Archive for Monday, April 20, 2009

Henry brothers close to making decision; father says no visit to Kentucky, but later says visit on tap

KU recruit Xavier Henry, right, and brother C.J. take in the Late Night festivities in this 2005 file photo. C.J. was admitted to KU on Tuesday.

April 20, 2009, 11:15 a.m. Updated April 20, 2009, 1:40 p.m.

Henrys won't visit UK (unless they do)

Just when you thought the Xavier and C.J. Henry saga was coming to a close, think again. Enlarge video

Reader poll
Do you think recruit Xavier Henry will choose Kansas?

or See the results without voting

C.J. Henry, who hadn’t been heard from publicly the past couple of weeks during the Henry brothers’ recruiting saga, spoke to Kentucky.rivals.com on Monday night.

He had the last word on a day in which there were conflicting reports from his dad, Carl, on whether basketball prospects C.J. and Xavier Henry would be making a trip to Kentucky this week in advance of their choosing either Kansas University, Kentucky or Memphis.

“I don’t think there are any plans to do that,” C.J. Henry said, asked by Kentucky.rivals.com about a possible trip to Lexington. “We might. I don’t know. I guess we need to talk about it.”

Former KU player Carl Henry told both the Journal-World and Kansas.rivals.com in separate interviews Monday morning that his sons told him no trip to Kentucky would be made this week.

Two hours later, Carl told Zagsblog.net that a trip to Kentucky indeed would be on tap.

“They told me they want to get it (recruiting) over with and really don't need to make a visit to Kentucky,” Carl told the J-W. “They know the styles of play of both coaches and will make a decision without making any more visits. That's what they told me.”

Later, Carl told Zagsblog that Xavier called, and his youngest son told dad he definitely wanted to visit Kentucky.

On Monday night, C.J. Henry, who was a 6-foot-3, non-scholarship, red-shirt guard this year on Memphis’ basketball team, indicated “nothing has changed. It’s still Memphis, Kentucky, Kansas. All I know is that wherever it is, we just want to play together.”

That may be able to happen only at Memphis.

C.J., unless he wins an appeal, will have to sit out a season if he transfers to either KU or Kentucky. Xavier, a 6-6 guard from Oklahoma City’s Putnam City High School, insists he will only play one year of college basketball prior to entering the NBA Draft.

“Mainly we’re just looking for a place to play basketball and get a good education,” C.J. Henry told Kentucky.rivals.com. “I think we could probably do that at any of these schools.”

C.J. told the Web site it was a five-hour drive from his hometown of Oklahoma City to Lawrence, seven hours to Memphis and 14 hours to Kentucky.

“That won’t be the main factor, though. The main thing is being able to get the job done and get to the next level,” C.J. said, not giving the Web site a date for his decision.

Comments

jspawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Finally! A ending to all this recruiting madness is near. I hope that both Xavier and CJ come, but Lance will do just fine sporting the Crimson and Blue.

Rock Chalk National Championship 2010!!!

Jeff Kilgore 5 years, 8 months ago

X and CH or Lance, either way.

But let's start with the noncon and win those first. Then focus on the league. No crowning of champions. They haven't won a single game yet.

RickL 5 years, 8 months ago

I was under the impression that CJ had to get an exemption from the NCAA to play anywhere other than Memphis next year (without sitting out again for another season) as he was on their roster last season. I have not heard the outcome of his appeal. Did I miss that news somewhere or are they not as committed to playing together next year as they had previously led on?

oldcat 5 years, 8 months ago

Hope Self will tell these guys good bye, who needs them?

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

How many times is that for Carl to put his foot in his mouth? Enough already. I'm bettin' they go to UK.

TexiKan 5 years, 8 months ago

Do we really need these two divas, especially when Henry has said he will be a one and done player? Let's go after Wall or Stephenson and get it over with.

Graczyk 5 years, 8 months ago

Okay. I'm new to the KU basketball tradition. I didn't follow KU (or college b-ball for that matter) until I moved out here last year. But I am starting to wonder - are these guys really KU material? If Xavier really is one-and-done then how much can he really help the team? He's not a foundation block that you build on. He's a shot of nitro that propels you forward for a very short time. If he's here will be be a ball-hog diva and disrupt the other good things that we have developing just to leave us in worse condition than when he got here? While I am all for recruiting electrifying players, in my idealistic world I would like to have a guy stick around for a few years so we can get to know him, so he really understands the awesome tradition at KU and can make his place in it, so he can contribute to the on-going success of the program. I'm not sure I see any of that in this guy. I admit that I'm ignorant, but I'm starting to wonder if we really want (or need) this guy.

Bobo Fleming 5 years, 8 months ago

To Gracyk- no your not ignorant. I have watched KU BB since before Wilt and I am thinking the same thing. Who needs these guys?

liveyourlife07 5 years, 8 months ago

We don't need someone who is going to come in here and be a glory hog. It's time to move on and recruit one of the other guys before we lose out on all of them.

RickL 5 years, 8 months ago

True the "one and doners" can present problems but look at what they do bring as well. Carmello almost singlehandedly took Syracuse to the Championship a few years ago. look what Greg Oden did for Ohio State in his one season. think what Lebron COULD have done if the current age rule was in place when he was a HS senior. Look what D. Rose did for Memphis just the year b4 - within a few seconds of propelling Memphis over the Jayhawks in the championship game. The right one of these types players can make the difference between a good team and a championship team.

DRsmith 5 years, 8 months ago

Stephenson could also be a one and doner.

