:20. Is that some homosexual reference I'm unaware of."

Yes, it means if you ask about 4:20 you are a homosexual.

RoeDapple 8 years, 8 months ago

donald_gilchrist (Anonymous) says…

"I'd say the outdated right to bear arms in this country needs a little tweaking to fit with 21st century reality. It's about time for Obama to come through on his promise. I, for one, want guns out of most Americans' hands. We should only give guns to qualified individuals, and we should require them to join a militia in order to possess and keep their gun licenses."

Geeez, donald, there are so many ways we could go here............

Okay.............

i gots enuf gunz 2 souply a smal 3rd werld country sya missuree or arkanasa but wut with the comin uprizn thiss summr im hanginon too everee 1 cause wiht ma bunkr ful of freze dryed beens an a trukfull of ammo i figger i wont evn hav to come out to empte the latreen fore leest bout 6 monthes but you didnt heer that frum me an im jest makin this al up incase them FIB ajents aer chekkin on me agin cuz me an my cuozins all 27 of thm well peopel on this papre alwaze they laffin bout my couzns but im tellng yuo thatwin the uprizen happnes youl be glad forwatevre you got even if its a luminium balbatt so yuo just cry al yuo want bout amercuns with gunz cuz wen the biosolidz strat fallin outa thesky yuoll be gladtherz peeple lik me an my cuzzins out ther to protek yer rite to comeon heer with yer fancy ritin so ther nanny nanny booboo.

an i aint gonna talk boutit no mor

beatrice 8 years, 8 months ago

"... and we should require them to join a militia in order to possess and keep their gun licenses.”

Aren't the types who join militias the very folks the recent Homeland Security report said we should keep an eye on?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

well they also said that people like me should be watched, Bea. that simply because I am prolife.

the Gilchrist brothers, married to sisters when they were seventeen and sixteen. the world is confusing and alien to them, they do understand dirt and martinis. and well dogs.

donald thinks the constitution is a changeable document and wants to empower Barry Hussein Obama to change the constitution at will; sorta disagrees with the vision of the founders! the two brothers cling to each other, knowing that in this difficult world, they can only count on family, each other, and braun.

or, are the Gilchrists actually kissing cousins? hmmm.

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

Just another North Carolina Honeymoon, no story here folks, move along now.

Practicality 8 years, 8 months ago

Vertigo,

you missed the family conversation between the Gilcrests, which had nothing to do with the above topics.

RoeDapple 8 years, 8 months ago

vertigo, There two basic rules for posting about articles (other than LJW's)

1. obey rules

2. aren't any

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 8 months ago

Tsk, tsk, donald. Never end a sentance with a preposition.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 8 months ago

roger - I write names the way the owner of the name does. Neither you nor donald chose to capitalize your names. I write 'em as I see 'em.

tonymontana 8 years, 8 months ago

it's funny how ronald mcdonald started out on the thread all peace loving and got completely dragged into the mudfest.

Jersey_Girl 8 years, 8 months ago

The average Jersey Girl could drag Ghandi into a mudfest. My dad was just telling me a story about a fellow Jersey Girl who kept shushing some guys in a class at KU the other week and finally told them to shut the F up. They waited for her outside of class, she challenged them to take it outside and ended up decking one of them, sending his two buddies running. We know how to handle igits.

RoeDapple 8 years, 8 months ago

Jersey_Girl

My Buddah could whip your Gandi any day...................

:-p

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

okay Donnie gilchrist, of course I know about amendments, but Barry Obama has nothing to do with amending the constitution. sounds more like he is your messiah: said on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives by Rep. S. Cohen, D of TN "Barack was a community organizer, like Jesus was."

please, gilchrist, stick to what you understand: martinis and dirt...and play them banjos.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

shame they've been released [the NC couple, not the gilchrist brothers/cousins]. I was hoping the "couple" could share tips on marital bliss and get them in the paper before they left for Mayberry.

next stop on the love tour? Arkansas?

Louisiana?
Eudora?

or "coming soon to a ladder in west lawrence!"

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

P.S. Donnie you might wish to read some of my recent posts, click on my screenname to get to "view all" and you can see a bit more about who I really am. I will add it appears you, sir, are a carpetbagger not of lawrence and simply squatting on these comment threads.