Scott Bonnet 5 years, 8 months ago

Enough!!!! Sign Stephenson. These guys don't want to be here. Go to Kentucky.

shockchalk 5 years, 8 months ago

logrithmic said it best..........At KU they can win a championship and at UK, they won't. Either way, it's not worth worrying about, they'll pick KU soon enough.

hesshawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Quit chasing the prima dona's and go find the sleeper that everyone else has missed. You know, the guy that might a couple of years' coaching to really make a contribution, but will stay in the system long enough to be known by the fans. And be here because of the tradition, not for a one-year appearance on his way to the show

jaywalker 5 years, 8 months ago

Just to play the flip side: Wall won't be coming here since Sherron's comin' back, they both play the point. He's definitely a one and doner and wants to be the showpiece, not second string. I'm not high on one and doners at KU either, however, in terms of next years team and having another scorer, either Stephenson or Henry would immediately provide that. These are guys that would be goin' straight to the NBA if not for the rule, and Henry would probably be a lottery pick. Anyone valued that highly by the Bigs would certainly have an impact. And when expectations are already high for the 'Hawks level of success next season, i.e. a potential championship team, having one of these guys just for next season could be highly advantageous.

All that said, won't bother me if none commit, but get used to the one and doners. We'll have one sooner or later.

Leprechaunking13 5 years, 8 months ago

Im really glad that HCBS handles the recruits and recruiting process. Remember the first batch of HIS recruits were seniors on a National Champion team. Dont, PLEASE dont, make uneducated comments about recruits jayhawk fans. It is very likely you will be cheering for the recruit/s we get out of this deal. Yes if we get the Henrys, Xavier is likely a one and done player but CJ isn't. Remember a few short years ago B Rush was projected as one and done, and we got 3 solid years from him(even if the third year was because of injury)! Its been said, but here it is again without the Henrys or Lance we are preseason top 5. With some heavy handed veteran scrappers and 2 possible All American candidates, we will be effing good! Get pumped Jayhawk Nation!!!!!! Its a good time to bleed crimson and blue!!

johnjohn 5 years, 8 months ago

Sorry, guy. CJ will have to sitout a year no matter where he goes. The NCAA only grants a waiver on dire situations -- cancer of a parent, death, etc.

CJ will not be playing for anyone, but memphis next year.

johnjohn 5 years, 8 months ago

There is a report out that Self told the boys that there would be no place for them if they went on a UK trip. thememphisroar.com

johnjohn 5 years, 8 months ago

“It depends on if my brother can get out of his thing and go transfer and play his first year,” Xavier said. “If he can’t then I might still play with him at Memphis. I don’t know yet.”

RickL 5 years, 8 months ago

Is CJ actually any good?? He hasn't played in what 4 years - with the baseball effort and all. Is he just baggage to bring along or can he actually expect to get any meaningful minutes even if all did work out to get him to KU?

weeslicket 5 years, 8 months ago

imo: whatever. these kids are just kids who are trying to make the best decision they can. leave them be and let the family come to a decision.

IraMeanwell 5 years, 8 months ago

This is absurd. Recruit and sign somebody that wants to come to KU. Why waste time with a one-and-done kid, and his brother, who care only about the NBA bucks and not about being a part of the Jayhawk program?

And that's not to mention perhaps coming to Lawrence to get an education. We still offer that at KU, don't we?

Eride 5 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, what is wrong with you guys? These kids are taking their time to make a decision that will affect the REST of their lives. I just recently went through this same thing trying to decide what law school to go through. It came down to the last day before I finally made up my mind.

Stop being so selfish, this decision is about them, not you, not the program, THEM.

John Hamm 5 years, 8 months ago

For pete's sake two high-schoolers who'll get a million dollar free ride to college based on basketball while millions of other more deserving students won't get a thing.

think_about_it 5 years, 8 months ago

What makes others more deserving? Why would KU athletics give a scholarship to a non athlete student?

Steve Jacob 5 years, 8 months ago

I am sure European teams have called him. Brandon Jennings went last year out of high school and got $1.2 million in salary and endorsements last season.

rtwngr 5 years, 8 months ago

C.J said they wanted to find a school to get a good education but Xavier has said that he is going to the NBA after one season. I don't quite understand. How can you get a good education if you leave after one year?

johnjohn 5 years, 8 months ago

Memphis fan here. I'm sure anyone knows where X will go. He is just a kid. I think in the end he will go his way and his brother will stay at Memphis. CJ will only get to play next year at Memphis.

With a PG next year, Memphis will be a top 8 club by the end of the seasons. They will be much better up-front than in many years.

I think Uk (not KU) has something wrong w/ their values. They will have taken all but 2-3 Memphis recruits. UK by the end of the year will be a top 8 club.

johnjohn 5 years, 8 months ago

I think it is down to 3 schools... Kansas.. UK .. and MAYBE Memphis...

johnjohn 5 years, 8 months ago

CJ played for the Yankees Farm Team. I understand that the Yankees have to pay for his education. He may not count as a scholarship.

shadowbox66044 5 years, 8 months ago

Give them time. Most everyone here needs to take a chill-pill. I'm sure C.J. is looking around for a school that could use his skills over the next three years, and his brother Xavier wants to go with him to the same school, most likely only for a year before going on to the NBA. So let them take their time. It doesn't make any difference at all if they choose tonight, tomorrow, or even next month. And two more things. 1. Carl Henry is a former Jayhawk, please people don't bad mouth him. 2. Whoever is saying UK doesn't have a chance for the title next year better think again. They have Jodie Meeks coming back, along with two 5 star recruits and a 4 star small forward coming in for the 09-10 season. Add in a proven coach in Calipari, and they are going to make a deep run in the tournament for the title.

Stephenson = Trouble. I've pasted two articles i think people should read. Stephenson is carrying some serious baggage. http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2008/10/18/2008-10-18_lincoln_high_school_hoops_phenom_lance_s.html http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2008/01/10/2008-01-10_lincoln_basketball_star_in_altercation.html